As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer Fantasy Battles: Skaven eat cheese (when they are given it).

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    It's not particularly likely, but personally, I'd love it if they decided to bring back the Skytitans in Age of Sigmar as their own faction.

429pw0fg4qfj.jpg

Still I am kind of well dismayed and curious why they have not put out army books for the various flavors of Elf in AoS

The precursors to giants, with an actual civilization before the Ogres killed them all or drove them off. Or are you curious why I'd want them?

I mean I like the idea, and I think it would be cool what with so many factions coming back despite being "utterly destroyed" in the End Times that the Skytitans might have found a way to revitalize themselves.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    @Brainleech Sky titans were the intelligent, civilized, but hermetic ancestors of Warhammer's giants. They lived in mountaintop castles on the highest peaks in the world, well above the cloud layer, and only came down to tend mammoth herds for food. Sky titans would become increasingly sedentary as they got older, eventually becoming one with the mountains they lived on. The sky titans race and culture were eradicated by the ogres during their first big migration westward after the ogres' god, the Great Maw, crashed into their original homeland. But it is said that some found a way to make their castles fly, and escaped the purging of their race, though they never showed up again in Warhammer lore. The giant ironblaster cannons the ogres use (the one attached to a sled pulled by a woolly rhino) are stolen from the ruins of sky titan castles.

Basically, it's a bunch of backstory for the ogres and giants.

edit: hah, beaten to the punch. Should've known better than to reply to a thread I opened before lunch without refreshing first.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Since my main (i.e., only) AoS army is Beastclaw Raiders, I look forward to them eating all the sky titans, again.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Ok, I wasn’t aware their backstory had been developed* so much; that’s way cooler than the generic lived-in-the-mountains-until-they-got-et stuff I’d seen before.

*read: cribbed from Hayao Miyazaki.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    There's so much weird sci-fantasy crap in AoS, you could easily get a race of advanced giants. The history of the realm of fire mentioned a civilization of Volc-Giants also.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Of course this means we would also have to imagine a race of giants with a fully functioning civil economy, which in turn means giant lawyers in enormous suits that accidentally intimidate human witnesses just by leaning down to hear them better. Or possibly picking them up for the same purpose…

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    I've been replaying FF1 on the nes recently, and I'd forgotten how much sci-fi there is towards the end (I mean, I remembered WarMech, just not so much of the other stuff). I kinda like that, throwing in really out there stuff in an otherwise typical fantasy setting, just hidden in remote far-off places. I've also always been fond of floating islands/castles. My three favorite fantasy locales are 'above the clouds', 'old forest', and 'grassy highlands'. Bonus points whenever there's some kind of ancient or time-worn castle, temple, or ruins to explore.

Anyway, I guess my point is, I hadn't thought of sky titans being a thing in AoS, but that definitely seems like a cool idea to bring back around.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    So I think I finally figured out the AoS list I'm going to branch my Souls Wars Stormcast out in to:
    • Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger (General, so Sequitors count as Battleline)
    • Lord-Celestant on Stardrake
    • 20x Sequitors (w/ 9 Greatmauls)
    • 5x Judicators (w/ 1 Stormshock Bow)
    • 5x Evocators
    • 5x Evocators

1980 points. I'll buy a second Soul Wars Stormcast half from ebay, which leaves me just a box of Evocators, a box of Judicators and the Lord-Celestant to buy new. Plus a couple of Sequitors which I can also get loose models from ebay.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Ditching the Tolkien-ripoff setting opened them up to pretty much anything.

Basically we have a Masters of the Universe wargame now.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    New box, greenskins vs different Kind of greenskins.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/04/28/coming-soon-looncurse/

The revenant looks interesting. Not sure if there are maybe too many themes in there. Half tree, half elf, half spirit, half bug.

honovere on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    My brother calls them things from Not Wood elves to abominations as he is quite salty about how the Dryads got a redo when the two armies he plays have been benched

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    That grot squig based force looks amazing. The sylvaneth though aren't up my alley for painting or playing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I kind of wanted some squig stuff to add to my Ironjawz, so I'm splitting that box with a treehugger friend.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    So I think I finally figured out the AoS list I'm going to branch my Souls Wars Stormcast out in to:
    • 5x Evocators
    • 5x Evocators

1980 points. I'll buy a second Soul Wars Stormcast half from ebay, which leaves me just a box of Evocators, a box of Judicators and the Lord-Celestant to buy new. Plus a couple of Sequitors which I can also get loose models from ebay.

