As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We're all just doing our best for our [Kids]

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Can anyone recommend me toys for a one year old?

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »

Buy anything that comes in a box. They will play with the box. Or the packing tape.

50433.png?1708759015
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular

Some nice blocks?

Theres a brand of blocks called Uncle Goose that
    a) are excellent quality
    b) feature great content like constellations or sign language or characters is multiple languages (we have ones with hiragana)
    c) made in America by a family company
    d) reasonably priced

My boy is 14 months and recently got really into playing with blocks

#pipe wrote: »

Some nice blocks?

Theres a brand of blocks called Uncle Goose that
    a) are excellent quality
    b) feature great content like constellations or sign language or characters is multiple languages (we have ones with hiragana)
    c) made in America by a family company
    d) reasonably priced

My boy is 14 months and recently got really into playing with blocks

Oh they are lovely! I'll see if I can get them shipped here reasonably, thanks!

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    It doesn't have to be those!
    Nice wooden blocks are pretty much always good.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

When I was 1 my father, on his death bed, gave me his sword and with his final breath made me swear an oath to destroy the Roman empire.

It was a pretty fun toy but I eventually got hooked on videogames and forgot about it.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    TheStig wrote: »

When I was 1 my father, on his death bed, gave me his sword and with his final breath made me swear an oath to destroy the Roman empire.

It was a pretty fun toy but I eventually got hooked on videogames and forgot about it.

Hm

That'd certainly make me a cool auntie.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    r2fW2o7_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I'll second the Uncle Goose blocks. We've got the Hebrew alphabet set.

But yeah, any blocks would be good. I'm pretty sure that Ellie got her first baby doll for her first birthday as well.

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Wow those are beautiful. My daughter is a bit too old I think? Maybe?

Maybe I could just get some for me >>

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    We did our annual easter egg hunt again this year; a week late because one kid was sick last week, but it still worked out.

This year, they had to:

Find puzzle pieces we'd hidden:
    Fsqqgmr.jpgpyF23OE.jpg

Solve the resulting jigsaw:
    0ggdx6Y.jpg
    GkM2S2I.jpg

Work out where the image pointed at; this year, hidden under the cushion of the dog bed:
    40MkFZo.jpg

Under there was a crossword (PII redacted):
    FNUDaXX.jpg

Once they'd solved the crossword, the highlighted letters were an anagram that needed solving:
    C0maywm.jpg

The solution was "WIND CHIMES". So they had to find those (pretty easy) and then find the next clue which was rolled up and tucked inside:
    6n1YJEk.jpg
    mzGAJDP.jpg

That was a math puzzle which they had to solve (PII removed again):
    wBh8tRR.jpg

and then do that many jumps on the trampoline. Except that this year we still had one kid with leftover sickness, and it was super snowy; bouncing on a trampoline with a foot of snow is tricky, so we were a bit more lenient with them about the numbers and divided it by four:
    uxjQEWn.jpg

Once they'd done that many bounces and, due to snow, flosses, they had to solve this puzzle:
    GrhtU5c.jpg

"no clocks" rhymes with "roblox", and if you search for the user "2019easteregghunt" on roblox, it's me and you'll find two easter egg hunts that I made in the Roblox editor, where you have to find a dozen eggs (note: roblox's developer documentation for how variables work between bits of scripting is not the greatest, I have to say, sheesh):
    JgYwsaz.jpg
    yrUkFBd.jpg

Once they'd found all the eggs in each world (you can install roblox and try the first (village) one if you like, it works; the second (castle) one has a dozen eggs but doesn't count down properly any more for some reason) they'd get the results "I-Y-O-B-D" "-N-U-R-E-S".

The solution there is to interleave them, which makes "INYOURBEDS". If they went off to look in their beds, they found the two halves of this riddle:
    v8xkMmS.jpg

The answer to which is 'pots and pans':
    ue1kgQr.jpgF28F92X.jpg

and thus they got their easter baskets of chocolate:
    WN4T97z.jpg
    (with bonus little stuffies that play the 'baby shark' song when squeezed, which I only regret _A HUGE AMOUNT_ at this point)

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    Wow those are beautiful. My daughter is a bit too old I think? Maybe?

Maybe I could just get some for me >>

Never too old.

Besides, they'll help with Hebrew school.

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    His school is Hebrew school <3 Seriously he is doing his homework right now and he's reading four and five letter words in Hebrew. Crazy. I'm not ready for a 6-year-old.

