As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Formula One & motorsport] Round 16, Russia: In Soviet Russia, V12 drives you!

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    And it even does the almost constant mobile game trope of having a pretty girl prominently overlaid on at least one screenshot.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Resubbed into iRacing and picked up the F3. Hope to run the next season, at least as much as possible.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    You do know that if you take off the aero it takes 3x as long to stop, theyre acceleration would drop as the aero pushing the rear end is what allows the tires to not spin under the massive torque, and they're turning speed would be halved at best?

You are basically asking for NASCAR

Wait, NASCAR went open-wheel? When did that happen?

• Options
    It would be interesting to see a racing series that forced teams to disclose their developments at the end of a season. It would make catching up much faster, cheaper, and force teams to keep innovating.

I don't think it would be top of the line racing (because engineering secrets), but it has the potential to have interesting racing.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Didn't say get rid of the engineering, though.
    Just the ridiculous aero. When cars are producing double their weight in downforce then of course overtaking is going to be completely fucked, no matter how you try to work around the problem.

The aero is a huge part of the engineering? Like, a massive part. If you take away their aero, they aren't really F1 cars anymore, as far as we've known them since the late 70's. You also neuter their cornering speed which is the opposite of what I want to see. When I watch an F1 car go around a track I want to be wowed. I want to wonder how it stuck through some of the corners. I want the change of direction to make my mouth open in disbelief.

Again, if I want to watch close racing where the cars are designed specifically to create that, I have many options. F1 and LMP1-H are pretty much the only place to see high HP, high down force, monsters chew up courses at blistering rates. The fact that F1 is an "engineers series" as much as a drivers one is a plus to me, not a negative.

If F1 cars have to have special "go faster" buttons (DRS) to make it possible to overtake then the series is dying, as far as I am concerned.

As for aero being a huge part of the engineering, yeah, it's literally all of the aerodynamics engineering. You can get rid of most of it (go back to the cigar-shaped cars of the 1960s, hell yeah!) and still keep the chassis, suspension, braking, engine, gearbox, differential, electronics and tyre engineering.

Fuck, even let them keep a little of the aero - make it so the cars are randomly wind-tunnel tested multiple times per season to ensure they do not make any more than 33% of their start line weight in downforce at any speed.

I really think while the aero/tires are definetly an issue, I think a lot of the regs are really what has caused the issue. DRS is a "go faster" button, but I'd characterize it more as the single "advanced" feature the teams are allowed to have. My issue is less that the cars have a "go faster" button, than that the cars have only one "go faster" button, and its saddled with all the zones, 1s gap, enabled/disabled, restrictions. You don't think every engineer on pit lane doesn't have 4 more go fast button ideas that they'd put in tomorrow if the reg's allowed it.

I've been listening to Adrian Newey's autobiography "How to Build a Race Car: The Autobiography of the World’s Greatest Formula 1 Designer" and its a pretty good listen. Lots of interesting historical tidbits, parts of it strike me as a bit maybe insincere or performative. Some stuff about Senna, some other bits, where he seems maybe to be saying a bit more of what people maybe expect him to say rather than the truth. "I'm still bothered/haunted/saddened by X" rather than "Bad thing X was over two decades ago and I don't really think about it" or "It's 20 years and me and so-and-so have put it behind us" rather than "I still hold a grudge over so and so's dirty move in the 97 Albania GP"

But if you are looking for something to read/listen to it's pretty good stuff. And given his back ground as an aero guy, it sort of walks you from basically the late 70s Wings Wings Wings, to at least the late 90s(I haven't finished it yet, so I'm not sure where the end point is). And the general regulation changes over time.

He covers in the book all the features on the early 90s Williams FW15C car that got murdered by reg changes - probably(definitely) at Ferrari's behest. Active suspension, traction control, CVT, 4 wheel steering , launch control, variable ride height control that was like a psuedo DRS.

You have this laundry list of other areas they can develop if they bin aero, but most of that development got killed in 94. No one can come out with new and truly game changing ideas because they won't pass spec.

If you told every F1 team, "build me the best paper airplane" and let them go at it you'd end up with some crazy paper airplanes at the end, some of which might really stretch what "paper" and "airplane" mean. If you tell them" Build me a paper airplane using 1 continuous uncut piece of 50 weight paper exactly 18" by 12", with no less than 6 and no more than 16 folds, that must fit in a box no HxWxL, and must be at least MxN in cross section, and have a HtoW ratio of atleast .45234, with no more than 2 wings, whose nose must be no less than 2 mm in radius(safety don't want to lose an eye),"

You'll get something cool probably, and maybe it's more impressive to find differentiation inside of all those constraints, but it won't be as varied and it will all be much more similar to a text book "paper airplane". And they've basically done the later on every component of the car.

