As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Homeowner/House Thread: It's going to cost how much, now?

• CauldCauld Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    @Cauld

Have you looked at JC Penney? They tend to have decent prices (and fairly common sales) on window treatments.

I'll check them out. I would think materials are at most $20, and even 1 hr of labor to custom cut & assemble doesn't get me to $200.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Check out the Allen+ Roth ones at Lowe's.

We love em and they're pretty cheap: https://www.lowes.com/pl/Cellular--Window-shades-Blinds-window-shades-Blinds-window-treatments-Home-decor/4294856885?refinement=4294964464,1440975724

These are more shades, so it's all or nothing. Wife just put sheer curtains in front.

MichaelLC on
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    If a dude has to come to your house to do work, for even a couple of hours, the quote for the cost will be for the full day.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    If a dude has to come to your house to do work, for even a couple of hours, the quote for the cost will be for the full day.

We went through this ourselves recently - it cost $3100 for 14 windows to be treated with custom installs, so about $220/window.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • CauldCauld Registered User regular
    I don't need anyone to come to my house. I'm fine ordering the sizes online and installing myself.

• SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Oof. Got a quote back from the flooring company.

- Luxury vinyl planks
    - 1230 sq ft
    - Installation
    - Removal of existing floor (shitty carpet, small patch of laminate and linoleum that she said they could floor over)

$9600

:cry:

• evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    SeñorAmor wrote: »

- Luxury vinyl planks
    - 1230 sq ft
    - Installation
    - Removal of existing floor (shitty carpet, small patch of laminate and linoleum that she said they could floor over)

$9600

That's within reason. I think about half of that is labor; vinyl planks aren't that hard to install DIY, and the removal of the existing floor could also be done by you. On the other hand, avoiding backbreaking labor is worth money. It's up to you how much money it's worth. (You can also go down a step in quality on the materials to shave a thousand or two off.)

• SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular

- Luxury vinyl planks
    - 1230 sq ft
    - Installation

$9600

That seems pretty high to me. What's the pricing on the planks? You can get pretty good planks for $3/sq ft, or very good planks for $4-5/sq ft.

• evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    Simpsonia wrote: »

- Luxury vinyl planks
    - 1230 sq ft
    - Installation

$9600

That seems pretty high to me. What's the pricing on the planks? You can get pretty good planks for $3/sq ft, or very good planks for $4-5/sq ft.

There's also installation and demo of existing carpet, plus from earlier in the thread I think SeñorAmor went for the good stuff. There's a profit margin there, but it's not as big as you might think.

• SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    I meant more that some floor companies I've heard of go ridiculously high on the sq ft price like $10+ for what is the exact same quality as stuff half the price. But at the same time if it's priced appropriately, $4k+ in labor also seems high for what is essentially a job that shouldn't take more than a day or day and a half for pros. And you're right, LVP is pretty easy to DIY, if he's halfway handy he could probably knock that out in a weekend with help from a buddy (depending on how many rooms your doing. More rooms = more cutting).

• DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I like SelectBlinds.com. I've used them a number of times and they've always had good customer service.

• SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    edited May 2019

- Luxury vinyl planks
    - 1230 sq ft
    - Installation

$9600

Incredibly close to what my wife and I were quoted for some nice vinyl planks for about 1400 sqft. Most of it was labor, including install of 1/4 round and moving furniture around as they worked.

Soggybiscuit on
    Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    The windows look great. But blinds are expensive too! To get some blackout blinds that would fit our windows will cost like $120+ on the lowest end.

Having nonstandard windows is expensive as hell.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • NoquarNoquar Registered User regular
    Fun stuff of ownership - we had an attic fire in March and are having fun with our adjuster negotiating with the insurance company for dwelling and contents - don't skimp on the homeowners insurance!

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

- Luxury vinyl planks
    - 1230 sq ft
    - Installation

$9600

Incredibly close to what my wife and I were quoted for some nice vinyl planks for about 1400 sqft. Most of it was labor, including install of 1/4 round and moving furniture around as they worked.

Shit, for ~$10k I'd want proper skirting boards, not quarter round.

• Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular

- Luxury vinyl planks
    - 1230 sq ft
    - Installation

$9600

Shit, for ~$10k I'd want proper skirting boards, not quarter round.

