As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A new [minecraft] thread? A new [minecraft] game? A new [minecraft] OP? What?

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    I was in a Minecraft mood so I reinstalled FTB Revelations.

Still not sure how to get this game to not stop my computer for ten minutes every hour while it takes out the trash.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    How much ram are you giving minecraft, and how much ram does your computer have?

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Here's the first three JVM arguments in the launcher:
    -Xmx5632m
    -Xms256m
    -XX:PermSize=256m

My computer has 8GB of RAM. I had planned to bump it up to 16 until I discovered my unused memory ports had died.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    edited October 2018
    Ianator wrote: »
    Here's the first three JVM arguments in the launcher:
    -Xmx5632m
    -Xms256m
    -XX:PermSize=256m

My computer has 8GB of RAM. I had planned to bump it up to 16 until I discovered my unused memory ports had died.

When you are getting that performance degredeation, is your PC's memory full? My guess is that you are bumping up against your memory ceiling, and some of Minecraft's memory is getting swapped to disk. When Java does a garbage collection cycle, it thrashes your page file as it scans over the paged memory.

The only real solutions would be to reduce the amount of ram allocated to minecraft -- but that will likely have performance impacts on that modpack (or the modpack might not work at all with less ram), to install more ram (which doesn't seem like an option right now), or use a lighter weight pack that can run well with less memory.

Some other general recommendations for anyone running minecraft:

Disable the native launcher and use the legacy launcher instead. Install 64 bit java 8 manually and keep it up to date. Configure the twitch launcher to point at your install (or let it autodetect, but make sure it's grabbing the up-to-date version).

LD50 on
  • MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
    The Underdark is back. And it is awesome.
    (more awesome than ever, anyway).

je026j1fk3vb.jpg

Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
  • RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Wait, what?

PSN: jfrofl
  • TybiTybi Registered User new member
    Hey everyone, its true the Underdark is back!

Tybi's Underdark

Hello all! Do you like caves? With the help of several people I have created an underground exploration world called the Underdark. Once you begin you won't be seeing the sky anymore unless your render distance is low. Everything is a handcrafted underground experience with over 20 differently themed biomes from your typical cobble caves to sandstone dunes, mushroom swamps, and underwater oceans. Navigate the bridges of arcane sanctuary of the netherworld for faster travels (but don't fall!) You have to explore to find each biome and the world is massive. There are little secrets along the way so happy hunting!

Once you begin, you're in the intro mining town and must find the path through downwards into ruins to find the path down into the beginnings of the Underdark. There is where your journey shall begin!

2.0 Changes:

-Map has been reset

-added more biomes

-more loot

-more ruins

A few screen shots:

https://imgur.com/gallery/DcP4rmd

https://imgur.com/a/2KOL0

Rules

This is a PvE survival exploration server. The rules all branch from the simple rule of "don't be a dick" but because this is the internet this has to be expanded upon:

Don't grief / steal / destroy other people's stuff.

Don't use offensive language. If you can't communicate without calling people names then this isn't the community for you.

Don't cheat! Xrays defeat the purpose of an exploration server.

You can farm mobs but you have to be in danger - you can't shoot at them from behind a hole in the wall and farm exp.

Server IP:

108.170.6.138:47067

The server is 1.13.2

Discord server here:

https://discord.gg/EN2edPB

Can someone tell me why I keep starting these expert mode modpacks?

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Anyone poking around in Bedrock?

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    Can someone tell me why I keep starting these expert mode modpacks?

Because you remember when you first dug into one, and really enjoyed it, and you are trying to get back to that same feeling?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    So I'm playing a modpack with the new thaumcraft.

Flux is bad, yo.

Has anyone tried mods for the pocket edition?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Been poking at modpacks a bit, currently on the 1.12 direwolf, man am I not used to packs where I can't just engage in chicken eugenics to handle resource supply, but now I've got a basic 5x5x5 Extreme Reactor up, and a tier one ore void miner seems to pull enough uranium and yellorite to keep it self-sustaining.

On the plus side this monk-themed mod is pretty damn op, my punches can mine all minables and I can kiss creepers to make them not explode.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
    I've been playing on the underdark server, which has been pretty fun. It's a nice way to come back to vanilla.

• KandenKanden Registered User regular
    Any chance I could get whitelisted to the Underdark server. Name's Kandenkiller in game. I posted in the discord too, @Radiation can vouch for me being very very good at minecraft

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Hello Minecraft thread. Skyfactory 4 went live today. Haven't fired it up yet, but according to the modpack description, sieving has been replaced with resource trees. Also,
    SkyFactory 4 introduces the prestige system! This is a completely optional game mode allowing you to unlock mods, items, and mechanics through an open progression system. Prestige points and unlocks are global and can be brought with you to other worlds! Prestige points can be gained by finishing advancements or by using the Parabox, a time traveling box that generates points. To get started, enable prestige mode on the world creation screen.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    That seems like it would be fun... if only my account hadn't been migrated without my permission two weeks ago, leaving me unable to play until the Mojang support can fix it. But hey, it's been 2 weeks and they've made a week's worth of progress through the backlog! So at this rate, I should have my account back... in a month or so.

