As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Formula One & motorsport] Round 16, Russia: In Soviet Russia, V12 drives you!

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's a strong driver line-up at Renault, and the works car is now being handily beaten by the McLaren with the same engine - and a rookie driver. Renault should be strong contenders for "best of the rest" at least - look at Hulkenberg's history of qualifying/finishing seventh, behind only the Big Three teams - but this year they have seriously dropped the ball with that car.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    altid wrote: »
    Veevee wrote: »
    altid wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Mercedes is on another planet this year. We aren't even at the run of tracks that are Mercedes tracks. Glad Bottas is getting some wins, but I hope everyone realizes how dangerous Lewis is right now. He doesn't normally kick it in to high gear until after the summer break, but he's already got two wins and two second places. If he does his yearly "Oh, summer break is over? Guess it's time to win 5 in a row" we'll be seeing a six time champion this year and he'll quite possibly be within single digits of the win record.
    I really do hope Lewis kicks into gear soon. I'm not at all hot on Bottas after two years of mediocracy + a certain tendency for some sections of the fanbase supporting him purely as an anti-Hamilton thing (nobody here ofc, but it's out there). I also seriously wish the commentary would give over about him "having a win taken away by bad luck" last year - he lucked into the winning position due to a fortunately times SC and would have been 3rd at best otherwise. I reckon Hamilton could have had him in this race but for the VSC and a mistake towards the end though.

Ferrari remain masters of their own demise. Leclerc red hot right into a wall in quali, otherwise he was a contender. Strategy left him out far too long on the mediums and ultimately the softs were nowhere at the end. If he'd been on a normal strategy from a decent grid position who knows how the race could have went?
    By anti-Hamilton are you also implying anti-black? That definitely is out there, but I just wanted to be sure. I personally would prefer Bottas over Hamilton, but also would prefer anyone over a Mercedes driver. For me, it is entirely a "Someone different" thing though.

I thought the race was a rather good one, but I find the technical and tactics side of the sport incredibly compelling. I'm not really rooting for a single driver or team, I watch because I'm watching the drivers drive one of the most advanced automobile on the planet.
    Nope, not implying that at all. I'd agree there's an element of racism out there but it's not what I'm referring to here. Just the consequence of being a successful driver but taken to petty levels at times.

I'm pretty unashamedly a Hamilton fan which undoubtedly colours my opinions but Bottas just hasn't shown me anything particularly strong yet. His wins are largely ahead at the first corner types and the end of last season was downright embarrassing at times. He's still in the "decent midfield driver" pack for me.
    Here's the thing, Hamilton usually don't have a good go at these early races. It usually takes him time to really get to form, but he's gotten there fast this year....which should scare the field. If he's already driving this well during his normal "readjustment" period, how good is he going to be when the seasons gets to the stretch of races that he traditionally dominates?

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Ferrari clearly having LeClerc on the shitty strategy again is not fun. Really want to see him ahead of Max and taking the fight to the Mercs.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    oldmanken wrote: »
    So, I would have to go back and watch it again, but I'm pretty sure characterizing LeClerc's fastest lap as just barely getting there is a little off.
    My recollection is that he knocked over a second off the next fastest, while also setting a track record.
    Yes Bottas had a 1:44.02 (with DRS and tow from Russel) and LeClerc hit 1:43.01 (also had DRS but a slightly worse tow) on the next lap.

steam_sig.png
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Even if they pitted LeClerc a few laps earlier (or even a lap earlier so he wasn't stuck on the main drag during the VSC) I think their intended benefit of the soft compound was overstated compared to what Mercedes was able to do on much older rubber. Still, it's a shame they still didn't get the strategy quite right to give him the best opportunity.

Feel a bit sorry for Gasly's retirement, he was having a good mid-race chasing down the top 6 and would have made it I reckon.

steam_sig.png
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    You’ve got to believe Ricciardo is getting a bit anxious. They were supposed to be best of the rest but uh, he and Niko have 12 points and 5 DNFs between them in 4 races.

