As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Daily Show], [Last Week Tonight], & [Comedy News In General]

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    I'm of the opinion that it should be mandatory to watch executions.

If you want, I can show hundreds of gruesome executions where the entire population of town showed up to celebrate the brutality.

Making people watch wont help.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

If you want, I can show hundreds of gruesome executions where the entire population of town showed up to celebrate the brutality.

Probably not but it'd be far less hypocritical.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    The problem is that lot of people would happily attend the executions of people who they think "deserve" it.

These people also don't think our justice system should be reformed in general.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I'm of the opinion that we should outlaw executions, but that if you are going to do it the governor of the state should have to kill the person themselves as they hold the final power over life and death in our stupid system. Russian style pistol to the back of the ear.

This is some terrifying Sin City shit.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

Also a lot of human history where executions were exciting and people made a day of it.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    I'm of the opinion that we should outlaw executions, but that if you are going to do it the governor of the state should have to kill the person themselves as they hold the final power over life and death in our stupid system. Russian style pistol to the back of the ear.

By not pardoning them when they can they are essentially committing them to death, I think the person with that power should be forced to pull the trigger.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    I think this cyberpunk dystopia can do without a running man competition. I can roll over and accept the bread and circuses method so long as they aren't blood circuses.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    The problem is that lot of people would happily attend the executions of people who they think "deserve" it.

I also don't give a shit what those people think.

And am probably naive but nevertheless optimistic that the majority of today's society would recoil at having their children exposed to state sanctioned murder.

• Options
    edited May 2019

And am probably naive but nevertheless optimistic that the majority of today's society would recoil at having their children exposed to state sanctioned murder.

Oh, are you proposing that literally everyone in the state is forced to watch the execution? That it isn't voluntary?

Why not propose an unfeasible but ultimately more socially productive thing instead, like just abolishing the death penalty entirely?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Oh, are you proposing that literally everyone in the state is forced to watch the execution? That it isn't voluntary?

Why not propose an unfeasible but ultimately more socially productive thing instead, like just abolishing the death penalty entirely?

It's not unfeasible to abolish the death penalty. Washington State has.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

It's not unfeasible to abolish the death penalty. Washington State has.

It's less unfeasible than mandatory state-wide viewing-parties for executions, sure, but it's unfeasible that SCOTUS is going to declare capital punishment unconstitutional and without that happening there's a lot of states that aren't going to give it up easily.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular

Emotional appeal

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I don't even know where I stand with the death penalty. There's some evil people in this world and we're better off without them. Fuck them pretty much. But then there's the majority of the cases and the fact it's used as a tactic to get people to plead guilty for a plea bargain because of the threat of the death penalty.

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    Setting aside questions of purpose or morality, I'm glad they brought up the guillotine during the show because it's what I'd starting thinking about shortly after the bit began.

I figure the guillotine is probably one of the best methods of execution ever invented. It's fast, lethal, and %100 effective.

But it looks too much like what it is - a device for killing people. It makes people uncomfortable.

And the kind of squirmy dishonesty surrounding the search for a more "humane" method of killing people that has led to all this fuck-uppery is disgusting. It is what it is.

I wouldn't count the guillotine as humane - (speculation is that) if the executed person doesn't immediately lose consciousness to system shock their head can maintain awareness until the brain runs out of oxygen. Which is a pretty fucked up way to die.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    Setting aside questions of purpose or morality, I'm glad they brought up the guillotine during the show because it's what I'd starting thinking about shortly after the bit began.

I figure the guillotine is probably one of the best methods of execution ever invented. It's fast, lethal, and %100 effective.

But it looks too much like what it is - a device for killing people. It makes people uncomfortable.

And the kind of squirmy dishonesty surrounding the search for a more "humane" method of killing people that has led to all this fuck-uppery is disgusting. It is what it is.

I wouldn't count the guillotine as humane - (speculation is that) if the executed person doesn't immediately lose consciousness to system shock their head can maintain awareness until the brain runs out of oxygen. Which is a pretty fucked up way to die.

That was a rumor propogated during the Reign of Terror.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Kadoken wrote: »

By not pardoning them when they can they are essentially committing them to death, I think the person with that power should be forced to pull the trigger.

You know they would just get off on that if they are the death penalty type.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

That was a rumor propogated during the Reign of Terror.

Hmmm....

