As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Forget your New Year's diet in the [Bad Food] thread

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    Opty wrote: »
    Another ingredient that makes bread not vegan is honey.

I hear conflicting information on that from some I know. A lot of my vegan acquaintances and friends seem to be in agreement as long as the bee keeper is ethical and not like wing clipping the queen or hurting the hive (using HFCS after stealing most of the honey) that it's a completely different type of ball game from our typical animal husbandry and honey is okay especially since this arrangement is beneficial to both bees and humans?

And then there's the few that hard line "absolutely no animal products whatsoever in any way shape or form, no matter what"

I guess by definition of vegan the latter is correct?

You've stumbled on another blood feud argument between vegans. Congrats!

I'm closer to the former, for the record, but it's definitely the greyest of grey areas as far as vegan "consensus" goes.

Would it really be a blood feud though, or some kind of soy protein based blood substitute?

Human blood is perfectly vegan.

#themoreyouknow

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Superiority Burger do vegetarian "burgers", though they don't try to taste like meat or have the same texture, they're just roughly the same size and shape. And, honestly, I can't think of a meat burger I've had that's obviously better than the "burger" I had there, it was amazing.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular

I hear conflicting information on that from some I know. A lot of my vegan acquaintances and friends seem to be in agreement as long as the bee keeper is ethical and not like wing clipping the queen or hurting the hive (using HFCS after stealing most of the honey) that it's a completely different type of ball game from our typical animal husbandry and honey is okay especially since this arrangement is beneficial to both bees and humans?

And then there's the few that hard line "absolutely no animal products whatsoever in any way shape or form, no matter what"

I'm closer to the former, for the record, but it's definitely the greyest of grey areas as far as vegan "consensus" goes.

Would it really be a blood feud though, or some kind of soy protein based blood substitute?

#themoreyouknow

Are cannibals vegan?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Daimar wrote: »

#themoreyouknow

Are cannibals vegan?

It all comes down to consent.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    This week, I made a slow-cooker beef chuck shoulder to shred and make roast beef sandwiches for lunch at work. It was pretty simple, just chuck and beef broth and crushed garlic and caramelized onions, pretty good sandwiches.

Anyway, I was also having fried chicken for dinner this week, because fuck you corporeal form, I guess, and I decided to use the leftover liquid in the slow cooker to boil the potatoes for the mashed potatoes.

These are easily the best potatoes I have ever had, anywhere. They may be the best food I've had, period. They are intensely savory and I think you could serve them as a main dish with sides. They are way more brown than mashed potatoes should be if you're serving them for other people, but I don't care, I love them.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I've had plenty of bad pizza, weird dough textures, bad sauce, poorly cooked, etc

It's pretty easy to mess up cooking

I still remember the place in college where the selling point was the pizzas came in sizes up to 48”.

But they always overyeasted the dough and used crappy tomato sauce so it tasted like a 48” circle of garbage.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Monday I have off work so I'm thinking of cooking up a full packer brisket. I haven't made one since January and its time to get back into the habit. I try for 1 brisket a month.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    This week, I made a slow-cooker beef chuck shoulder to shred and make roast beef sandwiches for lunch at work. It was pretty simple, just chuck and beef broth and crushed garlic and caramelized onions, pretty good sandwiches.

Anyway, I was also having fried chicken for dinner this week, because fuck you corporeal form, I guess, and I decided to use the leftover liquid in the slow cooker to boil the potatoes for the mashed potatoes.

These are easily the best potatoes I have ever had, anywhere. They may be the best food I've had, period. They are intensely savory and I think you could serve them as a main dish with sides. They are way more brown than mashed potatoes should be if you're serving them for other people, but I don't care, I love them.

Sounds like you should try making your hand at gravy for poutine with your drippings next time.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Ok the sausage cake sausage is marinating

Soon we shall see if this belongs in this thread or the good food thread

1te271a4d7d6.jpg

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Matcha

Tastes weird but good

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    My hero. I also wanted to make the recipe but wasn't willing to potentially waste a pound of meat etc.

• Options
    The sausage is good!

2umzd3jz02q1.jpg

The first second you get a hit of coffee, followed by the cloves and allspice, and then it all kind of melds into deliciousness.

I think it will really be best in sausage gravy though.

Next time I will halve the amount of cloves and allspice and add some hot paprika

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    This is a joke but it still belongs here:

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Her smile even says "kill me".

