Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Assassin's Creed

1535455565759»

Posts

  • I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    edited April 25
    Okay so silly question about a cosmetic thing (post-ending of main game spoiler)
    Can... can you actually just have Alexios/Kassandra wear that power suit they have on when they meet Layla for the rest of the game

    and if the answer is no, I have a follow up question, which is why the fuck not

    I'm An Elk; Shoot Me on
  • AistanAistan Registered User regular
    No you can't and I never thought of that before so now I blame you for my life ceasing to have meaning.

    steam_sig.png
    I'm An Elk; Shoot MeJayKaoshtmel_vicio
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    that was literally the first thing I went looking for when I continued after the cutscene

    and I'm still very put out by it not being an option, even through transmogrify.

    I'm An Elk; Shoot Me
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Man I forgot how many tailing missions are in Black Flag
    It's the one big mark against it I think

    QRK7dOP.gif
    PSN: GrahamCR | 3DS Friend Code: 4399-2068-5090 | Switch Friend Code: SW-7440-9863-2027
    Rhesus PositiveSimBen
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    So I'm in origins, having a fine time with Bayek being morally conflicted egyptian batman, and I just
    Killed the old lady, the crocodile
    I'm getting kinda burnt out, though I largely enjoyed the game, and am wondering how much more there is? I don't give a SINGLE care about any of the cyberdyme whatever the hell in the cave. But I'm already using the cheat engine so I don't have to level up, but am wondering just how much more I need to pull through to see this out?
    I do love however
    Bayek's growing conflicted nature about his wife as a killer. He was all ready to do what he needed to do and be done with it, but no, his wife is absolutely an independent bad ass, which he loves, but worries about her soul being as bloody as his. And going from the smaller scale getting revenge on your kids killers to the larger scale taking on the mantle of trying to make a better egypt was nice in that it was her idea and he is very ride or die about it with her. But ugh I kinda hope cleopatra does a big enough heel turn that we can take her out too. She sucks.

  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    So I'm in origins, having a fine time with Bayek being morally conflicted egyptian batman, and I just
    Killed the old lady, the crocodile
    I'm getting kinda burnt out, though I largely enjoyed the game, and am wondering how much more there is? I don't give a SINGLE care about any of the cyberdyme whatever the hell in the cave. But I'm already using the cheat engine so I don't have to level up, but am wondering just how much more I need to pull through to see this out?
    I do love however
    Bayek's growing conflicted nature about his wife as a killer. He was all ready to do what he needed to do and be done with it, but no, his wife is absolutely an independent bad ass, which he loves, but worries about her soul being as bloody as his. And going from the smaller scale getting revenge on your kids killers to the larger scale taking on the mantle of trying to make a better egypt was nice in that it was her idea and he is very ride or die about it with her. But ugh I kinda hope cleopatra does a big enough heel turn that we can take her out too. She sucks.

    pretty close, iirc. Looking at the menu, there are
    only three hidden targets left, and I feel fairly sure they happen in fairly quick succession

  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Finished Odyssey today.
    Which, with the patches working in hooks for the new Atlantis DLC stuff, means that my ending was a big splash menu saying "GET READY FOR THE FATE OF ATLANTIS, COMING SOON". Always fun to have the ending of a game be an ad for having to buy the ending of the game.

    Family all lived, and yeah, the switch from murder machine Deimos to repentant son Alexios was jarring. But then he started drunkenly wrestling Stentor, so I'll allow it.

    Didn't like how the Cult stuff ended. I basically knew who the leader would be after Perikles died and in the end, it didn't feel like the game justified killing Aspasia, despite her position. She was both the leader of a secret cabal that tried to rule over ancient Greece by violence, war, lies and deceit, and also that one mook in Iron Man 3 who throws down his gun and goes "I never liked these guys".

    And also the Cult was actually the Assassins? They're Chaos and Layla says she works for Chaos, while Kassandra ending the Cult brings about the sort of Order that we see later assassins fight against. Assassin's Creed Odyssey is actually Templar Creed Origins?

