As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Painting Miniatures] What colour is the best colour to paint your miniatures?

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    A different, worse colour
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I was kind of confused yet I think I understand what it is

Still I would like to know more

It's a combination basecoat and wash that only needs a single coat.

My guess is that it has a fairly low viscosity (for a smoother flow) but has a fuckload of pigment (for solid coverage with a single coat).

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Purple
    I foresee a new shade with every army release too to fill out the line. Seems neat but I think I'll stick to how I paint stuff now. Also aren't their official rattlecans like 20x the price of spraypaint? Is it any better? I feel like I get pretty smooth finishes with 1$ can's of white and black.

steam_sig.png
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    What would be some good stuff to use for a graveyard looking base? I have some Frostgrave models I want to base and I can't really find a video that matches what I'm looking for.

Edit: And then I get a notification from the Xenus Mini youtube channel doing a base in the theme of what I want.

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I foresee a new shade with every army release too to fill out the line. Seems neat but I think I'll stick to how I paint stuff now. Also aren't their official rattlecans like 20x the price of spraypaint? Is it any better? I feel like I get pretty smooth finishes with 1$ can's of white and black.

Their official cans are around $20 a piece (except the gold, which is around $30), which is batshit insane, but I have tried a few cheap cans and I have consistently gotten significantly better results from GW's paints. If I was going to be spraying 50 horde troop models black I'd get the cheaper can, but for anything else I just bite the bullet.

Everything I hear is that the real trick toward easy/cheap priming and basecoating is to invest in an airbrush though.

SmokeStacks on
    edited May 2019
    Anyone know a site/product I can find on ebay that has grave stones I can add onto a 32mm base?

Edit: I'm doing an undead theme for my Gravestone warband so I got some skeletons and stuff but also models in armor. Would it be better to prime them in grey or do a bone colored primer?

Stragint on
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited May 2019
    Stragint wrote: »
    Anyone know a site/product I can find on ebay that has grave stones I can add onto a 32mm base?

Edit: I'm doing an undead theme for my Gravestone warband so I got some skeletons and stuff but also models in armor. Would it be better to prime them in grey or do a bone colored primer?

Renedra has some stuff.

edit: greenstuffworld too.

Echo on
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Purple
    pewpew
    yuaJCjrm.jpgs8YKWD4m.jpg

In other fun news, I'm starting to notice my eyesight going so that's cool for trying to paint tiny things.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    Apparently reaper minis stuff doesn't need a coat of prime. Should I prime anyway?

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Purple

Their official cans are around $20 a piece (except the gold, which is around $30), which is batshit insane, but I have tried a few cheap cans and I have consistently gotten significantly better results from GW's paints. If I was going to be spraying 50 horde troop models black I'd get the cheaper can, but for anything else I just bite the bullet.

Everything I hear is that the real trick toward easy/cheap priming and basecoating is to invest in an airbrush though.

So for my ork army that I'm working on... I airbrush basecoated 30 ork boys (converted from AOS kits, so primaries scale) and 20 grots with like a tenth of a ten dollar bottle of Vallejo grey surface primer in about an hour and they look great.

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Purple
    Man my new lamp is wonderfully space and power saving but super terrible for taking pictures.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Purple
    pewpew
    yuaJCjrm.jpgs8YKWD4m.jpg

In other fun news, I'm starting to notice my eyesight going so that's cool for trying to paint tiny things.

Welcome to the club! Its a sad club. :bigfrown:

How did you do the disruptive pattern on those cloaks? I just ordered stencils so I could finally get it to look right on my scouts and eliminators.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    pewpew
    yuaJCjrm.jpgs8YKWD4m.jpg

Oh hey, this has started happening to me during the past month. Fortunately it's not affecting my ability to see mini details up close, but reading (especially on a screen) is getting problematic :/
    I've always been short sighted, but this feels different, so probably astigmatism.

Mayday on
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Purple
    My Throwers are finished sitting for their glamour shots and I'm ready to set up my Tomb Guardians to take photos of the last of my team tonight. The Throwers were the simplest conversions to make; they're just Reaper minis with a few hand swaps. I'm particularly happy with the one on the left, whom I've deemed Queen Nephvercheeti.

jgsuxaslbw04.jpg

uzl82p0cr6z8.jpg

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Purple
    Stragint wrote: »
    Apparently reaper minis stuff doesn't need a coat of prime. Should I prime anyway?

Talking about Reaper Bones: You don't have to prime it, but you can, BUT not all primers behave the same on them; some [edit: aerosol cans] have trouble drying, and remain tacky, which is not ideal.

