As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Path of Exile] 3.7 "Legion" league launches June 7th

• YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/bjmndc/an_update_from_chris/

Big post by CW on a variety of things. Among them is no plans for Synthesis to go core at the moment.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    It's too easy to compare Synthesis to Delve, and Delve is smooth, chocolately goodness. They need to fix memory fragments randomly deciding to close four seconds after starting them, and the rewards need to be high in order to compete with how quickly and easily you can sail through delve content. I'd also rework fractured/synth items, maybe reworking it like Veiled items (choose from three implicits based on modifiers from the items).

Mainly I think they just focused too much attention on late-game content and alienated most of the userbase that barely reaches T10 maps (like me).

I stopped picking up fractured items entirely a few weeks ago. The only ones I id now are the possible 3 mods from bosses. Everything else was too consistently worthless.

• AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Fractured items dropping randomly is a decent idea. Just put down a Syntheziser in the Hideout, soup up the value of the fixed mods on the dropped items somewhat.

Another thing I would like is having a map device that puts up the six portals on the inside of a concave arc, so all the portals are somewhat equidistant to you.

Absalon on
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I think their major problem is making fractured items wearable. I kind of think it would have been better if they were Harbinger multi piece unique style items with affixes or psuedo affixes that pulled from a pool. I mean I even stopped picking up 3 affix items because most of them were crap too.

Jubal77 on
  • fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    i like the idea of making fractured and synthed items 100x rarer and loot filterable, but alot more useful for synthing

the best way to make money and feel good (for me) is to not pick up items worth less than 5/10/15c etc

making me pick up hundreds of shit items that no one wants or can price is a feels bad for frost moment

J3qcnBP.png
  • SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    I for one am very happy that synthesis isn't being rolled in to core, because I hated this league and its mechanics.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Yilias wrote: »

Big post by CW on a variety of things. Among them is no plans for Synthesis to go core at the moment.

I probably tend to give companies too much the benefit of the doubt, but I really like the way he handled this here, and appreciate the openness of admitting that they were time crunched and didn't release the best product with Synthesis.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    I think they are wary of toning down their ambitions but Synthesis obviously needed to work differently and be less bugged from the get-go, and more playtesting would have revealed that. I hope the next league's feature/mechanics are more bare-bones so they can focus on improving old stuff like melee.

The only problem is they opened the complexity can of beans. If they go back to Harbinger/legacy etc style leagues in terms of complexity but have solid balance changes people will just whine about the league being not complex.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    The only problem is they opened the complexity can of beans. If they go back to Harbinger/legacy etc style leagues in terms of complexity but have solid balance changes people will just whine about the league being not complex.

People will whine no matter what they do.

• GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    i like the idea of making fractured and synthed items 100x rarer and loot filterable, but alot more useful for synthing

the best way to make money and feel good (for me) is to not pick up items worth less than 5/10/15c etc

making me pick up hundreds of shit items that no one wants or can price is a feels bad for frost moment

This attitude speaks to the big problem I had with the Synthesis league: the rewards were literally nothing if you weren't doing high-end trading. Saying "you need to find three matching items to get anything worthwhile" is completely fucking bonkers when one out of a hundred items even could even possibly qualify and then one out of a thousand of those would even match. So the answer to "how do I participate in this league" is the same as it is for every other question: you buy shit.

I thought these games were supposed to be about finding loot?

Garthor on
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I ran Farrul last night on a whim, and got his chest. Which is apparently worth 15 Ex, which is literally as much as I've made the entire league so far. I didn't get my first ex drop until last week, at level 95 (and with a lvl 92 alt).

I guess RNGesus has been saving up for me.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

I do love how he basically called out everyone (industry and outside) and said he'd never push crunch time on his company.

This is why I give them money every league.

It's commendable to set limits on what you feel is healthy, but it also means needing to recognize and account for the restrictions it places on your work. If they don't want people to work overtime for the holiday season then their goals for spring need to be achievable with whatever hours people are working.

It's commendable to set limits on what you feel is healthy, but it also means needing to recognize and account for the restrictions it places on your work. If they don't want people to work overtime for the holiday season then their goals for spring need to be achievable with whatever hours people are working.

Rihgt, but how often do they really fuck up. I haven't paid any attention for quite a while leading up to the tail end of Syndicate and the start of Synthesis, so maybe they have been fucking up on a regular basis, but if this is a once in a long while issue, it sounds more like they just got enthusiastic and it bit them in the ass.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

Bestiary was last year's spring league.

Garthor wrote: »

This attitude speaks to the big problem I had with the Synthesis league: the rewards were literally nothing if you weren't doing high-end trading. Saying "you need to find three matching items to get anything worthwhile" is completely fucking bonkers when one out of a hundred items even could even possibly qualify and then one out of a thousand of those would even match. So the answer to "how do I participate in this league" is the same as it is for every other question: you buy shit.

