As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Thread Bombed From Orbit [Closed]

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    lazegamer wrote: »
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Remember the other night where I said I saw a MRM40 Raven Huginn? Well I went a bit overboard and came up with a MRM20, MRM10, 1LAMS (for the extra match points), and 1JJ build that is pretty crazy.

AD2930T0|Cd|PGpJ0|i^|X@qJ0|Y@|_@r40s40tP0|GP|HPuP0|GPvA0|GPw806060
    HUGINN

I went for almost full cooldown plus missile nodes, most of the speed tweaks, Ops to get full cool run, and seismic plus radar derp.
    a9f7f9fcbfe5875560b0000008062303cf3730000e80e633e21c330000000

I have to say it is hilarious to run. I was going to run the MRM 40 build, but discovered that the missile tubes on the Huginn are split to have 10 and 20. So to optimize the missile stream it is best to run the 20 and 10. It is pretty decent since it can dish out some crazy damage and runs at 120.2KPH.

Do missile tubes affect the stream speed of MRM's? I didn't think I had to consider that for their placement.

Not sure about the MRMs since they come out in streams, but it used to affect the SRMs and LRMs making them come out in smaller clumps.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    I think they fixed most of the tube issue, so that any launcher except a LRM won't have any problems with the number of tubes.
    The exception is the Pretty baby and the CT tube on the quickdraw, which can't fire SMR6s.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    Battletech: Just got my first Atlas! Killed the pilot by coincidence in a 4.5-skull Battle, and then lucked out again in the salvage by getting all the pieces.

I suppose I also lucked out that their reinforcements were a Quickdraw, Trebuchet, and Shadow Hawk, as only one of those has any real bite or staying power.

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Haven't seen a match like this in a while:
    9nv78n9aqc18.jpg

Not the 12-0 part, look at the tonnages there.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    That's about as close a weight-based match as I've ever seen.

Also, I like the lack of assaults.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Tonnages aside, I'm marveling at that BJ-2 putting out nearly 900 damage.

Erlkönig wrote: »

655 tons on both sides.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    edited May 2019

655 tons on both sides.

Oh? Did I get a mech's tonnage wrong? I got 650 - 660

EDIT - ah ha! I did get one wrong (I was thinking the Mad Dog was a 65t mech, whoops)! Looks like it was 650 v 655

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    Dark_Side wrote: »

Yeah. Since the screenshot doesn't have a map or time played it's all guesswork. But there are three builds that could do that kind of damage with a BJ-2.
    1. The 4xMRM10 build. High DPS, mid range. Can shoot&scoot pretty well. Probably not the build played since it tends to do best against assaults.
    2. The 4xSRM4+2xMedium pulse (or 2xML/ERML). Possible. Requires terrible opponents because the BJ-2 is not a tough mech. Does have really good DPS.
    3. The 2xPPC/LPL build. Requires a long match, but the BJ-2 is a great mech for long range peeking. High mounted guns, small profile, can mount jumpjets, good heat management, energy cooldown bonus. Give a LPL BJ-2 3 minutes of people who don't think that it's a sufficient threat and it will deal 900 damage.

Yeah. Since the screenshot doesn't have a map or time played it's all guesswork. But there are three builds that could do that kind of damage with a BJ-2.
    1. The 4xMRM10 build. High DPS, mid range. Can shoot&scoot pretty well. Probably not the build played since it tends to do best against assaults.
    2. The 4xSRM4+2xMedium pulse (or 2xML/ERML). Possible. Requires terrible opponents because the BJ-2 is not a tough mech. Does have really good DPS.
    3. The 2xPPC/LPL build. Requires a long match, but the BJ-2 is a great mech for long range peeking. High mounted guns, small profile, can mount jumpjets, good heat management, energy cooldown bonus. Give a LPL BJ-2 3 minutes of people who don't think that it's a sufficient threat and it will deal 900 damage.

HPG Manifold, I can get the time for the match when I get back to my PC (sorry, had to do a quick and dirty crop to cut out the names).

• IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    Battletech: What is with Defend Base missions starting with enemies in striking distance of the base, but positioned so you can't possibly tag them to draw their aggression? Being literally unable to stop them from immediately taking out at least one structure is a complete turn-off from ever touching the mission type.

