As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Overwatch] Workshop now included.

• MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Coinage wrote: »
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    I think forcing 2/2/2 in competitive would absolutely devastate competitive mode
    Counterpoint: I have literally never been happy that my team in comp was not 2/2/2

I have. Some combinations of heroes make main tanking almost useless unless your dps swap to the obvious counters or your team is super duper on board with the whole teamwork thing. If that happens I find that a second offtank or a particular kind of third dps (for me, usually Torb).

I'm not one of those MT players who tilts off role as soon as things go bad. If I do switch role it it's not even because I want to: it feels like a failure that I can't win the game on my main role, and often because I'm just not good enough. But if it's free SR to become the third dps for a while I'll do it. And I don't really want to play an OW where I can't do that.

Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    I think forcing 2/2/2 in competitive would absolutely devastate competitive mode
    Counterpoint: I have literally never been happy that my team in comp was not 2/2/2

I think 2/2/2 is a generally a good composition and most teams of randos in competitive should probably stick to that instead of trying to copy OWL people

but I also think forcing it would be bad thats all

Unless they come up with some kind of miracle implementation that makes it fun I guess

2x39jD4.jpg
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    idea for a new tank. the tank generates a shield on players within a 10 foot radius. the hero has a button that can recharge the shield on a cooldown (12 seconds?) but it's 100% passive in that, you just need to stay near the tank for it to pop on you. The tank has a rocket launcher or something, i don't know, and probably no fancy mobility. I like passive boosts!

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Is it possible they may be trying to match teams based on how many people locked a role? Ex: 5 DPS/1 Support vs 5 DPS/1 Support instead of 0/5/1 vs 2/2/2?

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Give players a rank for each queue they select and reduce the rate of decay for them.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Cantido wrote: »
    Give players a rank for each queue they select and reduce the rate of decay for them.

There's already a problem of season length not giving enough time for the law of averages to get you to your true SR. Splitting that into 3 separate rankings would make it so much worse.

The simplest solution is to just separate solo vs team ladder, or ban teams from placement matches so everyone is placed closer to their true SR instead of being carried or smurfing by queuing with their idiot kid brother.

MrBody on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    i have had huge success with 4dps mercy Hammond \ Mei or torb + solo tank orisa on some maps / rein zarya hog 1 eps 2 supports

have won koth maps repeatedly with Mei instead of any tank at all

people worry way too much about the comp rather than the capabilities of the characters and forced 2/2/2 reflects an inaccurate picture both of what is possible in overwatch and also what can be fun

3dps symm orisa mercy tp point on lunar colony and instantly win? sure

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »

There's already a problem of season length not giving enough time for the law of averages to get you to your true SR.
    This isn't a problem because the seasons and "placements" are just to try to get you to log in and play some games. They don't actually change anything.

edited May 2019
    i have had huge success with 4dps mercy Hammond \ Mei or torb + solo tank orisa on some maps / rein zarya hog 1 eps 2 supports

people worry way too much about the comp rather than the capabilities of the characters and forced 2/2/2 reflects an inaccurate picture both of what is possible in overwatch and also what can be fun

Absolutely. So many players in Plat will religiously hold onto 2/2/2 even when it's getting them ripped apart.

Like I said, I pick Torb a lot. The reason is generally that the enemy team is 4+ dps and no one on my team seems to have realised that's a lot of small hitbox squishies with limited healing and very little barrier coverage. That is freelo for Swedish turret man and I don't care if it breaks the comp. The same goes for Roadie. Maybe I'm putting our team in a 2 offtank situation, but when their only tank is a DVa and the rest are squishies, it's free hooks for days. And since my Reinhardt shield can't exactly protect you from a soldier in front, a genji behind, a pharah above and a Reaper in the shadows, I'm going to pick a hero that does something in that situation.

Also, since I love Hammond and Orisa, seeing 3 or 4 dps is basically license to have fun.

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    Musicool wrote: »

Absolutely. So many players in Plat will religiously hold onto 2/2/2 even when it's getting them ripped apart.

