As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I am a programmer who can't get comfortable at a desk. Halp?

CalicaCalica Registered User regular
I do not like working at a desk. I've tried various chairs and other seating furniture; adjusted the height of the table, keyboard, and monitors; tried standing, perching, sitting, and switching between them; and I cannot get comfortable. There is something fundamental about the arrangement of "keyboard and monitors in front of body" that doesn't work for me.

At work, I find myself putting one or both feet on the seat of my chair, so I'm either sitting on one foot or curled up into a ball perched on my chair. Neither is comfortable or healthy long term. At home, I find myself actively avoiding my PC because the physical experience of using it is so unpleasant.

Barring getting one of these and a bigger apartment to put it in, I'm out of ideas. Any fellow desk-haters out there? How do you cope?

Calica on

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GF6D5T0/

how do you feel about something like this?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    That... looks really comfy, actually.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I sit indian style pretty often while I'm at my desk.

Calica wrote: »
    That... looks really comfy, actually.

I remember my teacher back in middle school having a similar issue, she used that almost exclusively because she liked to sit on her knees

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I used to work with a woman who was the same way, always sitting on her feet or curled up in her chair. She was pretty slight, so that may have had something to do with it...but we got her one of those knee chairs it was life changing for her. She loved the hell out of it.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I used to work with a woman who was the same way, always sitting on her feet or curled up in her chair. She was pretty slight, so that may have had something to do with it...but we got her one of those knee chairs it was life changing for her. She loved the hell out of it.

Yeah, I'm 5'4". Standard furniture is definitely not built for me :P

• SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular

I'm 5'0 and my current arrangement is cushy desk chair, keyboard on tray that drops below the desk so it's at the right height for my arms, and kiddie bathroom booster stool under my desk so I can rest my feet flat instead of just my toes touching the ground. The booster stool seems to be the magic ingredient, so I can switch between using it and sitting cross-legged in the chair.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Have you considered a standing desk? Will your company offer you on?

I have one. I've found that I can't get into deep focus while standing.

I tried out one of these in a showroom and liked it, so I ordered one. I am hopeful!

(Thanks, @bowen! :smile: )

oo those are nice ones

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    That one does Look awesome!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular

I tried out one of these in a showroom and liked it, so I ordered one. I am hopeful!

Did you like that particular model? I had a cheaper version of that idea that I liked 10 years ago.

(As for the thread title, I'm really fond of my combination of Ikea electric sit-to-stand desk + extra tall monitor arms that clamp to the desk. That way I can set both the desk and monitors to exactly the right height for me. It helps me sit up straighter and hold my arms more ergonomically.)

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
    templewulf wrote: »

Did you like that particular model? I had a cheaper version of that idea that I liked 10 years ago.

(As for the thread title, I'm really fond of my combination of Ikea electric sit-to-stand desk + extra tall monitor arms that clamp to the desk. That way I can set both the desk and monitors to exactly the right height for me. It helps me sit up straighter and hold my arms more ergonomically.)

I do. The curved frame lets it rock a little, which is nice. In practice it means you're actively balancing (hence the name?), even though there's not enough motion to interfere with typing, etc.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I met Uplift Desk at a con last weekend in Austin. I'm considering getting one of their desks, both for a badly needed upgrade of my office/mancave and for general wellness.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

Me too. Office furniture is built for big, heavy men and I can't get comfy in it. I have a dining room chair at home for my PC because it's not built for the Hulk.

Me too. Office furniture is built for big, heavy men and I can't get comfy in it. I have a dining room chair at home for my PC because it's not built for the Hulk.

That, and I dislike having all my weight on my butt :razz:

• templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular

I don't think it's built for *anyone*. Even if big guys fit better into a desk chair, touching back to the chair back just ends up with them curling into hunchbacks anyway.

I'm starting to think that only chairs for weirdos are any good at all!

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    This is why most good stuff is made in 3 different sizes. If you're small, ask for an "a" chair in aerons, for example

• QuantuxQuantux Registered User regular
    Excercise/Yoga ball. I used to sit exactly like OP described, was forming a hunch and exacerbating some mild scoliosis because of it. The best I'd found prior was standing, when I worked at a call center and they had raise-able KB trays, but I always sat down after a little while. Once my wife got me on the ball, so much has changed and I highly recommend it.

PSN/Steam - Quantux

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    One of my armrests has turned inward and it will not turn back.