As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Painting Miniatures] What colour is the best colour to paint your miniatures?

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    So it's not totally finished, but here's my Lord-Aquilor to Chaos Lord conversion so far. I haven't done anything to the actual Gryph-Charger itself, since it was like 90% of the reason I got the model and I didn't want to fuck it up

er5VYwc.png

81wweFX.png

Edit: I definitely need more practice modifying models, that left arm there was a comedy of errors. I cut the shoulder off anticipating I'd be using a CSM arm as the carrier for a couple of reasons, but I also needed to cut the shoulder off of the CSM to accommodate the fit and I cut off the hand so I could stick on the hand holding the banner, but then I realized the banner is supposed to be in the opposite hand, so I had to trim the Daemon banner hand, and for the hand holding the handle of the banner I took the giant storm crossbow thing, chopped off the hand holding its handle, and then cut the banner in two and stuck it so it looks like he's holding it

and I probably could have saved like 3-4 steps there if I'd been more observant before I started modifying.

@Lord_Asmodeus

Do you still have the unhelmeted head that came with the lord-aquilor and are willing to part with it? I've been trying to find one for my Primaris Ragnar conversion.
    I used this stuff for my Beastclaw Raiders:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ranger-Tim-Holtz-Distress-Crackle/dp/B005FY5HCW/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1?keywords=rock+candy+crackle+paint&qid=1556567504&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull

9vpe9xytqwyv.jpg

Pretty cheap, and you get a decent sized tub of the stuff. Fairly easy to use too, you can just slap it on and wait 24 hours or so, the thicker the layer the larger cracks you get, then I just ran a blue wash into the cracks and a white drybrush over the top.

I will check that out, seems like a good price on amazon.
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Stragint wrote: »
    Anyone know a good brand of crackle paint I can get off of amazon? I kind of need a lot for this knight base.

You can make your own with some white glue and one of the cheap acrylic paints

Do you have a youtube video showing this?

I know how to do it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_hepp7J2VA

Did it come out that way because the glue was painted downwards?

I was taking the knight off the base so I could get good coverage. His feet broke off. I was considering leaving them off and buying the 3D printed Space Wolves feet from the same guy I bought the head and shoulders from but it would be $32+S&H and it would take like 15 days and my new job starts on Monday and I don't get paid till the 24th so I figure I might as well keep the current feet. Maybe make another Space Wolves knight some day.

As the glue dries with the paint on top of it, does the crackle appearance

You paint on the glue while it is still tacky you paint on the paint you want. you can either let it air dry or use a hair dryer if you want to speed it up and you get that distressed old look

What I meant was the look. I'm going for a cracked ice look and in the video the look doesn't really match what I'm going for so I was wondering if it came out that way because of the way the glue and paint were put on.

You can thicken the glue/paint

I have some elmers glue and probably some cheap acrylic paint so I will give it a try and see if I like how it comes out.

Thank you both for the help.

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    A different, worse colour
    If you are in the UK I have the heads off that model

J wrote: »
    If you are in the UK I have the heads off that model

Unfortunately I'm in the US.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    That's the crackle stuff I used to make my transparent ice bases.

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Purple
    So it's not totally finished, but here's my Lord-Aquilor to Chaos Lord conversion so far. I haven't done anything to the actual Gryph-Charger itself, since it was like 90% of the reason I got the model and I didn't want to fuck it up

er5VYwc.png

81wweFX.png

Edit: I definitely need more practice modifying models, that left arm there was a comedy of errors. I cut the shoulder off anticipating I'd be using a CSM arm as the carrier for a couple of reasons, but I also needed to cut the shoulder off of the CSM to accommodate the fit and I cut off the hand so I could stick on the hand holding the banner, but then I realized the banner is supposed to be in the opposite hand, so I had to trim the Daemon banner hand, and for the hand holding the handle of the banner I took the giant storm crossbow thing, chopped off the hand holding its handle, and then cut the banner in two and stuck it so it looks like he's holding it

and I probably could have saved like 3-4 steps there if I'd been more observant before I started modifying.

@Lord_Asmodeus

Do you still have the unhelmeted head that came with the lord-aquilor and are willing to part with it? I've been trying to find one for my Primaris Ragnar conversion.