Ugh.

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Hey,

Anyone have recommendations on mod packs for solo play. Primarily I just want to explore cool biomes, with some questing/survival but nothing too extreme.

Coming back to Minecraft after a long break.

Dixon wrote: »
    Hey,

Anyone have recommendations on mod packs for solo play. Primarily I just want to explore cool biomes, with some questing/survival but nothing too extreme.

I think nearly all modpacks work well single player. I would stay away from skyblock packs, as that doesn't sound like what you're looking for.

I've really been enjoying sevtech ages and enigmatica 2 expert, but those packs may be a bit more than you're looking for. They both have very good tiered exploration though. Biomes o-plenty for the base world, and then several extra dimensions, and they both have space travel.

Haven't made it very far along yet, but initial thoughts on Skyfactory 4: Resource trees >>>>> sieving. They don't drop the resources directly, they drop widgets you need to craft together into the resource, but not having to compost leaves to make dirt to sieve into pebbles to make cobblestone to hammer into gravel to etc etc is a welcome change of pace. So far I've got a dirt tree (you start with this one), a cobblestone tree, and a gravel tree. Haven't tried making one of the bonsai planters yet, presumably they make the resource gathering process a bit smoother.

NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Haven't made it very far along yet, but initial thoughts on Skyfactory 4: Resource trees >>>>> sieving. They don't drop the resources directly, they drop widgets you need to craft together into the resource, but not having to compost leaves to make dirt to sieve into pebbles to make cobblestone to hammer into gravel to etc etc is a welcome change of pace. So far I've got a dirt tree (you start with this one), a cobblestone tree, and a gravel tree. Haven't tried making one of the bonsai planters yet, presumably they make the resource gathering process a bit smoother.

Hopping bonzais are great. I also welcome our non ex-nilo overlords. Modern skyblock swapped out ex-nilo for something else also, to great effect.

Dixon wrote: »
    Hey,

If you want something with a lot to explore, sevtech ages is great (it forces you to at least dip your toes into tons of extra dimensions to progress), but the introduction to the modpack can be very intimidating (you start in the literal stone age). Compared to Enigmatica, I think sevtech has more dimensions and has a more guided experience.

I recommend giving it a shot, and if you have any troubles feel free to ask here and I can probably answer them.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Sevtech ages has a lot of "wander until you find this biome and fetch this specific thing" that isnt my cup of tea. Lost patience when I needed to make specifically a dark oak fence.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    Sevtech ages has a lot of "wander until you find this biome and fetch this specific thing" that isnt my cup of tea. Lost patience when I needed to make specifically a dark oak fence.

That one in particular I would cheat in.

Most of the 'wander to find a biome' stuff is alleviated by the biome heatmap changes (moving north and south changes 'temperature' and moving east and west changes 'moisture'; you can find biomes pretty easily by knowing what direction you need to go in).

SF4 update: Got an iron tree, working on upgrading my bonsai pots to the hopper ones. Need to investigate if there's any autocrafters within my current reach.

I'm nearly ready to get technological on this void, finally managed to work my way up to an osmium resource tree, which means it's time to try out the Mekanism mod once the bonsai spits out enough resources.
    SeCa42h.png
    Y1DrVSf.png
    Things I've noticed along the way:
    Unsure if intended or not, you can't feed cauldrons with hoppers like you could do back in SF3, which means no automated lava. You CAN slurp the lava out of them with a fluid extraction cable, but the item transfer cable from the same mod doesn't work to load it.
    As you can see in the second picture, sugarcane keeps growing past 4 tall. Plan accordingly.
    Either I'm missing something or the cow in a jar isn't working right for the kitchen mod stuff, I needed to manually fill buckets with milk to make my dimension-hopping cakes
    Said dimension cakes are still showing as full even though they've been used a few times, ought to confirm if it's fully bugged and infinite or just a visual bug and they'll vanish as expected.
    Nether spawns are tweaked, expect Blazes and Wither Skeletons outside of fortresses. Also cyborgs I guess.

I'm nearly ready to get technological on this void, finally managed to work my way up to an osmium resource tree, which means it's time to try out the Mekanism mod once the bonsai spits out enough resources.
    SeCa42h.png
    Y1DrVSf.png
    Things I've noticed along the way:
    Unsure if intended or not, you can't feed cauldrons with hoppers like you could do back in SF3, which means no automated lava. You CAN slurp the lava out of them with a fluid extraction cable, but the item transfer cable from the same mod doesn't work to load it.
    As you can see in the second picture, sugarcane keeps growing past 4 tall. Plan accordingly.
    Either I'm missing something or the cow in a jar isn't working right for the kitchen mod stuff, I needed to manually fill buckets with milk to make my dimension-hopping cakes
    Said dimension cakes are still showing as full even though they've been used a few times, ought to confirm if it's fully bugged and infinite or just a visual bug and they'll vanish as expected.
    Nether spawns are tweaked, expect Blazes and Wither Skeletons outside of fortresses. Also cyborgs I guess.