I've had no problems airbrushing VSP onto my Bones figs, and I've also sprayed thinned VMC and VGC onto them directly for test models. It all seems to work out the same when you use an airbrush.

There used to be a post on Reaper's forums about primers, let me see if I can find it.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Purple
    One of my throwers is actually a Reaper Bones mini, and I spray-primed him with Army Painter leather brown, like I usually do for the rest of my minis. It ultimately worked out fine for me, but it did take on a slightly different texture and I can see why Reaper recommends skipping the primer altogether (it became glossy and very slightly tacky in places). I have previously painted a Bones mini without priming it at all and it worked fine.

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Purple

Everything I hear is that the real trick toward easy/cheap priming and basecoating is to invest in an airbrush though

Yes. I haven't touched a rattle can since I got my airbrush. It took me some time and experimentation to figure out how to lay a perfect coat on a model every time. It's time well spent and the quality of prime and base coat you'll get is worth the price of entry. That's before you learn to do other cool things with an airbrush like blending and soft highlights.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    More slight progress on a squad of Space Wolves. I really should finish them this weekend.
    Z7MA5lT.jpg

Based my warband. Gonna prime them using VSP bone. The dude with the scythe is really annoying. The scythe keeps bending down toward the head. Tried heating it up and adjusting it but it wont hold.
    0DFI2jk.jpg

Purple
    Sometimes with plastic that keeps warping back I just resort to cutting the piece and adjusting it by trimming. Although I wonder if it would be possible to work in a supporting wire somehow, and sell it as part of the scythe, or one of the ribbons/ropes draping down from it.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »

Everything I hear is that the real trick toward easy/cheap priming and basecoating is to invest in an airbrush though

Yes. I haven't touched a rattle can since I got my airbrush. It took me some time and experimentation to figure out how to lay a perfect coat on a model every time. It's time well spent and the quality of prime and base coat you'll get is worth the price of entry. That's before you learn to do other kill things with an airbrush like blending and soft highlights.

It is how the cans and why i have not painted the AdptC because of so much gold it's why i have been looking at airbrushes

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Couldn't decide which chapter shoulders to paint on my last two Space-Marine-Heroes-Come-Deathwatch, so I turned to an... alternate franchise

prv3hxdboemi.jpg
    House Dayne and House Martell, kek

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Purple
    Working on this guy right here. He'll be my first finished primaris marine. My... standard bearer, if you will.
    p0PT2wW.jpg
    Eo8ttUQ.jpg

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    edited May 2019
    I'm gonna finish those Space Wolves I took a picture of tomorrow. Maybe even the one I have setup for sub assembly that I've primed, based, and did a recess wash on.

Not really sure what to paint the warand. I primed them skeleton bone and painted the base mechanicus grey. Gotta figure out where to go from there.

I think I'm gonna try to do a nighthaunt thing. Black robes at the top with hexwraith flame at the bottom and green highlights.

Not sure what to do on the ones with armor though.

Stragint on

edited May 2019
    Purple
    I don't know what to do. When I put the Astronomican Grey on the giant circle in the middle of my banner, it goes on nice and smooth. Once i try to apply white, Ceramite White, to it, it is just streaky and has little gnarls or bumps where paint particles clumped together.

All I can think of is just to take a knife and scrape it all down to bare plastic, and start over with Surface Primer.

EDIT: I tried again and it somewhat worked and I'm calling it good even though I can still detect flaws. I need a couple more colors from home, so I'll finish it and post it tomorrow night. Plus I want to buy the grey basing paint form the FLGS tomorrow.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Ceramite White is notorious for being a crappy clumpy white. I’d go with Vallejo or P3 for whites, they seem a lot smoother. Alternatively, thin the ceramite down a bit with some white ink and do a couple very thin coats.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    Mayday wrote: »

Oh hey, this has started happening to me during the past month. Fortunately it's not affecting my ability to see mini details up close, but reading (especially on a screen) is getting problematic :/
    I've always been short sighted, but this feels different, so probably astigmatism.

At -8.00 with a reasonable cyl on top, I actually find it difficult to use my glasses for painting. I usually take them off, but hold the minis like, inches from my eyes.

Purple
    Can confirm: P3 Morrow White is probably the best commonly-available white paint.

@Badablack 's suggestion of thinning with white artist's ink is a good one too. They are shocking opaque.