Looks decent to me, I'd be tempted to put the Evocators in one 10 model block, and both the Sequitors and Stardrake both love Lord-Castellant if you can figure out a way to squeeze one in.

I just managed to squeak in a 2nd place podium finish at a little 3-game, 2k tournament! 40 players and some gruesomely competitive lists, I was fortunate not to draw up against Skaven or FEC cos my list was almost certainly not up to the task of dealing with their particular brands of chicanery. Played against Stormcast, Stormcast and Nurgle in some incredibly close games, but came away with 3 major wins and 2nd place overall due to strengh of score/kill points breaking the tie, but I'll take 2nd anytime, certainly the highest I've ever got in a tournament before.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Am I the only one who isn't really into Night Goblins and wishes they would focus more on... every other kind of Goblin?

Also I really hope they bring back Tomb Kings and bring them back as an undead Faction fighting against Nagash, as is proper. I want to see the return of Settra the Imperishable
    Great King, Khemrikhara, The Great King of Nehekhara, King of Kings, Opener of the Way, Wielder of the Divine Flame, Punisher of Nomads, The Great Unifier, Commander of the Golden Legion, Sacred of Appearance, Bringer of Light, Father of Hawks, Builder of Cities, Protector of the Two Worlds, Keeper of the Hours, Chosen of Ptra, High Steward of the Horizon, Sailor of the Great Vitae, Sentinel of the Two Realms, The Undisputed, Begetter of the Begat, Scourge of the Faithless, Carrion-feeder, First of the Charnel Valley, Rider of the Sacred Chariot, Vanquisher of Vermin, Champion of the Death Arena, Mighty Lion of the Infinite Desert, Emperor of the Shifting Sands, He Who Holds The Sceptre, Great Hawk Of The Heavens, Arch-Sultan of Atalan, Waker of the Hierotitan, Monarch of the Sky, Majestic Emperor of the Shifting Sands, Champion of the Desert Gods, Breaker of the Ogre Clans, Builder of the Great Pyramid, Terror of the Living, Master of the Never-Ending Horizon, Master of the Necropolises, Taker of Souls, Tyrant to the Foolish, Bearer of Ptra's Holy Blade, Scion of Usirian, Scion of Nehek, The Great, Chaser of Nightmares, Keeper of the Royal Herat, Founder of the Mortuary Cult, Banisher of the Grand Hierophant, High Lord Admiral of the Deathfleets, Guardian of the Charnal Pass, Tamer of the Liche King, Unliving Jackal Lord, Dismisser of the Warrior Queen, Charioteer of the Gods, He Who Does Not Serve, Slayer off Reddittras, Scarab Purger, Favoured of Usirian, Player of the Great Game, Liberator of Life, Lord Sand, Wrangler of Scorpions, Emperor of the Dunes, Eternal Sovereign of Khemri's Legions, Seneschal of the Great Sandy Desert, Curserer of the Living, Regent of the Eastern Mountains, Warden of the Eternal Necropolis, Herald of all Heralds, Caller of the Bitter Wind, God-Tamer, Master of the Mortis River, Guardian of the Dead, Great Keeper of the Obelisks, Deacon of the Ash River, Belated of Wakers, General of the Mighty Frame, Summoner of Sandstorms, Master of all Necrotects, Prince of Dust, Tyrant of Araby, Purger of the Greenskin Breathers, Killer of the False God's Champions, Tyrant of the Gold Dunes, Golden Bone Lord, Avenger of the Dead, Carrion Master, Eternal Warden of Nehek's Lands, Breaker of Djaf's Bonds etc. etc.

One of the things I loved about the Tomb Kings, and hope they bring back, is that although they are undead (and tyrannical assholes) they treat their conquered living subjects as... subjects. And actually like rule over them, and attempt to do so justly (for their interpretation of justly which, see previous)

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    • 5x Evocators
    • 5x Evocators

Looks decent to me, I'd be tempted to put the Evocators in one 10 model block, and both the Sequitors and Stardrake both love Lord-Castellant if you can figure out a way to squeeze one in.

I just managed to squeak in a 2nd place podium finish at a little 3-game, 2k tournament! 40 players and some gruesomely competitive lists, I was fortunate not to draw up against Skaven or FEC cos my list was almost certainly not up to the task of dealing with their particular brands of chicanery. Played against Stormcast, Stormcast and Nurgle in some incredibly close games, but came away with 3 major wins and 2nd place overall due to strengh of score/kill points breaking the tie, but I'll take 2nd anytime, certainly the highest I've ever got in a tournament before.