    Non-story wise, I miss the old style of AC games, honestly. I miss it being one or two huge cities, I miss the social stealth aspect, I miss running on rooftops. There's a bit of Athens where running on rooftops is viable, and I want more of that again. I don't think I'll get it, I don't think they'll ever go back to that style of game, but... I think it'd be incredibly interesting to see what Ubisoft could do if they decided to make a new AC game in the vein of Assassin's Creed 1.

    steam_sig.png
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Yeah replaying the Americas games have been like, remember blending? Remember notoriety? Remember tailing? (Unfortunately yes, on that last count)

    QRK7dOP.gif
    PSN: GrahamCR | 3DS Friend Code: 4399-2068-5090 | Switch Friend Code: SW-7440-9863-2027
    Blake TSimBen
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited April 27
    @David_T
    I don't think the Cult being the Assassins quite tracks. I don't remember the specific dialogue you reference about order and chaos, but between the ending of Origins and the First Blade DLC makes it clear the breakdown is something like:

    The Assassins arise from the Hidden Ones in Egypt, who themselves are operating on some precepts established by Darius, who killed the emperor of Persia. We haven't seen how but it's evident that some of that knowledge and the specific use of the Hidden Blade has been spreading in the centuries between Odyssey and Origins

    The Templars seem to arise from a more diffuse collection of conspiracy groups who attempt to control their own corners of the ancient world. The Cult of Kosmos is destroyed, but they operate pretty much exactly on the same pattern as the Order of Ancients, who were clearly more successful in both Persia and later Egypt. I think the Cult's existence largely just drives home the idea such groups will always arise to impose control

    I don't really see any similarity between the Cult and the Assassins. The Cult is absolutely all about order, not chaos

    Grey Ghost on
    QRK7dOP.gif
    PSN: GrahamCR | 3DS Friend Code: 4399-2068-5090 | Switch Friend Code: SW-7440-9863-2027
    DarkPrimus
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    It's Pythagoras showing up when Kassandra touches the pyramid the Cult worships.

    "It was never supposed to be like this.

    Decades ago, a group of people gathered together to uphold a theory which they believed could control the universe. That the world functioned in equal parts, order and disorder. But some fell lovingly into the wicked arms of chaos. And the Cult of Kosmos was born. They abused their power, casting the Greek world into eternal war - one you were created to stop. In destroying the Cult, you have done what I could not. You are a hero.

    But this imbalance comes with a price, my child.

    For without chaos, there is supreme order. A loss of progression and freedom. But there is still hope - hope in you, hope in the future you will bring. We must fix the mistakes of the past. Use the staff. Repair the rift in the universe.

    The world depends on you, Kassandra. You need to be the hero again."

    Aspasia then talks about how in the future there'd be order under the reign of a philosopher king, but that she couldn't achieve this future with the Cult and their "chaotic regime". And then when Layla meets Kassandra, Kassandra talks about having tried to bring an end to chaos and it led to ruin, while Layla says that she used to assist order but now fights for chaos.

    I don't mean that there's a direct link between the Cult and the Assassins, but on the larger scale they're both on the Chaos side, while the Templars are on the Order side. And Kassandra and Pythagoras' talk about imbalance and how ending chaos brought ruin sounds like Kassandra's actions triggered the status quo of all the following AC games, where the Templars are directly or indirectly in power and the Assassins are the rebellion.

    steam_sig.png
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Hmm, okay, I see what you mean
    I remember now that I thought those speeches were kinda muddled, and still do

    QRK7dOP.gif
    PSN: GrahamCR | 3DS Friend Code: 4399-2068-5090 | Switch Friend Code: SW-7440-9863-2027
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I mean, they're Assassin's Creed story-dumps. It's a long-running tradition that they be written at the last possible moment in a mad rush by whatever member of the writing team that's been awake the longest and downed the most energy drinks to compensate.

    steam_sig.png
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Man seeing how the America games all connect up again reminds me that I just really fucking love this stupid series and its needlessly dense lore, y'all

    QRK7dOP.gif
    PSN: GrahamCR | 3DS Friend Code: 4399-2068-5090 | Switch Friend Code: SW-7440-9863-2027
    SirEtchwartsPoorochondriacAndy JoeJayKaosFencingsaxSimBenJoolander
  • htmhtm Registered User regular
    edited May 2
    David_T wrote: »
    It's Pythagoras showing up when Kassandra touches the pyramid the Cult worships.

    "It was never supposed to be like this.

    Decades ago, a group of people gathered together to uphold a theory which they believed could control the universe. That the world functioned in equal parts, order and disorder. But some fell lovingly into the wicked arms of chaos. And the Cult of Kosmos was born. They abused their power, casting the Greek world into eternal war - one you were created to stop. In destroying the Cult, you have done what I could not. You are a hero.

    But this imbalance comes with a price, my child.

    For without chaos, there is supreme order. A loss of progression and freedom. But there is still hope - hope in you, hope in the future you will bring. We must fix the mistakes of the past. Use the staff. Repair the rift in the universe.

    The world depends on you, Kassandra. You need to be the hero again."

    Aspasia then talks about how in the future there'd be order under the reign of a philosopher king, but that she couldn't achieve this future with the Cult and their "chaotic regime". And then when Layla meets Kassandra, Kassandra talks about having tried to bring an end to chaos and it led to ruin, while Layla says that she used to assist order but now fights for chaos.