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
    Nobody wrote: »

HPG Manifold, I can get the time for the match when I get back to my PC (sorry, had to do a quick and dirty crop to cut out the names).

Was just under 5 minutes for the match time.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    IceBurner wrote: »
    Battletech: What is with Defend Base missions starting with enemies in striking distance of the base, but positioned so you can't possibly tag them to draw their aggression? Being literally unable to stop them from immediately taking out at least one structure is a complete turn-off from ever touching the mission type.

That sort of situation is basically why I completely refuse to not run my entire lance with jumpjets, so I can at least usually try to get a mech out there before a building gets smoked by enemies I can't see.

Fortunately, losing a single building is almost never a problem. Even the bonus credits you lose out on aren't that much, should you manage to not lose another building the whole rest of the fight.

HPG manifold, 5 minutes, 12-0 and a BJ-2 deals almost 900 damage.
    That settles it, the losing side were absolute chumps. Because no matter how you play, if a BJ-2 dealt that much damage, in that little time then it was no slow and methodical sweep. It was an all out murderball rush (in which a soft and broad target like a BJ-2 should be the priority).

edited May 2019
    On a side note, I did the medium mech challenge.

Shadow Cat? I owned one and and got the required kills easily.
    Stormcrow? Trial mech has 5 cMPL. I can easily work with those. Done in one.
    Cicada? Trial mech has 6 ML. Took like, 2-3 attempts to pull it off, but finally got two kills in the last one and every one was a win.
    Vindicator? Trial mech has 2 PPC and 1 ML. Holy shit what a fiasco. I didn't even care after I lost the last one because I finally got kills and it was finally over.

Nobody on

Cicada? Trial mech has 6 ML. Took like, 2-3 attempts to pull it off, but finally got two kills in the last one and every one was a win.
    Vindicator? Trial mech has 2 PPC and 1 ML. Holy shit what a fiasco. I didn't even care after I lost the last one because I finally got kills and it was finally over.

Yeah. The vindicator champion loadout is awful. There are great Vindicator builds out there None of them involve PPCs or XL295 engines.

edited May 2019
    Yeah, the problem was that I had no intention of ever using a Vindicator after this (Stormcrow or Cicada? Maaaaaaaybe), so buying and outfitting one just for 3 days of premium time was not going to happen.

EDIT: At least looking ahead I'll just need to use the Cataphract (which has an AC/20 and several ML) and Highlander IIC (dual UAC/10s and dual LPLs). Both of which I think I can work with.

Nobody on
    So, I'm trying to get through this Medium day thing. One match with the Shadow Cat and I've got it (love running 3xSRM6+A and a pair of ERMLs on this thing). One match with the Stormcrow (my light-hunter) and I've got it. Took about 3 matches with my Vindicator (4xML + MRM30), but I got it. Now I just need to wrap it up with a Cicada...and I happen to have one that I've never taken out of the hangar! It's...um...the Loyalty -3F. As soon as I look at the hardpoints and armor, I know exactly why I haven't taken it out yet.

Grit my teeth through a dozen matches. I think I manage to break 200 damage once (most matches end with my damage somewhere between 80 and 150)...and that was the game where I finally managed to get a KMDD. I am now very tempted to sell off the Cicada because, holy shit...I've piloted some not great mechs...but that Loyalty Cicada is downright garbage-tier.

• KelorKelor Registered User regular
    I finally figured out the cause for the infinite loading screens so I'll probably get back into Battletech.

Unfortunately the solution involved me deleting the save files so blegh.

• monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I did the Vindicator last. I legged, but then was subsequently killed by a Flea, got the KMDD anyways. What I learned:
    PPCs have a minimum range. I pumped over a dozen of them into that Flea, just baffled that the net code or lag was just ruining my night. Went into mech bay after the match- 90m? homersimpson.wav

I bought a Champion, got the kill, got annoyed with it, sold it, looked at them more the next day, bought a different one. I want to try 2SRM6 and 2Flamer. Also bought a Grinner.
    I really want a Shadow Cat, too, but I'm a little uncomfortable with the lack of torso hardpoints in the ECM versions, so I'll skip it for now.

