As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Remember That Movie? [1980's Edition]

Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my worldRound Rock, TXRegistered User regular
edited October 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm trying to remember this movie I've seen at least a couple of times as a kid. I haven't had any luck with Google thus far.

It probably came out in the mid to late 80's, though I guess early 90's is possible (kinda doubt it, though). Here is what I remember:

It involved probably high school aged kids, or maybe college. I'm not sure if it was the main theme of the movie, but it involved a contest to design a hard to beat lock on a door and then the entrants would try to defeat the other locks. The contest took place in what looked like a school or dorm hallway. I remember one of the locks was a bunch of deadbolts where some were locked and others weren't, supposedly making it difficult to know when they were all unlocked, but it was beat by using a magnet and iron shavings. There were two main guys, who I guess were the top of the class or whatever, and they were going to head to head. One guy, who I think was the antagonist, had a lock that was basically a bank vault with a time release. The other main guy had to go get some piece of equipment to speed up the clock, and it was tense on whether it would make it in time. His lock involved a garage door opener that pressed a large metal barricade against the door. Attached to the peephole was a periscope like thing that went to an exact miniature of the room, complete with garage door opener, except it was reversed (so it looked like it was closed when it was open, and vice-versa).

That's about all I remember. Not sure if it was a theatrical release movie, made for TV movie, or even some television show that I'm thinking was a movie, but I'm pretty sure I saw it on TV.

Sir Carcass on

• Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    I remember that! MacGuyver. A quick Google points to: http://www.tvrage.com/MacGyver/episodes/105618/recap

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Holy crap, that's it!

I know I was a big MacGyver fan, but for some reason never associated it with this memory. Wow, now to watch it again on Netflix!

Thank you!

• Options
    a411guya411guy Registered User new member
    I had virtually the exact same memory of it as you... but with a peephole and a pneumatic actuator of some kind.

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    I'll keep this going, though perhaps with a movie from the 70's. This one might be extra tricky because I've just discovered I think I'm conflating two different films.

My memory as of this morning was of a single film. In an earlier scene, a blond girl is in an attic(?) with a couple of boys, one of which might be her brother, and they negotiate some kind of deal for her to flash them. Later, the girl chokes to death during a meal. I thought maybe a character was named Julie or Julia, and that the movie had something to do with gargoyles.

Now I've just found The Haunting of Julia (or the original title Full Circle). In this film, a young blond girl chokes to death at breakfast, but it happens within the first 3 minutes of the film.

What's the other movie?

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    I'll keep this going, though perhaps with a movie from the 70's. This one might be extra tricky because I've just discovered I think I'm conflating two different films.

My memory as of this morning was of a single film. In an earlier scene, a blond girl is in an attic(?) with a couple of boys, one of which might be her brother, and they negotiate some kind of deal for her to flash them. Later, the girl chokes to death during a meal. I thought maybe a character was named Julie or Julia, and that the movie had something to do with gargoyles.

Now I've just found The Haunting of Julia (or the original title Full Circle). In this film, a young blond girl chokes to death at breakfast, but it happens within the first 3 minutes of the film.

What's the other movie?

Are we saying the "other movie" is one in which the girl flashes some boys in an attic and also dies, or just the first part?

Because I'm gonna assume the latter and hail Mary "Hope and Glory"

Because there's a scene where a girl flashes the boys playing at bomb site to get in, which might be near the beginning and might be remembered as an attic.

It might even be an attic!

Edit: She might also die in a raid. Or her parents do and she's sent away? IDK.

Realizing I'm Probably Way Off But Doubling Down Anyway Edit: There is almost definitely a gargoyle of the architectural variety somewhere in the film.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

What's the other movie?
    Is that flowers in the attic?

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    edited April 2019

What's the other movie?

Are we saying the "other movie" is one in which the girl flashes some boys in an attic and also dies, or just the first part?

Because there's a scene where a girl flashes the boys playing at bomb site to get in, which might be near the beginning and might be remembered as an attic.

Realizing I'm Probably Way Off But Doubling Down Anyway Edit: There is almost definitely a gargoyle of the architectural variety somewhere in the film.

Amazing! I think that's it!

I have to try and find the scene but it sure looks right to me.

Edit: I couldn't find the scene by scrubbing through the version I found but I recognize the girl's face from other scenes and this is almost certainly it. Thank you! I've had this floating around in my memory for probably 35 years or so.

Drake Chambers on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

What's the other movie?

Amazing! I think that's it!

I have to try and find the scene but it sure looks right to me.

Edit: I couldn't find the scene by scrubbing through the version I found but I recognize the girl's face from other scenes and this is almost certainly it. Thank you! I've had this floating around in my memory for probably 35 years or so.
    :+1:

My sister and I practically wore out the VHS on that movie, there are probably innumerable associations to it tattooed on my brain.

If you had said the movie had "a scene where someone was upset about jam," I would have inquired as to whether it was German jam, and also guessed Hope and Glory.

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    Holy shit, glad I'm not the only one that loved that episode.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Wow, my OP was almost 7 years ago. I find that funny because I was actually trying to remember that MacGyver episode name a few weeks ago, and then I randomly pop into H&A today and see my thread again.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Wow, my OP was almost 7 years ago. I find that funny because I was actually trying to remember that MacGyver episode name a few weeks ago, and then I randomly pop into H&A today and see my thread again.

LOSSSST

camo_sig.png