Here's the rules summary from F1 on Steering and Suspension
    Formula 1 cars must have conventional sprung suspension.

Any powered device which is capable of altering the configuration or affecting the performance of any part of any suspension system is forbidden.

Interconnected suspension systems are not allowed. As such, suspension fitted to the front wheels must be so arranged that its response results only from changes in load applied to the front wheels, and likewise for the rear wheels.

Any system, such as active suspension, that can alter the suspension or its geometry while the car is moving is forbidden.

Suspension members must have a symmetrical profile for the majority of their length.

There may be no more than six suspension members connecting each suspension upright to the fully sprung part of the car.

Non-structural parts of suspension members are considered bodywork.

Each wheel must be tied to the body of the car by three tethers. No more than two tethers may be contained within a single suspension member and each tether must have its own attachment at either end. The tethers must meet specific tensile strength requirements and are designed to stop the wheels coming loose from the car in the event of an accident or suspension failure.

The tethers and their attachments must also be designed in order to help prevent a wheel making contact with the driver's head during an accident.

Power steering systems are allowed, but these must not be electronically controlled or powered. Four-wheel steering is forbidden.

The car’s steering wheel, steering column and steering rack all have to pass an FIA impact test.

A couple of those are obvious safety items(tethers, impact tests, etc). But most of that is the FIA taking what were once prominent or maybe dominant areas of development/differentiation and walling them off completely. E: And notice how it restricts the adaptability of the car, they can't move/bend/twist/adjust they just are. The cars that are by rule built to be as static as possible are not able to cope well with dynamic conditions is about as unsurprising as something can be.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Remember what happened last time Hamilton started second in spain?

https://youtu.be/j28f3hhbkI8

F2 Race 1 is live now, streaming off of ESPN3

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Mercedes is just murdering everyone else.
    Amazing start by Hamilton

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    Hamilton on form is great to see. Merc are absolutely killing it this season so far. Their development seems to be working, as an organisation they're practically faultless and their aero is top of the field. If not for the safety car I reckon Hamilton would have finished somewhere between 10-15 seconds ahead of Bottas.

Ferrari... oh dear. First off their development has paled in comparison to Merc. In testing they were comfortably ahead at the same track and now they're falling into the grasp of Red Bull. It's made all the more confusing by bringing an engine upgrade early to a track that isn't big on engine power. Strategically they made a mess of it any time their drivers were close on track. I genuinely don't know how hard it is for them to figure this out. If I were in their position, I'd just tell Leclerc that, barring a significant shift in championship positions, he's the #2 driver for the season. What I'd mean by this is: you don't screw Leclerc over with weird off-strategy moves or use him as a blocker, but if Vettel has closed in on you, he gets through quickly and without issue. Likewise if you're faster and behind Vettel, you get through with the proviso that unless you can do something with it he gets the place back. By not acting decisively and immediately Ferrari threw away any chance of challenging.

For some reason practically the entire midfield disappointed me today. Haas had the pace for the day but shouldn't ever be let near other cars. Sainz had a nice recovery but McLaren's pace was weak for most of the race. Toro Rosso probably had the most impressive drive of the midfield teams but got unfortunate with SC chaos.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    The start issue has shown how good Hamilton really is. He had one bad start this year, in Australia, and every start since has been faultless. He's basically won two races because of his starts. Amazing how he saw a weakness and then went and made it a strength in the span of a couple weeks.
    altid wrote: »
    Hamilton on form is great to see. Merc are absolutely killing it this season so far. Their development seems to be working, as an organisation they're practically faultless and their aero is top of the field. If not for the safety car I reckon Hamilton would have finished somewhere between 10-15 seconds ahead of Bottas.

Ferrari... oh dear. First off their development has paled in comparison to Merc. In testing they were comfortably ahead at the same track and now they're falling into the grasp of Red Bull. It's made all the more confusing by bringing an engine upgrade early to a track that isn't big on engine power. Strategically they made a mess of it any time their drivers were close on track. I genuinely don't know how hard it is for them to figure this out. If I were in their position, I'd just tell Leclerc that, barring a significant shift in championship positions, he's the #2 driver for the season. What I'd mean by this is: you don't screw Leclerc over with weird off-strategy moves or use him as a blocker, but if Vettel has closed in on you, he gets through quickly and without issue. Likewise if you're faster and behind Vettel, you get through with the proviso that unless you can do something with it he gets the place back. By not acting decisively and immediately Ferrari threw away any chance of challenging.