I hit an 800 damage game in a Summoner- I matched the cooldowns with (I think) MPL and SRM6, and have an LBX10. Mining Colony, I jumped over the center platform and just rolled right through a King Crab, Fafnir, Timberwolf, and a few others too small to notice. I think it was a 12-1 smashing.

monkeykins on
    So, I'm trying to get through this Medium day thing. One match with the Shadow Cat and I've got it (love running 3xSRM6+A and a pair of ERMLs on this thing). One match with the Stormcrow (my light-hunter) and I've got it. Took about 3 matches with my Vindicator (4xML + MRM30), but I got it. Now I just need to wrap it up with a Cicada...and I happen to have one that I've never taken out of the hangar! It's...um...the Loyalty -3F. As soon as I look at the hardpoints and armor, I know exactly why I haven't taken it out yet.

Grit my teeth through a dozen matches. I think I manage to break 200 damage once (most matches end with my damage somewhere between 80 and 150)...and that was the game where I finally managed to get a KMDD. I am now very tempted to sell off the Cicada because, holy shit...I've piloted some not great mechs...but that Loyalty Cicada is downright garbage-tier.

I think I made my Cicada an ERPPC build, will have to look at it again. Could never get into the Cicada like other people here could, but it isn't that bad of a mech.

Think I'm going to pass on the medium challenge just because I don't want to try out the Trial Vindicator. Plus apparently I have a bunch of Premium Time running from the MW5 pre-order.

oosik_betsuni.png

I think I made my Cicada an ERPPC build, will have to look at it again. Could never get into the Cicada like other people here could, but it isn't that bad of a mech.

Think I'm going to pass on the medium challenge just because I don't want to try out the Trial Vindicator. Plus apparently I have a bunch of Premium Time running from the MW5 pre-order.

Oh, no I get that there are Cicadas that are pretty good.

But the Cicada-3F is not one of them.

The build in that link is what I used to finally get a single KMDD.

• monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    I think I got 2 or 3 kills/KMDD with the trial Cicada? I got lucky and found myself with another Medium and one of our two total Heavies on the outer edge of Canyon as enemy mechs came around a corner toward us one at a time. I'm usually on the other side of those- I'll think "hmm, all my teammates are moving to the center, I'll see what's over on the left here..." and run into three enemy mechs.

Same general experience when I was running that challenge. That Vindi loadout seems custom built for a pop tarting, long range sniper, which unless you got the right map, mad aim skills, and the skill tree filled out, is hard build to collect kills with. I got extremely lucky by catching a softened up Marauder II in a box on Mining Collective to finish the challenge.

monkeykins wrote: »
    I think I got 2 or 3 kills/KMDD with the trial Cicada? I got lucky and found myself with another Medium and one of our two total Heavies on the outer edge of Canyon as enemy mechs came around a corner toward us one at a time. I'm usually on the other side of those- I'll think "hmm, all my teammates are moving to the center, I'll see what's over on the left here..." and run into three enemy mechs.

Yeah, while I was slogging match after match in the -3F, I was thinking to myself "I should really just use the trial." Instead, I was trying every loadout I could think of to get the -3F to work:

2xERML + 1xLL
    1xERPPC + 2xML
    2xERLL
    1xSnub-PPC + 2xML
    4xMPL

Nothing clicked. Even that 4xMPL that finally got a KMDD...I spent the entire match muttering "2 more MPLs sure would be nice right about nows."

Oh well. To cleanse my palate, I dropped in a Bara-build Hellfire for my last match of the night/morning (it was 4am). 4 kills (2 solo), 2 KMDD, 5 assists...550 damage dealt. One of those kills was a Highlander IIC (boating LRMs and having a trio of HLLs...he, predictably, overheat shutdowned himself, which made it easier to line up shots with the Ultra-20 and get full HML laser burns on single components).

Yeah think that's why I run mine with 2ERPPCs... It just doesn't have the punch of a medium. More like a weak light at this point as well.

oosik_betsuni.png
    edited May 2019

Yeah think that's why I run mine with 2ERPPCs... It just doesn't have the punch of a medium. More like a weak light at this point as well.