I thought these games were supposed to be about finding loot?

for me the game is way less about finding loot, but more about building a character, making it your own, finding cool drops and feeling the RNG flow thru my veins 16 hours a day

J3qcnBP.png

So, once a year? I mean, if it doesn't wreck the game outright, maybe just every spring season will just be weak because it's following a lot of holiday time?

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

they care about retention, far more than whining, and I bet you a shiny nickle this league had HORRIBLE retention

edited May 2019
    It could be argued that Betrayal was held up by delve and incursion being put into vanilla. And that Delve required some major post release love to get good.

Jubal77 on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    It could be argued that Betrayal was held up by delve and incursion being put into vanilla. And that Delve required some major post release love to get good.

betrayal itself was not a great mechanic for a number of reasons

but yeah, the redesign of the core gameplay loops REALLY helped

also delve was ugly for about 1 month before they ironed out the kinks, and sulphite was still too hard to come by

Got my first ever red map drop, pretty excited about that.

race practice went really well!

qg0SMYf.png

12 hours for lvl 73 + tabula is pretty much my fastest SSF time ever. i would have to rework my skill tree (2h EQ is no bueno past yellows without disfavor lvl dps) but overall i am very happy

pls demi i want you

J3qcnBP.png
  • themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    race practice went really well!

qg0SMYf.png

12 hours for lvl 73 + tabula is pretty much my fastest SSF time ever. i would have to rework my skill tree (2h EQ is no bueno past yellows without disfavor lvl dps) but overall i am very happy

pls demi i want you

I'm pretty much guaranteed an alt art demi which is a nice upside of playing on Xbox. On the other hand, not quite the bragging rights of PC ;)

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck

Which wasn't a bad expansion, it just wasn't great (like Delve, but to a lesser extent).

It's now a part of the core game and it's p great, Einhar is a fantastic character, and it's opened new avenues to getting difficult content/items as well as adding CRAB BARRIERS. Remember, PoE is a game you can sit out a league or two that doesn't tickle your fancy. I played Ambush and I think a few others, then put it down until Essence. Skipped Abyss and Bestiary. I bounced off this league hard even with good first impressions, but I'll probably run the Flashback league once it fires up.

• CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    I miss essence league. It was so nice just constantly having good gear in every slot, and being able to slap +phys damage to everything made Facebreakers so easy to gear for.

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Returning noob here, first time making it to act 2. I have questions about looting.

What the hell am I supposed to pick up? I've dropped back to just rares and the occasional blue that's my 'type' (light armor since I'm a witch). There's getting to be a lot of different orbs and I understand some of them are more useful later on, and some are just crap? The two vendor recipes I'm currently using most are for the chromatic orb and I'm working on a full set of rares to do that trade-in. Anything else worth aiming for at this point?

What orbs do I keep versus spend?

Synthesis seems bad and like a waste of space.

Having fun with my Summon Raging Spirits build though.

• AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I still have fun with Synthesis league, in part because PoE is a fun game at its core. In part because reworks and new skills give something new to try. The actual league mechanic, well...

Chris said something last year about Tier 2 and Tier 3 leagues. Essence is a Tier 1 league: you encounter monsters which drop special items. Breach was a Tier 2 league: you encounter an event which drops extra items, including special items which unlock bosses to fight for endgame items. A Tier 3 league is something like Betrayal: you encounter special monsters which drop special items (Veiled modifiers), you can manipulate the Syndicate board to unlock unique rewards (Safehouses) and can unlock an endgame boss fight (Mastermind) which has its own rewards.

The thing about this is you can choose whether to engage with higher tiers in a given league. In Delve at Tier 1 you can just run delves for loot, maybe aiming for certain reward nodes; at Tier 2 you explore side areas, destroy fractured walls, pick up fossils for crafting; at Tier 3 you delve deeper and deeper for more challenge and boss fights. Delve had 3 good tiers of content that any given player could focus on and feel rewarded.

Betrayal league highlights how this can get skewed. Everyone focused on Tier 2 because safehouse rewards were bonkers. The Mastermind fight felt too challenging, insufficiently rewarding for the effort invested, and most importantly it screwed up people's Tier 2 gameplay by resetting the board. Betrayal therefore didn't encourage players to progress through the tiers. Additionally, there was no practical way to engage with just Tier 1, as eventually you ran out of veiled mods to unlock (the "drop items" option for Syndicate members hints that they had a system in place to make the encounters themselves something to do for a reward, but those are so rare as to be irrelevant). Also I haven't had any of the performance issues everyone rages about, on a PC with an 8 year old i3, 8GB ram, and a 1060. Some minor slowdowns but that's it, and if you build HC tanky Syndicate isn't very dangerous at all.

