As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Painting Miniatures] What colour is the best colour to paint your miniatures?

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    I’ve always wanted to try that rough metal look you see on a lot of inq28 stuff.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Purple
    Have you tried going thinner instead?

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Purple
    Does anyone have any tips for achieving a really crude cast iron effect? I've got the new Chaos Space Marine kit and I'd like to make some of the shoulder pads have this look.

I want to capture the dullness, pitting, and dark color of something like this:
    20141121-cast-iron-pan-restoration-daniel-gritzer-edit-28.jpg

Scalecolor has a metallic called Black Metal (all their silver metallics are named for sub-genres of metal, incidentally) that is very dark. If you were to mix it with their black paint you would get the effect you're looking for as their paints are extremely matte.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Purple
    For something like that I'd probably go Citadel Leadbelcher, then a good Nuln Oil wash, and bring up that pitted, tarnished look with some light drybrushing of either Leadbelcher again, or if that doesn't pop enough, whatever lighter metallic you have around. If it's still glossy after that you can always dullcote/anti-shine matte varnish the figures after?

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Have you tried going thinner instead?

I haven't but I definitely will. Everything I've been seeing says to get basically a blob on it. I'll try different consistencies though.

I got the crackle paint off the lava bases and cleaned the paint off and I'm redoing them. The ones I did I followed a guide from warhammer tv and they used a hair dryer for about 20 seconds to basically get the crackle paint to get a film over it and used abaddon black mixed with nuln oil and very lightly dabbed it across the crackle paint so it dried and broke with the crackle paint.

I think I either used too much heat or did it too long with the dryer which is why the bases didn't crack that well and one base I broke the film over the crackle paint which is why there was that bubble I noticed. Could also be the brand, warhammer tv is using their stuff and I have crackle paint from a completely different brand.

This time I am doing the same thing without the dryer. I let it sit for about 10 minutes and then dabbed the paint on. Hopefully it comes out better.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    Purple
    A friend was tired of having an unpainted Primarch and asked me to spruce it up a little.
    Quite happy with how it turned out.
    1qkxayxapvkq.jpg

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Purple
    Is there an easy way to prevent blotchy tide marks with GW washes?

Add a thinner or medium or something? I'm getting blotchy ork skin and I want it smoother

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Howdy all. I got the painting itch. I haven't painted anything for about a year, and haven't painted any Infinity for about 2 years. So to work the shakes out of my hands, of course I picked a super detailed, modern Infinity sculpt.

1009394_sm-.jpeg
    1009395_sm-.jpeg

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Purple
    Khraul wrote: »

Add a thinner or medium or something? I'm getting blotchy ork skin and I want it smoother

Thin it out and don't let it pool. If it starts pooling, move it around with your brush until it gets to the recesses.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Purple
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Khraul wrote: »

Thin it out and don't let it pool. If it starts pooling, move it around with your brush until it gets to the recesses.

Excellent, thank you

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Purple
    Water works fine to thin GW washes, as well, as long as you don't thin way too much (which makes it start beading like water).

• Options
    Purple
    I've always thinned mine with airbrush thinner, mostly because that's what's been close at hand when I've needed it.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    So the crackle paint issue I've been having seems based on the kind of crackle paint I'm using.

The clear ones are the clear distress crackle paint, Ranger TDC31888 Tim Holtz Distress Crackle Paint 4 oz Jar, Clear Rock Candy https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005FY5HCW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Z-t0Cb5JESX8N

The brown one is agrellan earth and the ones with black are agrellan earth that I put Abaddon black mixed with nuln oil onto while it dried.

The kind of cracks I've been wanting are the ones made by agrellan earth. I guess the clear crackle paint just can't get that going for me.

I think the clear crackle paint still works for cracked ice bases. I've liked how they have come out even though I was trying for the cracks agrellan earth produced.

SWftUg4.jpg

Stragint on
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Maybe you can apply the clear one in stages on different areas on the base instead of the whole base at the same time so doesn't get that radial cracking effect? Or maybe varying the thickness in places might help?

Although it does sem that it just doesn't contract as much as the paint based crackle mediums. Have you tried using a hairdryer on it? Maybe that gives a different effect?

honovere on
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Purple
    FYI: If you're using agrellan earth, you absolutely have to varnish it, or it will flake off.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Related: have you tried mixing a colour with your clear crackle goo? It might well change the properties enough to get what you want that way. Or it might do something else. Either way it would be good to find out, I think, just in case.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    I'll try doing the clear one in stages and see what happens when I mix colors. Hopefully I can get something interesting to happen.

Edit: mixing colors is not going well so far. I mixed paint right into it, tested on two bases. Both look like there is some kind of bubble forming underneath. Maybe I used too much paint or should have thinned it. Maybe it won't look awful tomorrow. I'll see if I can do another test run with thinned paint tomorrow before work.