    I don't mean that there's a direct link between the Cult and the Assassins, but on the larger scale they're both on the Chaos side, while the Templars are on the Order side. And Kassandra and Pythagoras' talk about imbalance and how ending chaos brought ruin sounds like Kassandra's actions triggered the status quo of all the following AC games, where the Templars are directly or indirectly in power and the Assassins are the rebellion.

    I agree with all that, but...
    ...the Cult shares the style of the Templars. It's a top-down hierarchical organization that survives by covertly manipulating people and events. I'm not really an AC lore nerd, but I kind of remember that the Assassins exist entirely to oppose the Templars and to keep them from ruling the world. That feels more like Kassandra's relationship to the Cult. She opposes the Cult because she hates them and what they've done, not because she has her own opposing vision of how the world should be organized.

    If you rephrase the conflict from Order vs. Chaos to Control vs. Freedom, then the Cult vs. Kassandra definitely mirrors Templars vs. Assassins.

    On a more meta level, I also think that...
    Sorta-libertarian homicidal ubermensches vs totalitarian conspiracy collectivists is probably no longer the central conflict that Ubi wants to drive their lore. It's just not a good look in 2019. I suspect that they'll move future stories in a direction that adds more ambiguity to the ideologies of the Assassins and Templars.

    htm on
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I just finished up episode 1 of the Fate of Atlantis DLC and it was pretty fucking cool!
    episode 2 drops tomorrow but I'm going to wait and play 2 and 3 together

    QRK7dOP.gif
    PSN: GrahamCR | 3DS Friend Code: 4399-2068-5090 | Switch Friend Code: SW-7440-9863-2027
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    The most recent lost tales of Greece free quest is hilarious, I love it

    The more you help people in this town
    the more they keep getting killed in hilarious accidents, much to the bemused chagrin of kassandra. They definitely responded to everyone loving how testiclays died

    I can’t believe how good these free tales missions have been. Normally this kind of post game stuff is misc quest central, but they’re all fantastic and have some memorable characters and quite a bit of meat on the bones

    Fencingsax
  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    Finished Odyssey today.
    Which, with the patches working in hooks for the new Atlantis DLC stuff, means that my ending was a big splash menu saying "GET READY FOR THE FATE OF ATLANTIS, COMING SOON". Always fun to have the ending of a game be an ad for having to buy the ending of the game.

    Family all lived, and yeah, the switch from murder machine Deimos to repentant son Alexios was jarring. But then he started drunkenly wrestling Stentor, so I'll allow it.

    Didn't like how the Cult stuff ended. I basically knew who the leader would be after Perikles died and in the end, it didn't feel like the game justified killing Aspasia, despite her position. She was both the leader of a secret cabal that tried to rule over ancient Greece by violence, war, lies and deceit, and also that one mook in Iron Man 3 who throws down his gun and goes "I never liked these guys".

    And also the Cult was actually the Assassins? They're Chaos and Layla says she works for Chaos, while Kassandra ending the Cult brings about the sort of Order that we see later assassins fight against. Assassin's Creed Odyssey is actually Templar Creed Origins?

    Non-story wise, I miss the old style of AC games, honestly. I miss it being one or two huge cities, I miss the social stealth aspect, I miss running on rooftops. There's a bit of Athens where running on rooftops is viable, and I want more of that again. I don't think I'll get it, I don't think they'll ever go back to that style of game, but... I think it'd be incredibly interesting to see what Ubisoft could do if they decided to make a new AC game in the vein of Assassin's Creed 1.

    Yeah, I jokingly say that the old games were foot games, where you can explore the majority of the game on foot and everything happens up close. These are now horse games and a bunch of the combat is about sniping people off at a distance with a bow, which is fine (it's fun), but it isn't why I got into the game to begin with.

  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 6
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I just finished up episode 1 of the Fate of Atlantis DLC and it was pretty fucking cool!
    episode 2 drops tomorrow but I'm going to wait and play 2 and 3 together

    I'm only a couple hours into Episode 2 but I think the writing blows Episode 1 out of the fucking water.

