As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Painting Miniatures] What colour is the best colour to paint your miniatures?

• MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    AND polystyrene, so it's a no go. It's the main ingredient of plastic cement. The superglue removers/debonders are based on something else.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    J wrote: »
    If it's super glue. It should be brittle enough to chip off to some extent.

It will also decay in time

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I've never had issues with loctite super glue. Holds well on plastic and metal and I've had models 10 years old still holding strong.

As far as removing super glue there isn't a lot to be done when it is plastic. It does get brittle if made cold enough. Maybe toss it in the freezer for an hour or two and see if you can scrape off that excess glue.

I've goofed with super glue. One time I had forgotten that I started a brand new bottle and end up getting a lot of super glue on the model.

It bothers me a lot because painting it will suck but it is a Space Wolves model so I can try and make it look like snow.

QK1KFvh.jpg

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I would never use super glue on a GW mini. Plastic glue only.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Acetone dissolves super glue.

and also plastic

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Purple
    So I'm at a decision point for how I want to modify my Gryphon riding dude to make him more Chaosy. I thought of making changes to the Gryph-charger itself but frankly, it's the main reason I got the model and I don't want to mess with it too much.

For the rider, I've got a pretty good idea on some modifications, but I can't decide on what to do about the pauldrons. I have some regular CSM pauldrons that sort of fit, but might look a bit awkward, or I could try and carve up the symbols on them using my sprue cutters or a knife to make them look intentionally defaced.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    edited April 2019
    The gap kind of bothers me and I'm not sure how to fix it.

Anyone know what I might be able to do?
    0Tb4oPJ.jpg

I painted in a heat effect for the thermal cannon and avenger gatling cannon. I like how it came out though I may have done the colors too short.

84xgIpo.jpg
    pT9d77D.jpg

Stragint on
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• JustTeeJustTee Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Purple
    Stragint wrote: »
    The gap kind of bothers me and I'm not sure how to fix it.

Anyone know what I might be able to do?
    0Tb4oPJ.jpg

I painted in a heat effect for the thermal cannon and avenger gatling cannon. I like how it came out though I may have done the colors too short.

84xgIpo.jpg
    pT9d77D.jpg

This looks great, but I don't know that I would read it as "heat", per se. More like...the residual effect of heat? Like a wok that's been well used turns various colors as it cools back down? It's really well painted, but if you were going for more "actively hot" I think you might want to push the highlights further? I dunno. I'm not good enough to pull off such a clean gradient, so take my critique with a grain of salt.

JustTee on
    Diagnosed with AML on 6/1/12. Read about it: www.effleukemia.com
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that's definitely "heat-scorched" as opposed to "currently heated." Still looks awesome though; I did the same thing for my Infernus Heavy Bolter's flamer bit and my Combi-Melta's Melta bit.

edited April 2019
    Yeah, heat scorched is the goal. I couldn't think of the word last night.

Just need to figure out how to close that gap on the avenger gatling cannon and that frost claw and then I can start putting the armor on.

Stragint on

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Purple
    So, does anyone happen to have a hot link to how to do a good dazzle pattern on a 2" tall figure?

I'm a little flabbergasted on how to start on that.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    I should not have gone for this glow effect.

show3eG.jpg

Looks so bad

TBH it just looks like you need to clean it up.

Don't think I can really clean it up much. It is pretty small details so any amount of paint feels like too much.

edited April 2019
    No, I mean...
    take the blue colour on the brush, wipe off most of it and go over the surface to keep the white only in the recesses. Kind of like a semi-drybrush, but with a normally thinned-down paint.
    This technique is called overbrushing. Takes almost no precision at all.

Mayday on
    Mayday wrote: »
    No, I mean...
    take the blue colour on the brush, wipe off most of it and go over the surface to keep the white only in the recesses. Kind of like a semi-drybrush, but with a normally thinned-down paint.
    This technique is called overbrushing. Takes almost no precision at all.

Oh, I did that on my Space Wolves I've been working on and I completely forgot about it. Thank you, the shield does look better now.

XighVia.jpg

edited April 2019
    Worked on the head and tried to get a glowing effect for the eyes.

I still need to clean up some edges but it didn't come out too bad. I think it will work.

XQ6SbXy.jpg
    fdkZB86.jpg

Edit: So close to finishing. Need the ironwolves symbol on the left knee and shoulder pad. Wish I could get a stencil for it.

The super glue is doing pretty good to help paint to paint for the small bits. Did some scraping for the main armor pieces so they have a better hold.

Stragint on

So the knight is basically done at this point. I just need to do the Ironwolves symbol on the shoulder and knee pad. Haven't heard back from my friend so I'm gonna buy some slightly adhesive stencil paper today and see what I can manager. Last thing will be the basing. I want to do cracked ice again, might see if I can get the knight off of the base, if not I will just do it around the feet. The citadel texture paint pot does not have nearly enough in it and my LGS doesn't have anything but that citadel texture crackle paint so I need to figure that out.

Got 8 pictures of my knight, looking real good right now. I still have some other stuff to work on but I'm not too concerned with it. The little shoulder stubber, autocannon, carapace mounted AA gun, and I think that is basically it but right now I have all the stuff I want going. I might also do the scorched paint job on the shoulder melta.
    gvtRB5H.jpg
    fc5D797.jpg
    XdOQVZT.jpg
    vZqGkyI.jpg
    TuOmzbn.jpg
    k3zDLJV.jpg
    oQj6HxH.jpg
    R4zLD4g.jpg

• JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    A different, worse colour
    Gotta weather that sucker.