Stragint on

• Options
    Purple
    The Blitzers for my Tomb Kings team are ready to see the light of day. These are converted WHFB Tomb Guard, and I think the only players on my team that aren't using some bits from somewhere else. I took a bit of inspiration from the Blood Bowl PC game in trying to use the khopesh-style weapons in a way that might be feasible on the field. Lots of cutting, drilling, and pinning to get these guys into these positions.

2ercd66mridr.jpg

auyo7578gar9.jpg

• Options
    Finally posting the finished knight. Finally had time to take some pictures. Only did the two weapons instead of taking pictures with all of them.
    pdPIwGR.jpg
    PCo6PxK.jpg
    MQKjWWJ.jpg
    SOyeewp.jpg

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Purple
    Nice ebay score just arrived:
    LoWHTb8m.jpgZm9JjC4m.jpg
    5myXgEhl.jpg

31 years old and still good as new.

• Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    Does anyone have any tips for achieving a really crude cast iron effect? I've got the new Chaos Space Marine kit and I'd like to make some of the shoulder pads have this look.

Scalecolor has a metallic called Black Metal (all their silver metallics are named for sub-genres of metal, incidentally) that is very dark. If you were to mix it with their black paint you would get the effect you're looking for as their paints are extremely matte.

https://youtu.be/KTfqCYAOo5A?t=1628 should be roughly where he starts making a cast iron paint job with an airbrush if you have one.

akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    A different, worse colour

https://youtu.be/KTfqCYAOo5A?t=1628 should be roughly where he starts making a cast iron paint job with an airbrush if you have one.

Just a heads up, but time stamps don't seem to work on embedded videos on these forums. 27 minutes & 8 seconds in is where the time stamp goes to if I copy and paste the url, although that doesn't seem to be the part you were referring to since he's just painted the grey exterior panels of the vehicle?

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    WatcherWatcher Registered User regular
    Stragint, nicely done! I do think those glowing runes work.

• Options
    Watcher wrote: »
    Stragint, nicely done! I do think those glowing runes work.

Thank you, I think that is the part I stress about the most so I really appreciate reading that.

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Working out a color scheme
    hi2at814hikw.jpg

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    I like the blue and the super-dirty bronze, not sold on the magenta though that may just be the lighting. (Looks great on the visor and just a little off everywhere else.) Maybe go with Khorne or Wazdakka Red instead of what I'm guessing is Blood for the Blood God?

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

Just a heads up, but time stamps don't seem to work on embedded videos on these forums. 27 minutes & 8 seconds in is where the time stamp goes to if I copy and paste the url, although that doesn't seem to be the part you were referring to since he's just painted the grey exterior panels of the vehicle?

Yeah, around there at 27:15 or so, he starts doing the little squiggles to kind of start a cast iron look. He should have other videos that show it too, sorry about the timestamp not working, didn't realize they don't work here.

akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    Purple
    Monwyn wrote: »
    I like the blue and the super-dirty bronze, not sold on the magenta though that may just be the lighting. (Looks great on the visor and just a little off everywhere else.) Maybe go with Khorne or Wazdakka Red instead of what I'm guessing is Blood for the Blood God?

I'm sold on the magenta, I think it looks great. Full disclosure: the RGB lighting in my PC case is a blend from blue to magenta, so...I might be bias?

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    The 'Contrast' mystery is revealed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E27sfjY3-0w

Looks kind of like a quickshade style thing?

• Options
    Hope there’s a nice light green in there. I really want to “finish” my ‘nids but endless gaunts…

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Guess I'm doing my Seraphon with that stuff.

• Options
    Looking at the photos of the range with test articles, I appear to be in luck; there is a light green and it looks to match my Tyranids pretty closely.

• Options
    Purple
    If this gets more painted models on the table for most people then I support it 100%.

• Options
    If this gets more painted models on the table for most people then I support it 100%.

Yeah, I'll definitely assembly-line my Seraphon with that stuff.

Some guy on FB is apparently there in the flesh, says this was all done with Contrast paints on light gray primer.

3qway7q71zea.png

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Purple
    I'd imagine the "Contrast" primer is a lot like Tamiya's gray fine surface primer: super smooth to allow for the paint to flow more like a wash.

The whole concept reminds me a lot of how I knocked out my stormtroopers and scout troopers for Star Wars Legion. If it works even half as well as that did for me then y'all are in for a treat.

EDIT: That photo is seriously spectacular. I'm pretty excited for this stuff; less to use it myself and more to see what people do with it.

Dr_Keenbean on
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The best part is the tagline on the warhammerfest blog.
    finally, one thick coat

• Options
    honovere wrote: »
    The best part is the tagline on the warhammerfest blog.
    finally, one thick coat

qa4f028xd1iy.png

• Options
    Purple
    I'm so glad I haven't already worked up the energy to paint all my zombies for Incursion now. This is exciting.

• Options
    Is there anything different about the primer they showed? I still have a full rattle can of the fang and half a rattle can of the fang and chaos black.

Hope this contrast paint works with other primers.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I was kind of confused yet I think I understand what it is

Still I would like to know more

This discussion has been closed.