As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Apex Legends] Battle Royale from the makers of Titanfall. High OCTANE gameplay!

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    The game has dropped a significant amount of players which makes it more top heavy.

I am definitely winning less even though I am a better player than I was a month ago, and mostly play with discord lfgs instead of true rando's.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    I've managed to get lucky with a fair number of wins. I've also seen a ton of 1000+ kill players about.

I'm proud of this nice, clean duo win I just got. It ended with a sneaky mastiff massacre on the butte east of the slums.
    ESpmxT9.png

Arteen on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I've seen some big win/kill counts and then gone on to wipe the floor with those people

Just because they have more time doesn't make them inherently better at the game. I haven't had time to play in a week but my highest character has 500 kills and probably close to 50 wins. Some level of matchmaking might help but, this isn't the type of game where you should expect to win with any great regularity. I would say I'm a decent player and still, it's not just about skill; it comes down to positioning, loot, which characters you're playing, etc. The guy with 1000 kills isn't that scary if you get the guns before him.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I do think they could find some way to provide a gateway and path for newer players. As much as I love a pubstomp, having more fresh players always coming in is going to important somehow. If we're losing noobs it's going to limit the game in the long run.

What is this I don't even.
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I do think they could find some way to provide a gateway and path for newer players. As much as I love a pubstomp, having more fresh players always coming in is going to important somehow. If we're losing noobs it's going to limit the game in the long run.

On PUBG mobile, the first 10-20 games they put you with mostly bots, and a small amount of other new players. I think something like that to ease people in is a good idea. Later on, I'm not sure what they can do. They could do a ranked and unranked queue, but in other games the ranked queues tend to cause a lot of toxic behavior.

• ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    I've seen some big win/kill counts and then gone on to wipe the floor with those people

Just because they have more time doesn't make them inherently better at the game. I haven't had time to play in a week but my highest character has 500 kills and probably close to 50 wins. Some level of matchmaking might help but, this isn't the type of game where you should expect to win with any great regularity. I would say I'm a decent player and still, it's not just about skill; it comes down to positioning, loot, which characters you're playing, etc. The guy with 1000 kills isn't that scary if you get the guns before him.

I'm not upset if I die to someone early who has way more kills than me or zero, that's the craziness of the drop most of the time.

What I'm talking about is making it 10 minutes+ or under 10 teams, at that point more often than not I'm getting taken out by people with crazy high kill/win totals

Also, I doubt I have 50 wins total across my entire playtime to date. Maybe like 20ish? I would say 500kills/50 wins on a singular legend put you above the average player (assuming you play a decent amount of other legends too)

I would say 50-60% of my playtime is on Pathfinder, and the rest is split among the other characters. I would say Octane is my other favorite.

Been playing too much MK11, keep yelling "GET OVER HERE"
    FirsthandFreeGalapagostortoise-size_restricted.gif

• Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    Dropped hot with a Bangalore and a Octane in Skulltown. I got a profoundly lucky drop, hitting a Purple Armor, Blue Helmet, and Spitfire, and R99 in my immediate first building.

Seems like this'll be a good game.

Promptly delete the first person I find, who had dropped my Octane buddy. But his two friends come with, and I manage to wound one and then drop an incendiary on the parallel line where people can come in. It buys a bit of time to reload, but they push, but somehow I survive due to the fire. Drop the second team-member, while the Bangalore comes in as calvary and finishes the squad but gets dropped. So I'm in Skulltown with no health and no ammo and the best gear that I can't use, and I need to revive my team-mates before the swarm arrives. Somehow we do, and escape for a minute. I keep exploring to find more ammo/shields/anything, and climb near the bones. My team tries to pick off more fodder, but by this time Skulltown is a cluster-fuck, and four separate teams converge as I run for cover. My teammates die for real this time, and I somehow escape near death at 10% health with no healing items and half a clip of R99, perched on the bones like a Buzzard. I wait.

And opening appears, I drop down, grab the banners, run like hell, phasing out a split-second before I die, and flee towards Water Treatment. I find a respawn beacon but spend a minute failing to climb up to it before finding a simple path, get my team in, drop a portal and run. The team respawns, ignores the portal, gets shot while looting, nearly dropping a third time before getting wise to the portal and we retreat fully to Water Treatment, picking at the scraps of prior looters. We make our way to the gas station slowly, having healed and ammo'ed a bit before getting two lucky care package drops. We get in another fight where Octane drops again, and I pick off his aggressor and the Bangalore cleans up the other. And suddenly I have Gold Armor and a Purple helmet and purple attachments and my first fucking backpack and my team-mates have purple armor and similarly well armed, except of course we lack more than one stack of extra ammo each. But somehow we scrape together and we're in the final two and we have Ring advantage for round 5. An enemy Wraith drops a portal as the fight needs to commence, and out stream the other two baddies and I open up with my Spitfire and drop nobody. They all turn to me, I phase again, get behind cover, and continue to take fire. R99 wounds one, drops another, and I once again am dancing at 10% health in the fight for my life. Suddenly the Lifeline I wounded is down, and then a Peacekeeper wielding robot is chasing after me and I'm Matrixing his shots as I furiously reload. Before I can pull the trigger, the screen displays Champion.

