As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

They’re pictures that move, so we call them [movies]

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Supposedly the leaked ending is really bad

if what I read is true, it is very very bad. I read it in a list of things that were posted before the season, and the early stuff was correct. i think if the resolution is true, there will be even more backlash.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    Gustav wrote: »
    I will never ever bet against James Cameron making bank at the box office.

Ah, but Avatar had no lasting influence on movies at all in any way. You can tell because the people who've been unthinkingly choking down a 2 hour+, 80% CGI, $500 million dollar marketing budget Marvel film every six months or so for nearly a decade keep telling you that.

this is very condescending

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    They forgot to include the sequel to Alita on that schedule.

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I like the joke in that clip, I'll say that much

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular

Ah, but Avatar had no lasting influence on movies at all in any way. You can tell because the people who've been unthinkingly choking down a 2 hour+, 80% CGI, $500 million dollar marketing budget Marvel film every six months or so for nearly a decade keep telling you that.

Also, not really accurate

CGI heavy, heavily marketed blockbusters were around before Avatar

CYpGAPn.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »

But they weren't in 3d for an extra 4 bucks a ticket.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

3D was already coming back - Superman Returns and Harry Potter 6 both had 3D releases that were partial conversions, a bunch of animated stuff was coming out that had been filmed in 3D (including such things as Coraline, Up, and Beowulf), and even the specific 3D filming method that was used for Avatar had already been used in the fourth Final Destination movie (as well as a couple of concert films).

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

My local theater hasn't had a 3D film screened in like...two years? I think that's when Despicable Me 3 came out

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    If Avatars lasting legacy is 3d then its responsible for me having pay extra for a worse experience because it was the only showing.

Quire.jpg
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    We all know Avatar's lasting legacy is Papyrus.

https://youtu.be/jVhlJNJopOQ

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    IMAX 3D is my preferred method of seeing a film, so thanks, Avatar!

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    We all know Avatar's lasting legacy is Papyrus.

https://youtu.be/jVhlJNJopOQ

PAPYRUS!

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Mr. G wrote: »
    It feels like esteem is only going to grow for Alita

I haven't seen it myself but it seems like the people that liked it REALLY like it, it has pretty good word of mouth

Oh, it's going to get that Speed Racer "nobody appreciated this secret masterpiece" bump, for sure

The thing is it was really shit

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    3D sucks. Beyond it making the films darker and costing more, it frequently flat out fails to work right for me; it gets a weird ghosting effect that apparently only I see.

Its already a pain to plan around the meager showings at my local cinema; when I have to ignore the most convient showings because they're in 3D, it makes the whole effort even more annoying.

If 3D went away I would genuinely be ecstatic.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I honestly think that Papyrus skit is one of my favorite SNL bits.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    The thing is it was really shit

Alita? Nah it was surprisingly decent I thought. Not fantastic or anything but I genuinely enjoyed watching it.

Solar on
    actually it was really shit

actually it was really shit

Nuh uh

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    now kiss

I feel like you're being very immature here I made an ironclad case

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I still cannot get over the giant googly eyeballs

BahamutZERO.gif
    I feel like you're being very immature here I made an ironclad case

Yeah it was convincingly wrong lol got em

I like Alita a lot, but a not small portion of that was due to me having no experience with the series at all until that point, so everything was brand new and I had zero idea where the story was going, so it was great to be immersed in a world I knew nothing about.

I still giggle about how the secret weapon of Mars was apparently ninja anime ladies.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I like Alita a lot, but a not small portion of that was due to me having no experience with the series at all until that point, so everything was brand new and I had zero idea where the story was going, so it was great to be immersed in a world I knew nothing about.

I still giggle about how the secret weapon of Mars was apparently ninja anime ladies.

is it

i mean

is that not accurate?

3clipse wrote: »

is it

i mean

is that not accurate?

I've never met a martian so I cannot confirm or deny.

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    has anyone watched the hateful 8-extended-but-now-it's-a-4-part-miniseries version that's on netflix?

i never bothered with the original (partially for its length) but treating MORE of the same thing as a series with stopping points has almost enticed me to go ahead and check it out, because that makes some marginal amount of sense

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I've been slightly curious? But I also don't know that I ever really want to revisit Hateful 8

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    yeah I dunno

that movie needed something but "more, generally" wasn't it, even if there are breaks

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Way back in March 2017 I posted in one of these threads that they were finally going to make a Yasuke film
    Lionsgate has commenced Highlander creator Gregory Widen to script Black Samurai, an action drama grounded in the historical tale of Yasuke, reputed to be the first black samurai to serve a warlord in Japan. Mike De Luca and Stephen L’Heureux are producing, and the film is a co-production between Solipsist Films and De Luca Productions.

Long story short, it's finally moving forward! Narcos' Doug Miro is going to be writing the script now instead of Widen, and Chadwick Boseman is going to be playing Yasuke
    “The legend of Yasuke is one of history’s best kept secrets, the only person of non-Asian origin to become a Samurai,” Boseman said. “That’s not just an action movie, that’s a cultural event, an exchange, and I am excited to be part of it.”

Sweeney Tom on
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    It's kinda bizarre to me that by the time Avatar 2 comes out it'll be the underdog.

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    It's kinda bizarre to me that by the time Avatar 2 comes out it'll be the underdog.

We are all the underdog against the heat death of the universe

2x39jD4.jpg
  • FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Alita was pretty good for a movie missing a whole act

FAQ on
  • FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    Avatar will make more money than god

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    FAQ wrote: »

is god rich
    seems like conceptually god would have transcended any kind of monetary metrics
    maybe he collects pogs. God: Rich in pogs.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

is god rich

All pogs go to heaven, after all.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular

is god rich

Remember Christ? He's back now, in pog form.

Avatar 2 will, at minimum, make as much money as a mid-range MCU flick. It'll likely clear a billion dollars no problem.

It just won't set any records that take a decade to be beaten, like the first one did.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

is god rich

that whole second coming really got overhyped.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

is god rich

that whole second coming really got overhyped.

Thou shalt NOT slam thy lord

This discussion has been closed.