As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Too Fast, Too Furious

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited May 2019 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Too Fast, Too Furious

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    darklaodarklao Registered User regular
    I don't get it. Is this about armpits?

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I think it's about posting the thumbnail where the main comic is supposed to be. Possibly because someone was typing too fast and too furiously.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    TheOneThatGotAwayTheOneThatGotAway Registered User regular
    It's happened before. Or the comic on the frontpage instead of the thumbnail. Now, we play the waiting game!

• Options
    PyrianPyrian Registered User regular
    In fairness... It did make me laugh.g7f83gwv3jwy.png

• Options
    SpeethSpeeth Registered User regular
    best strip in a good long while

• Options
    SonneillonSonneillon Registered User regular
    uj73hufmk4k5.jpg
    Gotta go fast

• Options
    OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    A bit untimely to do a comic about the Wii U, innit?

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • Options
    zeromhzeromh Registered User regular
    Man, PA messes up their web site A LOT. Especially in the news posts. You've got links to the wrong comic, broken comic links, unclosed HTML tags, switching the comic and the thumbnail... It's like whoever does the coding doesn't even check their work before hitting Publish.

• Options
    VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    This is beautiful. It must live.

• Options
    YeOldeWizardYeOldeWizard Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I know this is a posting mistake, but I actually kind of love it. Seriously made me laugh. The choice to have an entire comic just be a close up of a bewildered face juxtaposed by the title text is the kind of avant-garde thing I can imagine Jerry pushing for.

YeOldeWizard on
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Wow, they must have been REALLY worried people would be mad about Game of Thrones spoilers.

Until they get it fixed, you can see the actual comic here:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/421717632?t=03h12m36s

dennis on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Its fixed now and its hilarious

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Its fixed now and its hilarious

Only thing missing was a hidden Pat Rothfuss :P

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    You know, I hear the complaints about how the last few seasons have taken a lot of narrative, logistical, and straight up implausibly convenient shortcuts to just keep the damned story moving.

On the other hand, George RR Martin wrote himself into such an intractable narrative knot, he threw his hands up and walked away to do other projects.

So you know, who's really to blame here?

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I don't remember who said it or where (it might have been here on PA) and I make no claim to the originality of this statement, but I definitely think it feels true:

The first 5-6 seasons of Game of Thrones feel like they were based off of books and were adaptations of an existing story. By contrast, the last few seasons of GoT feel like they were written off of a bullet point list of high-level plot beats and there's almost no story there at all. It just moves from beat to beat with no transition at all.

Which is probably exactly correct, since Weis and Benioff sat down with GRRM and had him give them exactly that, a high-level bullet point list of where he intended to take the story.

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    The story as I heard it was that George RR Martin quizzed Weis and Benioff about Jon Snows parentage to see if they were up to the challenge of doing the show justice.

I'm wondering if Martin is wishing he asked a harder question.

• Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I don't remember who said it or where (it might have been here on PA) and I make no claim to the originality of this statement, but I definitely think it feels true:

The first 5-6 seasons of Game of Thrones feel like they were based off of books and were adaptations of an existing story. By contrast, the last few seasons of GoT feel like they were written off of a bullet point list of high-level plot beats and there's almost no story there at all. It just moves from beat to beat with no transition at all.

Which is probably exactly correct, since Weis and Benioff sat down with GRRM and had him give them exactly that, a high-level bullet point list of where he intended to take the story.

It is an unfortunate predicament for those of us who have read the books but really aren't interested in the tv show. I can honestly say I don't care THAT much about GoT's story being spoiled for me, and I assume that the remaining two books won't follow the narrative of the tv show perfectly, but I'm betting many of the high points will be identical in both formats. When that one major character comes back from seeming death? Or when that one major character kills that other major character? Something like that will probably happen in the books too.

So, yeah, I do already potentially know some fairly major spoilers for the remaining two books. But what can you do? I wouldn't want GRRM to rush the rest of the books out just to stay ahead of the tv show. I guess the silver lining is this: By the time he finishes the last book, the tv show will probably be 20 years in the past and I'll have forgotten some of what I know. :p

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    MarcinMN wrote: »
    I guess the silver lining is this: By the time he finishes the last book, the tv show will probably be 20 years in the past and I'll have forgotten some of what I know. :p

20 years? Reboot time.