That was probably one of the most intense matches I've played in a really really long time, and after getting 2 revives and 2 respawns and 700 some damage and just endless dodging and surviving by a thread, I toss the game 100 coins for a pack for the best game in recent memory.

2 Whites and Blue.

Thanks, Apex. Thanks.

Man, I had the most glorious "this is what Pathfinder is made for" moment yesterday. We got down to the last three teams and didn't know where the other two were, and the circle is getting pretty small, so we get into Bunker which is inside the Pathfinder-discovered next ring. Generally we don't camp, I get bored, but if you were going to do it, this was the time. The circle shrinks to the point where one Bunker door is completely unusable, and we all have arc stars ready to throw, pre-aimed, just waiting. The circle shrinks again, and we lose the back half of bunker. Then we see it's going to shrink again, this time forcing us out of Bunker and into the deck right in front of it. It's two teams at this point, so the other team knows we're in Bunker, and they know we have to come out.

We creep up, pop open the door, throw tons of grenades and avoid their grenades. There's explosions and bullets but we haven't left and they haven't come in. One of their team gets his shield cracked to gunfire, one of our team goes down. Finally, I get my peacekeeper out and hook shot around to the back of the now tiny circle and insta-gib two of their team before they've been able to track the giant loop I did. It was beautiful. Meanwhile @fortis had taken the distraction and charged out to the other side, where he dropped the last guy, sealing the victory for us.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I got several wins yesterday after not having played this in a couple months, and since most were with Caustic, I can only conclude that the buffs helped a lot.

Also notched one with Bloodhound a round or two after a game where I went absolutely nuts on two teams at Water Treatment with a Triple Take because people kept trying to loot or revive in the giant pile of bodies I'd made. Can't even begin to explain that one.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Has any game tried having ranked matchmaking without actually exposing those rankings to the players? As in, is the toxicity due to either/both 1) knowing where others are in the ladder and using that for prejudgment, and 2) Trying to climb the ladder rather than trying to play the game itself.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Had my best have ever with 9 kills, 910 damage, and saved my two downed teammates right at the start getting a double kill. When we all jumped off the supply ship.

Ended up dying when a team respawned a guy next to us at Runoff. Me and one of the others push them, kill one, then both get downed...and our third wasn't near us supporting. Apparently he was new and didn't pay attention to the pings or firefight. Was a huge bummer to go out like that.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Has any game tried having ranked matchmaking without actually exposing those rankings to the players? As in, is the toxicity due to either/both 1) knowing where others are in the ladder and using that for prejudgment, and 2) Trying to climb the ladder rather than trying to play the game itself.

A lot of games do this. Destiny for one used to. It’s skill based matchmaking. It’s controversial because you end up feeling like you’re getting worse at the game because you’re playing better people.

I play for fun but a big part of he fun is improving. It I don’t feel like I’m improving I’ll get sick of a game quick

616610-1.png
    Lots of dud games tonight, some good kills but it was mostly losses until the last match. Me, Ghandi and our random got up high on the walls above swamp. This is like, the ideal place for the game to end for Pathfinders, haha.
    https://youtu.be/t-KlC0Rddww

Lots of dud games tonight, some good kills but it was mostly losses until the last match. Me, Ghandi and our random got up high on the walls above swamp. This is like, the ideal place for the game to end for Pathfinders, haha.
    https://youtu.be/t-KlC0Rddww

During the end of that, every time I went to go help you murder, by the time I got there they were already dead. Folks who think Pathfinder isn't an aggressive character don't get how useful ziplines and grapple really are. I would chase you guys for a flank, but you flank on your own.

It was good to have a nice W to end the night. Earlier matches felt like they were just grinds to get a couple kills for the team then a wipe. But I've re-fallen in love with the Spitfire, which mitigates the fact that my ability to stay on target is terrible by having a never ending magazine. I've also been pairing it with an R99, but I'm finding that R99 either drops dudes instantly, or I wind up missing some of my shots and they can retaliate quickly. Eva-8 has been doing a bit better as a few hits usually downs a non-Purple person, and the pace between shots sometimes lets me recover for my poor aim.

Jesus that is some devotion doom. You prefer it unscoped, or did you never get an hcog?