Like I said, I pick Torb a lot. The reason is generally that the enemy team is 4+ dps and no one on my team seems to have realised that's a lot of small hitbox squishies with limited healing and very little barrier coverage. That is freelo for Swedish turret man and I don't care if it breaks the comp. The same goes for Roadie. Maybe I'm putting our team in a 2 offtank situation, but when their only tank is a DVa and the rest are squishies, it's free hooks for days. And since my Reinhardt shield can't exactly protect you from a soldier in front, a genji behind, a pharah above and a Reaper in the shadows, I'm going to pick a hero that does something in that situation.

Also, since I love Hammond and Orisa, seeing 3 or 4 dps is basically license to have fun.

It doesn't hurt that Torb A) does a ton of damage with his gun and B) is really accurate once you get used to his drop. I'm only a lowly bronzie, but I play with a lot higher SR people in match play. I spend the whole time as Torb harassing the backline, trying to pop Hanzo/Widows when there isn't a huge shield in the way.

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    also take any team comp and replace a tank or dps with mei = satan levels at maximum

obF2Wuw.png
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    also take any team comp and replace a tank or dps with mei = satan levels at maximum

Why do they keep buffing her?

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Yeah people freaking out whenever you break 2/2/2 usually don't understand the basics very well.

Reminds me of when I played League of Legends, the people who would freak out over META COMP infractions, but didn't even grasp basic shit like warding the river after being ganked from there 3 times.

It's like overweight slobs thinking that it's the shoes you wear that will win a race.

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    SirToasty wrote: »

I asked them to.

steam_sig.png
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular

The thing about perception of game balance is that Blizzard owns the actual servers. They potentially have a log of every single game of Overwatch that's ever been played, with the end result at a minimum and at maximum each individual gunshot recorded. They have a more comprehensive view of the game than anyone, which means that no matter what "everyone knows", they can still say with confidence that e.g. a team with a Mei on it loses to one without a Mei on it at a statistically significantly higher rate.

I'm reminded of the patch notes the one time where they said "we don't like how much damage Roadhog does to shields" and everyone went "who the fuck thought Roadhogwas doing too much damage to shields?!" They acted on a stat that they could see rather than community opinion.

That's not to say that community opinion is worthless; it's valuable for establishing whether something feels good to play as or against. But if they keep buffing a character that """everyone""" hates, dollars to donuts it's because the stats show they underperform.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    McMoogle wrote: »

I asked them to.

All games with character selection have a mandatory Waifu Tier, that sits above God Tier.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    mei is a character where the more game sense you have the more fucked up she is - her wall is close to the strongest non ultimate ability in the game

she also has 250hp, a self heal and full aggro dump, and is reaper levels of fucked up 1v1 if ur close

she also has the ability to counter bunker, shut down combos with wall, stop pushes with her ult, massive area denial, and actually solid ranged dps if you can land icicles. shes sleeper top tier and works in almost any comp

obF2Wuw.png
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Speaking of Mei, I'd like better establishment of when you throw ice wall up if it will actually block off the enemy or just lift them up, sometimes it feels like 51% body on ice -> go up and then sometimes it feels like 25% -> go up. And this carries over to stupid immortality field too, what is the rule.

• ChanceChance Registered User regular
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Kupi wrote: »

The thing about perception of game balance is that Blizzard owns the actual servers. They potentially have a log of every single game of Overwatch that's ever been played, with the end result at a minimum and at maximum each individual gunshot recorded. They have a more comprehensive view of the game than anyone, which means that no matter what "everyone knows", they can still say with confidence that e.g. a team with a Mei on it loses to one without a Mei on it at a statistically significantly higher rate.

I'm reminded of the patch notes the one time where they said "we don't like how much damage Roadhog does to shields" and everyone went "who the fuck thought Roadhogwas doing too much damage to shields?!" They acted on a stat that they could see rather than community opinion.

That's not to say that community opinion is worthless; it's valuable for establishing whether something feels good to play as or against. But if they keep buffing a character that """everyone""" hates, dollars to donuts it's because the stats show they underperform.

I know, but I hate it and I want to vent.

Please note, this is also reflective of how my teams of random tend to handle Mei which is ignoring her as soon as she goes into ice block.

SirToasty on
  • baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular

They want Mei to be happy. What kind of monster would not want Mei to be happy?