I don't know if he'd be that anxious. Yes, drivers always want to compete, but this move to Renault was first and foremost a cashing-in move, it was always going to be a worse car than RB, maybe he didn't think by this much, but it was always going to be a move down the grid.

I believe it's a two year deal he signed with them? If so, that's even more signs that it's just an in-between contract that gets him out of Verstappen's upcoming shadow, gets him paid more for the privilege, and leaves him free to go after Vettel's Ferrari seat in 2021.

Dhalphir on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »
    Ferrari clearly having LeClerc on the shitty strategy again is not fun. Really want to see him ahead of Max and taking the fight to the Mercs.

He put himself on the shitty strategy. There's only so much you can do when you start 8th.

In any case.... huge ups to McLaren to making Renault look like dumbasses. McLaren was looking mighty lame early this season but it does seem like there's at least some speed in that car.

Jasconius wrote: »

He put himself on the shitty strategy. There's only so much you can do when you start 8th.

In any case.... huge ups to McLaren to making Renault look like dumbasses. McLaren was looking mighty lame early this season but it does seem like there's at least some speed in that car.
    There was no need to have him lose so much time on old tires, specially when the track was getting colder and the new, softer tires would take a couple of laps to switch on.

Had they pitted him 3 laps earlier he would've cone out behind Verstappen and ahead of Vettel, but I guess that's exactly what they didn't want.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

There was no need to have him lose so much time on old tires, specially when the track was getting colder and the new, softer tires would take a couple of laps to switch on.

Had they pitted him 3 laps earlier he would've cone out behind Verstappen and ahead of Vettel, but I guess that's exactly what they didn't want.

I was pretty sure
    that Ferrari were attempting to use LeClerc to back the Mercs into Vettel, which almost worked but then they just blew past him and Ferrari looked like fools.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I don't know if Leclerc really had an opportunity there or not, but it feels like Ferrari hung him out to dry again. Mercedes have no challengers this season. The only question is, can Bottas manage to keep Hamilton at bay? Doubtful.

I'm pleased with McLaren's showing, they're still my team. I'd love to see Norris push at the lead of "the rest", but we'll see how the rest of the season goes. Still hoping for Renault to give Ricciardo an actual car.

Honestly, though? This is shaping up to be a terrible season.

I was pretty sure
    that Ferrari were attempting to use LeClerc to back the Mercs into Vettel, which almost worked but then they just blew past him and Ferrari looked like fools.
    They were using him to back the Mercs up, and he held them up some, but he should have pitted the lap after Bottas passed him. Lewis was clearly going to blow by him on the straight (he did) and then he was holding up his teammate right behind!

steam_sig.png
  • altidaltid Registered User regular
    While I still think they left Leclerc out too long, he really only has himself to blame for being stuck on a counter strategy.

I'm still very torn on McLaren. I used to support them, and would like them to do well - but I also despise the dirty tobacco money they took. Shout out to Perez for an impressive drive in the racing point.

I'm not writing the season off just yet. Although Merc have the 1-2's going, they haven't felt overly comfortable (bar Aus and possibly China). Ferrari screwups have contributed to Merc's success. Bahrain was a Ferrari win thrown away. Leclerc had pace in Baku but tossed it in quali. There's also the Barcelona upgrade packages due to land which can mess up the running order. So yeah, great for Merc so far but not unchallenged like 2014-16.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I'm finding Formula E a lot more enjoyable than F1 this season. Eight different race winners in all eight races so far.

I belatedly watched the McLaren documentary, Grand Prix Driver, on Amazon last night.

Hoo boy. That did not turn out how they thought it would...

Stoffel looked haunted when testing started and they realised what they had.

In other news, the W Series kicks off at Hockenheim this Saturday. C4 F1 were pushing it a bit, not least since they're broadcasting it (and throwing some big names at the presentation, too - David Coulthard, Ted Kravitz and Lee McKenzie for starters). It's a new all-female driver series, and the cars are F3 spec.