In 1794, German surgeon Dr S. T. Sommering argued in the Parisian newspapers that 'consciousness of feeling may persist [in a severed head] even if blood circulation is terminated, partial or weak [...] the head's strongest sensation would be the after-pain felt in the neck.' French doctors argued that he was confusing nervous spasms with sensory perceptions and voluntary motion. Little research was conducted on the subject, however, until the turn of the twentieth century, when another French doctor, Beaurieux, was permitted to make an investigation of a severed head, of a criminal called Languille, immediately after guillotining: "Here is what I was able to note immediately after the decapitation: the eyelids and lips of the decapitated man worked in irregularly rhythmic contractions for about 4 or 6 seconds. I waited several seconds longer. The spasmodic movements ceased. The face relaxed, the lids half-closed in the eyeballs, leaving only the white of the conjunctiva visible, exactly as in the dying whom we have occasion to see every day [...] It was then that I called in a strong, sharp, voice: 'Languille!' I then saw the eyelids slowly lift up, without any spasmodic contraction -- I insist advisedly on this pecularity -- but with an even movement, quite distinct and normal, such as happens in everyday life, with people awakened or torn from their thoughts. Next, Languille's eyes very definitely fixed themselves on mine and the pupils focused themselves. I was not, then, dealing with a vague dull look, without any expression that can be observed any day in dying people to whom one speaks: I was dealing with undeniably living eyes which were looking at me." By 1956, further research had proved, in the words of governemntal advisers Drs Piedelievre and Fournier, that "death [by decapitation] is not instantaneous [...] every vital element survives [...it is] a savage vivisection, followed by a premature burial." The French government abolished execution by decapitation in 1977.

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    It's as if we want a method of execution that always succeeds properly, is painless, and doesn't look like we're killing someone, and we can barely hit 1 of the 3. Maybe there's a lesson here.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    It's as if we want a method of execution that always succeeds properly, is painless, and doesn't look like we're killing someone, and we can barely hit 1 of the 3. Maybe there's a lesson here.

Oh we can hit one and two very easily.

Number three is where wait what thread am I reading

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    The impression I got from the episode is that the most humane method of execution would involve properly administered general anesthesia. Right? And the condemned don't get that because doctors refuse to administer it. Which is understandable but boy also a real gray area. I know if I was on death row I'd rather a doctor break their principles than, you know, be tortured to death

wandering on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    If I apply to HBO to be a staff writer for John Oliver, can I use you guys as a reference?

Me, in 2014:
    Feral wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »
    Because once drug manufacturers started figuring out what they were being used for, there was a concerted effort to keep them out of states that use them for execution.

Drug companies generally don't want to be known for providing drugs used in executions, and they're generally not designed for that purpose.

Exactly this. Nobody wants to be known for selling drugs for executions.

I can expound a little though, because I find this whole situation darkly humorous.

Lethal injections in the US are done using a three drug protocol developed by forensic physician Jay Chapman in 1977 in response to the Gary Gilmore execution.

Keep in mind that at the time there was no known reliable drug cocktail for the euthanization of humans, and this isn't exactly something you can set up clinical trials for. Chapman used his experience examining poisoning deaths to come up with a cocktail. Chapman himself has since said that the cocktail is too variable and needs to be changed.

The primary anesthetic used in the Chapman protocol is sodium thiopental. It is no longer manufactured in the US. The last US manufacturer was the pharma company Hospira, who said this:
    Hospira manufactures this product because it improves or saves lives, and the company markets it solely for use as indicated on the product labeling. The drug is not indicated for capital punishment, and Hospira does not support its use in this procedure.

Sodium thiopental has a legitimate use as an inexpensive general anesthetic for surgery or trauma, and is therefore still manufactured in Europe. However, the EU bans the export of sodium thiopental to the US, specifically because they don't want us killing people with it:
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/01/21/drug-maker-discontinues-key-death-penalty-drug
    "We cannot take the risk that we will be held liable by the Italian authorities if the product is diverted for use in capital punishment," Hospira spokesman Dan Rosenberg said. "Exposing our employees or facilities to liability is not a risk we are prepared to take."

Some states have switched to different, unproven cocktails. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

In addition to the problem of which drugs?, there's a second problem of where do we get the drugs? Most of these drugs are either surgical anesthetics or controlled substances - which means it is not exactly trivial to obtain them. You can't just buy propofol at the neighborhood apothecary, let alone in the dosages necessary to kill a human being.

Legitimate drug suppliers (of the type that sell drugs to hospitals) are often uneasy, for obvious reasons, to sell execution drugs to correctional facilities. This has led the states buying those drugs to turn to less-stringently-licensed pharmacies. Of course, pharmacies don't really want to be associated with lethal injections, so they aren't really willing to just ship a bunch of surgical anesthetics to State Prison, 123 Capital Row, Prisontown, Missouri.

