As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We're three times as fast in the 3rd [Gunpla] & Plastic models thread

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    *sigh*

Damnit, Moon Moon.

Because you didn't have stickers and that sucky opaque green piece, I learned that the metallic paint on the clear eye pieces looks DAMN good.

So... I took it to the next level, and I don't think I'm going to be looking back.

Used my fine panel lining marker to fill in the bridge of the nose and around the eyes as much as possible. Then a light touch of the metallic green, and...

ipxXns2l.jpg

I think it turns out okay?

ef1l5uhl.jpg

In any case... Bare metal GO! :) If I were in a better position and more confident, I'd try to make the frame look much more like steel/gunmetal than the flat gray of the molded pieces.

0ov1ai4h.jpg

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Well today was crazy. i finished the first leg and while I was building the second the hose for the airbrush burst cause I left it next to my painting setup outside and this is AZ and it's already almost 100 degrees outside. Not a big deal since it just plugs into a can of air and I was planning to get a compressor anyway but I got pieces off the runner ready to paint so after trying a couple hardware stores I found a small one at Auto Zone, found a tire pressure valve that has one side that fits both the air brush and compressor so I grabbed 2 and a bolt to hold them together, and finally went to Discount Tire to remove the part that kept the air from flowing through. The compressor is wireless and needs to charge overnight so I'll find out tomorrow morning if this actually works.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Good news it works! Lowest PSI I can get it to spray at is around 22-23 so hopefully that is OK. I also need to hold the trigger on the airbrush and the compressor so I am going to have to mount the pieces to styrofoam instead of holding the sticks in my hand.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    HGUC YMS-15 Gyan (Revive) finally finished!

The feet actually have a hinge in the middle so that you don't have a flat sole, but you can actually have a bent tip :biggrin:
    ikc96nutrsz3.jpg
    The shield is quite heavy though and makes balancing the suit a bit difficult
    hn3q6l4i1em9.jpg
    The sticker for the eye went loose pretty quickly (because it's on a bent surface) so I used the red metallic marker for it and that worked far better :biggrin:
    The shield also has a special hinge mechanism so that you can make it point forward (to shoot its missiles):
    mbc5th6tpkvp.jpg

I decided NOT to panel line the red front part of the shield as that would take ages.
    I wish an open left hand was supplied so that you could make a shieldless "En Garde!" pose, because it doesn't work well with a fist in the raised empty hand.

A very fun build and nice figure, I can heartily recommend it!

Corporal Carl on
    PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    So earlier, when I said I wished I had a gundam marker that was a dark gunmetal gray for the internal structure?

... Yeaaah.

So I need some help making a choice.

YDlLevnh.jpg

Gundam Narrative A-packs has a lot of stickers. I've already used a black marker to fill in where one sticker is going to go (and holy shit am I going to use that marker to fix my Metroplex). But around the outside of this part, it is supposed to have the gray sticker you see in the middle there. It's supposed to wrap around the black piece - covering the outside, not the inside. So it's going to be kind of ugly.

My question is.. do I use the gunmetal gray there, or the silver? I can't use my panel line gray - it will look like crap because I can't apply it flatly. I also have to worry about getting the inside, which is going to be trickier because I'll likely fuck up...

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    I have shaken my gunmetal marker senselessly and it still seems to give me different tints/hues of the colour, while my silver marker is more even.

You might try it first on a long piece of sprue/runner of the same/colour which you want to try to paint.
    You can then check whether the colour stays even or not, and how splotchy/blotchy it’ll be.

You can also use a brush instead of using the marker straight on the plastic.

I know I will have a similar problem with my Gyancelot (or Gya-Gya?) which has heaps of gold stickers which are the worst things about those kits.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    I figure I'm going to be doing multiple coats, which seriously slows down the process as I don't know how long these take to dry. But I am trying!

YDgRAbKl.jpg

You are right, I should've done a test batch on a runner that actually matched the color I wanted to paint. :)

Edit: Blah. I'm giving this thing a lot of time to dry, and when I go to apply a new coat it just moves/scrapes through the existing layer. It looks so splotchy..

Athenor on
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Gundam Markers are oil paints, they never will totally dry. so when you apply a new coat it activates the lower coat.

• Options
    Heffling wrote: »
    Gundam Markers are oil paints, they never will totally dry. so when you apply a new coat it activates the lower coat.

That's ringing a bell.. and makes me wonder how I can get it smooth/uniform.. =/

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Heffling wrote: »

That's ringing a bell.. and makes me wonder how I can get it smooth/uniform.. =/

Give it a few days to dry, then put a layer of acrylic or enamel clear coat.

• Options
    Yaknow, it could've turned out a lot worse! I'm already thinking of ways to try and make my next attempts better, like using small pieces of paper to maintain a crisp edge (tape would be a bitch to get in there, though I guess it would be possible). I also found some areas chipped off immediately, so I suspect going forward I need to wash the pieces first to help the paint adhere better.

But.. yeah. For not having a really good workspace and not being able to use real paints, this will work in a pinch.

CYmMthsl.jpg

• Options
    I hope folk dont mind me linking tweets, it's by far the easiest way to get pictures off my phone.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    turtleant wrote: »
    I hope folk dont mind me linking tweets, it's by far the easiest way to get pictures off my phone.

http.s://twitter.com/turtleant/status/1122655062994636800?s=19

I use imgur's app pretty extensively. Just post the pics privately, and you don't need to title them or have them go out to the bigger social media scene. Unfortunately, extracting BB Code links from my phone is a PITA, so I just wait till I get to my PC to write my actual posts.