My idea in keeping the Evactors as 2 x 5 was to get two spell casts instead of one, but I can easily try it both ways and see what works best! I'll check out the Lord-Castellant. Don't think I've read much of his warscroll yet.

e: Ahh, I see. He gives +1 save and Sequitors and the Stardrake have a 3+ save with a re-roll of 1. That is nice synergy.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    settra is gone man

let it go

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Every other asshole who ever croaked in the history of Warhammer is already back or probably going to come back, the dude's called the Imperishable, I feel like he should have a place at the table

Like the entirety of the elven race was devoured by the demonic embodiment of their greatest flaws, and THEY got to come back, and the guy who is infamous for being unkillable and always coming back doesn't? I will never let this go.

Lord_Asmodeus on
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    • 5x Evocators
    • 5x Evocators

My idea in keeping the Evactors as 2 x 5 was to get two spell casts instead of one, but I can easily try it both ways and see what works best! I'll check out the Lord-Castellant. Don't think I've read much of his warscroll yet.

e: Ahh, I see. He gives +1 save and Sequitors and the Stardrake have a 3+ save with a re-roll of 1. That is nice synergy.

Precisely, and if you really don't want to make any friends you can combo that with the Staunch Defender command trait to give them a further +1 to their saving throws.

• Options
    • 5x Evocators
    • 5x Evocators

Precisely, and if you really don't want to make any friends you can combo that with the Staunch Defender command trait to give them a further +1 to their saving throws.

I was kind of scratching my chin thinking "but a 1 always fails, why would you want a further +1"...oh right, because you can basically look at -2 rend and go "That's cute".

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Every other asshole who ever croaked in the history of Warhammer is already back or probably going to come back, the dude's called the Imperishable, I feel like he should have a place at the table

Like the entirety of the elven race was devoured by the demonic embodiment of their greatest flaws, and THEY got to come back, and the guy who is infamous for being unkillable and always coming back doesn't? I will never let this go.

Most named characters from Fantasy are deader than Elvis, which is why they got batshit send-off rules at the onset of AoS. The undead ones who made the cut did so by meeting 2 criteria:
    1. Being undead
    2. Not being Tomb Kings

• Options
    Yeah and that sucks. Tomb Kings are great. And like 1000x more interesting to me than "ghost army" and "ghoul army"

• Options
    Vlad and Isabella ain’t back. Neither is Krell

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Yet.

I mean just because GW hasn't released something so far, it doesn't mean they definitely won't. They've been adding to and re-introducing factions or sub-factions a few at a time.

Lord_Asmodeus on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Vlad and Isabella ain’t back. Neither is Krell

Krell is kind of
    https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Krell-Lord-of-Undeath

• Options
    Am I the only one who isn't really into Night Goblins and wishes they would focus more on... every other kind of Goblin?

Also I really hope they bring back Tomb Kings and bring them back as an undead Faction fighting against Nagash, as is proper. I want to see the return of Settra the Imperishable
    Great King, Khemrikhara, The Great King of Nehekhara, King of Kings, Opener of the Way, Wielder of the Divine Flame, Punisher of Nomads, The Great Unifier, Commander of the Golden Legion, Sacred of Appearance, Bringer of Light, Father of Hawks, Builder of Cities, Protector of the Two Worlds, Keeper of the Hours, Chosen of Ptra, High Steward of the Horizon, Sailor of the Great Vitae, Sentinel of the Two Realms, The Undisputed, Begetter of the Begat, Scourge of the Faithless, Carrion-feeder, First of the Charnel Valley, Rider of the Sacred Chariot, Vanquisher of Vermin, Champion of the Death Arena, Mighty Lion of the Infinite Desert, Emperor of the Shifting Sands, He Who Holds The Sceptre, Great Hawk Of The Heavens, Arch-Sultan of Atalan, Waker of the Hierotitan, Monarch of the Sky, Majestic Emperor of the Shifting Sands, Champion of the Desert Gods, Breaker of the Ogre Clans, Builder of the Great Pyramid, Terror of the Living, Master of the Never-Ending Horizon, Master of the Necropolises, Taker of Souls, Tyrant to the Foolish, Bearer of Ptra's Holy Blade, Scion of Usirian, Scion of Nehek, The Great, Chaser of Nightmares, Keeper of the Royal Herat, Founder of the Mortuary Cult, Banisher of the Grand Hierophant, High Lord Admiral of the Deathfleets, Guardian of the Charnal Pass, Tamer of the Liche King, Unliving Jackal Lord, Dismisser of the Warrior Queen, Charioteer of the Gods, He Who Does Not Serve, Slayer off Reddittras, Scarab Purger, Favoured of Usirian, Player of the Great Game, Liberator of Life, Lord Sand, Wrangler of Scorpions, Emperor of the Dunes, Eternal Sovereign of Khemri's Legions, Seneschal of the Great Sandy Desert, Curserer of the Living, Regent of the Eastern Mountains, Warden of the Eternal Necropolis, Herald of all Heralds, Caller of the Bitter Wind, God-Tamer, Master of the Mortis River, Guardian of the Dead, Great Keeper of the Obelisks, Deacon of the Ash River, Belated of Wakers, General of the Mighty Frame, Summoner of Sandstorms, Master of all Necrotects, Prince of Dust, Tyrant of Araby, Purger of the Greenskin Breathers, Killer of the False God's Champions, Tyrant of the Gold Dunes, Golden Bone Lord, Avenger of the Dead, Carrion Master, Eternal Warden of Nehek's Lands, Breaker of Djaf's Bonds etc. etc.