My favorite part about this whole shitshow?

When it came to light that the Missouri Department of Corrections was sending people across state lines to purchase the drugs with cash: http://themissouritimes.com/8173/doc-hearing-shows-legislative-action-executions-likely/
    Lombardi confirmed that Missouri purchases its execution drugs in cash through a Department official. The official takes $11,000 in cash to Oklahoma in person and then hand-delivers the new drug, pentobarbital, to the department. Luby contended that this effectively turned state employees into drug mules.

We live in a nation where you can be arrested and put into prison for buying marijuana with cash and driving it across state lines, while cops themselves buy pentobarbital with cash and drive it across state lines.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    The impression I got from the episode is that the most humane method of execution would involve properly administered general anesthesia. Right? And the condemned don't get that because doctors refuse to administer it. Which is understandable but boy also a real gray area. I know if I was on death row I'd rather a doctor break their principles than, you know, be tortured to death

The episode is a little bit contemptuous towards Jay Chapman, but honestly that is what motivated him IIRC. He figured the state was going to go forward with lethal injections no matter what, and he had the opportunity to make them less horrible. Granted, it didn't work, but I respect the utilitarian calculus he made.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    If I apply to HBO to be a staff writer for John Oliver, can I use you guys as a reference?

Me, in 2014:
    knitdan wrote: »
    Because once drug manufacturers started figuring out what they were being used for, there was a concerted effort to keep them out of states that use them for execution.

Drug companies generally don't want to be known for providing drugs used in executions, and they're generally not designed for that purpose.

Exactly this. Nobody wants to be known for selling drugs for executions.

I can expound a little though, because I find this whole situation darkly humorous.

Lethal injections in the US are done using a three drug protocol developed by forensic physician Jay Chapman in 1977 in response to the Gary Gilmore execution.

Keep in mind that at the time there was no known reliable drug cocktail for the euthanization of humans, and this isn't exactly something you can set up clinical trials for. Chapman used his experience examining poisoning deaths to come up with a cocktail. Chapman himself has since said that the cocktail is too variable and needs to be changed.

The primary anesthetic used in the Chapman protocol is sodium thiopental. It is no longer manufactured in the US. The last US manufacturer was the pharma company Hospira, who said this:
    Hospira manufactures this product because it improves or saves lives, and the company markets it solely for use as indicated on the product labeling. The drug is not indicated for capital punishment, and Hospira does not support its use in this procedure.

Sodium thiopental has a legitimate use as an inexpensive general anesthetic for surgery or trauma, and is therefore still manufactured in Europe. However, the EU bans the export of sodium thiopental to the US, specifically because they don't want us killing people with it:
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/01/21/drug-maker-discontinues-key-death-penalty-drug
    "We cannot take the risk that we will be held liable by the Italian authorities if the product is diverted for use in capital punishment," Hospira spokesman Dan Rosenberg said. "Exposing our employees or facilities to liability is not a risk we are prepared to take."

Some states have switched to different, unproven cocktails. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

In addition to the problem of which drugs?, there's a second problem of where do we get the drugs? Most of these drugs are either surgical anesthetics or controlled substances - which means it is not exactly trivial to obtain them. You can't just buy propofol at the neighborhood apothecary, let alone in the dosages necessary to kill a human being.

Legitimate drug suppliers (of the type that sell drugs to hospitals) are often uneasy, for obvious reasons, to sell execution drugs to correctional facilities. This has led the states buying those drugs to turn to less-stringently-licensed pharmacies. Of course, pharmacies don't really want to be associated with lethal injections, so they aren't really willing to just ship a bunch of surgical anesthetics to State Prison, 123 Capital Row, Prisontown, Missouri.

My favorite part about this whole shitshow?

When it came to light that the Missouri Department of Corrections was sending people across state lines to purchase the drugs with cash: http://themissouritimes.com/8173/doc-hearing-shows-legislative-action-executions-likely/
    Lombardi confirmed that Missouri purchases its execution drugs in cash through a Department official. The official takes $11,000 in cash to Oklahoma in person and then hand-delivers the new drug, pentobarbital, to the department. Luby contended that this effectively turned state employees into drug mules.

We live in a nation where you can be arrested and put into prison for buying marijuana with cash and driving it across state lines, while cops themselves buy pentobarbital with cash and drive it across state lines.

jfc there is no way that was in 2014

I... I read that like last spring.... right?

right?

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

Oliver very briefly touches on it (and by brief, I mean a sentence). Verbatim: "The latest idea is nitrogen gas, which seems like it has problems of its own." Honestly, it would've been nice if he'd mention in the very next sentence "For example..." and then move on to the "Best position to feel less guilty f***ing your mom" portion.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Yes, let's put condemned people in a chamber, and flood it with a gas that will kill them. Why hasn't anybody thought of that before?

