As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Sysadmin] Routing to null

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    I'm really of two minds after yesterday (and a few other days in the last few years when this has happened to varying degree).

One on hand, it's technically [oof] not my problem.
    On the other, everyone else in the org thinks it might be my problem.

In the parlance of our grand information age, smh.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I'm really of two minds after yesterday (and a few other days in the last few years when this has happened to varying degree).

One on hand, it's technically [oof] not my problem.
    On the other, everyone else in the org thinks it might be my problem.

In the parlance of our grand information age, smh.

That's why I left at 5.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    ptbuflrsdn2i.png

I'm learning!

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    VM took a shit about a week ago and some machines are now being found to not be working correctly.

Of course that's Unix's fault.. . .

I also am calling everything like I see it. What are they going to do? Fire me?

Hahah

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Second interview went really well! They didn't mention wanting to schedule a third or fourth, though, is that weird?

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Well could go either way really. They could have come to a decision one way or the other and don't think further interviews are necessary, but typically at that point they immediately follow up with some kind of contact involving an offer or several days later saying they went with someone else, at least if they're decent about it. :-/ Here's hoping you get a response at least.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Well could go either way really. They could have come to a decision one way or the other and don't think further interviews are necessary, but typically at that point they immediately follow up with some kind of contact involving an offer or several days later saying they went with someone else, at least if they're decent about it. :-/ Here's hoping you get a response at least.

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/41087259/#Comment_41087259

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/41087259/#Comment_41087259

Oh sweet tactical mojo jesus....

• Options
    You ain't got shit until the 6th interview.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    For reals, though. Interviewing for tech jobs has become so fucking burdensome. We all owe each other beers and hugs after these fucking things. I can barely handle the passive job interviews I do, where I look at something seriously like once every 6 months. Between too many phone screens, bizarre lab work, and then usually having to fly out to San Francisco because OF COURSE your HQ is there, you fucks, it's exhausting.

If you NEED a job, go hard, but I think also budgeting and scheduling time for interviews is important because it gives you permission to have time off, too. One of the biggest struggles I've dealt with is not being able to enjoy my downtime because I feel like I could be doing self improvement and I kick myself for wanting to be a human. Try to schedule assigned time to work on the job hunt if you need that, A. so you do it when it's time to do it and B. so you can turn it off when it's NOT time to do it.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    So it begins (whether this is the rise or decline, I will not prognosticate)

qlb3zxy56g8k.png

The question is whether I bitch about it here or in [Programming].

Stupid Future....

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    So in not completely related news... I went to play a Steam game, and when I came back Firefox had updated and decided to disable all of my "unsigned" add-ons. Which means pretty much all my add-ons. There's no new signed version of any of them (Privacy Badger, noScript, Stylus, etc.) so basically my browsing experience went to shit in a second.

I guess I use Chrome now.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Drovek wrote: »
    So in not completely related news... I went to play a Steam game, and when I came back Firefox had updated and decided to disable all of my "unsigned" add-ons. Which means pretty much all my add-ons. There's no new signed version of any of them (Privacy Badger, noScript, Stylus, etc.) so basically my browsing experience went to shit in a second.

I guess I use Chrome now.

Just experienced this as well. Apparently they fucked up and let the signing certificate for the addons expire, invalidating them. Big time fuck up.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1548973

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    They never should have required signing them in the first place.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Saw similar recently when spotify let a certificate expire. That was less annoying though because I could just disable the repository for a while to stop the warnings popping up. The client never stopped working.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Part of the problem is that there are so many companies now that think they're hot shit and need a hiring process like Google.

I mean I am glad I got the job I did but it would have been a lot of effort to have put in had I not gotten it. At least it's sufficiently senior enough that I can kinda see it?

Previous to this one I had one that was three interviews and a lab. The third interview was almost two hours and was in a big board room. It's intimidating to be stared down like that.

Anyway I didn't hear anything back from them until I saw the job was reposted and this time for some stupid low salary range. They wanted a junior which is why I didn't get it.

Fuck doing a lab for a junior position and fuck stringing someone along if you have no intention of hiring them.

• Options
    Entaru wrote: »
    Part of the problem is that there are so many companies now that think they're hot shit and need a hiring process like Google.