I wish I could awesome your work more than once. It's so cool, you deserve way more recognition than me!

Athenor on
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »

http.s://twitter.com/turtleant/status/1122655062994636800?s=19

I use imgur's app pretty extensively. Just post the pics privately, and you don't need to title them or have them go out to the bigger social media scene. Unfortunately, extracting BB Code links from my phone is a PITA, so I just wait till I get to my PC to write my actual posts.

I wish I could awesome your work more than once. It's so cool, you deserve way more recognition than me!

Aw jeez I dont know about that . I just straight build all my stuff, do some panel lining with a gundam marker. The work you put into your zoids and stuff is more than I could stay invested for for sure.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Whelp! Using the front of the boosters as reference, I shouldn't mind so much at how messy the inside cavities are in yellow.

"I have a need... a need.. for SPEED!"

w3UXU9Ll.jpg

• Options
    Finished the other leg booster, racked 'im up, and now I'm onto the supplemental boosters.

ENP9vmWl.jpg

.... Holy hell is this going to involve a lot of repetitive panel lining. Why am I thinking of getting Gojulas again?

Ah well. I did one with standard panel lining markers, and then for the second I got out my pour type.

I'll be honest, I think I'm getting better with the pour type. I still hate that it creates a little "pool" where I put it down that doesn't really wipe away cleanly, but it does help with this kind of repetitive, thin panel lining.

Can you tell which is which?

x0FpPsQh.jpg

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    oh that looks real nice on those boosters

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Man I wish I didn't care so much. But it's so much unbroken white...

dLTgPXDh.jpg

(Edit: It is not wise to leave a picture of your keys on the internet. I bet it got cached in even those few seconds. )

Athenor on
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    So I think I’m gonna order the Sinanju Stein narrative MG. Is there a site y’all prefer to use to order gunpla?

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    I typically get stuff from USAGundamstore if you sign up for they email lists then you get discount codes quite often. In fact they have that kit is part of their flash sale. Enter "Mine" at checkout and it's only $56 + shipping.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Grove wrote: »
    So I think I’m gonna order the Sinanju Stein narrative MG. Is there a site y’all prefer to use to order gunpla?

Amazon typically has decent prices, but I would definitely check other sites for comparison before hitting purchase.

Depending on your location, there might be a fair few stores with gunpla. And since the kit you're looking for is recent, there's a good chance it's in stock in a brick and mortar.

Renzo on
  • Options
    I'm lucky that I have a local store... and very unlucky that I enjoy models you can't get through BlueFin.

Ah well.

I'm getting closer! Still have the hand grips and the other gun to go, but at the very least I can see how big this guy is going to be.

Holy fuck where am I going to display this when it's done?

d3KmaSml.jpg

• Options
    And then you connect the beam saber blades!

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    My eventual plan with mine is to get a pack of eye screws and some fishing line and hang it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    And then you connect the beam saber blades!

Pffft. What would attaching the beam sabers do to the...

... the...

Oooooh my.

rnZnIqPh.jpg

DNmS6Pmh.jpg

DAg2kl8h.jpg

Goddamn that was an interesting build! I still don't know how I feel about HGs. There's a lot of flashing, and a LOT of big panels with no paint on them and little detail. I guess I'm used to higher quality (and smaller parts).

I would love to paint this model properly, and try to pull out its detail.

I also find it really humorous that the large beam sabers are literally the Z-sabers from ZZ Gundam, Ver. Ka. They were oversized there, they seem oversized here.

Backlog is now down to 3. Whew!

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    ... Is it sad that I see that price and don't even blink?

*weeps for his fiscal stability*

• Options
    I am just looking at the shipping and hope that is airmail.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WIP: "That sure is a big head and a very small right leg" is what's the RX-78-2 is thinking...
    It's still 1/144 scale!
    gm50xc3sic11.jpg

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Just ordered some waterslide decals for Epyon as well as some decal solution...

shit's getting serious yo!

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    Iguan!!! I think. :)

I finally broke down and bought a dish rack to hold my runners.

HT8j8isl.jpg

I.. . am actually kind of sad it's not broken. The one in the store was broken or worn out or something so it was laying MUCH flatter, with the middle-length rack resting up against the bottom one and creating like a 20-30 degree trough. I'm okay with this, though it is a bit tall for my work space. I just figure, make it easier to find the pieces I'm after, right?

• Options
    Choice time!

Do I go with the non-transforming head that doesn't have a seam down the middle, and has yellow gatling guns? Or do I go with the transforming headpiece that is more flexible but has gray gatling beams?

It probably doesn't matter a ton in the end, but.. stupid choices.

DLgXG0Vh.jpg

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    non transforming

because the F91's 'face' is the stuff of nightmares

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    F91 has a face?

• Options
    2DKr6XR.jpg

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Not as bad as the various versions of Optimus Prime's mouth...

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Haha why even

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Haha why even

According to the notes in the manual, it's something about heat dissipation. Like, it opens up when the head/sensor unit is overheating.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    If I remember correctly, in fiction the F91 has various parts which have layered panels that can be jettisoned to dissipate heat in an emergency. With careful movement these can be left in a vaguely Gundam-shaped cloud of infrared signals, which is used to throw off the enemy during the climactic fight.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png