As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Destiny 2] Shadowkeep Launching October 1!

• SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    My charged Axion Bolts hits for around 58.000 damage.

... Until you get to the bosses, then it suddenly only hits everything in that room (bosses and mobs) for puny 2300’ish damage?

That does not make much sense to me.

Sirialis on
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    NATBurn decided we'd take out Riven three times and then open bunch of chests. It was @Custom Special's first time at Riven. In my mind that meant we were probably in for a long night. This is saying nothing about CS's skills. Riven is just a complicated fight, so I figured it would take a bit to pick up.

To avoid having to input the Riven code in a bunch of times, I was going to swap characters to keep checkpoints. On my warlock first, we showed CS how to start the encounter, showed him to his room, and let him see what Riven looked like. We wiped on purpose and then I swapped characters. When I rejoined, someone had put down a Banner already meaning I couldnt get ammo or my super up. "No big deal", I said, "I'll just explain the entire encounter to Custom Special and we can make an attempt. I doubt we complete it here and then I'll switch characters again."

So I explain the entire encounter to Custom Special. We drop down and start. He handles his adds perfectly. Helps stun Riven and kill Captain. Does damage. We get to the top room, where it continues to go flawlessly. CS shoots his eye, so does everyone else. We kill enough Cysts to go to the shadow realm during the first phase. He makes it through that fine. We do damage, jump in his mouth, and kill the heart. Custom Special, the beast that he is, one shot Riven on his very first try. Freaking amazing.

We proceed to one shot Riven again on our second characters. Our third run at Riven took a few more tries, but we took her down again.

Next came Queenswalk, which was not immediately perfect, but CS got teleported in first during our successful run and managed that role great as well.

Then came the chests. GUESS WHO GOT A 1KV?!?!!
    qvlarbn6s6ls.jpg
    No one. No one got a 1KV. That makes chests 37, 38, 39 for me.

ObiFett on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Young Ahamkara Spine tripmines and the revelry tonic is an awful lot of fun, lemme tell you what.

Is there a limit on how many you can have out?

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    NATBurn decided we'd take out Riven three times and then open bunch of chests. It was @Custom Special's first time at Riven. In my mind that meant we were probably in for a long night. This is saying nothing about CS's skills. Riven is just a complicated fight, so I figured it would take a bit to pick up.

To avoid having to input the Riven code in a bunch of times, I was going to swap characters to keep checkpoints. On my warlock first, we showed CS how to start the encounter, showed him to his room, and let him see what Riven looked like. We wiped on purpose and then I swapped characters. When I rejoined, someone had put down a Banner already meaning I couldnt get ammo or my super up. "No big deal", I said, "I'll just explain the entire encounter to Custom Special and we can make an attempt. I doubt we complete it here and then I'll switch characters again."

So I explain the entire encounter to Custom Special. We drop down and start. He handles his adds perfectly. Helps stun Riven and kill Captain. Does damage. We get to the top room, where it continues to go flawlessly. CS shoots his eye, so does everyone else. We kill enough Cysts to go to the shadow realm during the first phase. He makes it through that fine. We do damage, jump in his mouth, and kill the heart. Custom Special, the beast that he is, one shot Riven on his very first try. Freaking amazing.

We proceed to one shot Riven again on our second characters. Our third run at Riven took a few more tries, but we took her down again.

Next came Queenswalk, which was not immediately perfect, but CS got teleported in first during our successful run and managed that role great as well.

qvlarbn6s6ls.jpg

I got a heavy exotic in my first chest!!!

....Black Talon. :ar:

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    edited May 2019

qvlarbn6s6ls.jpg

Meanwhile I, who only raid once per week got my 3rd or 4th Anarchy last sunday even though most of my raid team who raids 3 times a week at least have 2 people who still dont have a single Anarchy.

This rigid RNG system is some unenjoyable shit most of the time, especially so given that this is a GaaS game where time is of the essence for many things... For example I finally got Shards of Galanor from Xur not long ago... Yeah, its crap now, nerfed into the ground long before I got it, its literally like a super shitty version of Skull of Dire Ahamkara.

Sirialis on
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Young Ahamkara Spine tripmines and the revelry tonic is an awful lot of fun, lemme tell you what.

Is there a limit on how many you can have out?

Nope. I had two or three out at a time. It was great and people are not used to avoiding them anymore, people used to watch for the sneaky thrown tripmine as someone disengaged from a fight but I caught a surprising number of goobers last night.

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Speaking of RNG...
    https://dm.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/bji47x/so_t1riot_finally_got_his_1k_voices_after_101/

This guy is one of the 12 people who managed to clear the raid day one.

• VagabondVagabond Sans Gravitas Glimmer Mafia DonRegistered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    Speaking of RNG...
    https://dm.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/bji47x/so_t1riot_finally_got_his_1k_voices_after_101/

24:02 :sad:

vq2TEKC.png
    XBL: Sans Gravitas, Steam, Destiny, Twitch
    Destiny Raid Groups: Team NATBurn, Team Fourth Meal (Disbanded)
    Arteen wrote: »
    Speaking of RNG...

Seeing this just makes me not want to try anymore. 100 clears to finally get it? Thats some bullshit.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I feel like Bungie should just retroactively give it to everyone with 30+ completes and no 1KV. Not that they will.

• Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    Eh, then you gotta run that script like once a week at reset and some shit, since then the next people to hit 30+ get screwed.

But longer term solutions like a currency you can spend for random drops but can horde to get a guaranteed drop, or a triumph that accrues progress, or anything seems helpful.

I feel like Bungie should just retroactively give it to everyone with 30+ completes and no 1KV. Not that they will.

I’d say 10-15.

It's nothing new for some of us, I have 26 Wrath clears and no Nanophoenix.