So Synthesis league. Tier 1, you encounter memory modifiers and run them for extra loot. Tier 2, you place memories in the Nexus and get to run these areas again, aiming Delve-like for distant memory rewards. Tier 3, you have bosses to fight and a whole fractured/synthesized crafting system to make crazy items. The progression avoids the pitfalls of Betrayal where there's only one tier worth pursuing.

Where it falls short is in the sharp increase in mastery required to feel like you, the player, are effectively engaging with a tier of the league. Tier 1 not so much: clear decaying memories quickly, get loot. It's simple and rewarding! Tier 2 is a huge jump: optimizing memory modifiers and amplifiers, getting the right piece shapes to path to rewards and good layouts to make them easy to run, dealing with decay which bricks a path you meant to take and impacts the build meta negatively (certain movement skills suck in decaying areas). Tier 3 isn't so bad as it pertains to boss encounters (area mods affecting them is just a balance choice) but the complexity involve with synth crafting items is infamously overwhelming. And it highlights the deliberate barriers in place for item trading, in the worst possible way.

An aside: I think trading is fine (apparently in softcore it's a million times worse and everyone is a bot, afk, or a price fixer??) but obtaining desirable fractured items requires players who otherwise don't want to engage with trading to feel like they're obligated; said unwilling players then loudly complain about a system that's entirely optional because they opted into it. The noise will subside as they go back to ignoring trade next league.

I've been enjoying Tier 1 Synthesis a whole lot, cruising through extra areas for free loot with a soft timer going on generally feels great. I've been dabbling in Tier 2 a bit, being picky about memory layouts and levels, pathing to reward nodes, but generally ignoring memory modifiers. They're too much work to feel like the complexity is worth my time. I have builds to make and rip to crazy dangerous bosses, whether I'm getting 30 maps worth of value from 10 memories or 50 maps worth from optimizing it for hours just doesn't harsh my dopamine buzz like it does some players. And I've generally avoided synth crafting for similar reasons, also who wants to spend hours and exalts in HC getting a cool, marginally better item, only to lose it a few days later? Fractured mods are kind of cool on their own though.

But that complexity existing is like catnip to the types of players that PoE attracts and ensnares retains, and those players are largely obsessed with efficiency, min maxing, and mastery. Engaging with a system without fully understanding and optimizing it isn't how PoE players function, in part because the game really encourages you to go down the rabbit hole in everything you do. You can tell that it's a system where a real galaxy brain can exploit it to the fullest, while you're out here just vendoring fractured items, puttin memories together haphazardly, and wondering when you'll have 3 exalts and a 1k ES regalia pop out of a chest

So TL;DR people hate Synthesis for making them feel dumb

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    No, I hate synthesis because it was fucking broken when it launched.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053

Which wasn't a bad expansion, it just wasn't great (like Delve, but to a lesser extent).

It's now a part of the core game and it's p great, Einhar is a fantastic character, and it's opened new avenues to getting difficult content/items as well as adding CRAB BARRIERS. Remember, PoE is a game you can sit out a league or two that doesn't tickle your fancy. I played Ambush and I think a few others, then put it down until Essence. Skipped Abyss and Bestiary. I bounced off this league hard even with good first impressions, but I'll probably run the Flashback league once it fires up.

Bestiary was pretty bad and poorly tuned at launch. They had to make several major changes to nets to make it feel workable, and ultimately they had to scrap the net concept entirely to bring it into the core game.

edited May 2019
    I didnt hate synthesis because it made me feel dumb. I hated it because it was obviously not fleshed out at release that made it the most likely the worst league mechanic in over a year. Even with fixes is still only meant for those who are the 1% of the population of which currency means little to nothing.

The only positive about the experience was the extra maps given but even then they made the experience futher F2P rngish with the collapsing nodes originally frequently causing lost nodes or paths. Bosses get modifiers making them undoable for a majority of players at higher levels. The rewards from which were not worth the trouble.

It was a league built for the 1% which disconnected a majority of the population from the league from the outset from confusing mechanics and low value itemization for 99% of drops.

It was horrible design.

Jubal77 on
    captaink wrote: »
    Returning noob here, first time making it to act 2. I have questions about looting.