On that note, 4-second emotional roller coaster:

He had to go to school today for the end-of-break Lice Check. So we pull up to the synagogue where his school is, and there were a ton of people there. I'm thinking "did everyone come in at four on the dot for their stupid check? boy we are going to be waiting in line with potentially lice-covered children forever." So we pull around to the front to see if there were any spaces. Parked next to the entrance was a police SUV. Okay... why are there police here for a lice check. No parking though, so we pull around to the side and saw news vans from two different stations and why are there news vans and police at this synagogue right now. We find a spot and I go to the internet for an answer because there are no sirens or anything. Apparently they had a big thing going on for Yom HaShoah (Holocaust Memorial Day), which is on Thursday. There was a survivor speaking, and so that's why there were all those people and the news and the police and everything. I was pretty relieved until I remembered that the thing was for Yom HaShoah and everything that comes with the nature of the event.

After Saturday the whole thing was a little scarier than it might have been the week before.

Oh gosh my heart would have been in my chest as well. Glad it was nothing to worry about.

Does anybody else's kid so that weird creepy whispering gibberish right before going to sleep? Like I know I'm not her favourite, but I'd rather she not put hexes on me yet.

Ok. Super Wings season two is not as good as one.

• ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Beauty and the Beast is done! Pretty much everything that could have gone wrong did go wrong, from little stuff (last minute choreo changes) to medium stuff (built some sets backstage only to discover they wouldn't fit through the passage to onstage) to big stuff ( main actor coming down with laryngitis, a Belle that can't sing makes for a it of a challenge). But ended up wonderful anyways, and I got to literally shine a spotlight on this guy in his biggest role yet (Lefou, who has a bigger role in the play adaptation than in the movie). Which he absolutely nailed and got some of the best reactions of the whole show. Even after he took his bow here he still got a laugh, Gaston ended up carrying him off to the side.

spoilered for size . I wasn't the photographer and I wish it hadn't come out so blurry but the idea is there at least.
    jhkp3otwq7ul.jpg

• MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Haha... lice. My kids both had lice on Saturday. I didn't realize they had lice (they have dry scalp, so itch their heads all the time) until later in the day, when I see something crawling on the eldest's head. Who knows how long they've had it! Super fun.
    We had a kit, since it's been going around at both of their schools, and got to work. Now I get to nit-pick every day for at least a week, and shampoo them again next Saturday. Glad we caught it on the weekend so that it could be treated with no missed school. They have a no-lice policy, not a no-nit policy. The youngest hates getting his hair wet, so getting it damp for the nit-combing is fun.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Oh gosh my heart would have been in my chest as well. Glad it was nothing to worry about.

Does anybody else's kid so that weird creepy whispering gibberish right before going to sleep? Like I know I'm not her favourite, but I'd rather she not put hexes on me yet.

Recently Sapling has switched to talking fairly loudly, but for a long time she would do this, and it was super weird.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Yup, after beating lice 6 months ago, we discovered them on my eldest's head again last weekend. Weird thing this time was several bugs were found but hardly any nits. Of course, we still have to continue to search and nit pick for the next few weeks, but it seems like it was a pretty quick resolution this time. (FINGERS CROSSED!!)

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    Beauty and the Beast is done! Pretty much everything that could have gone wrong did go wrong, from little stuff (last minute choreo changes) to medium stuff (built some sets backstage only to discover they wouldn't fit through the passage to onstage) to big stuff ( main actor coming down with laryngitis, a Belle that can't sing makes for a it of a challenge). But ended up wonderful anyways, and I got to literally shine a spotlight on this guy in his biggest role yet (Lefou, who has a bigger role in the play adaptation than in the movie). Which he absolutely nailed and got some of the best reactions of the whole show. Even after he took his bow here he still got a laugh, Gaston ended up carrying him off to the side.

spoilered for size . I wasn't the photographer and I wish it hadn't come out so blurry but the idea is there at least.
    jhkp3otwq7ul.jpg

Awesome! Being part of the theatre department was probably my favorite part of high school, and also one of the only reasons I managed to graduate on time.

Make sure you get some solid pictures of him and the rest of the cast. That's pretty much the only thing I regret about all that.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

edited April 2019
    Haha... lice. My kids both had lice on Saturday. I didn't realize they had lice (they have dry scalp, so itch their heads all the time) until later in the day, when I see something crawling on the eldest's head. Who knows how long they've had it! Super fun.
    We had a kit, since it's been going around at both of their schools, and got to work. Now I get to nit-pick every day for at least a week, and shampoo them again next Saturday. Glad we caught it on the weekend so that it could be treated with no missed school. They have a no-lice policy, not a no-nit policy. The youngest hates getting his hair wet, so getting it damp for the nit-combing is fun.

My biggest fear about lice is the worry that we would need to clean literally everything for literally days. I might just have to make sure they're all gone off us and then burn the place down and start over. Even standing in line for a lice check I'm like "hey potential lice mobile, get away from my child or he lives with you now."

ceres on
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I'm totally stealing the jigsaw puzzle idea for next year. I really like that.