I'm guessing there was already baseboard (which i think is the same thing as skirting board) that they were not uninstalling or reinstalling. The 1/4 round is just there to disguise the gaps between the baseboard and flooring, since floors and baseboards are rarely perfectly flat/parallel.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Whee. A house came up on the search a realtor set up for me this morning, looked just about perfect. I'd set up time to go looking at houses with the realtor this Saturday morning, so I added that one to the list.

The house went contingent like 8 hours after it was listed. -_-

5gsowHm.png
  • StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »
    Whee. A house came up on the search a realtor set up for me this morning, looked just about perfect. I'd set up time to go looking at houses with the realtor this Saturday morning, so I added that one to the list.

That's how our market is right now, too. A neighbor down the street just put their place up and only had a single weekend of open house. Ended up with multiple offers well in excess of of their asking, and the sign was back down this week. Blew my mind. I hope it is that easy if we have to sell, but I feel for buyers. It's gotta be emotionally draining.

• Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular

That’s how we got our house; Mrs. Facepunch would say she liked it whenever we drove by and one day on the way home for lunch I noticed there was a for sale sign. I called a realtor and went contingent that evening. The house hadn’t even hit MLS yet when we settled on a price.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

We saw one that my wife loved that had just had a large price reduction. There were a couple other good possibilities though (we had seen 13 houses that day) and we needed to talk a bit.

The house changed listing to Pending 2 hours later.

There were a few that I'd save on Zillow for us to see as soon as my wife had time off from work that would get offered on in the meantime. Usually anything with a price remotely resembling a bargain, of course. Thankfully we have 3 strong options and 2-3 second-tier options right now. None are perfect enough to make the decision easy - all are good but have some compromise of either location or desired qualities to them. So we're taking our time now to check out the neighborhoods, shopping, drive times and all that and make sure we're making a choice we'll have no regrets over.

That’s how we got our house; Mrs. Facepunch would say she liked it whenever we drove by and one day on the way home for lunch I noticed there was a for sale sign. I called a realtor and went contingent that evening. The house hadn’t even hit MLS yet when we settled on a price.

Something similar here - we saw the house go on the market that day, and we were planning on going house viewing that evening, so I called the realtor and added it to the list. We saw it and fell in love, and we agreed that the house wasn't going to be on the market long - so we put in an offer on it that night.

If your local market is hot, houses will move fast.

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular

Something similar here - we saw the house go on the market that day, and we were planning on going house viewing that evening, so I called the realtor and added it to the list. We saw it and fell in love, and we agreed that the house wasn't going to be on the market long - so we put in an offer on it that night.

If your local market is hot, houses will move fast.

In Asheville it's quite common for houses to go for 10s of thousands over asking with contracts being signed sight unseen. I managed to avoid the major pitfalls of this market but it continues to be utterly cutthroat.

I'm really worried that the mortgage market will start to follow the housing market soon, and we'll be back on the precipice of 2008. I mean I hope we don't get there, but certainly in many many (many) markets, the temperature of the housing market has gone way up in the past two years.

"Luckily" for us, we have a fixed rate mortgage and are planning to stay in this house at least another 10 years. We'll re-evaluate once the youngest hits college, but I really like this place.

I'm really worried that the mortgage market will start to follow the housing market soon, and we'll be back on the precipice of 2008. I mean I hope we don't get there, but certainly in many many (many) markets, the temperature of the housing market has gone way up in the past two years.

"Luckily" for us, we have a fixed rate mortgage and are planning to stay in this house at least another 10 years. We'll re-evaluate once the youngest hits college, but I really like this place.

I made sure my mortgage was fixed rate too. Those 0 down USDA loans are pretty sweet.

• StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular

I honestly fantasize about selling right before a crash, collecting the overage, renting until the crash bottoms out, then buying into a nicer area. Sadly, a) I'll never time something that perfectly intentionally and b) I don't think we're actually going to crash/bubble here - I think the Pacific Northwest is just a stupidly popular place to move right now and as long as everyone is bathing in their McDucklike pools of Silicon Valley 2.0 stock vestings, it makes no sense to do anything but shelter in place.

• Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    Cauld wrote: »
    I don't need anyone to come to my house. I'm fine ordering the sizes online and installing myself.
    We had pretty good luck replacing dingy old miniblinds with Ikea HOPPVALS cellular blinds:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10431400/#/90431397

Not blackout, but they went in super easy, no strings/cords to deal with, and their quality appear to be fine at a very low price for window treatments. They're not custom cut, but if there's a size that fits your window frame you might give them a look.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

Eh, I think there is a strong chance for a price correction, but I don’t expect a financial crisis to come from it.

