As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Juggernut wrote: »
    With Jinsuke I never deflected I just dodged left as soon as I saw the sword glint and then hit him in the back once or twice.

Yeah eventually I did that

Prolegomena on
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Final boss phase 2 (or 3 depending on counting) tip:
    If you're not making use of your spirit emblems in this fight, just unload all of your shurikens at him when he's doing the flashy move to pull the spear out of the ground at the start of the phase, since he can't block them.

It won't get close to killing him, but it'll do enough damage that posture damage will stick better right from the start.

broken image link
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Thanks for that!
    I’ve been mainly fighting without the use of spirit emblems, because on my other save I completely ran out while trying to beat Owl 1 so then I had to adjust my tactics and git gud, and I got used to not using prosthetics.

I’ve been using a few spirit emblems on Akos spiritfall at the start of first phase of saint just to get done with him faster but I do like the idea of hitting 2nd saint phase hard early.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Anyone have tips for the bad end final boss

That fire is rough

• Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    Anyone have tips for the bad end final boss

That fire is rough
    As far as I can tell, in the big AoE that explodes upwards, the doors on the floor are always safe spots. And everything in the Iaijutsu can be deflected, for very little damage taken.

For the fire Ichimonji, I found that either jumping back and to the left, or dodging forwards and past him were safe.

I can't dodge the long cone thing for shit, ended up just sprinting left and jumping when he started the animation. Can probably be blocked with the fire Umbrella, though.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    101 wrote: »
    Late game mini boss
    the red eyes ashing elite is a real sob

Ended up having to abuse the flame most feathers to get him

On Ng+ now. Feels real good to be one shoting bosses that gave me do much trouble first time round

Red eye enemy tips
    Living Force is real nice. I'm on ng+ as well and absolutely wrecked the drunkard with it

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I really need to get through the early part of the game

I have a big gauntlet of enemies to run through at the Hirata estate? Leading up to a boss, I think

I haven't pplayed this game in like a month because I need to dedicate hours to it and I haven't had the time

• Options
    NG+ so far is making all the suffering in my first passthrough worth it. All these different options at my disposal is really fun.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    On the final good boss right now and honestly it really feels like they're just escalating the difficulty in the cheesiest way of having twitchy animations and high damage.

• Options
    On the final good boss right now and honestly it really feels like they're just escalating the difficulty in the cheesiest way of having twitchy animations and high damage.

The vegetation is extra trolly in how it can block visibility of certain animations.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »

The vegetation is extra trolly in how it can block visibility of certain animations.

It just feels like the difficulty has ramped by like, killing me super fast.

So moments which, for the rest of the game, would be getting hit and healing while learning that animation. Are a death.

Which is just frustrating.

• Options
    Butters wrote: »

It just feels like the difficulty has ramped by like, killing me super fast.

So moments which, for the rest of the game, would be getting hit and healing while learning that animation. Are a death.

Which is just frustrating.

To mitigate my frustration I started calling my attempts "practice". I wasn't trying to beat him for probably 40 attempts over a few days. I was "practicing" his different forms because I didn't expect to actually beat him. It wasn't until I was able to get through the sword form with no healing that I finally felt close and even then I still had to finish learning the spear form well enough to get through it.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    As much as I complained about a lot of bosses the duels I think are fair. They are very hard and took me a long time to learn but they are mostly fair. There are enough different ways to get through them where I respect their construction and can enjoy parts of them.

I think there is only one fight I really don't like and consider bullshit
    The Demon of Hatred. I think it's a boring fight, there are too few options to approach it, and requires one too many deathblows.

Butters on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I'm watching a speedrun of the game and apparently you can deflect Snake Eyes Shirahagi's grab move??? Fucking hell would that have been nice to know.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Yeah I saw that when I was watching that one dude do his no damage run a while back. I just fought her today and couldn't resist jumping back.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Still no progress on Saint

But I did take down Owl 2

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Living Force seems like the most overpowered thing in the game against human-sized enemies

Like holy moley

• Options
    Platy wrote: »
    Living Force seems like the most overpowered thing in the game against human-sized enemies

Like holy moley

With the final flame vent you don't even need confetti for apparition enemies

• Options
    Oh jeez I must say I haven't really got stuck on any boss so far but Corrupted Monk 2 seems like it's specifically designed to exploit my personal weaknesses

• Options
    Also I feel there are some translation shenanigans going on with the Corrupted Monk, Basket Wearer Shosuke uses "he" pronouns but the memory says her name was Priestess Yao

Should be Corrupted Nun!