• Options
    JackJack Registered User regular
    Last book? We don't even have the penultimate book!

• Options
    ZenigataZenigata Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    It's amazing how this one series is considered something that everyone knows, loves, and watches. Inescapable, just like advertisements. High fantasy as a setting is so played out and boring by exposition that I cannot even take anything based in that setting seriously or with any interest (Yeah, that includes Lord of the Rings too Tolkien fans, fight me). How are people not utterly bored to tears the second they reveal this is the backdrop for whatever story is told? I wouldn't mind an accurate middle ages portrayal, if they could do anything besides glamorize it like an old spaghetti western.

Zenigata on
  • Options
    Johnny17Johnny17 Registered User regular
    GOT the book will end like Hellbound Heart the Book.

• Options
    YeOldeWizardYeOldeWizard Registered User regular
    I just noticed the little "And Amy" addition to the credits on this one. That's cool.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Zenigata wrote: »
    It's amazing how this one series is considered something that everyone knows, loves, and watches. Inescapable, just like advertisements. High fantasy as a setting is so played out and boring by exposition that I cannot even take anything based in that setting seriously or with any interest (Yeah, that includes Lord of the Rings too Tolkien fans, fight me). How are people not utterly bored to tears the second they reveal this is the backdrop for whatever story is told? I wouldn't mind an accurate middle ages portrayal, if they could do anything besides glamorize it like an old spaghetti western.

People like different things?

Also, GoT is decidedly not like Tolkien. In the books, anyway, there's only a handful of fantastic elements, and they're portrayed as being frightening if not abhorrent. Most of the series is about people trying to fuck other people over, or trying to survive after getting fucked over.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    I just noticed the little "And Amy" addition to the credits on this one. That's cool.

For those who weren't watching the stream, Mike made her take the wheel for a bit while he was eating. Also, they dropped a major Game of Thrones spoiler on her. "Accidentally."
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    People like different things?

So glad you said it this time. I get so tired of having to say that.

dennis on
  • Options
    Johnny17Johnny17 Registered User regular
    If people like different things then there should be only one person liking Game of Thrones. :)

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    I, for instance, would much rather have a story based on the myths and archetypes that have inspired people for literal millennia than a setting which tries to be new just for novelty's sake. I find myself rolling my metaphorical eyes at settings which feel the need to call what are clearly elves "Zorestrians" and give them cat ears just so they can brag that there are no elves in their story. But people like different things and I don't begrudge them those settings, though I get a bit tired if a setting seems to think that not having elves is some sort of accomplishment.

• Options
    ElohssaElohssa Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I read the first GoT book when it came out in 1998, and I was spoiling the first season before I knew there was a TV series in the works.

It broke my own high fantasy malaise by being unpredictable, and the first 3-4 books came out at a steady pace. And then GRRM took like 7 years to write the next book that was release around the first season, and we find out he's apparently spent the bulk of that time inking merchandising deals.

I'll read whatever he puts out, but G "Dirty Santa" RRM has not treated his oldest fans well at all. It's major strike against him as an artist, though clearly he is an astute businessman.

Elohssa on
    Shaw's Principle: Build a system even a fool can use, and only a fool would want to use it.
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    He hasn't pulled a Robert Jordan yet at least.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if Martin never puts out a book again and just enjoyed his money. As someone who stopped watching the show when it parted ways with the books and has been waiting for next novel I wouldn't be happy, but could accept it.

What really drives me up the wall is that Martin is writing other books instead. I appreciate backstory, some of my favourite things in Game of Thrones are the little bits of backstory, like Barristan's exploits when he was younger, the recollections of the Smiling Knight and the fact Valyria just got hit with the Doom. It never mentions what happened there other than some volcanic activity, just that it's a smoking ruin that got Doomed so hard the water around the entire peninsula just boils.

But George, buddy, finish the books please.

Kelor on
  • Options
    TheSchaefTheSchaef Registered User regular
    Last TWO books, in point of fact