As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A very big [house] in the country

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah largest downside to septic is dropping down to shitty basic 2 ply and not that quilted 3+ ply stuff.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Yeah largest downside to septic is dropping down to shitty basic 2 ply and not that quilted 3+ ply stuff.

I can't deal with super poofy TP. It's too much! I like my nice septic safe 2-ply.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I prefer wiping my ass with something soft, keep your paper bag toilet paper where it belongs: in the fucking toilet.

Oh, er, hmm.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    if you don't have a bidet in your house you're basically an uncivilized barbarian

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I prefer wiping my ass with something soft, keep your paper bag toilet paper where it belongs: in the fucking toilet.

Oh, er, hmm.

But washing the rabbits takes too much time. I'll stick with paper.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Thanks for all of the tips and info. It turns out that one of those homes in an unincorporated area is actually on Lake Michigan water and sewer instead of septic. And after my wife saw it today, it became one of her two favorites. Hurray! :P

I think we're done with looking at houses. We both have the same top 3 out of everything we looked at, which is shocking to me given our differing tastes and priorities. We might do another visit to each of the three all in one trip so we can compare them more reliably, but it's mostly down to debating the pluses and minuses to each and figuring out how to decide between them.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    Thanks for all of the tips and info. It turns out that one of those homes in an unincorporated area is actually on Lake Michigan water and sewer instead of septic. And after my wife saw it today, it became one of her two favorites. Hurray! :P

I think we're done with looking at houses. We both have the same top 3 out of everything we looked at, which is shocking to me given our differing tastes and priorities. We might do another visit to each of the three all in one trip so we can compare them more reliably, but it's mostly down to debating the pluses and minuses to each and figuring out how to decide between them.

It's like an episode of House Hunters, but not, you know, a lie.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3xDF16-_vg

a minor downturn in the toronto real estate market leads to all kinds of weird shit

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Five hundred thousand for little yellow house

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    A child with his t-shirt pulled up around his face Cornholio-style has just knocked on my door and then run away. However, he only knocked once, and the noise was indistinguishable from the normal settling sounds my house makes as the sun goes down.

This doorbell camera continues to raise more questions than it answers, and I'm okay with that.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    The only doorbell ditch I've had was the kids from across the street. You can see them going all they way up to their door when they run away.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Good news anyone! Our apple tree is making apples!
    sBxktOgl.jpg
    u5dY7dRl.jpg

None of them will be big enough to eat this year (is what we've been told to expect) but it's super exciting that the crazy one tree hybrid thing is working!

Bad news, a bunch of the leaves have bright yellow spots, so we've got to figure out what that is.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Discoloration like what you describe is usually fungal in nature. Apple trees are susceptible to cedar-apple rust, and some other rusts. Should be able to get a fungicide contact spray for apple trees pretty much anywhere. If you can't find one specifically formulated for apple trees, a broad-spectrum is probably fine too. It's been a particularly wet spring, so fungal stuff is going to be pretty hardcore this year.

• Options
    Old and busted:
    dsnqmxvrjbfo.png

New hotness:
    7lsiky3clivg.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Man, if a librarian saw what you were using books for, you might be in trouble.

• Options
    nothing's better than using old textbooks to elevate monitors don't @ me

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    For some reason, Demco sends us five identical copies of their catalog every year, all shrink-wrapped together. I don't know why they do it, but it's the perfect stand for my monitor at work.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    i'm having a hard time understanding what's going on, on the left side of the old picture, and now right side of the new picture.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    @bowen A properly adjusted chair and monitor stand is indeed superior than using old books.

• Options
    Kadith wrote: »
    i'm having a hard time understanding what's going on, on the left side of the old picture, and now right side of the new picture.

Equipment-wise? In the old picture I have my CPU and router behind my monitor, which are the two black monoliths visible to the left of the monitor. In the new picture, there's a UPS on top of the desk and my CPU under the desk on the right side of the picture. I might move the UPS under the desk if it starts bugging me, but I didn't have big plans for that back corner and it's nice to just be able to unplug my laptop without crawling under the desk when I want to take it somewhere.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    No, more like ...
    ms42g2fi1cad.png

WTF is this shit you got going on here???

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Discoloration like what you describe is usually fungal in nature. Apple trees are susceptible to cedar-apple rust, and some other rusts. Should be able to get a fungicide contact spray for apple trees pretty much anywhere. If you can't find one specifically formulated for apple trees, a broad-spectrum is probably fine too. It's been a particularly wet spring, so fungal stuff is going to be pretty hardcore this year.

That's what some quick Googling indicated, and also that the best time to spray is before the tree blossoms. Since we aren't worried about the fruit rotting this year we're going to keep an eye on it and then spray it down next spring.

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    No, more like ...
    ms42g2fi1cad.png

WTF is this shit you got going on here???

How should I know? It's a new desk. You don't choose the clutter that ends up covering your entire desk, the clutter chooses you.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    You should relocate that subwoofer under your desk too.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Work is beginning on our house!

They’re currently replacing the outer door/window beams. The beams at the back of the house have a few mushrooms growing in them.

• Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Looks like someone needs one of those monitor brackets and a few more monitors. Just go full Matrix on that desk.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    The work has begun.

HR2J3Vgh.jpg

Farewell, shitty 80's front conservatory.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    New desk update: I haven't hauled the old desk away yet, so it's still in its usual corner facing the door of my office. So far, I've walked into my office four times and thought "Shit, somebody's stolen my computer."

Edit: I just went to the kitchen to stir the chili and came back again. Five times.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I find myself wanting a SLIGHTLY bigger computer desk (Originally I had a L-shaped one but I broke it down to a single desk since we couldn't easily fit it anywhere in the house otherwise).

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    My life is a series of MacGuyver'd projects.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    just make sure it's more squared up than that knob/handle was ND

bowen on
  • Options
    2 hours mowing today and it's not even done. Ughhh. I was so covered in grass seed that I could have rolled around in a bare patch of dirt and had a lawn sprout up. We're also going through an unseasonable heat wave so all the fresh growth on the plants is getting scorched. It's going to be a rough one if we don't get some rain soon.

• Options
    you reminded me I gotta go deal with the last corner of my lawn that's covered in rotting leaves and sticks from who knows how long ago the previous owner left me

ugh

home ownership is dumb why did I do this

• Options
    you reminded me I gotta go deal with the last corner of my lawn that's covered in rotting leaves and sticks from who knows how long ago the previous owner left me

ugh

ugh

Honestly if I wasn't supremely lucky to have access to family property to live on, I would live in a tiny place with minimal yard/property in the city. Just give me a big two car garage to work on stuff.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Uuugh our house got up to 79 degrees Fahrenheit today, and that was keeping the curtains drawn (although admittedly we don’t have super heavy curtains).

Summer is going to be torture.

• Options
    Janson wrote: »
    Uuugh our house got up to 79 degrees Fahrenheit today, and that was keeping the curtains drawn (although admittedly we don’t have super heavy curtains).

Time to get a cabin in Gold Bar or Sedro Woolley like everyone else.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Janson wrote: »

Then obviously you need to keep moving north.

sig.gif
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »

Welp, offer made a few hours ago. On the unincorporated house that thankfully has Lake Michigan water and sewer.

Now we drink until we hear back, right?

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Oh maaaaaaan my landlord just installed a new gas stove to replace the gross and super old one.... and the new one is REALLY NICE. It even has a griddle in the middle! AHHH

• Options
    Oh maaaaaaan my landlord just installed a new gas stove to replace the gross and super old one.... and the new one is REALLY NICE. It even has a griddle in the middle! AHHH

I'm totally not jealous. Nope. Not at all.