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    We've been bundling the pieces up per-row, because without a picture of the final image to go from, it's a lot harder to solve a jigsaw, but just giving them the final image straight away would sort of miss the point of that stage of the hunt. (the image this year was:
    aNhD0I5.jpg
    which has a lot of similar-to-itself textures so solving it with no extra help felt like a bit too much).

The last time we just had them find individual pieces was a few years ago, where the image (box of cat toys) was this one, where there's enough small distinct areas it seemed reasonable:
    btnBU7R.jpg

• Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    I got to discuss a little unprompted eastern existential philosophy with Mini-Dead as we were getting ready to go to Nana's yesterday:

Me: Ok, let's get ready go to Nana's!
    Her: Daddy? Who's Nana's mommy?
    Me: Well, that would be my grandmother, her name was Muriel
    Her: Oh! Is she dead?
    Me: I'm afraid so sweetie, she died a long time ago.
    Her: Did she become a baby?
    Me: Pardon? What do you mean sweetheart?
    Her: I think that when we die, we become babies again
    Me: Oh! Well sweetie, no one knows for sure, but, you know, a lot of other people believe that too!
    Her: (satisfied nod, proceeds to put on shoes)

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
    Man, I have no idea how I'm going to answer those questions. I have such a confused jumble of thoughts on all of it that I probably spend way too much time thinking on, and I have no idea how to distill it into something I can actually verbalize.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Man, I have no idea how I'm going to answer those questions. I have such a confused jumble of thoughts on all of it that I probably spend way too much time thinking on, and I have no idea how to distill it into something I can actually verbalize.

My go to is to ask my kid what they think and jump off from there. Better to clarify their thoughts than to let them into my personal chaos.

• Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

I feel ya!

For context, my wife and I are Canadians of Euro-Catholic stock, and I struggled about how to deal with the whole Santa Claus/Easter Bunny thing, as we're a non-religious household. But everyone loves gifts and candy, and we weren't going to deny her participating in ubiquitous western traditions! So my wife and I just decided to go with the flow and address questions as they come.

We put up a tree at Christmas (no manger) and did an egg hunt on Easter. She knows about Santa Claus and the story of Baby Jesus (but not its cultural significance, so far, all she knows about Jesus was that he was a special boy who was born on a magic day, but that's about it). Interestingly, however, the story of the ressurection, I noticed, hardly ever comes up in popular culture around Easter time unless you go seek it out, (it's all eggs and bunnies) so we haven't really needed to delve into that morass.

I'm taking a stance of "take it as it comes". We opted to sign her up to public school because we wanted her to be exposed to as many different cultures as possible. Her class is as multi-ethnic as can be, which I'm quite happy with, as I believe that being exposed to as many cultures as possible is going to be key to societal harmony in the near future, and I want her to be a part of that. If she finds comfort in coming to believe that we are reincarnated when we die, I will do absolutely nothing to disabuse her of that belief. Should we wish to learn more about institutional religion, I plan to be on hand to educate her as impartially as I can muster, but I will leave it to her to develop her own feelings on faith.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    kime wrote: »
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Okay TV counts as screen time, right? Ripley has no phone or tablet use but I've noticed if I have something on she'll sometimes just sit down and space out and stare at the screen.

It's usually Battlestar Galactica, but I still turn it off if I notice her watching.

Ripley is sixteen months.

TV is the classic "screen time" yes.

re: Llama llama TV show that was mentioned last page... My daughter loved the Llama llama books, so I thought it was funny when I noticed there was a show, too, and my wife and I watched a couple episodes. I don't like it! Basically, they padded it out to make the short stories fit into an episode length, and made each of the lessons worse imo.

The "Sharing" book is great about Llama llama not being able to share. In the TV episode, his friend is super rude and pushy and breaks all of his stuff until eventually Llama llama gets upset, then he gets yelled at. The "Be Patient" episode is similar, it's no longer about being patient with his mom having to run errands, but his mom just straight-up lies repeatedly to him, and ignores him for extended periods of time when he's trying to get her attention, until eventually again he loses his temper.

Kind of disappointing compared to the books imo. Not horrible, just not really something I liked. Maybe the other episodes are better.

hard disagree! Anna Dewdney is involved in the show from what I understand and I think the show teaches valuable lessons. The shopping one is real life, the mom doesn't lie, they're just busy. The lesson is both a lesson for the mom and the kid at the end, be more communicative but also more understanding and patient. also the kids destroys a whole aisle of the supermarket, even if you're trantruming that's a nono!

She's been dead for a few years. I would assume her estate is involved with the show, but that's not the same.

No judgement on the show's quality, because I haven't seen it. The books are fine.

I'm honest about fact-questions and tend to toss the question back a bit when it comes to the existential stuff.

What happens to our bodies when we die? Basics of decomposition at a 6-year-old level.
    Where do we go when we die? Well, what do you think might happen? The answer gets a "that's interesting" and some questions about it.

