As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[IT] Chapter 2 Out Now!! (Closed Spoilers for now)

• Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Just watched it and I liked it up until Pennywise became the main scare factor. I just couldn't take him seriously.
    I'd have also preferred a bit of mythos to him, like some sort of supernatural weakness that the kids have to employ rather than just, you know, beating him to death with sticks.

He does have this and they did employ it. The movie hints at it but doesn't make it super obvious.
    It feeds on fear and when they aren't afraid of It, It is vulnerable. At least, when they're together. If they're separated their bond doesn't protect them as well and they can't be as brave in the face of the horror. When they're all together, they can shoot It with an unloaded bolt gun and still do damage. Presumably part 2 will expand further on this.

Given that the Dark Tower mythology is present in a lot of King's work, including IT, I've always thought of Bev as kind of a fledgling Gunslinger and the Losers as her ka-tet (a group bound by fate, stronger than the sum of its parts). This is much more apparent in the book, partly because the slingshots were left out of the movie.
    Even the Losers' ability to harm Pennywise corresponds to a literal interpretation of Roland's litany ("I shoot with my mind... I kill with my heart"); you have to believe you can hurt the monster.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    No, the pharmacist is not Stephen King, and I didn't notice him in the movie at all. Same with Dark Tower.

He's old as balls, and one of the most visually distinct people. You know him when you see him.

He's the Clint Howard of authors.

• AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    If King is in this movie, he could be the weird thin, but not IT clown in the background during the carnaval where they discuss IT for the first time, but that could also have been Skarsgard.

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    King was Beverly

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    King was Beverly

The CGI was super good.

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    "This kids leaking hamburger helper over here".

I don't know why they kept picking on the fat kid's stomach.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I forgot - what year does the movie take place in?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    '89 I think

Should be roughly 27 years earlier than now

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular

It's what kids do.

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Alphagaia wrote: »

It's what kids do.

I meant the constant physical slashing to it, not the kids.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Not sure if posted but Express UK announced the sequel date a bit ago:
    Since it’s release earlier this month, the IT movie has made over £350 million worldwide and become the biggest horror movie of all time – topping The Exorcist’s record from 1973.

Seeing as the film was only the first half of Stephen King’s iconic novel, fans have been wondering when the sequel will be arriving.

Director Andy Muschietti has said the script should be completed by January 2018 and now a release date has been revealed.

According to Deadline, IT movie part 2 will be released on September 6, 2019.

Not surprised about the date since they only green lit it after the first part was released, but dang does that feel far away. They better record the scenes with the kids fast before they get too big.

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    That looks horrifying.

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    That looks spooky in the right way. The build, just enough time for the unease to settle in before lurching onto the next step.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Matev wrote: »
    That looks spooky in the right way. The build, just enough time for the unease to settle in before lurching onto the next step.

Which is often how King's novels feel. This constant build of dread and unease just lurking around the corner and beneath the surface.

That entire scene with the old woman was like a King chapter brought to life.

• Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I dunno, that looked more funny than scary. I think that old lady was doing the rowboat in the background.

• UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    I really like that trailer, but if I want to be a pedantic internet person I would say that one of the most effective aspects of that part of the book is how normal everything is until it isn't. Both Beverly and the reader go through that transition together which is scary and really puts you in her head space. Having the old woman do the weird lurch before they sit down for tea kind of let's the audience know not everything is great maybe too soon. Then again, the scene in the film could be edited completely differently then the trailer.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I think some of the most effectively horrifying scenes can have a kind of comical edge to them.

The old lady's behavior is kind of humorous because it's so bizarre. But that's also what makes it unsettling.

It's like the uncanny valley. Something isn't quite right, but there's no overt threat... yet.

RT800 on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    The last movie took a new twist on IT than the book and the previous movie. Their version is just barely able to keep up the illusion of being human.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    The last movie took a new twist on IT than the book and the previous movie. Their version is just barely able to keep up the illusion of being human.

