As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Daily Show], [Last Week Tonight], & [Comedy News In General]

• mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I'm of the opinion that we should outlaw executions, but that if you are going to do it the governor of the state should have to kill the person themselves as they hold the final power over life and death in our stupid system. Russian style pistol to the back of the ear.

The southron lords are too soft to follow the northern ways.

Hey, we northerners don't execute anyone. We've even got rules about extraditing people to countries where they would be executed.

Yep. Instead, we spent however many decades are needed convincing them that they were wrong and we were right.

It's just as effective, and personality I find that much more satisfying.

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    mrondeau wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I'm of the opinion that we should outlaw executions, but that if you are going to do it the governor of the state should have to kill the person themselves as they hold the final power over life and death in our stupid system. Russian style pistol to the back of the ear.

The southron lords are too soft to follow the northern ways.

Hey, we northerners don't execute anyone. We've even got rules about extraditing people to countries where they would be executed.

Yep. Instead, we spent however many decades are needed convincing them that they were wrong and we were right.

It's just as effective, and personality I find that much more satisfying.

Oh, I agree. I was just making a GoT reference, and pointing out that the people sentencing others to die are too cowardly to not rely on others to do the deed.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    "The man that passes the sentence should swing the sword" is a great idea, if what you want is a litmus test that ensures all of your leaders are people who enjoy violence

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    "The man that passes the sentence should swing the sword" is a great idea, if what you want is a litmus test that ensures all of your leaders are people who enjoy violence

Only if every leader is fine with capital punishment in the first place.

I know governors have pardon power, do they have the ability to commute a death penalty to a life sentence? I'm sure I've seen that somewhere, but I'm not sure if it's got to be all or nothing with pardons/commutations?

Cause...
    "Governor, there are 6 people scheduled to die in the next month. You'll be required to execute them."
    *governor signs six pieces of paper*
    "Nope. Next order of business."

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    All of these solutions are clever ways of making capital punishment less palatable to people that aren't really enthused with it anyway. It's not going to stop Texas

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »
    All of these solutions are clever ways of making capital punishment less palatable to people that aren't really enthused with it anyway. It's not going to stop Texas

It's not just Texas. I'm willing to bet you'd get people from all over lining up to execute a guy who rapes and eats babies (as a hypothetical example, of course).

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    You guys are still talking about this stuff like they're proposed solutions to the death penalty.

They're not.

The only proposed solution is to abolish the death penalty.

But if you have a governor, let's say, who spent $30,000+ of his own money to campaign on a referendum to bring back the death penalty to his state? And he wins? And he doesn't have the balls to be in the room when the first execution in 19+ years happens? And his prisons director admits that they won't be able to get the drugs for any future executions?

He should have to eat that shit when he's up for re-election. And his opponents should use as many Ned Stark references as they want.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    The impression I got from the episode is that the most humane method of execution would involve properly administered general anesthesia. Right? And the condemned don't get that because doctors refuse to administer it. Which is understandable but boy also a real gray area. I know if I was on death row I'd rather a doctor break their principles than, you know, be tortured to death

But no doctor would do it

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    During Seth Meyers' recent break, his son almost broke his nose. There's video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJPTwtk1KFc

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    God my kid did that with a toy of his once where he legit smashed something into the bridge of my nose it hurts like a sumbitch

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    wandering wrote: »
    The impression I got from the episode is that the most humane method of execution would involve properly administered general anesthesia. Right? And the condemned don't get that because doctors refuse to administer it. Which is understandable but boy also a real gray area. I know if I was on death row I'd rather a doctor break their principles than, you know, be tortured to death

But no doctor would do it

And even if you find a doctor willing to break their hippocratic oath, they still wouldn't do it because they would become an untouchable to every hospital and practice in the country, if not every developed and most developing nations on planet Earth.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I also decided to check in on Chiitan.

https://splinternews.com/meghan-mccain-getting-called-out-on-her-ilhan-omar-smea-1834606704

Seth also had Meghan McCain on last night and took her to task for her comments. I'm linking this article because it has text of the interview and I can't stand how McCain talks. Like Grima Wormtongue without the subtlety.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I saw that he had her on via the video uploaded to the show's YouTube but I was scared to click it. Gonna watch it now that I know he doesn't just let her get away with her tired horse shit.

Henroid wrote: »
    I saw that he had her on via the video uploaded to the show's YouTube but I was scared to click it. Gonna watch it now that I know he doesn't just let her get away with her tired horse shit.

Splinter also included some petty as fuck since deleted tweets from Megan's husband about what an asshole Seth Meyers is. Its so funny how many brave defenders of the status quo always cry about the civility of others.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    "Are you her publicist?" Oh fuck off Meghan McCain.

• HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Telling Meghan McCain to fuck off is always a good idea.

sig.gif
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    God my kid did that with a toy of his once where he legit smashed something into the bridge of my nose it hurts like a sumbitch

The way they really get you is with head jerk as you are holding them and they smash their skull directly into the bridge of your nose.

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    During Seth Meyers' recent break, his son almost broke his nose. There's video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJPTwtk1KFc

I would swear this was posted a while ago, and there was a follow up post exactly like preacher's. Like, I distinctly have a memory of seeing that video when it was first posted to youtube and then reading a post like preacher's, but it also feels like it was much longer ago than... 8 fucking days?!

Is this the Berenstein or Berenstene universe?

The way they really get you is with head jerk as you are holding them and they smash their skull directly into the bridge of your nose.

