As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Trek] Ship Noises - Spoiler Discovery talk

19495969798100»

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Krathoon wrote: »
    It was funny how Xena eclipsed Hercules.

This is now the Rami thread.

does Hercules have Lucy Lawless and Renee O'Connor running around in bikinis each episode? Yeah I didn't think so.

unrelated to anything, you know what else is a great tv show?
    2hihrj8delkz.jpg

Speaking of great movies
    CwHlPkaWAAAIghw.jpg

sig.gif
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Question: does anyone have an opinion on the Eaglemoss ship models? I've seen a lot of varying reviews/sentiment online regarding them.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Question: does anyone have an opinion on the Eaglemoss ship models? I've seen a lot of varying reviews/sentiment online regarding them.

i want to buy some but they are too expensive for me to buy them lol

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I really like Worf's parents. The episode in particular is the second of season 4, "Family", right after Picard gets kidnapped by the Borg and stuff. They're just really good characters in a lot of ways. This episode in general is brilliant.

I keep dragging my feet starting farscape just because it's unfamiliar to me and therefore deeply terrifying. It sounds pretty cool though. I like that one of the preview images features a character that has very obvious non-humanoid physiology (being a puppet and all) which is definitely something lacking in most sci-fi series.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I really like Worf's parents. The episode in particular is the second of season 4, "Family", right after Picard gets kidnapped by the Borg and stuff. They're just really good characters in a lot of ways. This episode in general is brilliant.

I keep dragging my feet starting farscape just because it's unfamiliar to me and therefore deeply terrifying. It sounds pretty cool though. I like that one of the preview images features a character that has very obvious non-humanoid physiology (being a puppet and all) which is definitely something lacking in most sci-fi series.

Farscape delves far more heavily into things like uncomfortable necessities of dealing with truly alien races. Trek puts pretty much every species on some part of the human spectrum of behavior, but three of the main characters in Farscape are well and truly nonhuman in appearance and behavior. Which, to be honest, makes it all the more interesting and compelling when characters make bonds across those differences.

The first season of Farscape is more one-shot adventures, but you can't really skip any of it otherwise you will be totally lost on characters motivations and story down the road. I wouldn't really suggest skipping any of it anyway, though. And the series has an actual conclusion! It's one of the rare scifi shows that both had a story and got to actually finish that story; it was a near thing because of studio dickery, but the series solidly wraps up its story in a two-parter "movie", which was originally released after the series ended on a major cliffhanger.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

Been getting them since 2012. Look pretty good

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    FARSCAPE IS SICK

THIS MFER SAID "IT'S LIKE A VCR" I'M DYING THIS SHOW RULES

also the practical effects and makeup are very good and it's a really fun show! the characters are interesting and already show a lot of depth. you can tell the writers of this show are big fans of star trek but also just of science fiction in general, it's like a love letter to the genre.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    And the series has an actual conclusion! It's one of the rare scifi shows that both had a story and got to actually finish that story; it was a near thing because of studio dickery, but the series solidly wraps up its story in a two-parter "movie", which was originally released after the series ended on a major cliffhanger.

Note however that afaik the movie(Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars) has never been available for streaming anywhere, and to this day still isn't. The only way to get the movie is to buy the DVD/Blu-ray.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

so you know exactly how Kryten Crichton feels. Jump in the worm hole and go for a ride!

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    And the series has an actual conclusion! It's one of the rare scifi shows that both had a story and got to actually finish that story; it was a near thing because of studio dickery, but the series solidly wraps up its story in a two-parter "movie", which was originally released after the series ended on a major cliffhanger.

Note however that afaik the movie(Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars) has never been available for streaming anywhere, and to this day still isn't. The only way to get the movie is to buy the DVD/Blu-ray.

I dunno what finally changed, but I SPECIFICALLY went onto Amazon streaming to see what the deal was now. Not only do they have the Peacekeeper Wars available for streaming, it's also integrated into the end of Season 4.

So if you have Amazon Prime in the US, you can currently watch the entire series online, start to finish.

• Options
    Carson VendettaCarson Vendetta Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Picard being that grizzled old detective coming out of retirement for one last case cause the current guys just can't figure it out sounds just perfect.