On that last one you can kind of get them thinking, with the added bonus of not necessarily having to say anything of substance. No need to worry about coming up with something yourself, giving a vague "no clue" which could be scary depending on the kid (mine is super sensitive and internalizes rather than ask a bunch of questions he's not sure he wants the answers to), or further reinforcing the idea that those particular answers come easily because I said so.

So far it's working out. He's six in a little more than a week and I probably don't have much longer before it's not good enough anymore, and that's fair, but right now I look at him and he's so big now and that blows my mind and I am in no way ready to have a six-year-old.

• MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    My husband and I are secular humanists, so we try to approach things from that perspective. My husband tries to instill a bit more whimsy in our kids' lives than I do, and my daughter absolutely believes fairies really exist, but Santa clause and the Easter bunny are just mom and dad.
    As lapsed Christians (Catholic and Episcopalian), I almost want to expose them to some church teachings, just to show them what they are in case the want to explore their own spirituality later. But at this point, my daughter is more immersed in Jewish tradition (her after-school program is with a Jewish organization) than Christian. We have so much going on in our lives, that teaching religions that we don't follow isn't top priority.
    As far as after-life, we're trying to teach that people still live in our hearts when they are gone. This lead to my daughter thinking our dog, who had passed away when she was a baby, literally took up residence inside her heart. Still working out the specifics on that one, but

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    One week of parental leave left, then I am back to work. Ugh.

My husband and I are secular humanists, so we try to approach things from that perspective. My husband tries to instill a bit more whimsy in our kids' lives than I do, and my daughter absolutely believes fairies really exist, but Santa clause and the Easter bunny are just mom and dad.
    As lapsed Christians (Catholic and Episcopalian), I almost want to expose them to some church teachings, just to show them what they are in case the want to explore their own spirituality later. But at this point, my daughter is more immersed in Jewish tradition (her after-school program is with a Jewish organization) than Christian. We have so much going on in our lives, that teaching religions that we don't follow isn't top priority.
    As far as after-life, we're trying to teach that people still live in our hearts when they are gone. This lead to my daughter thinking our dog, who had passed away when she was a baby, literally took up residence inside her heart. Still working out the specifics on that one, but

But is she really wrong? All dogs go to heaven, and I believe that heaven is the whimsy of a child's heart.

Which is said mildly in jest, but also maybe something close to what I believe? Idk, humanity clearly has some yearning for a deeper, philosophical answer to everything. At this point we go to church because I think having all the other kids for my daughter to interact with is useful, but at this point I've been going to the same church (with just now our second pastor) so long that none of the sermons really teach me anything new.

Lord, please grant me strength.

Daycare has just gotten a few live eggs in the classrooms. They should start hatching in the next few days.

Please, grant me the strength to be able to tell her that she cannot take a baby chicken home with her.

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Ha, good luck!

The kids were great tonight. First we played Machi Koro with Anya (while Niko played Smash), then I played My First Stone Age with Niko, while Anya played in the yard (she climbs the wisteria by the gate and hangs out up there). Then Anya read a book to Niko while I showered.

2019-04-29%2020.49.27.jpg

Daycare has just gotten a few live eggs in the classrooms. They should start hatching in the next few days.

Please, grant me the strength to be able to tell her that she cannot take a baby chicken home with her.

It'll be just like that episode of Friends!

Tonight I just about heart attack. Sapling's room is space themed, and so we have a bunch of pictures of spacey stuff up on the walls. Recently she has been pounding on the walls as part of her bed time routine (after we've turned out the lights and closed the door). Apparently this worked one of the paintings off the wall, and it fell shortly after putting her to sleep, landing on the edge of her crib and falling out. It scared the crap out of everyone though. Sapling was super confused and upset, and of course we were both terrified. Luckily everything seems to be fine now, although that painting is probably going back to goodwill/ the garbage.

Literally until this point I thought you were still talking about the lice

• mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    If Weyland Yutani ran a daycare center

ceres wrote: »

Literally until this point I thought you were still talking about the lice

I mean, that wasn't intentional, but I am highly amused by it at least

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    So we've finally built the last piece of nursery furniture.

The walls are a bit bare but we got some artwork, pictures and a mirror to hang. The cot bed is currently upstairs but will eventually move on to here.

57d3g2h2tat8.jpeg
    cnmszo9x642q.jpeg
    a58i3pu9zdys.jpeg

SharpyVII wrote: »
    So we've finally built the last piece of nursery furniture.

The walls are a bit bare but we got some artwork, pictures and a mirror to hang. The cot bed is currently upstairs but will eventually move on to here.
    57d3g2h2tat8.jpeg
    cnmszo9x642q.jpeg
    a58i3pu9zdys.jpeg

Just a tip, make sure those paintings are as well adhered to the wall as possible.

This discussion has been closed.