Purple
    I never thought about thinning with ink. That's a great idea.

edited May 2019
    Purple
    e: Misread that statement.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited May 2019
    Tried to do a different kind of airbrush paint style. Tried one with hexwraith flame painted on first and then doing a top down airbrush of incubi darkness. I wasn't really into it. I then airbrushed incubi darkness top down and then did hexwraith flame at various angles and around the base of the model. I liked it more but I need to do a ton of touch up.

Not sure how I feel about this. Gonna finish it first before I decide whether to do my whole warband that way or not.

The plan right now is to paint the scale armor at the front probably a dark bronze, paint the sword, put mechanicus standard gray on the base again, do a nuln oil wash on the base and mix in some hexwraith flame while it is wet and spread that around the base on the model and then drybrush the rest of the mechanicus standard gray showing and call it done.
    fVkkN5Z.jpg
    iWBTyfe.jpg
    ZiKscX5.jpg
    etNjrVe.jpg

Stragint on

What I meant about not fully understanding the new contrast paints is the rumored/off hand comments about the primer as Stragint said do they work with the current ones or are they only for the new ones?

Brainleech wrote: »
    What I meant about not fully understanding the new contrast paints is the rumored/off hand comments about the primer as Stragint said do they work with the current ones or are they only for the new ones?

It has been sounding like the primer is a kind of gloss primer so the current primer I have probably wont work well with the contrast.

edited May 2019
    Purple
    From the video I saw the primer looks a lot, if not exactly, like this. It's not glossy, it's just very smooth so thinned paint slides right off it. It's ideal for a goopy paint with with lower opacity to flow into and darken recesses while tinting raised areas.

So basically exactly this.

EDIT: a little over a year ago I came up with a way to leverage the smoothness of the primer to speed paint some Legion minis. I don't remember the exact ratios I used but the end result was a semi-transparent paint/wash hybrid that did 75% of the work for me and didn't get splotchy like wash would have. I took a picture so I would remember the additives used along with the results. It never even occurred to me to try it with a different color but the theory is sound:
    GjDkafjh.jpg

Dr_Keenbean on
    Purple
    As excited as I am for Contrast, I'm less excited for using their primer. You can't ship GW aerosol cans via Canada post so my local game shop can't get them in, meaning driving an hour and a half to get to a GW shop that carries their aerosols, or paying a ton of shipping each time I need a can.

Hopefully the internet hive mind finds a cheap airbrush friendly alternative quickly, cuz I neeeeeed those contrast paints.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Purple
    Khraul wrote: »
    As excited as I am for Contrast, I'm less excited for using their primer. You can't ship GW aerosol cans via Canada post so my local game shop can't get them in, meaning driving an hour and a half to get to a GW shop that carries their aerosols, or paying a ton of shipping each time I need a can.

Hopefully the internet hive mind finds a cheap airbrush friendly alternative quickly, cuz I neeeeeed those contrast paints.

Just grab a regular jar and thin it down with airbrush flow improver? I doubt there will be colors that are spray can only, unless I missed an announcement.

edited May 2019
    Finished the first model for testing the paint scheme for my Frostgrave warband. I kind of like it but I feel like it is missing something.

Edit: Talked to my friend about the model. Decided I am gonna the green shade paint on the white highlights and maybe find a color to highlight to face for a more ethereal look. Not sure which one though.
    CekLfHb.jpg
    vPKi619.jpg
    xjWqNCK.jpg

Stragint on

edited May 2019
    Purple
    I'm trying this base for my new Primaris. I think if I keep it, I'll base my devastators and scouts this way. Most of my old tactical marines won't get updated because I can't see me using them anymore (poor guys!). This is Astrogranite Debris with a Drakenhof Nightshade wash and a drybrush of Longbeard grey. I was using Stirland Battlemire for a muddy look on the old marines.

New:
    r0K6ZmI.jpg

Old::
    iIo5kLt.jpg

I plan to use Nurgle's Rot in the little pools to look like some kind of toxic sludge.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    edited May 2019
    Purple

Just grab a regular jar and thin it down with airbrush flow improver? I doubt there will be colors that are spray can only, unless I missed an announcement.

A jar? Are they releasing that wraithbone primer in a pot as well as the aerosol can?

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Part of me is going to wait and see as I know they will have a bunch of demos on youtube with battle ready armies just to show off the color range and explain it to those that could not attend it

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Purple

The system requires a "magic" primer (only in rattlecan) + the actual paint (only in pots). So no color is spray only (or, indeed, spray at all), but you have to use a spray.

[Expletive deleted] on
    Sic transit gloria mundi.
This discussion has been closed.