    DarkPrimus on
    dt3GeqU.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • SimBenSimBen Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Man I forgot how many tailing missions are in Black Flag
    It's the one big mark against it I think

    I’m at 84% and I must have one-starred half the damn missions in the game because they had a tailing section

    I know nobody there is checking the Black Flag user ratings anymore and by god I hope later games have less of those.

    sig.gif
  • SimBenSimBen Registered User regular
    Also god the future parts of Black Flag are the best ones so far

    Probably especially for me but god I wish there was more of it.

    sig.gif
    Perrsun
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I think the tailing missions could be done well now

    I would like a return to something like the earlier games

    AssBro might still be my favorite game in the series

    I play games on ps3 and ps4. My PSN is DouglasDanger.
  • SimBenSimBen Registered User regular
    Shattering a fort to rubble in Black Flag is maybe one of the most satisfying things I’ve ever done, gamefeel-wise.

    sig.gif
    chromdom
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Since Origins and Odyssey have dropped social stealth entirely I believe they have also dropped tailing missions. I certainly don't recall any in these games. I imagine Unity and Syndicate still have a few

    QRK7dOP.gif
    PSN: GrahamCR | 3DS Friend Code: 4399-2068-5090 | Switch Friend Code: SW-7440-9863-2027
  • SimBenSimBen Registered User regular
    Black Flag also innovated by introducing boat stealth, an even worse stealth

    Really I wouldn’t mind it so much if all the stealth missions didn’t have a “don’t get spotted” bonus objective. You want 100% sync so this absolutely turns all those missions into reload-if-spotted. Really discourages experimentation with the otherwise solid tool set.

    I rag but Black Flag is easily my favorite one up to that point.

    sig.gif
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Since Origins and Odyssey have dropped social stealth entirely I believe they have also dropped tailing missions. I certainly don't recall any in these games. I imagine Unity and Syndicate still have a few

    I don't recall many in Unity(and Syndicate, but it's been awhile) and if they were there, generally unoffensive.

    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Boat stealth is worth it if only for the "entering a forbidden area I better put my hood up so nobody recognizes me while piloting my pirate ship"

    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
    FencingsaxSimBen
  • SimBenSimBen Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Boat stealth is worth it if only for the "entering a forbidden area I better put my hood up so nobody recognizes me while piloting my pirate ship"

    While my crew is bellowing WEIGH ME BOYS TO CUBA

    sig.gif
    SnicketysnickJayKaoschromdomStiltsPerrsunRhesus Positive
  • PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    edited June 7
    SimBen wrote: »
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Boat stealth is worth it if only for the "entering a forbidden area I better put my hood up so nobody recognizes me while piloting my pirate ship"

    While my crew is bellowing WEIGH ME BOYS TO CUBA

    Well, that’s back in my head. May as well listen to the real thing.
    rizzpfl6qrxv.jpeg
    https://open.spotify.com/track/7I5Io7uuk6kFvFe16Wm3xZ?si=9G6kJxldSuO1rmkpbrZxdA

    Perrsun on
    SimBen
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    I don't know who asked for it, but apparently we're getting a Story Creator mode. Make your own, multi-stage, quests!

    more interesting to me is a Discovery Tour. I still need to go back through the one for Origins.

  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I did a bit of the Discovery stuff for Origins, it's neat

    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    So no assassins news? That’s fine I guess they’re taking longer with the games and it’s a good thing

  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    I don't know who asked for it, but apparently we're getting a Story Creator mode. Make your own, multi-stage, quests!

    Oh, so I can now adapt episodes of Xena into AC: Odyssey???

    2mw6ukw.jpg
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    So no assassins news? That’s fine I guess they’re taking longer with the games and it’s a good thing

    There's going to be a concert tour, but I'm not sure whether that had ever been announced beforehand.

    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane
    Pokemon Moon Name: Moon
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    So no assassins news? That’s fine I guess they’re taking longer with the games and it’s a good thing

    The Odyssey team has apparently been working on a Greek Myth flavored open world game in the mode of Breath of the Wild.

    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
    StraightziRhesus Positive
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    they've been talking about the concert tour stuff for a while

    Zonugal wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »
    I don't know who asked for it, but apparently we're getting a Story Creator mode. Make your own, multi-stage, quests!

    Oh, so I can now adapt episodes of Xena into AC: Odyssey???

    heavy on the 'adapt', but yeah, I don't see why not.

  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited June 11
    edit: whoops wrong tab

    Crippl3 on
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited June 12
    there's an "up to 50%" discount for the in-game store at the moment.

    if, like me, you ended up with helix credits as part of the original purchase, it might be worth checking out.

    Tamin on
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    this just in: the Hades boss fight at the end of the second episode is some absolute bullshit garbage, and what's worse, it's bullshit garbage that goes on forever

    QRK7dOP.gif
    PSN: GrahamCR | 3DS Friend Code: 4399-2068-5090 | Switch Friend Code: SW-7440-9863-2027
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    this just in: the Hades boss fight at the end of the second episode is some absolute bullshit garbage, and what's worse, it's bullshit garbage that goes on forever

    Welcome to every boss fight in every Assassin's Creed games ever, except for the Pope fight at the end of AssCreed 2.

    dt3GeqU.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Get ye poison bow.

    It was definitely a little bit too long though, I agree.

    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
Sign In or Register to comment.