As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hollow Knight] Sequel: Now has a store page; still no release date

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Could have done without the spoilers but thanks

Assuming you've stayed spoiler-free entirely, less a spoiler and more a further hint towards the real ending. Apologies if you feel otherwise!

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Honestly I'm not that bothered. Also there must have been some miscommunication because I went to the black egg and got the bad ending! Unless something happens after the credits.

Edit: nope. So I assume I have to take the kingsoul somewhere? Birthplace?

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Honestly I'm not that bothered. Also there must have been some miscommunication because I went to the black egg and got the bad ending! Unless something happens after the credits.
    If you have the completed Abyss Charm, Hornet will assist you midway through the fight in the Black Egg. When she leaves you an very clear opening, that gives you enough time to see what's been living inside your big brother's mind...

• Options
    Yeah I don't have that. I have the kingsoul charm.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah I don't have that. I have the kingsoul charm.
    If Hornet was at the Black Egg when you got there, and showed up to pin down the original Hollow Knight in the middle of your fight with him, use the dream nail on the original Hollow Knight

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular

Edit: nope. So I assume I have to take the kingsoul somewhere? Birthplace?

Do you want a hint?

• Options
    I googled it. Turns out I literally found where I needed to go but had to fucking dream nail it. YOU'LL BE THE END OF ME DREAM NAIL.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Like I get not wanting to 100% everything, but leaving the dream nail stuff on the table feels like leaving magic on the table and then asking why Final Fantasy doesn't make any sense. It's a crucial part of the lore and experience! The game is basically begging you at every turn to dig in deeper and use it!

• Options
    edited March 2019
    If you say so. To me it was a bonus thing that I used to hit trees and pick up orbs and fight some bonus bosses

Edit: well, just went to the black egg and
    hornets there now. I guess I'm good to go?

And in regards to dlc, I bought the switch version so I should have it right? Is the dlc hidden or something?

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Well I took a break and will be going for the true ending/optional stuff/dlc tomorrow and this weekend.

I feel like I kind of played the later chunk of the game in the wrong mindset. I stopped playing for like 3 weeks due to heavy dmc5 addiction, and came back wanting to crank out the true ending before starting sekiro. Feel like it made me a bit impatient.

Also two giant middle fingers to the white palace. Fuck you palace you didn't beat me.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    The DLC is indeed hidden behind breakable walls and in ways that few sane individuals would discover on their own. This is true both for the Grimm Troupe and the Godmaster content.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2019
    mrpaku wrote: »
    On that note: was Hornet just immune from the light infection due to her twice-royal heritage, or something? I know our Hollow Boys are specifically designed to be a black hole for the infection to sink into- what's Hornet's excuse for not going shiny inside her head like Myla, other than "being biggest badass"?
    How the infection works isn’t 100% clear, but a few characters shake it off. Sly and Bretta are succumbing to it when you meet them, but shake it off. Sly’s a badass, but Bretta...not so much.

The Hunter describes as whispers in your head, and he was offered power but resisted. It’s stated that this is why the Traitor Lord is infected. You may also be more vulnerable while sleeping, which may be why Myla lasted so long (she mentions not sleeping for days). Hornet’s lineage maaaay offer protection, but I think it’s more that she is aware of its nature than anything. Power alone clearly isn’t a factor. Zote probably resisted just because he’s a stubborn, egotistical asshole, and a number of mundane NPCs are uninfected (Millibelle, Lemurr, the Stag).

So, it’s not really an illness. More than likely it gets you in your sleep and you don’t realize the danger. Or it slowly whispers to you and chips away at your mental defenses. And finally, some people just straight-up willingly give in.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Well I took a break and will be going for the true ending/optional stuff/dlc tomorrow and this weekend.

I feel like I kind of played the later chunk of the game in the wrong mindset. I stopped playing for like 3 weeks due to heavy dmc5 addiction, and came back wanting to crank out the true ending before starting sekiro. Feel like it made me a bit impatient.

Also two giant middle fingers to the white palace. Fuck you palace you didn't beat me.

I wonder if the Path of Pain will though.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Well that sounds awful

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    If you legit do not like difficult platforming challenges, then don’t do it. It will piss you off.
    It’s a two-second cutscene with no dialogue or even action. That’s it.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    I loved it ultimately, but I admit I didn’t fully grasp the extent of the dream nail’s story and gameplay integration for a few hours after I got it. It felt like a neat but not revelatory ability. I figured it out before starting the end game business, but I’m not sure I recall how.

That ultimate payoff is fucking great though.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Dreams were going to be a larger mechanic where you could go in an NPC’s head and mess around. But it was probably too much work for an already large freshman effort, and also probably took away from the Metroidvania feel a bit. That may be why it feels off at first.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Wow fuck the true last boss. Maybe I'll beat this some day but it won't be today.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Wow fuck the true last boss. Maybe I'll beat this some day but it won't be today.

If you made it that far you should be able to win. It's challenging but not significantly more so then some of the necessary bosses to reach it. And less so than some of the optional fights.