Yeah he does that. Or like when they are getting up on the couch and manage to like land a solid hand/elbow blow right into your dick and balls. Just full on nuts and berries you sank my dickorship.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Holy shit I almost fell out of my chair. On tonight's Closer Look they played some of a phone call Trump made when he would be his own make-believe publicist, and the way he talks is... exactly the same. Christ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOjH1fjDjI0

edited May 2019

Splinter also included some petty as fuck since deleted tweets from Megan's husband about what an asshole Seth Meyers is. Its so funny how many brave defenders of the status quo always cry about the civility of others.

Based on some of the stuff I read this is a normal reaction for him, he also got worked up with how Megan was portrayed in SNL as well.

Megan might have shitty beliefs, but it seems like she's willing to let it go after she's had her say. Which I kinda guess she'd have to be able to do, since getting told out for GoP bullshit is basically her purpose on The View.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
    Foefaller wrote: »

Based on some of the stuff I read this is a normal reaction for him, he also got worked up with how Megan was portrayed in SNL as well.

Megan might have shitty beliefs, but it seems like she's willing to let it go after she's had her say. Which I kinda guess she'd have to be able to do, since getting told out for GoP bullshit is basically her purpose on The View.

What? No she doesn't, she brings up her petty beefs on the view all the time. Like Meyers was specifically hitting her on the continued insistence that Omar is a huge anti semite.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited May 2019
    Foefaller wrote: »

What? No she doesn't, she brings up her petty beefs on the view all the time. Like Meyers was specifically hitting her on the continued insistence that Omar is a huge anti semite.

That's kinda what I meant about shitty beliefs.

But that was still a pretty terrible comment on my part. I'm trying to show bemusement about how her husband seems to think he needs to go on a Twitter rant whenever people say mean things to a or about her, even though the main reason she's on the View is to replace the last token conservative on the show that got into such arguments with everyone.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
    "According to new research couples in the UK are having less sex than they have been in the last 20 years. That story again, the British Pound continues to fall."

Whoever wrote that joke for Seth Meyers yesterday is incredible.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    "According to new research couples in the UK are having less sex than they have been in the last 20 years. That story again, the British Pound continues to fall."

His staff of writers is pretty top notch. One of the best things about Seth though, is how much he'll highlight his writers, especially the women writers.

Amber clearly gets her share, but Jenny and Ally both have running bits (Jokes Seth Can't Tell and Point/Counterpoint), but others get theres too (Leave Him Alone guy, and various writers get to do 'Writer Explains A Joke' bits).

Daily Show obviously does this with "correspondents", but most tend to hide their staff. I like Seth doesn't.

EDIT: Arguably my favorite bit with writers taking a good portion of the episode runtime to be featured.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i0Vr6DiBCQ

I'm sure @Forar will add his favorite bit, which is funny in a different way.

MorganV on
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    The debut episode of Jordan Keppler's new show is the second overlap between this thread and the Wrestling thread in the span of a month.

Also, it has been really good.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    While I enjoy many of the late night shows these days, Seth is probably my favorite, for exactly the reasons already outlined. The spotlight he gives to his writers, as well as how transparent he seems to be.
    Putting Amber Ruffin on TV alone is worth something.

I wish the audience would've given Michelle Wolf a chance, RE: her Netflix show. It had a couple rough experiments at its start but she found her stride for what to do with the show after.

I will always respect a comedian who is trying new shit instead of sticking to formulas. That's part of what makes Conan O'Brien so great and standout for his gen of late night show hosts. He was more experimental than they were and that's how we got the Masturbating Bear and such.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    I'm sure Forar will add his favorite bit, which is funny in a different way.

I have MorganV to thank for getting me into Seth and their team, so yeah, if we're gonna talk incredible Meyers/co bits, this is one of my favourites;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPXpAeK7gfo
    (Starts at the 4 minute mark)

I do so love the evolution of the bit to have him tell 2, and Jenny's reaction on the second attempt gets me Every. Single. Time.

But lately I've been on a real Amber Says What kick.

By which I mean I found a playlist, and watched/listened to it for like 3 hours straight one night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-Y23I58oLY

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I watched a bunch of both of those as well.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Yeah, Amber says what is my favorite bit

steam_sig.png
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I wish the audience would've given Michelle Wolf a chance, RE: her Netflix show. It had a couple rough experiments at its start but she found her stride for what to do with the show after.

I will always respect a comedian who is trying new shit instead of sticking to formulas. That's part of what makes Conan O'Brien so great and standout for his gen of late night show hosts. He was more experimental than they were and that's how we got the Masturbating Bear and such.

Agreed. I loved her show but I also think Wolf has a voice that is basically nails on a chalkboard to a lot of people.

• TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular

I don't get it.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Pound is a word for sex.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I need to work "glasses off, [fuckers]" into my vernacular somehow.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    Bill Nye was amazing on Last Week Tonight. I have a feeling he was more than happy to vent in a genuine manner.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Bill Nye was amazing on Last Week Tonight. I have a feeling he was more than happy to vent in a genuine manner.

Safety Glasses, off, motherfuckers!

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • TetraRayTetraRay Registered User regular

Safety Glasses, off, motherfuckers!

Great segment for Oliver, should watch the whole thing, but the important bit Safety glasses off, motherfuckers

Steam ID: TetraRay
    A Closer Look was weird last night. Not bad weird, but weird. A significant portion of it is dedicated to talking about how Trump cheats at golf. Not that he does, the actual specifics of how. It's actually kinda relevant and indicative of what kind of person he is because it's how he behaves in every facet of his life. It's fascinating how much of a brazen petty piece of shit he is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK-iSkqajHM