It's been decades since I read the book, and while I liked Tim Curry's Pennywise, I think this one is just great. It's a feral predator going through motions to appear human.

Echo wrote: »

It's been decades since I read the book, and while I liked Tim Curry's Pennywise, I think this one is just great. It's a feral predator going through motions to appear human.

With a healthy whiff of the eldritch

• SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    Of course what you all need to remember about Mrs. Kersh is that her daddy, Bob Grey, shat her out his asshole.

It's really the key to her whole arch.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    I'm hoping for the best. I feel like one of the few people who really didn't care for the 1st installment. I think I might just be too locked into the TV version I grew up on with (with John Ritter and Tim Curry).

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I think the original series did the friendship a bit better but the newer film did the horror 10000x better.
    I'm pumped for this.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Looks like they reworked the adult roles a little. Didn't see Eddie at all, but Mike is around a lot. IIRC they gave a bunch of Mike's stuff to Ben in the first movie, so he's kindof a blank slate here.

Oh brilliant
    Yeah I'm not a big fan of the way they gave Mike's role over to Ben. I don't understand the reason for it. It seems like a change just for change's sake.

• UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Yeah the other thing that reduces Mike's role is cutting most of the racism aspects from the book. Racism is a huge part of the book's theme of the hidden darkness of small town America and it's been a little bit since I've seen the movie but there is little to no references to it.

One of the most haunting parts of the book is (book spoiler)
    when the bully tortures and murders Mike's dog.
    This was so repulsive that even though it's been years since I read the book I still remember it vividly.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I'm in the minority here but I found the kids in IT annoying as hell for the most part, and was usually rooting for the clown because of it.

That said, I'm looking forward to the sequel more because the annoying kids aren't in it.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I'm in the minority here but I found the kids in IT annoying as hell for the most part, and was usually rooting for the clown because of it.

That said, I'm looking forward to the sequel more because the annoying kids aren't in it.

The kids are definitely going to be in the sequel too, aren't they? Not as much, but some.

Also the kids were awesome.

• Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I thought the kids carried the weight of the movie, because the oppressive dread wasn't strong enough to match the book or the mini series. They had to be good to overcome the deficit.

edited July 2019
    First Poster:

vcw61oebewqw.png

KoopahTroopah on
    Pennywise's wandering eye bugs me.

Not in a "scary" way.

Just in a... "I don't know where he's looking and can't look him in the eye" way.

I thought the kids carried the weight of the movie, because the oppressive dread wasn't strong enough to match the book or the mini series. They had to be good to overcome the deficit.

Aside from Tim Curry the miniseries is rul bad

edited July 2019
    "Hello". New (final) trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhJ5P7Up3jA

Casting for the grown-up losers looks to be really amazing, but again I hope it jumps back and forth as it seems to be doing in these trailers.

KoopahTroopah on
  • delf4delf4 Registered User regular
    It looked like there was a clip of the clubhouse the kids build in the book so I wonder if we are going to get the smoke vision seen of IT arriving.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited July 2019

Aside from Tim Curry the miniseries is rul bad

When I saw it the first time, when I was like 10 years old, it freaked me out.

Then I saw it again when I was a teenager and I laughed for the duration.

jungleroomx on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I went and saw this twice, and I don’t really get all the mixed reviews. I thought it was fantastic. Obviously there are going to be changes from the book or the original Tim Curry miniseries. Bill Skarsgård does a fucking incredible job being a monster loosely draped in a clown skin.

If there was one thing that I feel was a bit off it’s that the overall thesis of the two movies could have been more tightly presented. But for a 3-hour roller coaster of scares, laughs, and even some tearjerkers, it’s great fun and you should all go see it.

Yeah, I heard the major complaint is run-time. My dad and sister really liked it, but agreed it was looooong. I might see it tomorrow, but I wanted to go with my partner and she hasn't even watched Chapter 1 yet.