As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Formula One & motorsport] Round 16, Russia: In Soviet Russia, V12 drives you!

• chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I actually watched a stream of some Japanese racing series on YouTube a few months ago, and the announcers were interacting with the stream chat. It was surprisingly fun!

steam_sig.png
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    F1 2019 will, as the teaser trailer suggested, include the F2 championship as well. Initially the game will include the 2018 F2 season so your driver can then graduate to F1 for the 2019 season, but 2019 F2 will be added at a later date.

• TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Anyone watching W Series from SBS On Demand yet? For me the countdown to the stream started ended and now it's saying to watch it two hours from now! What's going onnnn SBS...

Gonna watch the rest of the Spa 6hr at this point

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Anyone watching W Series from SBS On Demand yet? For me the countdown to the stream started ended and now it's saying to watch it two hours from now! What's going onnnn SBS...

I couldn't even find where in the app it is

Dhalphir wrote: »

I couldn't even find where in the app it is

I'm on their website and the video refuses to load. I've gone to other live streams on their servic and they're working fine, just this one! Bah, hopefully it'll be hosted there tomorrow and I can watch it then

steam_sig.png
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Also broken here.

edited May 2019
    W Series:
    Who would bet against Jamie Chadwick? Fastest in both practice sessions, pole in qualifying, and the race win. One mistake at the hairpin but swiftly made up for it handily. Stunning performance. And with a potential gearbox problem too!

Sorry you guys are having issues :sad:

Jazz on
    Apparently it was streaming on Twitter (@WSeriesRacing) and Facebook but it was geoblocked - and I haven't found anywhere yet that it actually worked! Hopefully they'll get issues like that sorted out. (That and the sound problems pre-race...)

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    For those playing F1 2018 on PC, https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/krisdixs-2019-season-mod.164310/

I am just doing Australia now, and it seems pretty good so far. Just drag and drop the contents from the mod into the game's install folder.

Edit: Fair warning, it will change the main menu background, but you can change that if you want.

Also, found this https://wseries.com/w-hub/where-to-watch/

Apparently the best half of the globe doesnt exist?

Veevee on
    Veevee wrote: »
    Also, found this https://wseries.com/w-hub/where-to-watch/

Apparently the best half of the globe doesnt exist?

Looks like you should be able to get the Twitter & Facebook livestreams, then, but they screwed that up this time to a lot of grumbles. I hope that's all it is and it's available next time.

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Oh frikken come on! I can watch the DTM on YouTube, why can't the W-Series find a way to make that happen? It's like they make it difficult on purpose.

Edit: oh hey, the Faceboook stream works! Guess I'll watch it.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
    Dhalphir wrote: »

Truly a gentleman and a scholar

steam_sig.png
  • evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Couple of laps into watching the race. Only complaint is the yellow/purple graphics are a bit distracting.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

evilbob wrote: »
    Couple of laps into watching the race. Only complaint is the yellow/purple graphics are a bit distracting.

I also think they have the track noise too low. I know Formula 3 cars are lower power but they are not this much quieter than F1.

Race was good. In future it would be nice to be more easily able to tell who is in the cars on screen. Maybe that'll get easier as I watch more. Safety car in a time limited race is sad times.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

edited May 2019
    W Series
    Only a few laps in and holy cow Garcia has some guts. The safety car was brought out because of lack of grip breaking into the turn 5(?) hairpin and on the very next time on green flags she goes for a late-braking overtake on the inside and pressures the car in front of her to overcook the corner! Wow!

That was a great drive from Koyama too, qualified 17th and finished 7th comfortably in the points. For cars that are equal she's gonna be one to watch. Solid drive from my countrywoman Cook, fighting hard all race for 10th

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
    a late breaking overtake on the inside on the wet patch no less

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I've not really watched the lower formulas, so I was pretty impressed at just how close these cars can follow, it's a huge difference from F1

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    I've not really watched the lower formulas, so I was pretty impressed at just how close these cars can follow, it's a huge difference from F1

when you don't let a team of engineers making 300k a year each micro-design every aspect of each car's aero, turns out dirty air not such a big deal

F1s biggest problem with overtaking is the tires. It'll never get fixed because the common thought is the current tire philosophy promotes overtaking (it doesn't).

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

edited May 2019
    Race was good. In future it would be nice to be more easily able to tell who is in the cars on screen. Maybe that'll get easier as I watch more. Safety car in a time limited race is sad times.

Watch the last F2 Sprint Race for an incredible example of this.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    F1s biggest problem with overtaking is the tires. It'll never get fixed because the common thought is the current tire philosophy promotes overtaking (it doesn't).

No, it's still the aero.

Strip all the aero off the cars and watch how much more interesting F1 becomes INSTANTLY.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I disagree entirely. Strip all the engineering and aero and there are a grip of other series I can watch. I don't need Formula 1 to be another spec series, I have plenty of those to watch. IndyCar, WEC, IMSA...there is plenty of Balance of Power enforced close racing out there if you want it. That's not what F1 has ever been, and not what it should ever be. F1 is about pushing engineering limits with eye watering budgets and bespoke racing cars. There is nothing new about that, just like there is nothing new about the current era of dominance we're in except the team doing the dominating.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Didn't say get rid of the engineering, though.
    Just the ridiculous aero. When cars are producing double their weight in downforce then of course overtaking is going to be completely fucked, no matter how you try to work around the problem.

Ground effect would be an easy way to reduce dirty air but maintain downforce.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Just the ridiculous aero. When cars are producing double their weight in downforce then of course overtaking is going to be completely fucked, no matter how you try to work around the problem.