I am 100% ok with a full season of Noir Trek

That sounds okay, but, what if, it was Picard running a hostel in his retirement. Only he's kind of a micromanager about it and not especially gifted as a business owner so he low key has to rely on his business partner or secretary to run the place. Also there's a Spaniard that works there and provides physical humor. Also picard speaks terrible spanish and the show is about the antics of running a hostel and the guests.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Oh no this crew isn't as nice as star trek's at aaalllllll

THEY TOOK PILOT'S ARM. WHAT THE HELL GUYS?

Oh nooooooooo he's ok with it that makes it so much worse :(

Dang this show throws pretty dark!

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Oh yeah, one another thing: don't go into Farscape without being open to heartbreak.

It's going to rip a lot of things out, sometimes including hearts.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I'm starting into Disco S2 now that it's all out and hot damn this is already a huge improvement over S1. Pike is just lovely and the plots have actual Trek things going on. I'm four or five episodes in and have been consistently been like "yes, thank you, more of that please!" after most of them. Only a couple things have been a little eye roll worthy like the pod action scene in episode 1, them making the mistake of trying to show how Turbolifts work, and S31 being, well, S31. Otherwise I've been greatly enjoying this so far and am looking forward to more.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Oh no this crew isn't as nice as star trek's at aaalllllll

THEY TOOK PILOT'S ARM. WHAT THE HELL GUYS?

Oh nooooooooo he's ok with it that makes it so much worse :(

Dang this show throws pretty dark!

Ahaha, that's actually lampshading for something way way more fucked up that happens later in the series.

(reminder for you people who have already watched it Metzger do not click save the surprise)
    Where Chrichton visits that other leviathan to find the inhabitants are feral cannibals who have been ripping off that pilot's arms to eat them every time they grow back.

• Options
    Finished S2 of Disco. The back half got pretty dumb pretty quick (NANOMACHINES SON) but at least it was dumb with the clear goal of shaking all the baggage off and doing their best to unfuck things. Hopefully Season 3 makes good use of the blank check they have to go and do some truly new Trek.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    marching on with DS9, finished the episode where Quark and fam get sent back to the 1950s. I love quark and his delivery is always perfect but mostly it felt like a filler episode. After that was Bond-shir episode which again was fun but i need this dominion story moving forward! Oh and there was an episode about finding the sword of Kahless and now it's floating in space...

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Pailryder wrote: »
    marching on with DS9, finished the episode where Quark and fam get sent back to the 1950s. I love quark and his delivery is always perfect but mostly it felt like a filler episode. After that was Bond-shir episode which again was fun but i need this dominion story moving forward! Oh and there was an episode about finding the sword of Kahless and now it's floating in space...

DS9 is serialized, often heavily, but it isn't only serialized like a lot of modern 13-episode-a-season dramas. It's still a ton of one-shot episodes that exist to just have fun or flesh out characters and relationships.

I'm at the exact same part and you just gotta kind of roll with how these shows work.

shryke on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

if you're waiting for uninterrupted linear story telling you'll have to wait till the last season when they wrap everything up.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

DS9 is serialized, often heavily, but it isn't only serialized like a lot of modern 13-episode-a-season dramas. It's still a ton of one-shot episodes that exist to just have fun or flesh out characters and relationships.

I'm at the exact same part and you just gotta kind of roll with how these shows work.

I actually like it better this way. The breakneck speed of modern serialized shows becomes a bit too much to bear at times. It's nice for both the characters and me to have a bit of down time to catch our breaths.

• Options

I actually like it better this way. The breakneck speed of modern serialized shows becomes a bit too much to bear at times. It's nice for both the characters and me to have a bit of down time to catch our breaths.

Yeah, you can actually miss an episode or three of DS9 and not be totally lost when you come back, provided they aren't season finales or something. You might miss some characterization or some details about how the current war is going, but your viewing experience isn't going to be crippled until you go back and catch those missed episodes.

• Options
    MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular

The big thing about this is that it allows you time to get to know the characters, which should, in turn, help you to care about them. Which might be important making events hit home more if, say, you decide to suddenly kill one of them off and make a big to-do about their funeral or something.

Luscious Sounds Spotify Playlist

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    Bomb goes off on earth, Siskos reaction is to become the gestapo. I actually haven't seen these episodes before but i'm expecting the dad to smack Sisko in the head next episode. I get Odo is gung-ho for security but it seems Sisko should be a little smarter than this.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUvgE-PlAqo

Junkball Media continuing to provide the insanely nerdy Trek content I love.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
This discussion has been closed.