I do, and I wouldn't mind

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln

er5VYwc.png

81wweFX.png

@Lord_Asmodeus

I do, and I wouldn't mind

Awesome, I'll send you a PM.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Purple
    Has anyone used the GW snow texture paint? I was thinking of adding that to my Ultramarine bases, since the entire base theme is an arctic steppe, with light grass and rocks and I already have some snowy plants. I was thinking of how to do the snow when I saw the GW snow texture. Just not sure how good it is.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Purple
    I liked it.

H01lNv1.jpg

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    10 more GSC neophytes down, only 10 more to go. Then the rest of this nonsense, but that’s another day.
    Duvjo0V.jpg

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    An mini I wanted long ago I got on ebay
    mjfv8tpptvbr.jpg
    s5tcu05nvivm.jpg
    Kind of interesting they just did a wash and were done with it

edited May 2019
    I bought some crackle paint. It apparently dries clear which is pretty cool but I guess I didn't put it on thick enough cause I only got the small cracks no big ones. Maybe I can't get big ones and the bases I saw were done differently.

I'm letting it sit for 24 hours, it has been 11 or 12 so far. I might see if I can add more to the really flat areas.

CUlGp7w.jpg

Stragint on

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Honestly, @Stragint , it may not have been what you were going for but it looks great.

@Brainleech it looks like they made it up as a statue or objective marker rather than a played mini. Pretty cool statue, though!

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Old Master that came only in one of those big army boxes at the time, I think.

• JustTeeJustTee Registered User regular
    Purple
    So I set up my airbrush last night and primed some new Gloomhaven minis, and said Eff It, and primed the other KDM monsters I had assembled. I think I'm improving with live troubleshooting of airbrushing, as I had a couple separate and different issues last night that I was able to work through. I think I *probably* should be using an airbrush with a bigger nozzle for priming, but I got through 5 gloomhaven minis and 8 KDM boss monsters with only minor issues.

One thing was clogging. I was zenithal priming, but the base coat of black meant that I had to do ~13 minis all fully coated, which meant a lot of black primer. I did a small bowl twice, then got cocky/stupid and did a large bowl of primer. However, I finally figured out how to backblow (I think that's the term), and that seemed to make a huge deal in terms of being able to mix the airflow improver and the primer. So, I had one clog here with the black primer, but after figuring out the back blow, no more clogs for the rest of the session.

The next issue I was having was that I was getting some splatter on the minis when I was first pressing the trigger down (airflow only, no paint). I couldn't really figure out why (I was cleaning the front of the airbrush regularly), but an easy enough solution was to depress the trigger with the brush facing my hand first, move it to the model, then send paint. Super duper obvious, but took me several minis to work through it.

I have a few questions though:
    First - I use a ventilation paint station and a mask with filters. I don't have the ventilation station venting *into* anything. Is that kosher? Or should I rig it to vent into a bag or something?
    Second - My mask isn't...very...comfortable? Like, it doesn't quite fit entirely over my chin / nose. Either it's barely covering my nose or it's pressing into my chin awkwardly? I use something like this: Respirator. Does anyone know if any of them are designed to fit a bigger face or do I just suck it up?
    Third - Anyone have any tips for longer airbrush sessions in terms of ergonomics? My shoulders/neck were *tight* by the time I finished. Also any just general table set up tips would be great. A lot of the videos I've watched go into detail of how to use the airbrush and how to clean it, but don't really talk about setting up your area to be comfortable. Maybe because you can't, really? I dunno.

Diagnosed with AML on 6/1/12. Read about it: www.effleukemia.com
    edited May 2019
    JustTee wrote: »
    So I set up my airbrush last night and primed some new Gloomhaven minis, and said Eff It, and primed the other KDM monsters I had assembled. I think I'm improving with live troubleshooting of airbrushing, as I had a couple separate and different issues last night that I was able to work through. I think I *probably* should be using an airbrush with a bigger nozzle for priming, but I got through 5 gloomhaven minis and 8 KDM boss monsters with only minor issues.

One thing was clogging. I was zenithal priming, but the base coat of black meant that I had to do ~13 minis all fully coated, which meant a lot of black primer. I did a small bowl twice, then got cocky/stupid and did a large bowl of primer. However, I finally figured out how to backblow (I think that's the term), and that seemed to make a huge deal in terms of being able to mix the airflow improver and the primer. So, I had one clog here with the black primer, but after figuring out the back blow, no more clogs for the rest of the session.

The next issue I was having was that I was getting some splatter on the minis when I was first pressing the trigger down (airflow only, no paint). I couldn't really figure out why (I was cleaning the front of the airbrush regularly), but an easy enough solution was to depress the trigger with the brush facing my hand first, move it to the model, then send paint. Super duper obvious, but took me several minis to work through it.