1: By cauldron do you mean crucible?
    2: Cow in a jar does not look like it is a valid spot for multiblock placement. You can build a plain counter/cabinet and place it on top of that instead (you might also just be able to chuck it in the fridge and have it work). You can make a second fridge segment and place it where the cow jar is now to get a double tall fridge.

edited April 2019
    1. As far as I can see the SF3 crucible is gone, and it's fluid functions rolled into cauldrons (which have an increased selection of materials to craft out of)
    2. It needs to be on a counter specifically? I'd tried having it just on the floor. Will investigate this once I hop back in.
    :edit: think I found the problem, slapped the counter with the #nofilter cookbook so it shows me all recipes instead of just the ones I have the ingredients for, it seems that the cow in a jar can only count as a single milk bucket regardless of its fill level. Time to test if this can be worked around by having multiple jarred cows.

NEO|Phyte on
    Have you tried all possible directions for in item duct into the crucible?

All the available directions (can't be below because that needs to be heat source) do not connect the item duct. Hopper to my knowledge is sides only for where it spits out. That being said just tried physically throwing a cobble in and it worked, so I guess dropper/dispenser is the way to go.

Also I am pretty sure that the version of Mekanism is in this modpack is nonfunctional, there appears to be no piping for items/power, just heat and fluids, and attempting to follow the Mekanism wiki's tutorial stuff is bumping me against recipes that aren't present. Which means I need to either wait for the modpack to get patched to solve this, or I need to figure out what other tech mods are in here and if they are in an accessible/functioning state.

1. As far as I can see the SF3 crucible is gone, and it's fluid functions rolled into cauldrons (which have an increased selection of materials to craft out of)
    2. It needs to be on a counter specifically? I'd tried having it just on the floor. Will investigate this once I hop back in.
    :edit: think I found the problem, slapped the counter with the #nofilter cookbook so it shows me all recipes instead of just the ones I have the ingredients for, it seems that the cow in a jar can only count as a single milk bucket regardless of its fill level. Time to test if this can be worked around by having multiple jarred cows.

1. Yeah, I don't think the vanilla cauldrons have an actual proper inventory to insert items into, which is why the hoppers don't work.
    2. It needs to be a valid part of the multiblock structure, which pretty much means it needs to be on top of a counter. You should be able to craft containered milk without using a bucket (as long as pams is installed anyway). You can just craft all the contents of the jar in to milks and then use them however you need to.

So, maybe a weird question, but after a couple of tries I seem to always have shit luck trying to make my own mod pack, but I have really specific wants in a mod pack. Is there, A) a mod pack that has Bloodmagic, a tech mod, something for storage, and then just a bunch of cosmetic blocks thats going to be relatively lightweight, or B) and easier way to mash all those together myself?

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I've been trying to download the all the mods pack on the twitch Launcher but every time it says I have to have a certain amount of space and I have more than enough.

Any thoughts on a fix?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    Do you have multiple drives? Make sure it's installing to the drive with space.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    Would I do that through twitch or the minecraft app?

I can't find an option on either to make sure things are installed into the right drive.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

edited May 2019
    It's the Twitch Launcher doing the downloading if you're playing modded. Somewhere in either the launcher options or pack profile options will probably be a spot to let you change the download/install location.

EDIT: Found it. Go to the three-line menu at the top left, File > Settings, Minecraft. I think that'll let you change your install path.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    Ianator wrote: »
    It's the Twitch Launcher doing the downloading if you're playing modded. Somewhere in either the launcher options or pack profile options will probably be a spot to let you change the download/install location.

EDIT: Found it. Go to the three-line menu at the top left, File > Settings, Minecraft. I think that'll let you change your install path.

Thank you, I changed the file location to the correct.

• Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    My 8yo is asking for Minecraft for the PC and he and my 6yo like to play together on the PS3. So I was thinking of getting the Windows 10 version (non the Java edition) as well as the Switch version for them for Christmas so they can play together. Does this sound like a reasonable plan? Is there anything funky I need to know about the setup so that they can play together? Someone mentioned there might be something weird about the Switch version but I'm not sure what it is.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    If you get the Bedrock Switch version (I dunno if the Java version is still available) then yeah you can play just fine between PC and Switch. My wife and I have both and have often logged in from one or the other depending on where we were sitting when we played. You can't use custom skins on the Switch and stuff like that but crossplay has been pretty smooth (we have a realm subscription so we can log in to the same save from either device, but that's not necessary as long as they're just going to join each other's worlds when they want to play together).

I think you do need the Nintendo Online subscription thing, though.