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Purple
    Heh. So I'm still plugging away at Imperial Assault commissions and had been saving these two to do together because Thrawn and the clone trooper are both majority white. I followed that up with doing the black bits since it's the next step, and here I am looking at my painting desk like I'm working on a black and white movie or something. :P (There's more gradient in real life, but you get the idea)
    rotucu3ib61s.jpg

With like a sponge and some dabbing? Not really sure what to do for weathering, I've never painted something this size or really ever finished painting anything ever except some Necrons 10 years ago which I cleaned off in simple green a few months ago.

Purple
    Enhancement of historical footage with artist-added paint-overs:
    hxjex9b3gdyw.jpg

;P

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Purple
    How do you keep the models attached to the tops of those cans? I have some old jars and stuff I can use as a handle, but I'm not finding a good way to keep the models stuck to the top. I've trued museum putty and Loctite blue putty, but neither really "grabs".

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Purple
    It's just some poster tac from Staples or Walmart or something. I can't speak to Loctite blue putty, but I suspect it's close to what I'm using since I don't know what other practical purpose a particularly weak adhesive putty would be?
    (A cursory search for the product makes me believe it's indeed very similar)

I use a bunch of it - enough that the miniatures don't tend to actually touch the jar lid (this is intentional so that I don't create a single surface when airbrushing them). Some currently unused jars for reference:
    49q674b18lbp.jpg

• ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    I used to do similar, but found the tak became extremely soft and malleable in the Japanese climate. This sounds good until you've got to get it out of the gaps in the base.

Now I just use PVA. It's strong enough to hold them in place for airbrushing, but doesn't adhere well to plastic or metal so it's easy enough to pop them off when I'm done.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
    Anyone know a good brand of crackle paint I can get off of amazon? I kind of need a lot for this knight base.

• WatcherWatcher Registered User regular

NO! Keep it parade ground perfect!

Anyone know a good brand of crackle paint I can get off of amazon? I kind of need a lot for this knight base.

You can make your own with some white glue and one of the cheap acrylic paints

Brainleech wrote: »

Do you have a youtube video showing this?

I know how to do it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_hepp7J2VA

I know how to do it

Did it come out that way because the glue was painted downwards?

I was taking the knight off the base so I could get good coverage. His feet broke off. I was considering leaving them off and buying the 3D printed Space Wolves feet from the same guy I bought the head and shoulders from but it would be $32+S&H and it would take like 15 days and my new job starts on Monday and I don't get paid till the 24th so I figure I might as well keep the current feet. Maybe make another Space Wolves knight some day.

I know how to do it

I was taking the knight off the base so I could get good coverage. His feet broke off. I was considering leaving them off and buying the 3D printed Space Wolves feet from the same guy I bought the head and shoulders from but it would be $32+S&H and it would take like 15 days and my new job starts on Monday and I don't get paid till the 24th so I figure I might as well keep the current feet. Maybe make another Space Wolves knight some day.

As the glue dries with the paint on top of it, does the crackle appearance

You paint on the glue while it is still tacky you paint on the paint you want. you can either let it air dry or use a hair dryer if you want to speed it up and you get that distressed old look

I know how to do it

You paint on the glue while it is still tacky you paint on the paint you want. you can either let it air dry or use a hair dryer if you want to speed it up and you get that distressed old look

What I meant was the look. I'm going for a cracked ice look and in the video the look doesn't really match what I'm going for so I was wondering if it came out that way because of the way the glue and paint were put on.

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    I used this stuff for my Beastclaw Raiders:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ranger-Tim-Holtz-Distress-Crackle/dp/B005FY5HCW/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1?keywords=rock+candy+crackle+paint&qid=1556567504&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull

9vpe9xytqwyv.jpg

Pretty cheap, and you get a decent sized tub of the stuff. Fairly easy to use too, you can just slap it on and wait 24 hours or so, the thicker the layer the larger cracks you get, then I just ran a blue wash into the cracks and a white drybrush over the top.

Halos Nach Tariff on

I know how to do it

What I meant was the look. I'm going for a cracked ice look and in the video the look doesn't really match what I'm going for so I was wondering if it came out that way because of the way the glue and paint were put on.

You can thicken the glue/paint

• DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    If anyone is interested starting a twitch stream while I build the strike on Kara nine gates of Antares two player starter set. I’m live on Twitch - Watch me at

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Purple
    So it's not totally finished, but here's my Lord-Aquilor to Chaos Lord conversion so far. I haven't done anything to the actual Gryph-Charger itself, since it was like 90% of the reason I got the model and I didn't want to fuck it up

er5VYwc.png

81wweFX.png

Edit: I definitely need more practice modifying models, that left arm there was a comedy of errors. I cut the shoulder off anticipating I'd be using a CSM arm as the carrier for a couple of reasons, but I also needed to cut the shoulder off of the CSM to accommodate the fit and I cut off the hand so I could stick on the hand holding the banner, but then I realized the banner is supposed to be in the opposite hand, so I had to trim the Daemon banner hand, and for the hand holding the handle of the banner I took the giant storm crossbow thing, chopped off the hand holding its handle, and then cut the banner in two and stuck it so it looks like he's holding it

and I probably could have saved like 3-4 steps there if I'd been more observant before I started modifying.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    That’s should be watch me and chat hopefully.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Draeven wrote: »

Oh, sorry. I was just curious to see what the minis looked like (I hadn't heard of that game before your post). For some reason the stream cut out for me and I couldn't get it to resume playing, and then I had to go get dinner.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Draeven wrote: »

Oh, sorry. I was just curious to see what the minis looked like (I hadn't heard of that game before your post). For some reason the stream cut out for me and I couldn't get it to resume playing, and then I had to go get dinner.
    I stopped streaming for abut 20 mins. And than resumed later for bout an hour. So you prolly cane back after that. Had upwards of 6 people but my friend that stopped in to say hi, was the only one to say anything in chat.

This discussion has been closed.