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular

They want Mei to be happy. What kind of monster would not want Mei to be happy?

me

Koreg wrote: »
    Musicool wrote: »

It doesn't hurt that Torb A) does a ton of damage with his gun and B) is really accurate once you get used to his drop. I'm only a lowly bronzie, but I play with a lot higher SR people in match play. I spend the whole time as Torb harassing the backline, trying to pop Hanzo/Widows when there isn't a huge shield in the way.

Torb can effectively challenge snipers, sure, but I feel like he's the best tankbuster this side of Reaper.

• sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    mei is a character where the more game sense you have the more fucked up she is - her wall is close to the strongest non ultimate ability in the game

she also has 250hp, a self heal and full aggro dump, and is reaper levels of fucked up 1v1 if ur close

she also has the ability to counter bunker, shut down combos with wall, stop pushes with her ult, massive area denial, and actually solid ranged dps if you can land icicles. shes sleeper top tier and works in almost any comp

She scales pretty hard with skill tho. I’ve watched too many teammates never right click but stay primary fire on frozen targets, spray at targets out of range, save enemies from ults due to terrible walls, etc etc.

She also tricks players into thinking they can position too aggressively, particularly at the start of games, due to ice block, resulting in an easy pick and team fight win for the other team.

Most of the time, my team loses due to one or more players continually playing like idiots. Mei is a prime offender.

• Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular
    Mei really needs a rework, she's probably the character in the worst state in the game currently. Yes, wall is extremely strong and if you get value out of it good odds you win that fight, but if wall fails, then it's 6v5.5 as Mei is otherwise an inferior character to those other DPS she competes with. McCree is vastly superior in the short-mid range, Hanzo in the mid-long range, and Junkrat is way better area denial as he is not reliant on a singular cooldown. The thing is Mei does all of these things decently enough, like she's not a throw pick, but because other DPS have continued to get buffs while Mei's buffs have been... let's say extremely underwhelming, they now also do all of these things decently enough plus excel at one area. McCree for example may have fall-off damage, but that's not super relevant most of the time and is more than made up for by his accuracy and rate of fire. I won't go into a long spiel about how all the characters stack up in various ways, it just boils down to they can do anything she can do, usually as good or better, plus some things she can't. Like just poke the fuck out of shield and tanks. Mei's overall DPS is terrible, while those three characters shit out damage like fucking crazy.

Even shit people will say is really good has a ton of jank and problems with it people don't realize. Ice Block is a really bad ability. First it takes you out of the fight completely. 5 seconds of invuln is not actually a benefit, it hurts you more than it helps. 5 Seconds, you are out of the fight, and give the enemy the advantage. You can't move, so if you iceblocked in a bad spot, you remain there and simply die later. Okay for a stall, but can just as easily stagger you. It is not actually an "escape" ability that Tracer, Reaper or Moira have and shouldn't be treated as such. It's main benefit is the self heal, but that's really only good for charging your own ult, as again it doesn't matter if you heal or survive if your team died anyway while you were gone. It also feels buggy and weird, you frequently die as the animation/sound effect begins which gives the impression it's not instant. This may be some issue with the effects and normal favor the shooter latency stuff, but I've never seen anything like that happen with Fade/Blink/Wraith. Also for some inexplicable reason Moira can't heal Mei in iceblock. Only healer that can't. Why? Eh.

The frustrating thing is I generally like Mei's kit and don't want to see a rework, but because she absolutely dunks on poorly coordinated teams with bad awareness, simple buffs will only make her more of an unstoppable terror in low ranks.

Even more frustrating though is the devs have already stated there are no plans for future reworks.

I had some ideas that I was tempted to try out in the workshop, but didn't want to take so much time just trying to figure out how the set some of this shit up.

Rough ideas that are not super balanced but this was the thinking about:

Allow Iceblock to carry Mei's momentum. Meaning it slides based off her previous speed/direction slowing down as it goes, but otherwise still is unaffected by any other effects as normal.