The aero is a huge part of the engineering? Like, a massive part. If you take away their aero, they aren't really F1 cars anymore, as far as we've known them since the late 70's. You also neuter their cornering speed which is the opposite of what I want to see. When I watch an F1 car go around a track I want to be wowed. I want to wonder how it stuck through some of the corners. I want the change of direction to make my mouth open in disbelief.

Again, if I want to watch close racing where the cars are designed specifically to create that, I have many options. F1 and LMP1-H are pretty much the only place to see high HP, high down force, monsters chew up courses at blistering rates. The fact that F1 is an "engineers series" as much as a drivers one is a plus to me, not a negative.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    The fact that F1 is an "engineers series" as much as a drivers one is a plus to me, not a negative.

I like the idea of it being an engineer's series, but not at the expense of making it nearly impossible for cars to follow one another.

Formule E races are vastly more interesting for exactly this reason - they can pursue.

Ground effect cars were banned specifically because they increased cornering speeds too much. If you take away the aero on the top of the car and replace it with ground effects I wager you can maintain current downforce and limit dirty air problems.

https://www.planetf1.com/f1-races/spanish-grand-prix/should-the-spanish-grand-prix-stay-on-the-calendar/

With the Spanish GP this weekend, and the race's contract expiring this year, Planet F1 has a look at whether the race should stay.

It looks like the return of the Dutch GP at Zandvoort might be its replacement on the calendar.

edited May 2019
    Jazz wrote: »
    https://www.planetf1.com/f1-races/spanish-grand-prix/should-the-spanish-grand-prix-stay-on-the-calendar/

With the Spanish GP this weekend, and the race's contract expiring this year, Planet F1 has a look at whether the race should stay.

It looks like the return of the Dutch GP at Zandvoort might be its replacement on the calendar.

Zandvoort? For Formula 1 cars?? But the track will be too narrow, too short, and could only have one DRS zone, surely. The only place you could even HOPE to overtake with all possible advantage is turn 1. Don't get me wrong, Zandvoot is one of my favourite tracks to drive in Assetto Corsa, but with GT and sports cars. F1 cars are wayyy too fast and aero dependant to make a race there anything more than a Monaco-style procession.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2019
    Apparently Assen is still in consideration too. But Zandvoort appears to be in pole, as it were.

The last time F1 was there was 1985. The cars are rather different now...

As for Spain, well, Barcelona doesn't tend to produce great races, although it's a nice circuit to drive (in the games, at least) and it's a fine test track. But the Spanish GP is usually one of those "if I miss it, then oh well" races, or one I tend to to other stuff as well while it's on. It gets the crowds in, though - helped massively by Alonso, of course, but Sainz still has enough local support to be a draw. But for a Dutch GP, of course, there's that Verstappen chap...

Jazz on
    What F1 needs is a track with a sharp, slower turn followed by a long straight. Trying to think through the options and all the different tracks I've raced on in different games, and I think the best replacement would be a track similar to Road Atlanta. Anything like that in Europe?

• tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    What F1 needs is a track with a sharp, slower turn followed by a long straight. Trying to think through the options and all the different tracks I've raced on in different games, and I think the best replacement would be a track similar to Road Atlanta. Anything like that in Europe?

Can't tell if serious or not....

steam_sig.png

I usually call that Mexico GP post-track-butchering.

But we may lose even that.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    edited May 2019
    It's almost like the dogged pursuit of sheer lap-pace is outrunning track design ><

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2019
    GnomeTank wrote: »

The aero is a huge part of the engineering? Like, a massive part. If you take away their aero, they aren't really F1 cars anymore, as far as we've known them since the late 70's. You also neuter their cornering speed which is the opposite of what I want to see. When I watch an F1 car go around a track I want to be wowed. I want to wonder how it stuck through some of the corners. I want the change of direction to make my mouth open in disbelief.

Again, if I want to watch close racing where the cars are designed specifically to create that, I have many options. F1 and LMP1-H are pretty much the only place to see high HP, high down force, monsters chew up courses at blistering rates. The fact that F1 is an "engineers series" as much as a drivers one is a plus to me, not a negative.

If F1 cars have to have special "go faster" buttons (DRS) to make it possible to overtake then the series is dying, as far as I am concerned.

As for aero being a huge part of the engineering, yeah, it's literally all of the aerodynamics engineering. You can get rid of most of it (go back to the cigar-shaped cars of the 1960s, hell yeah!) and still keep the chassis, suspension, braking, engine, gearbox, differential, electronics and tyre engineering.

Fuck, even let them keep a little of the aero - make it so the cars are randomly wind-tunnel tested multiple times per season to ensure they do not make any more than 33% of their start line weight in downforce at any speed.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
    You do know that if you take off the aero it takes 3x as long to stop, theyre acceleration would drop as the aero pushing the rear end is what allows the tires to not spin under the massive torque, and they're turning speed would be halved at best?

You are basically asking for NASCAR

What would NASCAR look like with a massive ground effect fans on a GP track?

steam_sig.png
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    What would NASCAR look like with a massive ground effect fans on a GP track?

Australian Supercar with ground effect fans.
    Slightly weirder looking British Touring Car racing.

Probably pretty fun.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
    edited May 2019
    I think NASCAR road races are some of the most entertaining races you can watch. Usually competitive, they actually make passes (and know how to set up passes, something that most F1 drivers seem to not understand how to do), and will use the bumper to move a slower car out of the way.

Edit: Also, a new F1 mobile game just came out, F1 Manager. I downloaded it on my android phone and it seems like a somewhat decent head-to-head motorsport manager. Fair warning, it has crates and makes heavy use of them, and if you link your google account it will use your real name and google avatar as the display name for everyone else to see. As far as I can tell there is no way to change that other than not linking your google account. Right now I am feeling very conflicted between regretting linking the game with my google account because of the name/picture thing, and wanting to continue playing the game because it seems kinda fun.

Veevee on
This discussion has been closed.