I mean I am glad I got the job I did but it would have been a lot of effort to have put in had I not gotten it. At least it's sufficiently senior enough that I can kinda see it?

Previous to this one I had one that was three interviews and a lab. The third interview was almost two hours and was in a big board room. It's intimidating to be stared down like that.

Anyway I didn't hear anything back from them until I saw the job was reposted and this time for some stupid low salary range. They wanted a junior which is why I didn't get it.

Fuck doing a lab for a junior position and fuck stringing someone along if you have no intention of hiring them.

mx3k6flnvfbu.png

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I had to stop off at the office today to pick up some equipment for an SSD migration project. I scan in at the front door lock and go to disable the alarm. Only my code isn't working and the thing goes into "fuck you" mode at 150db. I texted the boss explaining what I was doing and he called off the dogs. Only than did I realize I was entering the wrong code. At least I don't get the cops called.

• Options
    Entaru wrote: »

I had one going on for one month, 4 interviews total. At inhuman hours in the morning because it was across the pond.

After everything seemed to have gone well, they asked the dreaded "salary expectations" question.

I answered based on average for the region and position (Glassdoor, etc), not even the higher end .

Was told a couple of days later that they wanted someone a bit more "senior."

Fuck them for that shit.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    On one hand, the typical hiring process - a single unstructured interview, or perhaps one unstructured phone interview with HR and one unstructured in-person interview with your eventual boss - is cancer. It's corrosive to organizational health and needs to die in a fucking fire.

(I've been reading about organizational psychology and it's notable how often this comes up.)

Anything better is going to be more burdensome. In some jobs, it might be a combination of a structured interview and a written test. Or it might be a mock project. Maybe it's contract-to-perm work.

On the other hand, a series of unstructured interviews is worse. It's taking a bad thing, and just lumping on more of it.

Also, fuck brain teasers and lateral thinking puzzles. If you ask me a question about two wolves and a sheep crossing a river in a boat that can only hold so many tennis balls to figure out which light switch turns on which bulb on the island, there's a nonzero chance I will just say "thank you" and walk the fuck out.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Feral wrote: »
    On one hand, the typical hiring process - a single unstructured interview, or perhaps one unstructured phone interview with HR and one unstructured in-person interview with your eventual boss - is cancer. It's corrosive to organizational health and needs to die in a fucking fire.

(I've been reading about organizational psychology and it's notable how often this comes up.)

What are you reading?

I'm currently reading NoEstimates by Vasco Duarte for another of my particular annoyances.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Fed Gov: I think it's related to our local union but internal spots have interviews in front of a panel. The questions are structured and you cannot interact with the panel. You just talk without input. And you have to tell them which question you are answering. It's.....kind of intimidating.

For external, it's a bit less structured. You talk informally with a supervisor and then they forward your info to HR. Usually for external hires, the bigger issue is whether you can hold a clearance (esp now with locally legalized weed).

• Options
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I had to stop off at the office today to pick up some equipment for an SSD migration project. I scan in at the front door lock and go to disable the alarm. Only my code isn't working and the thing goes into "fuck you" mode at 150db. I texted the boss explaining what I was doing and he called off the dogs. Only than did I realize I was entering the wrong code. At least I don't get the cops called.

Whenever I've mispunched an alarm code in the morning, I always wonder, just for a millisecond "am I being fired?" and then I try it again and it's fine and I feel stupid but at least no one is around to see it.

• Options
    That_Guy wrote: »

Whenever I've mispunched an alarm code in the morning, I always wonder, just for a millisecond "am I being fired?" and then I try it again and it's fine and I feel stupid but at least no one is around to see it.

That is a really expensive way to fire someone.

When the cops find out what the company did they would fine them a shit ton for wasting their time.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »

What are you reading?

I'm currently reading NoEstimates by Vasco Duarte for another of my particular annoyances.

I should read that.