In a way I think it's a shame that it needs to exist - in theory there shouldn't be any more obstacles for female drivers to come up through the motorsport ranks; but of course in reality there absolutely are, which is why I'm also glad this is happening and I really hope it ends up being a positive force to showcase talented female drivers, rather than encouraging segregation.

We shall see how it turns out, but I for one will be tuning in.

Jazz wrote: »
    In other news, the W Series kicks off at Hockenheim this Saturday. C4 F1 were pushing it a bit, not least since they're broadcasting it (and throwing some big names at the presentation, too - David Coulthard, Ted Kravitz and Lee McKenzie for starters). It's a new all-female driver series, and the cars are F3 spec.

In a way I think it's a shame that it needs to exist - in theory there shouldn't be any more obstacles for female drivers to come up through the motorsport ranks; but of course in reality there absolutely are, which is why I'm also glad this is happening and I really hope it ends up being a positive force to showcase talented female drivers, rather than encouraging segregation.

That's awesome, actually! And yeah, good it's there, sad that it needs to be.

I didn't know about Tatiana Calderon on F2 until I watched this past race. It's awesome that we're getting more and more women out there, but I guess there is a need for some sort of feeder series to get them more quickly.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019

That's awesome, actually! And yeah, good it's there, sad that it needs to be.

I didn't know about Tatiana Calderon on F2 until I watched this past race. It's awesome that we're getting more and more women out there, but I guess there is a need for some sort of feeder series to get them more quickly.

They are already pretty well represented in the feeder Karting series, but for some reason they are rarely picked for sponsorship and moving up from there.

Edit: Even if the times the women run are better I expect to hear how they are obviously not as good as the other F3 series

Veevee on
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    It's the same problem with any sport: So many generations of women have been told they can't do it that there's not a very large pool of experienced, talented racers to draw from. There needs to be role models so that new generations dream of being a champion racer. Then more women will go through the years it takes to be an elite athlete. And then there will be a larger pool to draw from.

But this process takes generations. The work being done now will pay off in 20 years. Lots of people like to use that long term payoff to declare it a failure. I watched people try to do it with hockey, and now we're just seeing the payoff begin. So we gotta start somewhere with F1.

Nova_C on
    It took long enough with football (soccer) too. It's still a work in progress, but the women's World Cup (for one example) has become a big draw now, and not before time. That's at least 20+ years of effort showing a good payoff, but yeah, it takes a while. It could actually be quicker with motorsport (we've had prominent female F1 test drivers for some time now, who strangely never seem to get a race seat, though), but it's getting teams/sponsors to actually put their money where their mouths are since it's such an expensive sport. The W Series gives them one less excuse not to do that, and the prize fund is substantial enough to help at least the eventual champion get a bit of a leg-up.

Also, Formula E was a bit derided when it started, but quickly established itself as a vital series, with some great racing. W Series could do similarly (especially as a spec series) and I hope it does.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I basically have the same feelings about it. Sucks it has to exist, but glad it does to start doing the generational work required to get more women in to top motorsport.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited May 2019
    W Series calendar:
    • Hockenheim, Germany - 4 May
    • Zolder, Belgium - 18 May
    • Misano, Italy - 8 June
    • Norisring, Germany - 6 July
    • Assen, Netherlands - 20 July
    • Brands Hatch, UK - 11 August

There are 18 race drivers and two reserve drivers listed on the site, you can see more about all of them here: https://wseries.com/drivers/

(Edit: corrected date of Assen race, incorrect date is quoted below)

Jazz on
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    W Series calendar:
    • Misano, Italy - 8 June
    • Assen, Netherlands - 10 July

There are 18 race drivers and two reserve drivers listed on the site, you can see more about all of them here: https://wseries.com/drivers/

Thanks for this.
    Do you know if there are any streaming options? It's extremely unlikely this will end up on our Canadian sports networks :(

edited May 2019
    Aridhol wrote: »
    W Series calendar:
    • Misano, Italy - 8 June

Thanks for this.
    Do you know if there are any streaming options? It's extremely unlikely this will end up on our Canadian sports networks :(

No mention of it on https://wseries.com/w-hub/ which is where all their news seems to be, but it's airing in Oceania, Asia and Africa, and live in the UK (on Channel 4), Netherlands and Nordic countries, perhaps others. As far as a legit stream goes, I can't see anything yet. Hopefully there'll be something.