Jesus that is some devotion doom. You prefer it unscoped, or did you never get an hcog?

I like the HCOG (square one anyways) but on some guns it doesn't make a difference. I kinda prefer the iron sights on Devotion, R99, R301.

I goddamn suck at this game.

SDDnwtA.png

• FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Failing upward.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
    That win pose will never be more appropriate

• Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Well, I'm here to say goodbye to the thread. I've enjoyed playing this game but I think it's time for me to move on. As mentioned, the population has gotten top-heavy... the same sort of thing happened in fortnite with the crazy builders. It was time for a change when I realized the game was stressing me out / frustrating me so much that the amusing gun and movement mechanics couldn't make up for it. There's no point in playing a game if I'm not having fun.

I ... may come back later. The game is quite appealing in a lot of different ways. But I just don't need the stress right now. I'm basically burned out on BR in general.

You guys have been very friendly and helpful as I navigated this game, and I just want to thank you all and hope you all win a lot. Good luck!

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    I do think BR games should have skill based matchmaking - it's not needed in the early days because most everybody is new and not very good. But in any game, the longer it's around the higher the average skill level becomes. So a game without matchmaking is always going to become progressively less accessible over time.

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    I was just saying yesterday, I want a no Wraith/no streamer server option for chumps like me to have more fun in.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    When the final team has encamped themselves on the top of water treatment, but you've learned your lessons from the last few times its happened.

Lets be all sneaky like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ASRuhEU9po&feature=youtu.be

Nobody expects the grapple flank.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
    Oh hell yes!
    x092JS6.png

I'm on a three game winning streak, I got the Flawless Victory II badge on all my characters, and I just earned my first Double Duty badge after a great match. The Lifeline just kinda... disappeared partway through the match. I guess they disconnected because they were alive last time I saw them.

Yeah, had some wild games today and tonight. Won quite a few and played pretty well. I actually do feel like I'm improving, the less cautious I play the better I tend to do. It's funny as time goes on I'm less focused on wins and more just killing as many people as I can
    https://youtu.be/WiMCo4PKKtU

• SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Been having a pretty hard time the past couple days, feels like the PC population has been getting a lot better.

Doesn't help having teammates who do 0 damage on the round consistently.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
    Had a really good night last night, wound up getting 4 wins, a few high damage or kills games (for me at least). Friday must have brought more casual folks because it felt less oppressive last night.

Local H, what sensitivity do you have controller set to these days? I haven't been able to find one I'm comfortable with.

Local H, what sensitivity do you have controller set to these days? I haven't been able to find one I'm comfortable with.

I actually don't know off the top of my head. I think it's faster than the default but not the highest one? I play like a crackhead so it has to be fast

• SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Okay, just had to complain about it to get a decent match in.

https://youtu.be/S_li-0vmvAE

Record is long but it's a mix of using Caustic traps to progressively control space and using Pathfinder ziplines to set your team up for success

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    Hmm so we just won 6 straight games, lost one and called the evening. Has there been an exodus of good players or something?

edited May 2019
    Vic_Hazard wrote: »
    Hmm so we just won 6 straight games, lost one and called the evening. Has there been an exodus of good players or something?

They've all migrated to my matches. The last couple nights have been brutal. So many 1000+ kill players running around.

Arteen on
    I'm working on a theory. The number of games I've won in a squad of two after some dipshit immediately died and then ragequit is high enough that I'm starting to think having some teammates is actually a liability rather than advantage. Just trying to keep an eye on them or help them puts your at a disadvantage.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I know @Local H Jay and I have had some pretty effective duos after our dipshit rando died and quit. I know people want a solo queue mode in this game but I'd also be into some doubles, it's way easier to coordinate two people than three.

• mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    My theory is the game actually does do a sort of ranked matchmaking based on premade team size. My brothers and I regularly play together, if all three of us are playing we face off against really tough teams. If it's two of us and one random, we consistently run into teams that seem less experienced or organized.

Side note, I haven't really played with PA peeps before. We could use a third pretty often, what's the protocol for that? Add my name to the list and just blast out friend invites on XBL?

mRahmani on
    wcq40ob0578y.png
    We only lost this game because our random refused to revive Arteen or back me up, so what may have been an 18 kill game ended in upset. Still, had some great games this afternoon.

uLWtYWc.png

This was easily my best game! I went a bit crazy with the mastiff at the end, there.

I like that my idea of a good game is when I get like 4-5 kills or over 600 damage and come in Top 5 whereas you guys are murder gods I can only help to assist slightly or revive/take bullets for.

Still, nearing completion of the Battle Pass, which I didn't think I'd do, so at least Apex is still occupying my mind.