I have a few questions though:
    First - I use a ventilation paint station and a mask with filters. I don't have the ventilation station venting *into* anything. Is that kosher? Or should I rig it to vent into a bag or something?
    Second - My mask isn't...very...comfortable? Like, it doesn't quite fit entirely over my chin / nose. Either it's barely covering my nose or it's pressing into my chin awkwardly? I use something like this: Respirator. Does anyone know if any of them are designed to fit a bigger face or do I just suck it up?
    Third - Anyone have any tips for longer airbrush sessions in terms of ergonomics? My shoulders/neck were *tight* by the time I finished. Also any just general table set up tips would be great. A lot of the videos I've watched go into detail of how to use the airbrush and how to clean it, but don't really talk about setting up your area to be comfortable. Maybe because you can't, really? I dunno.

I use one of these mask.
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Honestly, @Stragint , it may not have been what you were going for but it looks great.

Yea, it doesn't look bad and I might stick with it. I was hoping for larger cracks around the feet. I'm gonna finish it up and see how I feel about it. Not sure if I'd be able to clean the base off if I don't but I do also have an extra knight base to work with.

The plan now is to dry brush some white scars and I might try the valhallan blizzard snow texture paint and put those on the flat parts of the base.

Stragint on

• GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Has anyone used the GW snow texture paint? I was thinking of adding that to my Ultramarine bases, since the entire base theme is an arctic steppe, with light grass and rocks and I already have some snowy plants. I was thinking of how to do the snow when I saw the GW snow texture. Just not sure how good it is.

I use a bunch for my Game of Thrones figures, its pretty good.

GaryO on
    edited May 2019
    Did the dry brush. Really think I need to add something on those flat surfaces so probably gonna put on the GW snow paint.

I was planning on a gloss varnish to keep a kind of shiny look going on the ice.

UpWm2a8.jpg
    GaryO wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »

I use a bunch for my Game of Thrones figures, its pretty good.

Hopefully this helps. This base used some of the snow texture paint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbMSFeL9gko&t=1s

Stragint on

• GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Finishing up my first step on the path to chaos, an Iron Warriors kill team. It's my first real attempt at a little kitbashing, and a little lore writing too.
    gpr5j3kw0323.jpg
    The Zealot
    When had he first become aware of the glory of the Gods? When he’d seen the captures of the miracle on Nuceria. Lorgar had ordered all visual record of that momentous day be transmitted across the Warmaster’s forces, to further prove to the incredulous the power and glory of the Primordial Truth. To see Angron’s apotheosis, even through the distorted helm footage, was to know the existence of God. Ever since, he had devoted himself to the Pantheon, honing his murderous craft in honor of the true powers of the universe.

04xkcuvaav19.png
    edited May 2019
    Should I do a gloss or matte varnish on the ice base for my knight?

Edit: The more I look at the base the more it just looks like water. Not sure how to fix it.

I put on some matt varnish, I think it looks a bit better.
    eDEIMpb.jpg
    VPfqBDo.jpg

Started the stencil for the last touches on the knight. They did not go well but I made the best of it.

First layer of the fang. Might do another thin coat and then move onto two thin layers of russ grey and the do the black details and touch up.
    Dnnz3Ph.jpg
    O9OIIHW.jpg

Stragint on

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Purple
    The bit I'm hesitant with pre-crackle application, is knowing where to glue the stand stuff on the base that I'll actually be gluing my models to.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    So I took a break from 40k and dug into the Slaves to darkness battleforce my brother got me for Christmas.

FULL ALBUM

The Group leader or whatever, can't remember his name
    doEifyRh.jpg
    mgEeLGdh.jpg
    nOE2s8Oh.jpg

Banner boy, my first time attempting wet blending. The freehand symbol didn't go so great but whatever.
    U6uAlGyh.jpg
    IXLZXkqh.jpg

Group Shot of the first four done.
    QqZFz0Lh.jpg
    GztRcK7h.jpg
    YIlJkpwh.jpg

• DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    Any one got any suggestions for my Algoryan AI squad? Warlords scheme is red... and that’s about it. Was thinking Orange and some other color. Don’t mind using red but it’s one of my fall back colors.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

Added some Valhallan blizzard to the base. I like how it looks. The guy at the GW store said I should do a 50/50 mix of drakenhof nightshade and water and paint it around the edges of the snow to create a blend. Not sure if I want to or not.