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Yes, let's put condemned people in a chamber, and flood it with a gas that will kill them. Why hasn't anybody thought of that before?

While I get the point you're trying to make, it should be pointed out that the gas chamber was used by varing states in America for 75 years, the majority of that time period AFTER World War II.

Last execution by this method was just over 20 years ago, and it appears it wasn't suspended due to cultural concerns, but due to cruelty due to inefficiency (didn't kill quickly enough, reportedly up to 8-11 minutes).

• Options
    MorganV wrote: »

While I get the point you're trying to make, it should be pointed out that the gas chamber was used by varing states in America for 75 years, the majority of that time period AFTER World War II.

Last execution by this method was just over 20 years ago, and it appears it wasn't suspended due to cultural concerns, but due to cruelty due to inefficiency (didn't kill quickly enough, reportedly up to 8-11 minutes).

Also mentioned in the LWT video:

"What about cyanide (as an alternative to lethal injection)? We tried cyanide gas in 1992, and it was so horrifying the attorney general vomited and the prison warden claimed he'd resign if forced to conduct another one."

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Cyanide gas is not the same thing as inert gas. Inert gas will kill you very quickly without you even realising it. Death by inert gas is a fairly common accident that happens due to people not even realising that they are in danger.

• Options
    edited May 2019

Edit: Unnecessary backlash Of course I'd rather abolish the death penalty.

But my state did, and the people got a referendum in 2016 to repeal the abolition, and they repealed it. The people have spoken.

And when we had our first execution in 19 years, we had around a dozen protestors, and like 7 or 8 people actually watching the execution. Weird that the governor, who pushed so damn hard to get the death penalty back, wasn't in the room. Weird.

So, no, I'm not seriously proposing that people be forced to watch the execution, but I am angry enough to feel that if you want the death penalty that fucking badly, you should at least reap what you sow.

Thawmus on
  • Options
    edited May 2019

C'mon, you know that's not a serious suggestion. Of course I'd rather abolish the death penalty. Jesus.

But my state did, and the people got a referendum in 2016 to repeal the abolition, and they repealed it. The people have spoken.

And when we had our first execution in 19 years, we had around a dozen protestors, and like 7 or 8 people actually watching the execution. Weird that the governor, who pushed so damn hard to get the death penalty back, wasn't in the room. Weird.

So, no, I'm not seriously proposing that people be forced to watch the execution, but I am angry enough to feel that if you want the death penalty that fucking badly, you should at least reap what you sow.

Okay, I can understand where you're coming from on that. :+1:

DarkPrimus on
  • Options

C'mon, you know that's not a serious suggestion. Of course I'd rather abolish the death penalty. Jesus.

Okay, I can understand where you're coming from on that. :+1:

Well, and I should have maybe just provided that context from the beginning, instead of being an angry asshole, but I just don't want to talk about where I live. Sorry, man. :sad:

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I can understand execution as a method of risk mitigation in extreme cases, and in some circumstances death might be more humane than forcing someone to endure a particularly terrible prison. But we're so bad at it, I can't support it.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Also, 4% of those executed are innocent. That is too many innocents.

One is too many.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

The southron lords are too soft to follow the northern ways.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Cyanide gas is not the same thing as inert gas. Inert gas will kill you very quickly without you even realising it. Death by inert gas is a fairly common accident that happens due to people not even realising that they are in danger.

I was more responding to Expletive Deleted's comment that MorganV responded to.

For your inert gas comment, I actually quoted you and then posted LWT's sentence about the use of nitrogen gas...which is an inert gas.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    I don't even know where I stand with the death penalty. There's some evil people in this world and we're better off without them. Fuck them pretty much. But then there's the majority of the cases and the fact it's used as a tactic to get people to plead guilty for a plea bargain because of the threat of the death penalty.

I think this where you have to ask: How much better?

Then calculate the benefit gain between incarceration and execution, and ask yourself if it outweighs the -better of an innocent person being executed vs incarcerated.

I'm thinking the potential net benefit of execution probably isn't large enough to bother with the second comparison.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    I really appreciate that LWT picks up domains like wikileaksorwhatever.com/ on a regular basis.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

The southron lords are too soft to follow the northern ways.

Hey, we northerners don't execute anyone. We've even got rules about extraditing people to countries where they would be executed.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Also, 4% of those executed are innocent. That is too many innocents.

One is too many.

That's cases we know about, to be clear.