As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mighty Morphin Power Thread: where we of course talk about TMNT

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I definitely sat at the purchase screen for that game for a bit, they're certainly making some interesting choices for characters.

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Has anyone talked about Jason David Frank doing a voice on a very Rangery episode of We Bare Bears?

https://youtu.be/pAZY8mJUj5w

BLM - ACAB
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    That was cool.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    The way that Ben and Betty were accidentally useful in this week’s ep is insane

• CururuCururu Registered User regular
    Ben and Betty have been the best "Bulk & Skull" characters that the show has had in a while. Much, much better than Monty and Victor.

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Also was anyone else following that Blake Foster/everyone else drama because I very much was

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    yeah

he shit on the new gold ranger for being a "weenie" or whatever

and the entire fandom came together as one, and spoke loudly, with a singular voice:

"dogg ain't nobody liked justin, sit down"

It was so cool to see all the fans and former rangers and current cast sticking up for Abraham!

Also cool that he didn’t feel the need to say anything himself

Anyway I like Nate and I’m happy for his actor

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Yeah, not sure where Foster's response to the Gold Ranger's actor's excitement over what happened came from. I heard he was a pretty chill dude so it's kinda weird to me he'd say something like that.

https://youtu.be/7WJMvQbcmLg

Today's addition of the three new characters for Battle For The Grid also adds a new story mode for the game with some familiar voices as part of it.

• ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Is this ever coming to PC?

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Dark GatekeeperDark Gatekeeper Registered User regular
    Greetings all.

I just joined cause I thought of a rather elaborate fan theory and I don't really have anywhere to post it so others could discuss it.
    It's rather long though. Would anyone have interest in this? (It's about 5 pages if it were printed.)

Artists unite, aeonatura arise!
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Depends? Maybe. You can always put it under a spoiler tag so it doesn't go nuts.

edited May 2019
    It's a theory about the Zeo powers. So not really a spoiler.

Dark Gatekeeper on
    They were saying to maybe use the spoiler tags to make it seem shorter, so people could choose not to have to scroll through all of it

Hmm... What if I just put the theory in a Google drive and then posted a link to that with a warning that it's long?
    Would that be better?

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Sure, go for it.

Very well. Here it is. A 5 page theory on what happened to the Zeo powers. (5 pages, PDF format)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kyriJPTstSxlHAqhzR_m9hhYyN6_IqJ4

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I love this level of dedication

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    Thank you!

Any thoughts?

CBR has a preview of MMPR #40 which starts a new story featuring the first appearance of a certain Ranger.
    yjaNhZ4.jpg
    rmvBdl7.jpg

Also from the full preview, it's pretty clear that
    Rocky, Adam, and Aisha are on the team

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Read a report that said one of the rangers from Ninja storm apparently died. Was only 38. Very unfortunate.

Ceno on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    Read a report that said one of the rangers from Ninja storm apparently died. Was only 38. Very unfortunate.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7017351/Pua-Magasiva-starred-Power-Rangers-movies-New-Zealand-soap-Shortland-Street-dies-aged-38.html

No suspicious circumstances and found alone in his home with no other details. Which...yeah...

uyvfOQy.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I was about to go "wait a minute" but I guess this is technically correct.

Also surprisingly pertinent to the thread title.

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    Battle for the Grid finally being out on Steam got me in the mood to rewatch some Power Rangers. I just finished SPD, what should I watch next?

I'm thinking Lost Galaxy, Lightspeed Rescue, Ninja Storm, Jungle Fury, or that recent dinosaur one with like a dozen rangers (haven't seen that one). Though really probably up for anything except maybe Operation Overdrive. I did rewatch RPM not too long ago, though.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Lightspeed Rescue has one of the catchiest openings in the franchise, so there's that.

Also, I haven't watched the newest series' but Lightspeed Rescue also has the rather interesting distinction of being the first(and still only?) series where the Rangers' powers and technology were developed by humanity rather than being granted/recovered by alien/ancient civilizations, so it does stick out for me a bit more than the others.

Donnicton on
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Lightspeed Rescue has one of the catchiest openings in the franchise, so there's that.

It had a decent first fight too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcfe1YkOhdU

Plus it has one of my favorite secondary Megazords.

Donnicton wrote: »

Also, I haven't watched the newest series' but Lightspeed Rescue also has the rather interesting distinction of being the first(and still only?) series where the Rangers' powers and technology were developed by humanity rather than being granted/recovered by alien/ancient civilizations, so it does stick out for me a bit more than the others.