Base so far:
    VKFIiTn.jpg

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Purple
    That GW guy should not be listened to.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    edited May 2019
    That GW guy should not be listened to.

Yea, I like how it looks, I don't want to mess with it or try to shade it at all.

Also, painting yellow sucks. I've done two thin coats on the shoulder of my Space Wolves and the color underneath is still somewhat peaking through. Hopefully a third thin coat fixes this.

I am also almost done with the shoulder and knee for my knight. Just gotta add the details to the ironwolves symbol and then the knight is complete, base and all.

Edit: Glued the knight into place on the base. Feel slightly concerned about stability, hopefully it dries just fine and I don't have to worry about it coming off of the base.

IN7J8KV.jpg
    RFTA4ts.jpg

Stragint on

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Purple
    I don't think I could play a 40k horde army without an airbrush.

Just basecoated 30 Boyz and 20 grits in like an hour.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    What's a good site for buying tufts of grass of various color and base decorations?

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Purple
    What's a good site for buying tufts of grass of various color and base decorations?

Amazon has a selection of flock and such that is priced at about the regular amount.

steam_sig.png
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Purple
    Finally starting to wrap up (heh) a Tomb Kings team for this season of my Blood Bowl League. This one has been a passion project for me and involves some of the most serious conversion work I've ever done. I became very familiar with drilling and pinning doing these guys!

Here are my skeletons ready to see the light of day; they're a kitbash of the old, out of print WHFB Tomb Guardians, with GW's new Skeleton Warriors. The two kits are actually at slightly different scales, but I think the result gives them a barrel-chested look that I really dig. I decided to number all of my players in hieratic script, which was one of ancient Egypt's writing systems. It may potentially lead to some confusion during play, but fuck it!

hm8q7nkoptlp.jpg

pejntwmekxfg.jpg

87c340yc5ghw.jpg

ei4e7zexlfqx.jpg

Amazon has a selection of flock and such that is priced at about the regular amount.

What search terms should I use?

Also, crackle ice is just not working with me. Everything I've seen said the more that is used the larger the cracks will be but I tried it on a 32mm base and it didn't really change. Maybe it was because it was on a 32mm base?

grEyWX8.jpg

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    You brushed from the edge to the center or from the center to the edge with that base

Brush it on in straight lines. THe cracking is random you can kind of control it but again it's random

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Purple

Yeah but then you're supporting Amazon and not something decent. Keep brick and mortar alive. <_<

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Purple
    Army Painter and Gamer's Grass tufts are both excellent. Gamer's Grass in particular has loads of options.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Purple

Also, crackle ice is just not working with me. Everything I've seen said the more that is used the larger the cracks will be but I tried it on a 32mm base and it didn't really change. Maybe it was because it was on a 32mm base?

grEyWX8.jpg

Its not the size of the base, but the amount of crackle you put on it. The thicker you slather it on, the more its supposed to crack. Unless you already knew that and I misinterpreted what you were saying.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    edited May 2019

grEyWX8.jpg

Its not the size of the base, but the amount of crackle you put on it. The thicker you slather it on, the more its supposed to crack. Unless you already knew that and I misinterpreted what you were saying.

I put a whole bunch on it to get the big cracks but I'm not getting the big cracks.

Stragint on

Purple
    I feel like a bit of a dunce asking, but for gluing stands onto the bases before crackling them, should I just try to see where the model would go without them and just glue them there? On the ones with only one foot down that's not much of a problem but the ones with 2 or more it seems like that could go badly.

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Purple
    Does anyone have any tips for achieving a really crude cast iron effect? I've got the new Chaos Space Marine kit and I'd like to make some of the shoulder pads have this look.

I want to capture the dullness, pitting, and dark color of something like this:
    20141121-cast-iron-pan-restoration-daniel-gritzer-edit-28.jpg

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Various “metallic blacks” exist* that you can use as a base, combined with stippled on flat black and a lighter metal like gunmetal or a really dark silver then a final stippling of dark orange for rust spots should do it.
    You can add a streaky oil wash over the top for extra grunginess too.

*Vallejo have at least two, maybe three and I’m sure other manufacturers make similar ones.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    Tried to make some more cracked bases. Tried a lava one for fun. I still can't seem to get the cracks I'm looking for and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I'm putting the crackle paint on thick.

ZFo0BNq.jpg

This discussion has been closed.