Make sure you've fully upgraded the nail and unbreakable strength should help bring it down if you haven't been using it. Charms relating to dodging are probably helpful as well (can't remember any specific ones though)

• Options
    edited April 2019
    ... Son of a bitch. When I spoke to divine I had fragile greed on. She needs 12k and I have like 3. Unbreakable strength is very far off for me.

But yeah if there's any boss as hard as phase 2 of the last boss I don't remember it. Maybe you're counting dlc which I haven't done yet.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Yeah no I give up. Everything doing 2 damage and the screen being filled with bullshit is just too much for me. It's a shame, I really like the rest of the game but it's like this single boss was designed around my weaknesses.

Edit: turns out the charm I gave divine was fragile heart. With that equipped will I take 1 damage instead of 2? If so I might come back and grind at some point because that would make a hell of a difference.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    ... Son of a bitch. When I spoke to divine I had fragile greed on. She needs 12k and I have like 3. Unbreakable strength is very far off for me.

But yeah if there's any boss as hard as phase 2 of the last boss I don't remember it.
    Maybe you're counting dlc which I haven't done yet.

There isn't. That's far and away the hardest fight in the game. Nothing actually comes close.

• Options
    It also occurs to me that I never got the upgrade for the up spell, which seems like it would be very useful for this boss, so I look it up and of course. I knew that room must be for something. I went back and stood on that pedestal like 3 times.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    I knew that room must be for something. I went back and stood on that pedestal like 3 times.
    There is a face next to the pedestal that you can Dream Nail.
    "...Our voices... will cry out... again..."

That was enough of a hint for me.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I have found that a spell-based build is very effective against the final boss, especially the Shriek spell. For me, charms that afford spell power and survivability were more effective than ones that boosted my nail attack power/speed.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Yeah no I give up. Everything doing 2 damage and the screen being filled with bullshit is just too much for me. It's a shame, I really like the rest of the game but it's like this single boss was designed around my weaknesses.

Edit: turns out the charm I gave divine was fragile heart. With that equipped will I take 1 damage instead of 2? If so I might come back and grind at some point because that would make a hell of a difference.

I'm copying my own post from back in the thread but if you weren't aware, your health regens when you face her so use life extending charms like lifeblood core and joni's blessing. But yeah it took a while to get used to it. Lots of jumping.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    I never made much use of offensive magic, I always preferred to use soul on healing myself. Or vomiting out a bunch of explosive pets, heh.

IIRC when I actually downed the True Final Boss, my build included "heal faster" and "move while healing" charms.

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    I never made much use of offensive magic, I always preferred to use soul on healing myself. Or vomiting out a bunch of explosive pets, heh.

IIRC when I actually downed the True Final Boss, my build included "heal faster" and "move while healing" charms.
    I used offensive magic heavily. If all four hits of Abyss Shriek connect it will deal 80/120 damage (the latter with Shaman Stone). Even if you've upgraded to the Pure Nail it does more damage in less time, and if you haven't upgraded your weapon much (whether because Geo, Pure Ore, or you're intentionally holding off upgrading) the advantage is stacked heavily in favor of spells. Or, as happens later in the fight against the TLB
    When it shifts to the phase with floating platforms where you can't reliably hit Radiance with your nail. Depending on your charm setup it can take three or two hits with the nail to have enough SOUL for a spell, whereas it is unlikely you'd be able to stand there and hit Radiance 4/6 times in a row to deal a similar amount of damage.

Shade Soul frequently hits twice, so it isn't a bad ranged option.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »

The one person I've seen beat the final boss just gave up on healing entirely and let a pet charm do most of the work.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »

Oh no! You've made me want a 3D Hollow Knight.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    Delzhand wrote: »

Oh no! You've made me want a 3D Hollow Knight.

Blasphemy.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »

Blasphemy.

Naaaaaah, they need the model so it can be put into Smash Bros.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Hollow Knight is basically a 2D Metroid Prime.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Started pying this because I've put it off far too long. First thought was 'wow the map is useless, I don't even know where I am'. First charm in the shop shows where you are. Well then.

Does combat get more interesting? The standard whack and jump away is already getting a touch tedious. Do you get things like a dodge/roll?

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    You get more tools for combat throughout the game, yes. Early encounters are very simple because they're, you know, early.

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Beat this over the weekend, finally, and am now seeking out everything I missed to get that completion % up (think I'm at 91% or 92% right now). What a fantastic game. So, so hyped for Silksong.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    ... Well, a month later and I did it. I watched the Silksong trailer and was like, I can't not beat the last boss of a game I really enjoyed up until that point.

Final loadout, nailmaster charm, Grimm child for both fire and emotional support, and a shit load of blue health.

I knew I would end up with 1 health for the last stretch and that's exactly what happened. You bet your ass I stayed calm and took my time. Ending was pretty satisfying.

So in the end, amazing game, last boss sucked, white palace sucked, hope there isn't anything similar in Silksong.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I can't remember if I acfually beat this. I will have to look into this

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I can't remember if I acfually beat this. I will have to look into this

Play it again!

H9f4bVe.png