• Options
    I’d eat it

• Options
    Meanwhile...

ma9b3zxs4jvj.jpeg

3 hours to go. Think I’m gonna do up some sausages to tide me over

• Options
    Turns out 3 hours was wildly optimistic

It was more like 4.5

Pork was good though!

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    jgeis wrote: »
    This is a joke but it still belongs here:

*Incoherent screaming*

Zunde on
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I'm not a big breakfast fan, but there's a few things I really like. One of them is smoked salmon and cream cheese on a bagel, with some Moka Pot espresso:

q5sez7bqp4ho.jpg

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »
    The sausage is good!

2umzd3jz02q1.jpg

The first second you get a hit of coffee, followed by the cloves and allspice, and then it all kind of melds into deliciousness.

I think it will really be best in sausage gravy though.

Next time I will halve the amount of cloves and allspice and add some hot paprika

The sausage gravy is really good. I won't lie, I do enjoy other sausages more, but I'm happy I tried this

fcqc6xzgjp14.jpg

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Kaplar wrote: »

remember that scene in men in black when tommy lee jones is just demanding that the bug eat him

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    I'm not a big breakfast fan, but there's a few things I really like. One of them is smoked salmon and cream cheese on a bagel, with some Moka Pot espresso:

q5sez7bqp4ho.jpg

I like this too but I need some capers or something to cut through all that richness

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    Kaplar wrote: »

remember that scene in men in black when tommy lee jones is just demanding that the bug eat him

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqp52oZd2vI

Yes, yes I do.

• Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular

q5sez7bqp4ho.jpg

I like this too but I need some capers or something to cut through all that richness

If you ever get the chance, try it with deep fried capers and pickled onions. So good, especially with a decent shake of your finest hot sauce

• Options
    Deep fried capers huh?

That's a new one

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Hey, guess who just forgot that there's a marathon going on two blocks away from my house, and turned what should have been a 1.3 mile delivery into a 15-mile goose chase for some poor delivery driver?

It's me. I did that terrible thing.

Whelp, time to see how high the tipping function goes on this app!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

q5sez7bqp4ho.jpg

Indeed! I did add some French Herb Blend (https://www.thespicehouse.com/fines-herbes-french-herb-blend) after the picture, but yeah capers would be good.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    watermelon gummy candies coated with sweet-sour powder and salt are dangerous

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I assume that's also vegan cheese, or is the pizza just meant to be a cruel anti-vegan joke

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    doesn't look half bad as far as a vegan pizza usually looks

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    I assume that's also vegan cheese, or is the pizza just meant to be a cruel anti-vegan joke

They don't have vegan cheese near as I can tell

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

They don't have vegan cheese near as I can tell

They have vegan cheese at all locations.

(also, their dough and both types of red sauces are 100% vegan)

minor incident on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Is pizza dough from restaurants not normally vegan? When I've made it at home it's never had dairy or animal product in it, although deep dish dough is definitely not vegan it's like 95% butter.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    as far as i'm aware most pizza dough (in the states anyway) is like, usually bread flower or cake flower, active cake yeast, and some salt. maybe olive oil but that depends.

edit: and water, of course.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    Is pizza dough from restaurants not normally vegan? When I've made it at home it's never had dairy or animal product in it, although deep dish dough is definitely not vegan it's like 95% butter.

It usually is--especially at smaller pizza joints--but some chain restaurants use non-vegan ingredients (eggs, milk) in some of their doughs. I believe Pizza Hut and Domino's both do in their deep dish, and I think at one point all Papa John's dough was not vegan.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    I've heard that white flour isn't always vegan because the bleaching process sometimes uses animal bones and byproducts to achieve the white color. So you'd want something that's specifically vegan friendly there?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I've heard that white flour isn't always vegan because the bleaching process sometimes uses animal bones and byproducts to achieve the white color. So you'd want something that's specifically vegan friendly there?

Nah, that's not really done anymore. Animal bone char is only used to bleach sugar in certain regions in the US (although most sugar these days does not use it anymore, there's still a decent chunk that does). Flour is normally chemically bleached instead. And as far as the bone char bleaching of sugar goes, I know a couple of people who are sticklers about that, but honestly they're the minority. It's just one of those things most people accept as shitty but unavoidable.

The issue with pizza dough is just down to some chains adding butter/dairy to them to "improve" flavor, etc.

This discussion has been closed.