I eyeballed that build...but I just can't bring myself to mount an XL engine in an IS mech that doesn't have at least either/both armor quirks or can mount ECM. So many times last night where I lost a side torso and people were surprised to see my mech still moving and shooting back.

EDIT - oh, the other thing I was trying to avoid was pour any cbills into that chassis. So I was just building off of equipment that I had on hand already (things like a 300LFE, for example)

Erlkönig on

I eyeballed that build...but I just can't bring myself to mount an XL engine in an IS mech that doesn't have at least either/both armor quirks or can mount ECM. So many times last night where I lost a side torso and people were surprised to see my mech still moving and shooting back.

EDIT - oh, the other thing I was trying to avoid was pour any cbills into that chassis. So I was just building off of equipment that I had on hand already (things like a 300LFE, for example)

Pfft, like you need to save the cbills. But I agree I don't dump money into mechs I won't pilot.

This weekend I bought two more Commandos. The one with ECM and the 1B to relive my early days. Was going to slap in a LRM 5 and 3ML to remember my beginnings. But I might upgrade it to a MRM10 and some SLs or something like that for the laughs.

oosik_betsuni.png
    edited May 2019
    monkeykins wrote: »
    I did the Vindicator last. I legged, but then was subsequently killed by a Flea, got the KMDD anyways. What I learned:
    PPCs have a minimum range. I pumped over a dozen of them into that Flea, just baffled that the net code or lag was just ruining my night. Went into mech bay after the match- 90m? homersimpson.wav

I bought a Champion, got the kill, got annoyed with it, sold it, looked at them more the next day, bought a different one. I want to try 2SRM6 and 2Flamer. Also bought a Grinner.
    I really want a Shadow Cat, too, but I'm a little uncomfortable with the lack of torso hardpoints in the ECM versions, so I'll skip it for now.

I hit an 800 damage game in a Summoner- I matched the cooldowns with (I think) MPL and SRM6, and have an LBX10. Mining Colony, I jumped over the center platform and just rolled right through a King Crab, Fafnir, Timberwolf, and a few others too small to notice. I think it was a 12-1 smashing.

Because of the omnipod system, you can have the ECM left torso, and a right torso that has a weapon hardpoint or two(edit-nope, just checked to verify...at most, you can have one weapon hardpoint with the right torso). Personally, this is my current Shadow Cat build.

I call it the "Alley Cat"

Erlkönig on
    I'm fairly sure the Cicada-3F is "That mech that is in pretty much every way worse than the CDA-3M"

I never really understood Cicadas. It's a medium mech with the firepower and resiliency of a light. I can't think of any case in a lance that it makes more sense to take a Cicada over nearly any other light mech. Though I will say the champion available for the challenge was actually decent enough with its 5 medium lasers.

Think that was the case, where you want the added tonnage of armor of the Cicada but have it act like a light. Isn't it like 35 tons?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Think that was the case, where you want the added tonnage of armor of the Cicada but have it act like a light. Isn't it like 35 tons?

Jenner is 35, Cicada is 40

The 3F loses a lot for the ability to mount jumpjets.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski

Cicada = 40t

With the largest engine it can handle, it'll scamper around at 138kph and (some variants) do get jumpjets.

35t is still in light mech territory. And, incidentally, the Cicada (at least the -3F) has the same armor of those 35t lights. And is slower. And has a larger target profile.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    So what does it buy you that other lights don't have?

Orca wrote: »

Misery, anger, and bitter tears?

Seriously, though, it came with a 320XL engine...so that'll sell for a pretty penny. Also, because the one I have is the Loyalty version, it'll also give an additional 30% cbills for all matches played (useful for still getting 100k on a curb stomp).

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited May 2019

A Cicada of course!

Wakka wakka!

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    edited May 2019

Nothing. I always end up comparing the Cicada to the Jenner, and about the only thing it can do better than the Jenner is as a dedicated PPC carrier.

Dark_Side on

Nothing. I always end up comparing the Cicada to the Jenner, and about the only thing it can do better than the Jenner is as a dedicated PPC carrier.

Sure, the Cicada can mount a pair of ERPPCs...but the Jenner can still rock with twin-snub nosed.

Dang, I gotta try that build. Looks risky (fun) as hell.