For some reason practically the entire midfield disappointed me today. Haas had the pace for the day but shouldn't ever be let near other cars. Sainz had a nice recovery but McLaren's pace was weak for most of the race. Toro Rosso probably had the most impressive drive of the midfield teams but got unfortunate with SC chaos.
    What's worse, they didn't even know their drivers were on different strategies at one point! LeClerc's engineer was saying one thing and Vettel's another. It's like they weren't even communicating during the race. You would never see Mercedes be that discombobulated.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    The start issue has shown how good Hamilton really is. He had one bad start this year, in Australia, and every start since has been faultless. He's basically won two races because of his starts. Amazing how he saw a weakness and then went and made it a strength in the span of a couple weeks.

What's worse, they didn't even know their drivers were on different strategies at one point! LeClerc's engineer was saying one thing and Vettel's another. It's like they weren't even communicating during the race. You would never see Mercedes be that discombobulated.
    The best part of the race was basically the few laps after the Safety Car with the Toro Rosso's and the Haas' charge in the midfield. Otherwise it was rather boring.

Ferrari seem to not even know what they're doing anymore and Verstappen being 3rd in the Driver's Championship pretty much proves this. On a Honda Engine, no less.

F1 is really in need of a rules shakeup in the next couple of years, but given how Mercedes seem to be on top of everything, I don't see it helping much unless we go full P-34 or something.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    well, that was exactly what everyone should have expected from this season by now

I'm for anything changing at this point. I don't think I'm alone in the high hopes I had for this season, but this might be the worst one since I started watching in 2011. Even the Vettel years had some good drama......

Jasconius on
  • Options
    Drovek wrote: »

The best part of the race was basically the few laps after the Safety Car with the Toro Rosso's and the Haas' charge in the midfield. Otherwise it was rather boring.

Ferrari seem to not even know what they're doing anymore and Verstappen being 3rd in the Driver's Championship pretty much proves this. On a Honda Engine, no less.

F1 is really in need of a rules shakeup in the next couple of years, but given how Mercedes seem to be on top of everything, I don't see it helping much unless we go full P-34 or something.
    Bringing back the P34 would be fucking amazing.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I think the best thing from here is hoping for continual Mercedes 1-2 for every race. Firstly, it's never been done, so it'd be at least historically intriguing to follow, if not very interesting on a race to race basis. Secondly, it will really drive home that there is a problem and changes must be made, which will limit any further "wait and see" approaches from being entertained.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    More F1 2019 details:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADzXRyDY5u8

Legends Edition:
    - Ayrton Senna and Alain Prost both make their appearances, along with their 1990 McLaren MP4/5B and Ferrari F1-90 cars respectively
    - Both drivers' likenesses are available in career mode, as well as on the exclusive cover art
    - They also have their own mode, although Autosport was very unimpressed with what they saw gameplay-wise, as it was just one of the standard classic car challenges (since this video is also linked on Codies' blog, there may be more to come regarding this mode?)
    - Three days' early access
    - Exclusive Senna & Prost themed multiplayer liveries
    - Naturally, also includes everything that's in the Anniversary Edition...

Anniversary Edition:
    - This is the "normal" pre-order edition, titled the Anniversary Edition to celebrate ten years of Codemasters Birmingham Studio F1 games
    - Includes the 2010 McLaren MP4-25 and Ferrari F10 as pre-order bonus classic cars, and they will be available as DLC later (this is practically tradition now)
    - Full F2 2018 season included, 2019 season to be downloadable later
    - Cover art varies by region in keeping with the "rivalry" theme - although hilariously this does mean things like Canadian players having to consider Hamilton and Stroll to be rivals...
    - The 2019 spec shiny tyres are all present and correct:

ol5c5v1trz36.jpg

Jazz on
  • Options
    Given the current season, the cover should've been Bottas vs Hamilton, to be honest.

I'm actually excited about the inclusion of F2 in there. Maybe I'll actually race it online this time (but to be honest, I always end up in Assetto Corsa or, as of now, iRacing.)

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Still no VR support...

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Still no VR support...

Cockpit games like racing games are the perfect, 1:1 application of VR. I'm amazed and really disappointed that Codemasters seem to have no intention of ever supporting it.

• Options
    It's the reason I don't play the F1 games much at all. I would play them more if there was VR support.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    I hear it works reasonably well with VorpX, but I've really held off buying that utility since game-to-game it's so mixed.

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    I really bought the hype early on, that Ferrari will challenge the Mercedes this season and that the midfield is really good right now.

But so far its been a disappointment. Renault is just disintegrating (and boy does Ricciardos descision seem foolish in hindsight), Ferrari doesn't know what they are doing, Williams should just fold and Mercedes is running circles around everyone.

The cars look pretty though.

• Options
    was spain the fastest a car has ever been lapped without some sort of mechanical problem?