Let Mei Ice skate Ice-man. The ice skate idea that gets floated around is flawed and inelegant, instead have an active ability that would function similar to D.Va boost that has Mei create an ice-plateform she skates across for increased speed that can go vertically. I thought it could be cool if that platform lasted and was usable to other players, but that creates a whole bunch of issues that would just end up really limiting the ability. Mei desperately needs some mobility, and while I thought about keeping her current abilities and just adding this, there is no real way to do that due to button limitations and the Blizz's design decisions about that. Like if this were "shift" and iceblock was moved to "r" (more on that in a second), that would work, but it goes against the design of every other hero, so not going to happen. Also, just may be OP to have that extra ability, so probably just boot Iceblock entirely, and make this iceman ability a little beefer, for instance the platform she's creating isn't flat but more of a half-circle that blocks a fair amount of her lower hitbox as she's moving. Another idea with this was to have this platform act as a new-form of wall as it creates pillars underneath it, but that would just be a severe nerf to wall that is already pretty vital to her usefulness to a team.

The nerf idea I had which the more i think of simply won't work, but what it was was to remove her ammo and replace it with a resource that depletes using any of her abilities. Iceblock being moved to "r" here would act as a way to help refill the meter. This additional resource management might make her a little more difficult to play, but really it's just going to end up as an annoyance to play around that won't really change her combat effectiveness in any meaningful way. There really is no way around it, freeze has to be removed.

Remove freeze, replace with a hack-like ability. So instead of cold slowing and then freezing enemies, they will instead have their cooldowns increased, until they get entirely locked out like hack. This new effect is now also applied from her right-click as well. Basically, any cold damage adds freezing debuff that applies a .2 or .5 second (or whatever) to abilities that have cooldowns (meaning if they are they are currently on cooldown, they get additional time, if they are not, they go on cooldown for whatever time is added). The reason for including the rightlick with this as, without the freeze combo Mei's left click is weak in a 1v1 yet still required to lock out cooldowns to have a chance of winning, even though without the freeze you're already in bad footing, so with right-click still getting the new freeze benefit it's viable to ignore left-click entirely if you land some shots, but at the same time it won't be enough to get the full-hack. By "full-hack" I mean, if the freeze effect just adds time to cooldowns it doesn't affect non-cooldown abilities, like Rein's shield or soldier's sprint. Enough ticks though, and it will lock out those abilities so Mei still has the same viability she had to fuck over tanks and such.
    Mei's ult keeps the normal freeze effect it has now, but it also gains the hack effect. This way 90% of the cast can't just lol-nope out of it, and need to predict and use cooldowns before it lands to avoid it. Adjust ult charge time as needed, or not, as if iceblock is removed, ult charge time increases without self heal.

There was also the old idea of giving her more hp via shields or armor (or both), to make her more of a Zarya-like off-tank. Which could still be included with some of these changes. She still has really low damage, but much like D.Va never needing to reload, I kind of consider Mei's gun to be something that shouldn't change much, which means she'll always have shitty DPS.

Perhaps the hack thing is also too strong, but it at least relies on Mei actually landing hits on moving targets that can defend themselves. Still, removing escape cooldowns other characters rely on would be pretty devastating to those characters. Perhaps the ticks from the left-click are not applied instantly so there is still time to escape? I dunno. The problem with current Mei and her gun boils down to "Time to Kill". Mei's Time to Kill is essentially locked at her freeze time + rate of fire. It's a combo so simple any rank can do it, and it can't really be done meaningfully faster. However, most every other character's time to kill is more tied to accuracy. If you miss, if you land head shots, greatly affects time to kill. In gold and below Mei's time to kill is faster than everyone else's, but at higher elo? It's slower. Mei being the queen of the 1v1 is from a bygone era. She only wins if she gets the drop on someone. Something that's true for pretty much every other character too honestly, the only difference is how much you were able to fight back.

• soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Last night I had a good game where I was on a tear with Hanzo and we were generally clowning on the opposition. I felt kind of bad because it seemed so one-sided. Not usually the case in my games, but it just happened. MH game so sometimes the rng is brutal. Anyway, this Genji is trying to solo on to the point, unaware that widow has activated her ult. I'm the sole guy still on the point and I see him coming, so he come running up the stairs and I shoot him in the head. He immediately leaves the match. I don't know why it was funny to me but I got a good laugh out of it. Maybe players other than sombra should get a "detected!" warning when widow's vision is up.

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Why are the All Star skins from last year not available? Does Blizzard hate money?

Limited time only makes 'em special!

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    When can you get the new ones? And is it just a 'buy it on the web store' thing, or do I need to watch twitch streams, or what?

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    When can you get the new ones? And is it just a 'buy it on the web store' thing, or do I need to watch twitch streams, or what?