The difference this time is due diligence to ensure buyers can actually afford the crazy prices. Last time there was both high loan amounts and tremendously shitty documentation- like unverified “stated income” (less shady lenders would ask for proof if you said you made over a limit, or your job and income seemed not to match, but plenty of others just let you add as many zeros as you wanted to the end of the number with no proof), appraisers collaborating with brokers/lenders, etc.

So a correction makes home prices level off (or decline)- current owners should be able to continue to pay, while prices are less unaffordable for others, opening up a larger customer base for lenders.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Appraisers are definitely still collaborating with brokers/lenders in a bunch of places.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    We made an offer on our house the same day it hit the market. As did 8 other people. It's nuts how fast houses can go.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Senna1 wrote: »
    We had pretty good luck replacing dingy old miniblinds with Ikea HOPPVALS cellular blinds:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10431400/#/90431397

Not blackout, but they went in super easy, no strings/cords to deal with, and their quality appear to be fine at a very low price for window treatments. They're not custom cut, but if there's a size that fits your window frame you might give them a look.

The size is so close. Damnit.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    So, we had the AC installed last week. However, because of the cold snap, we were unable to have the system fully charged with coolant.

The cold snap has abated, and the current weather is a miserable level of muggy.

I think I'm going to call the installers and see if they can move up the charging.

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    I just moved into a new apartment and for various reasons I'm looking into cellular blinds. Why are they so expensive? My windows are pretty big (46.5" x ~ 60"), but still. I basically want the ability to have like a privacy screen sometimes and black out other times. Cheapest I've seen is like $250/window. Am I missing something?

We got ours from blinds.ca (blinds.com is the US version); "Bali" cellular blackout blinds for a 45x60 window would be CDN$177 = USD 131. (we actually got double-cell non-blackout ones, for insulation rather than darkness, but the overall buying and installing experience was great).

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    The company that does my neighborhoods’ recycling put stickers on everyone’s cans asking they’d appreciate people no longer using trash bags as they only impede sorting.

But I can’t think of a good way of moving my recycling to the outdoor bin that doesn’t involve some stuff eventually leaking to the bottom from various cans and jars.

We have a separate trash can (with bag) in the house for recyclables. We just dump the can into our recycle bin when it gets full. Once the bag gets sufficiently bad, the bag itself goes in the trash. We also rinse most containers that end up in that can, so the bag rarely needs replacing.

I guess you could use paper that's going in the recycle to soak up drips, but the bag is a bit of a cleaner solution.

Meanwhile the recycling company serving my neighborhood will ONLY take recycling if it's in a blue plastic bag. I used to leave the recycling bin out front but was confused at why they didn't empty it. Sometimes they would just pick through it and other times they'd take nothing at all. I couldn't figure it out until I talked to one of my neighbors. They also don't recycle much. All they seem to want is paper, metal and glass. They won't even recycle PET.

• Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    The company that does my neighborhoods’ recycling put stickers on everyone’s cans asking they’d appreciate people no longer using trash bags as they only impede sorting.

But I can’t think of a good way of moving my recycling to the outdoor bin that doesn’t involve some stuff eventually leaking to the bottom from various cans and jars.
    Fun fact: recycling that has food residue or other 'stuff' still on it that could leak down and get gross usually gets sorted directly to the trash/landfill anyway. Your best path forward would be to start rinsing them clean enough to put in an unlined can that you empty into your recycling bin as needed.

The in and outs of recycling in the US are pretty depressing, but that's another thread.

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

We use either paper grocery bags or empty cardboard boxes from Amazon packages to collect our recycling, and just take it straight to the bin like that. If using a box, we empty it into the bin and then break it down.

We've never had any problems with drips or leaks doing it that way, but we do let plastic dry in the dish rack after cleaning it and make sure to shake out as much water as possible from cans or bottles after rinsing them. Placing paper or cardboard to be recycled at the bottom of whatever bag or box helps too.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Yeah you gotta clean the stuff you put in your recycling bin or it goes straight in the regular rubbish.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Yeah you gotta clean the stuff you put in your recycling bin or it goes straight in the regular rubbish.

(basically everything goes in the regular trash now rip china recycling)

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Knight_ wrote: »

(basically everything goes in the regular trash now rip china recycling)

Yeah here in Australia all the recycling companies shuttered their facilities and just shipped it all offshore, and now we have fuck-all recycling capabilities.

Capitalism!

This discussion has been closed.