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I beat that giant ogre fuck!

Fuck you, ogre! FUCK YOU

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Also I feel there are some translation shenanigans going on with the Corrupted Monk, Basket Wearer Shosuke uses "he" pronouns but the memory says her name was Priestess Yao

Should be Corrupted Nun!

The basket weaver is talking about the dude you bring the water of the palace to in Mibu.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i think my biggest complaint about the combat system in sekiro is that i wish grabs had something special you could do to counter them, like how thrusts have mikiri counter and sweeps have the mario stomp

as is the only thing you can really do is "run away" and some of those grab hitboxes are real squirrelly

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Still stuck on Genichiro. Finally made it to phase 2 but had no gourds left and got promptly merc'd so now I have to start over.

Jesus why am I doing this?

• Options
    I had to go look at the guy because he doesn't have a shaved head

But he had paper charms on him so I think you're right

Didn't bring him the water yet

• Options
    Still stuck on Genichiro. Finally made it to phase 2 but had no gourds left and got promptly merc'd so now I have to start over.

Jesus why am I doing this?

I took the opportunity of being at this point to go and explore some lovely mountain scenery.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I said fuck it and went to Senpou. Found a gourd seed so that should help. I dunno man.

I dunno.

• Options
    I said fuck it and went to Senpou. Found a gourd seed so that should help. I dunno man.

I dunno.

Don't feel too discouraged, man. Genichiro is where the game gets real and starts forcing you to play a certain way.

• Options
    Guardian Ape can do one

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Ahahaha.

Don't thrust-attack against Owl.
    He knows how to mikiri.
    He can deathblow.
    Your posture will not survive the mikiri.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Can someone give me the how on how to farm Fulminated Mercury

The problem seems to be I can't find Ashina Gunmen

Various guides on the internet you have to go to the Ashina Castle bonfire and run up the stairs but those guys don't carry guns and they drop Scrap Magnetite

Also where is the Ministry Beggar

• Options
    Can someone give me the how on how to farm Fulminated Mercury

The problem seems to be I can't find Ashina Gunmen

Various guides on the internet you have to go to the Ashina Castle bonfire and run up the stairs but those guys don't carry guns and they drop Scrap Magnetite

Also where is the Ministry Beggar

The fulminated mercury enemies are after you finish fountainhead palace.

Not sure about the other guy without being more specific.

• Options
    Thank you, the stuff you find on the internet is super-confusing

• Options
    Yeah I went through the same thing.

• Options
    You can farm the gunners in the poison pool. I had some success with ballons and the demon bell there.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I can never tell if names like "Ministry Beggar" are official, or something invented for a given guide.

Because I've beaten this game three times and have no idea who that could be, other than the old religious lady you encounter over the course of the game.

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    90% sure the beggar enemies are the ones that ring the alarm bell, which would put the Ministry Beggar at the end-game where any of the firearm wielding enemies can drop it.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    I had a strong day yesterday, dealing with the Guardian Ape, O'Rin of the Water, the Guardian Ape again (+ buddy) just for the fun of it even though I didn't have to, and the Corrupted Monk.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Final boss phase 2 (or 3 depending on counting) tip:
    If you're not making use of your spirit emblems in this fight, just unload all of your shurikens at him when he's doing the flashy move to pull the spear out of the ground at the start of the phase, since he can't block them.

It won't get close to killing him, but it'll do enough damage that posture damage will stick better right from the start.

Alternate tip
    Use the phantom Kunai since they can't be blocked. If you use them with the ceremonial dagger you can deal about 90% worth of an entire health bar with just kunai.

• Options
    Maybe I was just better at the game by then but double ape fight I thought was easier than guardian and the fight is totally worth two beads