I have 75 WotM Hard Mode completions. Of course, I got Nanophoenix, but it did take a fair few of those.

vq2TEKC.png

I feel like there is a different expectation for cosmetics versus actual gear, though

Hard RNG sucks. Nobody enjoys it.

The smart thing to do is still to just have weighted drops and each time you don't get X rare thing, you bump up the chance to get it.

Maybe make the function non-linear so your chance to get the thing increases slowly at first and sharply after a certain amount.
    Probably hardcap it at some point since even at a 99% chance to drop there's a chance someone gets fucked.

It's not hard and it just feels better.

edited May 2019

I feel like there is a different expectation for cosmetics versus actual gear, though

On the one hand, yes, but on the other hand it's a drop that I don't have and I feel like I did the thing enough to get it. I'm not mad about it exactly because it is a cosmetic but it still doesn't feel great.

Edit: I also don't have a 1KV yet and I don't have as many clears as you do but I've had my share.

Peen on
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    I don't even know you, Mostlyjoe13, and you're helping Dodge in his wicked Australian crusade! It's not fair! I got a divorce! I got another cat! I have a girlfriend! I finally finished the Destiny 2 puzzle I got for Christmas! You can't pull me back in!

*reinstalls Destiny 2*

One lil raid can’t hurt

You get to fight a mech

You like mechs don’t you

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    Been having fun with the Iron Banner full armor set. Works best for my mix of PvE and PvP play.

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I don't really get why they moved away from quests for the raid exotics but then made quests for damn near every other exotic weapon.

I honestly don't remember what Legend of Acrius required, but I do know that I have one.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Grimoire Anthology Volume 1 is $10.69 on Amazon right now: https://www.amazon.com/Destiny-Grimoire-Anthology-Vol-I/dp/1945683449/

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Grimoire Anthology Volume 1 is $10.69 on Amazon right now: https://www.amazon.com/Destiny-Grimoire-Anthology-Vol-I/dp/1945683449/

Everyone go buy this so they make more

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

It's a really nice book too. Lots of original art and you get an emblem for D2 as well if that's something you care about.

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    I don't even know you, Mostlyjoe13, and you're helping Dodge in his wicked Australian crusade! It's not fair! I got a divorce! I got another cat! I have a girlfriend! I finally finished the Destiny 2 puzzle I got for Christmas! You can't pull me back in!

*reinstalls Destiny 2*

One lil raid can’t hurt

You get to fight a mech

You like mechs don’t you

I do like mechs...

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod

Kinda glad, I didn’t finish it yet and I don’t feel like getting on to complete it before the reset deadline.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I didn't even bother picking it up once they said it was broken

Opty wrote: »
    I didn't even bother picking it up once they said it was broken

There was always a chance they'd get it fixed sometime between when he left on Tuesday and showed up again on Friday. Was worth it to pick it up just in case.

vq2TEKC.png
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

It's a really nice book too. Lots of original art and you get an emblem for D2 as well if that's something you care about.

dammit, I do love art books.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Huh, I scrolled down on the page and it said I could save $4 off $10 book purchase if I use the Amazon Assistant app (which I already have on Chrome). So uh, I guess I'm ordering this up for $7!

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    edited May 2019
    Well, 2 shitty losses and then 2 wins in comp away (including a 4v3 that was somehow the sweatiest game of the lot) I've managed to go from 1850 to ..... 1886?

Fucking seriously Bungie? That's what a win streak gets you compared to a loss?

shryke on
    Well, 2 shitty losses and then 2 wins in comp away (including a 4v3 that was somehow the sweatiest game of the lot) I've managed to go from 1850 to ..... 1886?

-60, -60, +68, +88. Seems fair to me? Another win would get you +108, then +128, and any additional after that would net +148.

vq2TEKC.png
    Vagabond wrote: »

-60, -60, +68, +88. Seems fair to me? Another win would get you +108, then +128, and any additional after that would net +148.

That's horrendously slow. That's a net gain of +8 trading wins and losses when you have to climb hundreds.

That's horrendously slow. That's a net gain of +8 trading wins and losses when you have to climb hundreds.

If you trade, yes. Climbing is done via streaks. Those streaks get progressively more beneficial as you add to them. Out of curiosity, what progression would you think is more fair?

vq2TEKC.png

I would think a 50% win rate should be a slow gain in a ranked ladder.

Except that's not how it works because it counts streaks. So how you structure your 50% win rate matters a TON.

Also it's not a ranked ladder because it's not skill-based matchmaking.

Except that's not how it works because it counts streaks. So how you structure your 50% win rate matters a TON.

I understand how the streak thing works.

Just saying that a 50% win rate having slow progress is pretty standard for something like this. Its literally breaking even, so not sure why you'd expect quick progress with that kind of result.

It's explicitly a ranked ladder because it tries to match by Glory rank. It might not be the rank you want but it's ranked.

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    It's a bad ranking ladder, but it is a ranking ladder.

edited May 2019

In a sample of 4 games, you hit the optimal output with a two-win "streak" which nets +36. WLWL/LWLW/WLLW are least optimal but still reward +12 +16. Not really that crazy when, as you noted, you require thousands of points. The difference might only get pronounced given a large corpus of games played with a 50% win rate, assuming some statistically improbable streaks (say, 15 win streak followed by 15 loss streak)

EDIT: +16, not +12

Vagabond on
    vq2TEKC.png
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

I understand how the streak thing works.

Just saying that a 50% win rate having slow progress is pretty standard for something like this. Its literally breaking even, so not sure why you'd expect quick progress with that kind of result.

If it were an actual ELO system you should expect zero progress from a 50/50 win rate. That would mean it had accurately ranked you.

The issue is they ties goals and progression rewards to what was meant to be a ranking thing. In the process they made sure it couldn't do either job well.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish