As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This Thread Will Go Down in [History]

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    fhyqrwgowb1u.jpg

Statue of Constantine the Great out York Minster, York, England.

He was proclaimed Emperor of the Roman empire in 306AD where the Minster currently stands.

This is the Collosus of Constantine from the Capitoline museum in Rome:

1rnv1wuba6q1.jpg

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Ah yes, Emperor Istantine.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Fun fact about that first one - his sword was briefly stolen back in 2016. It's been recovered and reattached since.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Fun fact about that first one - his sword was briefly stolen back in 2016. It's been recovered and reattached since.

Are you still upset about having to give the sword back?

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    I consider it a useful cautionary tale, actually. My friend told me it when I was visiting York last year, and I knew that there would be a thousand pound fine if I got caught doing the same.

Straightzi on
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    No officer I didn't steal this sword, I got it as a rare drop from a stone golem boss

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I'd steal his sweet lion sandal greaves.

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    fhyqrwgowb1u.jpg

He was proclaimed Emperor of the Roman empire in 306AD where the Minster currently stands.

This is the Collosus of Constantine from the Capitoline museum in Rome:

1rnv1wuba6q1.jpg

I'd like to point out that this

t3ncv1xmfxsr.jpg

Is also part of the Colossus of Constantine, and that the head is about 2.5m tall.

• IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    I was in York last summer, I saw that statue. It's pretty cool.

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    I'm just imagining how big the sculptural struts holding that statue up must have been. Like, was he standing amid a small forest or what?

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Hey if people are interested

NHK japan will be livestreaming the enthronement ceremony for the New Japanese Emperor.

Should be in about 15 minutes or so.

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Hey if people are interested

NHK japan will be livestreaming the enthronement ceremony for the New Japanese Emperor.

Should be in about 15 minutes or so.

I watched this (the first ceremony), I found it kinda funny.

Bunch of folk walk in to a ballroom with the new emperor at the stage.
    Some guys set down some boxes with sacred objects hidden inside.
    Then said guys walk away with the boxes.
    Then the emperor leaves.

It seemed like a bunch of bullshit that everyone had to suffer through.
    Quick, silent, and filled with a tension of
    "oh god, they are streaming this, don't look like a fool, keep smiling, get out here"

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Yeah it was very much the kind of thing that wasn't made for cameras.

But still kinda neat! And living history!

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I'm def interested in seeing the rest of the ceremonies.
    I've been studying Shinto, so it was interesting to hear the NHK commentary on the sacred objects being used in the ceremony, and the controversy of there being a religious presence.

VayBJ4e.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Huh. The last time I saw the balloon thing, I was under the inpression it was fake.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I'm def interested in seeing the rest of the ceremonies.
    I've been studying Shinto, so it was interesting to hear the NHK commentary on the sacred objects being used in the ceremony, and the controversy of there being a religious presence.

literally nobody but the emperor and high priests and the original artisans have actually seen the relics since their creation like EDIT: jesus since 690

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_Regalia_of_Japan

PiptheFair on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    It's pretty cool though

I think it just goes to show, many people like a bit of pageantry

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »

God I hate balloon releases.

• IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    One of the Three Treasures is literally Kusanagi, the Grass-Cutting Sword pulled out of the body of Yamata-no-Orochi after Susanoo, the God of Storms, slew the eight-headed serpent. Susanoo would much later give the sword to his sister Amaterasu, the Goddess of the Sun, after he fucked up their relationship for the fifteenth thousandth time. As the Imperial family is considered to be the actual blood descendants of Amaterasu, it's one of the symbols of the Imperial family and Japan itself.

The sword has possibly been stolen and lost several times throughout the several millennia of its existence. My favorite such story is one of the more minor ones, where during one period of open rebellion to Imperial rule, a low ranking samurai stole the sword and attempted to flee across a river with it. The sword did not like this and grew increasingly heavy, eventually drowning the man who refused to let it go. Supposedly the original Kusanagi is still at the bottom of the river, sleeping.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    One of the Three Treasures is literally Kusanagi, the Grass-Cutting Sword pulled out of the body of Yamata-no-Orochi after Susanoo, the God of Storms, slew the eight-headed serpent. Susanoo would much later give the sword to his sister Amaterasu, the Goddess of the Sun, after he fucked up their relationship for the fifteenth thousandth time. As the Imperial family is considered to be the actual blood descendants of Amaterasu, it's one of the symbols of the Imperial family and Japan itself.