Leaning towards that one with Carter's "shoot first, shoot second, shoot some more" attitude of martial arts.

I don't think it's the only one with humanity-based powers anymore. All the powers and equipment in RPM come from Dr. K, and I think the dad in Operation Overdrive might have made everything for that series but can't quite remember.

We know humans (along with Kat, who is an alien) made the SPD morphers, but the rest of SPD technology is likely alien as it seems to be a rather large galactic organization even if all the rangers are on Earth. [note: Weirdly, Kat is given her morpher by the supreme commander guy when away from Earth instead of making it herself].

I haven't seen Time Force in a while, but were aliens involved in that? I thought it was implied they eventually evolve from the security company that Wes was supposed to take over from his dad. Still, being hundreds of years in the future probably disqualifies this one.

It's also a popular fan theory than Billy made the Turbo powers, but he obviously would have had Zordon/Alpha's help and access to alien technology.

• MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Dino Thunder is also quite good.

I've only been able to catch a few episodes and clips of the current season, but it's a lot better than pretty much all of the Neo-Saban seasons.

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    People did NOT like Lightspeed Rescue when it first came out; I think they were expecting more of a direct follow-up to Lost Galaxy. (I liked it, though.) It was the first 100% clean break from what came before it, crossover aside (and that initially being available exclusively at McDonald's riled people up, too).

I think people have warmed up to it more over time.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Time for! Time Force!

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I'm partial to Power Rangers HyperForce

3basnids3lf9.jpg

I saw a lot of people warming up to Lightspeed Rescue in real time during that twitch marathon a year or two back. That was a trip.

I've watched the first few episodes of Lightspeed Rescue. Episode 4 opened with the most suicidal pomeranian ever.

I know the shows usually get ragged on for low production values and being cheezy, but I am reminded sometimes that you sometimes get some really good acting in these. Dr. K from RPM is usually my go to for best acting in the franchise, but she also had one of the most dramatic storylines so that may have unfairly given her an advantage. I decided to google to see what other acting was praised, and was happy with the first thing I saw...

cld33h450024.png

I did read some threads too, and common answers were:
    • Bulk & Skull (particularly for later years and for comedic timing)
    • Carter from Lightspeed Rescue
    • Most of the Time Force main cast (especially Pink Ranger, Quantum Ranger, and Ransik)
    • Jack from SPD
    • RJ from Jungle Fury
    • Most of RPM main cast (especially Dr. K, Ziggy, and Dillon)
    • Gia Miran from Megaforce (in spite of her season)

It also lead to me seeing this video from Olivia Tennet's YouTube channel of herself (Dr. K) and Rose McIver (RPM Yellow Ranger, and also iZombie) singing a duet:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJziJYQdB6A

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Linkara's HoPR on Lightspeed Rescue probably contributed to its upswing in interest, since he was pretty fond of it. I haven't dug into that season, my only memories of it aside from the catchy morphing theme is the horrible N64 game is was given back in the day. The Rangers fought by punching the air to send energy orbs!

Also, I finally got around to reading Shattered Grid and I liked it quite a bit!
    Lauren from Samurai getting the spotlight was nice, and I just picked up volume 9 so I'm curious about the Terra Venture team.

• JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Lightspeed gets a lot of crap, but it's a really, really solid season, and one of my favorites (the game is absolute garbage, I have it and have beaten it). Carter's no less of a Red Ranger just because he uses his pistols, he just knows he's no good at hand-to-hand and plays to his strength, and he's one hell of a marksman the later it gets in the season.

If you want a season that just doesn't take itself all that seriously? Go for Ninja Storm, you'll laugh yourself silly and it's a good change from darker seasons like RPM.

Also going to second whoever said Time Force, of what has to be one of the best damned seasons out there, period.

Wild Force is also a pretty good season- not the best, but the Time Force/Wild Force crossover is really good, too.

In Space is also a good one- it slowly picks up through the season, but the last quarter is just amazing.

Honestly, I don't think there's really a truly terrible season of PR out there- there might be some I don't care for (read: Alien Rangers), but honestly, I can find something to like about most seasons- I wasn't all that fond of Ninja Steel- and I haven't sat down to watch Megaforce just yet, but I think it's going to be decent.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?