The more tech-oriented stuff I read or re-read recently:

The Mythical Man Month
    Google's Site Reliability Engineering Handbook
    There's a DevOps book I left at work, I'll get the name & author tomorrow

I started Dying For a Paycheck but it was a lot about the problem (workplace stress) but not a lot of solutions

Other than that, mostly org psych textbooks and journal articles

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Anyone here fairly knowledgeable in AWS architecture and pricing? I'm trying to figure out why it's so much cheaper to go with a Dedicated Host for EC2 instances than it is to use a Dedicated Instance.

For reference:
    I have an app that needs to be installed onto 4 different instances (Production, Pre-Production, Testing, Development). The app isn't too memory/cpu intensive (java app, using tomcat). So an a1 instance should work for it. Pricing out 4 a1's, set for Dedicated Instance ends up being: $1622 a month.

Whereas a single a1 Dedicated Host is: $328. Am I missing something here? A single a1 Dedicated Host can hold about 6 a1.larges.

• Options
    With Dedicated Host you own the whole host. So no one else can spawn instances on it.

• Options
    You still have to pay for the instances to go on the host.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    urahonky wrote: »
    Anyone here fairly knowledgeable in AWS architecture and pricing? I'm trying to figure out why it's so much cheaper to go with a Dedicated Host for EC2 instances than it is to use a Dedicated Instance.

For reference:
    I have an app that needs to be installed onto 4 different instances (Production, Pre-Production, Testing, Development). The app isn't too memory/cpu intensive (java app, using tomcat). So an a1 instance should work for it. Pricing out 4 a1's, set for Dedicated Instance ends up being: $1622 a month.

Whereas a single a1 Dedicated Host is: $328. Am I missing something here? A single a1 Dedicated Host can hold about 6 a1.larges.

A dedicated instance includes dedicated host(s) underneath it that only your account can use, hence the additional flat $2/hr fee. The instance pricing also includes licensing costs for OS/apps just like on-demand pricing.

Dedicated hosts are most often going to be used if you are using your own existing licensing (moving on-prem to cloud for example) that has CPU/core restrictions. For example, Windows server licensing is tied to a single host or you need to make sure SQL is only using x number of cores. Another reason would be if you want to make sure certain instances are always running on the same host together, to minimize network latency for example.

Also, their a1 pricing is 10x cheaper than any other option they have, so it's an exception not the rule. An m5 host is $3650 per month for example.

Also, also, you can't mix instance sizes on a dedicated host.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    All good information, thanks guys. Looking at it, it does seem like it's a little cheaper than dedicated instances still.

• Options
    Ok, seriously, how many hours of interviews is this company going to ask for? I feel like if your interview process actually results in a full day's worth of labor we might need to setup a 1099 together so you can pay me for my time.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Honestly if I lose my job or quit I'll just spend the rest of my paycheck on lottery tickets. I have friends who just made it out of college and are going to have to work at Arby's for a while because The Algorithm has decided they're not worth having a human person's attention.

Things are getting a little too Shadowrun for my tastes.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    There was a Reddit thread recently about searching for an IT job, and there was discussion the person had about which job sites were useful and which weren't. It was in the /r/dataisbeautiful subreddit, so the noise was relatively low. Do you want me to try to dig that up, so you can forward it along as necessary?

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    There was a Reddit thread recently about searching for an IT job, and there was discussion the person had about which job sites were useful and which weren't. It was in the /r/dataisbeautiful subreddit, so the noise was relatively low. Do you want me to try to dig that up, so you can forward it along as necessary?

I would like to see this, please.

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Here you go. "The search for a software engineering role without a degree"

https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/comments/bl5gwz/

I'm guessing "l" means "lower case L" and not "upper case i" because fuck you Arial

• Options
    That's an awesome graph but I'm not sure the takeaway is "some sites are better than others" rather than "if you want to be a software developer, you absolutely need a degree."

• Options
    I interpreted it more as, "ignore these 2/3 job sites since they are largely spam anyway and not worth your time". In my defense, I first read the thread early in the morning.

Also I found value in reading that attending the open house helped put the author on a short list for interviews (duh, but it's still good reinforcement).

• Options
    Yeah, that was software developer not admin, no field experience, and basically just showed what people have mostly suffered through which is that you should find a human to bypass the website screens.

• Options
    It just takes a lot more work without a degree.

Eventually you get through the noise.

This discussion has been closed.