One of the things I loved about the Tomb Kings, and hope they bring back, is that although they are undead (and tyrannical assholes) they treat their conquered living subjects as... subjects. And actually like rule over them, and attempt to do so justly (for their interpretation of justly which, see previous)

Disagree about Night Goblins, but agreed on thinking they should bring Tomb Kings back.
    Yeah and that sucks. Tomb Kings are great. And like 1000x more interesting to me than "ghost army" and "ghoul army"

Disagree on the other undead armies (though I think FEC are kinda flat and they could do more with the theme), but agree that Tomb Kings are very interesting and it sucks they got squatted. They had such a cool model range, and the big ostentatious statuary models fit right in with the general thrust of AoS' aesthetic shift.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    feel sorry for the poor grots going up against horrifying tree ghost demons

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    DodgeBlan wrote: »

Don't worry, they are so high on shrooms they won't even notice.

• Options
    honovere wrote: »
    DodgeBlan wrote: »

Don't worry, they are so high on shrooms they won't even notice.

Yes, Night Goblins are secretly incredibly skilled fighters; their poor chance to hit actually represents the probability of identifying the real target amongst all the hallucinations.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2019

I was rather enamored by the Totally-Not-Tomb-Kings in the latest Magic expansion. They're essentially Tomb Kings + Necrons: undead bodies encased in metal.

8bgt3lrngto8.png

k83judj3j3ui.png

Echo on
  • Options
    Currently waiting in an airport and I suddenly realize that after seeing the wrath and rapture slannesh herald, that the Ryan Air Logo is now ruined.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I really like the Slaanesh aesthetic, except for how cartoonishly evil they are. I know HEROIC! and EVIL! are kind of GW's whole thing, but still. I think it would be fun to paint an army of them as just cool-looking crustacean-people, but so many of their models depict torture :/

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Look, what one or several daemons do with one hundred or more consenting mortal adults is not for us to judge!

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    digging out old armies because I was invited to play some small scale stuff and figured I'm finally over things.

setting aside the weird factor of all my armies now being 3-5 separate factions that don't particularly play well with the matched play allies rules...

did they really squat the chaos lord on a disc, and empire greatcannons?

edit: oh my god where are the spear elves?

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    I think the disc mounted chaos lord is still around in the Tzeentch book, but he's got a different name (Fatemaster?) but they have been steadily removing the older metal/resin sculpts where possible, yes.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Yeah, someone pointed that out to me that they turned it into the fatemaster when they moved it from the grand alliance book.

I guess nobody's going to look *too* closely at what you're using as an Ironweld cannon. And HE Spear Elves are now spireguard I guess. RIP repeater bolt thrower outside of the compendium, though :bigfrown:

edit: also, army creation coming from 40k is a real trip. Order factions seem super rigid to work with, then you have the city alliances that kinda mitigate some of that.

Then you look at the chaos tentpole books and realize you can make legal armies using entirely marked slaves to darkness models.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    I guess the new fyreslayer book is already out???

that was a crazy fast turnaround

• Options
    Yeah, looks like they're going for a 40k style rapid release schedule on books to catch things up to date maybe? Sylvaneth looks to be coming out in the next few weeks too.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    The seems to be updating all the older books so that they have endless spells and allegiance abilities etc.

I reckon we'll probably get a whole new race at some point this year too.

There appears to be three tiers of releases; Updated book with no new models (Fyreslayers)
    New army using old and new models (Gloomspire Gitz)
    Entire new race (Idoneth Deepkin)

• Options
    I'll be kind of surprised it we don't see a new elf (either Tyrion or Malerion) faction alongside Slaanesh stuff in a starter sometime this year.

This discussion has been closed.