The sword has possibly been stolen and lost several times throughout the several millennia of its existence. My favorite such story is one of the more minor ones, where during one period of open rebellion to Imperial rule, a low ranking samurai stole the sword and attempted to flee across a river with it. The sword did not like this and grew increasingly heavy, eventually drowning the man who refused to let it go. Supposedly the original Kusanagi is still at the bottom of the river, sleeping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cu1lHkSG80

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    xvrtzqx7xz2m.jpg

Anyone know where I can buy a pair of lion head boots sandals

Peas on
    Buddy if I knew...

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Reposted from D&D

So some time before, I had written about James Longstreet, the Confederate general who, after the war, realized that the Confederacy, slavery, and the war to protect them was wrong, and then dedicated the rest of his life to righting the wrongs he had fought for before. Longstreet has been mostly written out of the history books and general discourse since the Lost Cause-ers saw him as a traitor, but his name is still around and remembered. Yesterday, I learned about a similar man, another Confederate general who also realized that he had fought for the wrong side and spent the post-war years trying to rectify the wrongs of the past, but one who was successfully erased from the general memory of history. His name was William Mahone.

William_Mahone.jpg

Mahone was a Virginian, and maybe this was why he was erased so effectively and ruthlessly. Virginians were supposed to stay loyal to their state first, like their sainted Lee, and not choose country over state like George Thomas or repudiate it afterward, like Mahone. Mahone had been a slaveowner and proponent of secession, and had been the victorious commander at the Battle of the Crater. After the war, he worked on the railroads, trying to repair the wrecked lines, and at some point during these years, had a major change of heart.

In the late 1870s, Mahone became the head of the Readjuster Party. It was a progressive coalition of poor whites and freed blacks in Virginia, with aims "to break the power of wealth and established privilege." The planter classes had started the war to maintain their control of southern society, and they still maintained it after the war, using racism as their tool both times. Mahone clearly understood this and wanted to tear them down so the rest of society could be brought up. The main aims of the Readjuster Party were to manage Virginia's debts (because a lot of those debts had been incurred for infrastructure projects like railroads and canals...which had been wrecked in the war), promote education for everyone, and push general reforms. They abolished the poll tax and public whipping post, founded what would become Virginia State University (a HBCU), increased funding for other colleges, built schools for both black and white students, and even lead to the creation of an integrated police force.

The Readjusters were successful for some years, with a Readjuster elected Governor and Mahone elected to a term in the Senate, where he caucused with the Republicans.

Unfortunately, the planter class elites were able to seize power again in the state. Senators were chosen by state legislatures at the time, and as the old elites regained their control, they elected someone else to the Senate. Mahone died a few years later, and the Readjuster Party was taken apart. As soon as it was gone, Jim Crow was instated. Mahone had fought the good fight for nearly twenty years though, delaying the inevitable, and for that he was erased, an unofficial damnatio memoriae for daring to promote racial equality and defy the powers that used racism for their ends.

If people really want a Confederate statue somewhere, Mahone would be a good replacement for the mass-produced Lees and Forrests. Most people haven't heard the full, real, and true history of the war, after all, which included people like Mahone and Longstreet who realized the Confederacy had been in the wrong.

Mayabird on
    statues of forrest blow my mind

yes, he was one of the most successful and brilliant military field commanders to literally ever live

he also helped found the fucking klan

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

yes, he was one of the most successful and brilliant military field commanders to literally ever live

He was also a traitor to 'Merica

But most of those assholes love him because he was a racist, not in spite if his racism

Most of them are racists too, you see

the amazing thing is that he also left the klan because he felt it was too violent and racist

it's just

man, the civil was is still a helluva thing

edited May 2019
    PiptheFair wrote: »

I honestly think that his Nashville statue accurately captures every facet of the man.

195786298_f213e06da0_o.jpg

wgvhrd98zndc.png

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Forrest: I'm gonna lead the Klu Klux Klan in a terror campaign against [african americans]
    Klu Klux Klan: Commits acts of terror against african americans
    Forrest:
    Jedoc wrote: »
    wgvhrd98zndc.png

One of the fucked up things is that I have his exact hair and beard, except I don't shave my sideburns.

I probably need a haircut.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    One of the fucked up things is that I have his exact hair and beard, except I don't shave my sideburns.

I probably need a haircut.

... and a golden horse, apparently.

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    We're trying to be better than that turd, not emulate him.

Platinum horse.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

Did I end up in the Puzzle and Dragons thread?

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Susanoo just gets used a lot because he's well known.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Boy, reading about the Nashville Forrest statue was not a positive way to start my day. Would it shock the thread to learn that both the owner of the land the statue is on, as well as the artist who made the statue, are huge obvious racists?

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Everyone should Loewens Lies My Teacher Told Me and Lies Across America

This discussion has been closed.