I think it's now? If not now, then sometime this week for sure. And you need overwatch league tokens to get them, which you can get by watching OWL games or by buying the currency.

• PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    i like the new map. i picked up both atlantic and pacific skins.

The game should ban people with accuracy below 20% (in team fights) from playing Ana or McCree in comp.

Every single game tonight, win or lose, has been decided by one or more chucklefucks on either team straight throwing.

Is blizz ever going to meaningful clean up this kind of shit in comp or am I basically going to uninstall and just watch OWL? As I've been saying basically since beta, there's a fun game in here, but I can only access it like 2% of the time.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

I think it's now? If not now, then sometime this week for sure. And you need overwatch league tokens to get them, which you can get by watching OWL games or by buying the currency.

They definitely came available yesterday (May 7th). I was eyeballing them and thinking that I'm going to have to pick up Mercy's as her outfit gives me vibes of Princess Luna.

That being said, if you don't already have the 200 league tokens, you either have to buy them ($10) or wait for the streams to start (May 9th, it looks like).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I'll probably pass since I don't have the tokens, but it's nice to know in time to make the choice. A lot of these kinds of promotional unlocks slip right by me with most games.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    edited May 2019
    Pailryder wrote: »
    idea for a new tank. the tank generates a shield on players within a 10 foot radius. the hero has a button that can recharge the shield on a cooldown (12 seconds?) but it's 100% passive in that, you just need to stay near the tank for it to pop on you. The tank has a rocket launcher or something, i don't know, and probably no fancy mobility. I like passive boosts!

I like the idea, but I decided to flip it. :p

See I think part of what made Goats is that too many tanks and healers do their best work up close. Close to each other and close to the enemy. So let's make a tank that wants to be far away from both their friends and enemies!

The shield applies to any friendly in LoS but it has greater strength the further away you are from this tank when they pop it, with a minimum and maximum value. Give the tank a sniper rifle or a rocket launcher. Or a mortar?! Their mobility should get them to high ground because LoS and long range are key to the hero, but it shouldn't be an 'escape', in the same way that Widow's grapple being reduced to 8 seconds was bullshit for chasing her down. Oooo! And reward good LoS placement by giving the tank an adaptive barrier style extra hp based on the number of heroes in their shield boost. But just like the Hammond, make sure there's a downtime. Juuuuust long enough that, in this case, there's sometimes a choice between shielding your team and saving shield for an incoming dive on your position.

So maybe just a legit wall-climb. You remember that old spider-tank thing from the early OW art? Yeah. Make it that. It climbs walls, it's a sniper tank to entice some sniper players off Widow/Hanzo/Ashe sometimes, and it doesn't work with Goats or bunker comp: in fact it probably works best with 3+ dps lineups, mayyyyybe double sniper, and maybe dive?

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
    What kind of weapon would this theoretical sniper-tank sport? 'Cause it's fine for Widow, Hanzo and Ashe to dump huge damage at big ranges because they're just widdow biddie squishy 200HP DPSes. Give a weapon like that to a 400+ HP Tank who can climb walls and every tank not named Roadhog should be legitimately calling foul, while Hog himself will just be jelly of the vertical mobility.

• YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    You would have to make their ranged damage a cooldown based ability and not an infinite use weapon.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
    edited May 2019
    Or you could make it a low fire rate sniper rifle with no headshot bonus for instance. Much more predictable damage. Or you go the complete other way and make it Winston levels of dps unless you hit headshots. Or you make it a projectile - fast moving but still projectile. Or you go with the rocket launcher idea. Or you make it like Mei's gun where it has an unavoidable charge time. Or make it a tracking-based sniper rifle: it fires a laser-like thing for a brief period and you only get a respectable dps if you hold the laser on the target for the whole duration of that one 'shot'. (Which incidentally is another good way to make it more anti-Goats than anti-squishy.) And perhaps you make its damage percentage based too, so it does more damage to tanks than to squishies. Oooo! Or give it an overheat mechanics instead of a reload! That's a great way to insert tactical choice and control its dps!

There are solutions. I believe!

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
    orisa is not that far off from being a sniper tank in the sense that she has no falloff and is reasonably accurate, just gotta be shooting stationary targets or leading super well

obF2Wuw.png
This discussion has been closed.