• Options
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    and boy does Ricciardos descision seem foolish in hindsight

does it? i don't really see why it does.

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular

At the moment it does. Red Bull is clear #3 in the standings and I would guess they'd battle Ferrari for 2nd if it was Ricciardo instead of Gasly in the second cockpit. The Red Bull is also very clearly the superior car to the Renault. So far, Ricciardo has 1 12th place, 1 7th place and 3 DNFs - none of which were his fault if I remember correctly (which I might not).

Verstappen has 3 4th place and 2 3rd place finishes in 5 races.

So at the moment I think he should have staid at Red Bull.

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular

At the moment it does. Red Bull is clear #3 in the standings and I would guess they'd battle Ferrari for 2nd if it was Ricciardo instead of Gasly in the second cockpit. The Red Bull is also very clearly the superior car to the Renault. So far, Ricciardo has 1 12th place, 1 7th place and 3 DNFs - none of which were his fault if I remember correctly (which I might not).

He didn't leave to win trophies, he left because he didn't like his place in the team (he felt Verstappen was being favoured), that Renault was a rising team and possibly money.

I doubt very much expected to be gunning for podiums at Renault in the first year.

• Options

I would expect Ricciardo to make the same decision again if he had all this information already. We know he didn't want to be alongside Verstappen, we know he wanted a payday, and we know he figured a works team would be a good future bet. None of those things are affected by an uncompetitive season this year.

• Options
    Yeah, Ricciardo's days at Red Bull were definitely numbered as Verstappen was emerging as a clear #1 driver. The number of teams he could have gone to without being in the same position were fairly limited.

• Options
    Interesting, isn't it, how fortunes ebb and flow... doesn't seem all that long ago that Ricciardo joined Red Bull and annihilated Vettel so hard that it was the latter who bailed for pastures new.

• Options
    Yeah, but Vettel has become his own worst enemy.

• Options
    Nova_C wrote: »

Helped by Ferrari being its own worst enemy.

Kinda echoing Alonso...

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Nova_C wrote: »

Helped by Ferrari being its own worst enemy.

Kinda echoing Alonso...

Although Alonso had that ability to drag a car to places it really shouldn't have been capable of going, taking two championships to the wire in his Ferrari days. Vettel can generally get the best out of a car on his day; but I don't think he can wring its neck to get even more out of it quite the same way.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Yet another Ferrari mistake was to not pursue Ricciardo.

• Options

To be honest, I'm kinda seeing more in the future for LeClerc than for Ricciardo. Hell, given the right circumstances, I see a Verstappen vs LeClerc championship fight in the not too distant future.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options

To be honest, I'm kinda seeing more in the future for LeClerc than for Ricciardo. Hell, given the right circumstances, I see a Verstappen vs LeClerc championship fight in the not too distant future.

Yeah, LeClerc is doing really well and Ferrari is letting him down a lot more than vice versa.

And yeah, as the current champion(s?) begin to age out, I could absolutely see Verstappen and LeClerc being rivals.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    The Ferrari overhype got some interesting facts added to it yesterday. Both Mark Hughes and the Autosport guys pointed out that while the media (and yes, they specifically called themselves out) and fans were on the train post testing, every team in the paddock except Mercedes themselves, including Ferrari, said that Mercedes was clearly the fastest car after the final parts of testing when they brought their final pre-season upgrades.

Re: Vettel. A lot of people who know him have said he has a very, very specific driving style. He likes a car that he can pitch hard in to corners, with a very stable back end, where he can use the power to actually straighten the car out. Mark Webber has commented before on how in a "normal" car he was faster than Vettel at any track, on any day...but in a car specifically built for his driving style Vettel was able to do some things Webber couldn't replicate. The added point to this is that LeClerc is said to have a much more flexible driving style, much more akin to Lewis Hamilton. He can change his style to match the car and track, as Lewis did at China this year.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    I think I'm going to go to the 2020 Melbourne GP. Or Spa.

My inlaws are from Belgium and they usually come to see us and we go to see them once a year. Either track is a possibility.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular

My inlaws are from Belgium and they usually come to see us and we go to see them once a year. Either track is a possibility.

Hi it's me, your relative.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »

Hi it's me, your relative.

And we can go to both, ja?

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    The Circuit of Zandvoort has a long history as a Formula 1 venue, and over the coming months, the facility will be rebuilt with help from Zandvoort town council and several other partners. The track and the infrastucture will be modified in order to meet the standards laid out by the FIA in order to host a Formula 1 World Championship event.

I really hope they don't Paul Ricard it.

They're totally going to, aren't they.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    F1 has wisely responded to fans growing concern about the quality of racing and difficulty of passing by adding a track with a racing surface about as wide as a phone booth

This discussion has been closed.