What the hell am I supposed to pick up? I've dropped back to just rares and the occasional blue that's my 'type' (light armor since I'm a witch). There's getting to be a lot of different orbs and I understand some of them are more useful later on, and some are just crap? The two vendor recipes I'm currently using most are for the chromatic orb and I'm working on a full set of rares to do that trade-in. Anything else worth aiming for at this point?

typically, as you are leveling, download Filterblades/Neversinks filters (on the final page you can download all strictness levels) and stay on semi strict for entire all of your gameplay

https://www.filterblade.xyz/

It will show you good bases, good recipe items, and you will learn why you are picking up stuff

you dont have to worry to much about "light medium or heavy" since this game is pretty class agnostic. looks for items with +life (mandatory) and + resistances to elements (fire cold lightning, this becomes more and more mandatory as you progress)

the filters will begin showing you better and better items, so you can start optimising based on what colours you need for your skills (3 and 4 linked items with the skills you need can fit into)

as for orbs, chaos, fusings and alchemys are generally valuable and shouldnt be spammed/spent without consideration. stuff like exalts, divines, annuls are very rare, and should never be spent without clear goals of use

the rest are fine to learn with, and feel free to ask us questions

J3qcnBP.png
    captaink wrote: »

First of all, go to https://www.filterblade.xyz/ and download the semi-strict loot filter. It will filter out tons of drops (so that you don't see them) that are worthless, while leaving all currency and and items you're interested in. It also scales with level, so as you progress it will eventually stop showing low level flasks, very poor item bases, etc.

For currency, do not use: Scouring Orb, Chaos Orb, Regal Orb, Divine Orb, Orb of Annulment, Exalted Orb, or Mirror of Kalandra. (lowest to highest value)
    I would limit use on Orb of Alteration, Chromatic Orb, Jeweler's Orb, Orb of Fusing, and Orb of Alchemy. Limit meaning only use when you think it will have a meaningful impact.
    Wisdom Scrolls, Portal Scrolls, Orb of Transmutation, Orb of Augmentation, and Chance Orbs can be freely used.

Any essences you find (mobs trapped in blue crystals) can be used to make a normal item into a rare with at least one guaranteed stat and are a great way to help bridge gaps in your gear.

You can sell certain items to vendors (vendor recipes) for special currency.
    3 linked (or more) with one of each socket color (RGB) gives a chromatic orb. Chromes will be important as you get into end game gearing.
    Items with six-sockets can start dropping at level 35 and vendor for 7 jewelers.

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    This question also prompted a long discussion, which turned into a conversation about how people acquire specific maps for Atlas completion. Our current thoughts are that we could make this easier, and so we are considering adding an occasional chance for map bosses to drop a map from an adjacent location. If we go ahead with this in 3.7.0, you'll see it in the Patch Notes.

For now there will be no changes to trade itself related to this.

Ahahahahaha, bosses dropping maps, that's a good one Chris, A+ joke

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    I just like how their discussion about how people are tired of the runaround whenever you try to buy a stackable consumable from another player eventually led to a discussion about map drops from bosses. Way to miss the fucking point, guys.

They should do a Merchant league where the league NPC is a capitalist looking to invest in Wraeclast's underserved economy, I bet it'd go over like fucking gangbusters

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    I just like how their discussion about how people are tired of the runaround whenever you try to buy a stackable consumable from another player eventually led to a discussion about map drops from bosses. Way to miss the fucking point, guys.

They should do a Merchant league where the league NPC is a capitalist looking to invest in Wraeclast's underserved economy, I bet it'd go over like fucking gangbusters

This would be a great way to bring back Cadiro.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    edited May 2019
    Let us make an NPC shopkeep GGG. Like, legit.

Trading is cool but I'd rather just toss shit in a tab and then collect the currency at the end of the day.

And everyone seems to have a worse experience than me in trading. I don't know what it is but I feel like I'm really p good at picking out people who will actually reply back 99% of the time.

People who put cheap things up for sale will not if they put it up 3-4 minutes ago. Likely they just tossed that shit in a stash tab and went to bed. Likewise if they did it 8-9 hours prior and are now online, good chance of a PM returning a positive hit.

jungleroomx on
  • Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    I didnt hate synthesis because it made me feel dumb. I hated it because it was obviously not fleshed out at release that made it the most likely the worst league mechanic in over a year. Even with fixes is still only meant for those who are the 1% of the population of which currency means little to nothing.

The only positive about the experience was the extra maps given but even then they made the experience futher F2P rngish with the collapsing nodes originally frequently causing lost nodes or paths. Bosses get modifiers making them undoable for a majority of players at higher levels. The rewards from which were not worth the trouble.

It was a league built for the 1% which disconnected a majority of the population from the league from the outset from confusing mechanics and low value itemization for 99% of drops.

It was horrible design.

They certainly messed up with fractured items, they could have just made it so only the T1 rolled items drop. Hell, they could have made them boss only drops, adjusted the rate/stats on them, and it would have fixed most of the issues with them. Even if you ignore fractured items though, everything else about the post patch memories are very rewarding. 90% of my exalts this league have come from selling items dropped in memories.

Also, once you learn how the decay works, you don't have to worry about RNG.

I mean fair enough. I got some decent drops out of placed memories as well it still was a pretty horrible mechanic until they changed it so you could have a few cleared memories still loaded allowing you to hit several nodes along the way on your paths. It became passable then.