Jazz on
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    W Series calendar:
    • Misano, Italy - 8 June

Thanks for this.

As far as I can tell, Channel 4 in Britain is literally the only place to watch it. I can not find any mention of it being shown anywhere else.

Veevee wrote: »
    W Series calendar:
    • Misano, Italy - 8 June

Thanks for this.

As far as I can tell, Channel 4 in Britain is literally the only place to watch it. I can not find any mention of it being shown anywhere else.

:(

Maybe I need a British friend.

There's a streaming service in Nordic countries (Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Finland) called Viaplay that will be streaming it, if you can get that. https://wseries.com/w-hub/w-series-races-to-be-broadcast-live-across-nordics/

Channel 4 in the UK will have it up on their All 4 app after airing, but that app doesn't handle live broadcasts.

Wow, in Australia it's going to be broadcast by SBS free-to-air! No timing yet though

steam_sig.png
    Can you watch SBS online? I haven't had a TV antenna in years.

Dhalphir wrote: »
    Can you watch SBS online? I haven't had a TV antenna in years.

Yep, I watch most of my SBS and ABC stuff online - they're way ahead than the commercial channels in this regard

steam_sig.png
    Corrected date of Assen race in the W Series calendar above; I'd typo'd and put 10 instead of 20.

@TeeMan where did you find out the info on SBS streaming Formula W? Hockenheim is supposed to be at 2:45pm UK time, which would be around quarter to 10 WAST, or quarter to midnight AEST, but at that time according to the SBS guide online there's only Premier League & a movie offering on the various channels.

Dhalphir wrote: »
    TeeMan where did you find out the info on SBS streaming Formula W? Hockenheim is supposed to be at 2:45pm UK time, which would be around quarter to 10 WAST, or quarter to midnight AEST, but at that time according to the SBS guide online there's only Premier League & a movie offering on the various channels.

@Dhalphir

https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/05/02/sbs-to-broadcast-w-series-races/

Suggests that it's available via app or online, but doesn't provide specific details

steam_sig.png
    There's like fifty SBS apps on the Android play store, I'll have to play around with them.

This is a pretty great example of how the "No one watches womens sports" is a bunch of horse shit.
    It would sure be nice if I could find out a way to do so!

No one watches this stuff we're almost actively hiding!

gah

I'm almost at the point of registering to Twitter so I can prod SBS directly because I can find nothing else online. At worst VPN and try to watch it via Channel 4?

steam_sig.png
    TeeMan wrote: »
    I'm almost at the point of registering to Twitter so I can prod SBS directly because I can find nothing else online. At worst VPN and try to watch it via Channel 4?

That's basically my plan.
    VPN and a post code.

• evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Re: SBS and W-Series
    SBS will live stream each of the six races via the SBS On Demand app and here on the SBS Sport website. The first race kicks off this Saturday 4 May in Hockenheim, Germany streaming from 11.45pm AEST

from https://www.sbs.com.au/topics/sport/article/2019/05/03/watch-w-series-make-history-its-aim-women-racing-formula-1

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

evilbob wrote: »
    Re: SBS and W-Series
    SBS will live stream each of the six races via the SBS On Demand app and here on the SBS Sport website. The first race kicks off this Saturday 4 May in Hockenheim, Germany streaming from 11.45pm AEST

from https://www.sbs.com.au/topics/sport/article/2019/05/03/watch-w-series-make-history-its-aim-women-racing-formula-1

Thanks mate, that's 9:45pm local time tomorrow night so that'll do me nicely

steam_sig.png
    Good Lord just broadcast it on Youtube or something where people could actually watch it!

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.