As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Twilight Imperium 4e - Game 5: Round 6 - Status Phase / Game End

1363738394042Β»

• A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    No change in wormhole, no need to make you update the map.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Claim Gather a Mighty Fleet (Status Phase, 1 VP): Have 5 Dreadnoughts on the game board.

38thDoE on steam
    πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€

Claim Found a Golden Age: Creuss(4), Abyz(3), Starpoint(3), Fria(2), New Albion (1), Thibah(1), 2 TGs.

@Ketar

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Claim Fuel the War Machine (Status Phase, 1 VP): Have 3 Space Docks on the game board.

Exhaust Arc Prime and Wren Terra and spend 2 TG to claim Erect a Monument (1 VP): Spend 8 resources.

• El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Bah. I really should have played that last turn differently... with the ghosts' help I could have stopped that and probably won. Oh well :(

Good game all!

El Skid wrote: Β»
    Bah. I really should have played that last turn differently... with the ghosts' help I could have stopped that and probably won. Oh well :(

Good game all!

I’m a dumdum and thought I had secured my secret objective and as I was typing claiming it realized I had not. I had very slim hopes of getting a support the throne and then 3 vps status. Who knew Carrier II isn’t a blue tech.

• MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Round 6: Status Phase / Game End

Score Objectives
    Sardakk N'orr: Claim secret objective "Gather a Mighty Fleet". (VP 1 --> 2)
    The Ghosts of Creuss: Exhaust Creuss (4R), Abyz (3R), Starpoint (3R), Fria (2R), New Albion (1R), Thibah (1R), and 2 Trade Goods (TG 5 --> 3) to claim public objective "Found a Golden Age". (VP 6 --> 8)
    The Barony of Letnev: Claim secret objective "Fuel the War Machine" and exhaust Arc Prime (4R), Wren Terra (2R), and 2 Trade Goods (TG 2 --> 0) to claim public objective "Erect a Monument". (VP 8 --> 10)

Having achieved 10 victory points, the Barony of Letnev is victorious!

Final Victory Points
    The Barony of Letnev - 10 VP
    The Yssaril Tribes - 9 VP
    The Ghosts of Creuss - 8 VP
    The Embers of Muaat - 7 VP
    The L1z1x Mindnet - 4 VP
    Sardakk N'orr - 2 VP

Objectives
    Public Objectives
    Expand Borders (1 VP): Control 6 planets in non-home systems. - Yssaril, Letnev, Muaat, L1z1x, Creuss
    Erect a Monument (1 VP): Spend 8 resources. - N'orr, Muaat, Letnev
    Corner the Market (1 VP): Control 4 planets that each have the same planet trait. - Letnev, Yssaril, Creuss
    Sway the Council (1 VP): Spend 8 influence. - Letnev, Yssaril, Muaat
    Lead from the Front (1 VP): Spend a total of 3 tokens from your Tactic and/or Strategy pools.
    Diversify Research (1 VP): Own 2 technologies in each of 2 colors. - Muaat, Creuss, Letnev, Yssaril
    Manipulate Galactic Law (2 VP): Spend 16 influence. - Yssaril
    Found a Golden Age (2 VP): Spend 16 resources. - Creuss
    3 Stage II Objectives remain in the line.

Secret Objectives
    The Barony of Letnev - 0 unfulfilled secret objectives in hand, 3 completed:
    - Become the Gatekeeper (Status Phase, 1 VP): Have one or more ships in a system that contains an Alpha wormhole and one or more ships in a system that contains a Beta wormhole.
    - Threaten Enemies (Status Phase, 1 VP): Have one or more ships in a system that is adjacent to another player's home system.
    - Fuel the War Machine (Status Phase, 1 VP): Have 3 Space Docks on the game board.
    The Embers of Muaat - 1 unfulfilled secret objective in hand, 2 completed:
    - Make an Example of their World (Action Phase, 1 VP): Use Bombardment to destroy the last of a player's ground forces on a planet.
    - Cut Supply Lines (Status Phase, 1 VP): Have one or more ships in the same system as another player's Space Dock.
    The Yssaril Tribes - 1 unfulfilled secret objective in hand, 2 completed:
    - Spark a Rebellion (Action Phase, 1 VP): Win a combat against a player who has the most victory points
    - Control the Region (Status Phase, 1 VP): Have one or more ships in 6 systems.
    Sardakk N'orr - 1 unfulfilled secret objective in hand, 1 completed:
    - Gather a Mighty Fleet (Status Phase, 1 VP): Have 5 Dreadnoughts on the game board.
    The L1z1x Mindnet - 2 unfulfilled secret objectives in hand, 1 completed:
    - Unveil Flagship (Action Phase, 1 VP): Win a Space Combat in a system that contains your Flagship. You cannot score this objective if your Flagship is destroyed in the combat.
    The Ghosts of Creuss - 1 unfulfilled secret objective in hand, 2 completed:
    - Form a Spy Network (Status Phase, 1 VP): Discard 5 Action Cards.
    - Mine Rare Metals (Status Phase, 1 VP): Control 4 hazardous planets.

Special Objectives
    N'orr's Support for the Throne (1 VP) - Held by L1z1x.
    Custodians of Mecatol Rex (1 VP) - Claimed by Letnev.
    Letnev's Support for the Throne (1 VP) - Held by Creuss.
    Imperial Primary (1 VP) - Claimed by Letnev, Round 3.
    The Crown of Emphidia (1 VP) - Held by Muaat.
    Imperial Primary (1 VP) - Claimed by Yssaril, Round 6.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited May 2019
    Good game, everyone.

I played the last round super conservatively to make sure I had multiple options for VP. I was still really worried when I realized Yssaril could have had the Flagship SO.

If I had drawn an action SO I would have attacked Muaat for the Crown of Emphidia. The odds calculator I was using had things looking favorable enough to do it. I also would have done it if Yssaril hadn't taken my two most useful combat action cards in successive turns - losing those definitely decreased the odds a bit. I was surprised that El Skid didn't take Politics to be ahead of me in initiative - that would have also forced the giant battle, and it's what I was prepping for positionally. Taking Construction to complete that SO just gave me so many more options for point scoring though that I couldn't just take Politics myself, since defending everything necessary to manage the 2VP 16 influence objective would have been a lot riskier.

What could the Ghosts have done that would have taken a point away from me? I'm not seeing it right now, and I'm curious.

Ketar on
    Ketar wrote: Β»
    Good game, everyone.

I played the last round super conservatively to make sure I had multiple options for VP. I was still really worried when I realized Yssaril could have had the Flagship SO.

If I had drawn an action SO I would have attacked Muaat for the Crown of Emphidia. The odds calculator I was using had things looking favorable enough to do it. I also would have done it if Yssaril hadn't taken my two most useful combat action cards in successive turns - losing those definitely decreased the odds a bit. I was surprised that El Skid didn't take Politics to be ahead of me in initiative - that would have also forced the giant battle, and it's what I was prepping for positionally. Taking Construction to complete that SO just gave me so many more options for point scoring though that I couldn't just take Politics myself, since defending everything necessary to manage the 2VP 16 influence objective would have been a lot riskier.

What could the Ghosts have done that would have taken a point away from me? I'm not seeing it right now, and I'm curious.

I think he might mean the 3 way "trade" for my remove a counter AC. You had my ceasefire I couldn't touch you with such limited tokens+meager fleets.

Once Yssaril managed to play Imperial I was 99% sure the game was ending with him unveiling his flagship or blowing up mine.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    It was no problem in a play by post to continue, but if we were playing live having to endure 3-5 hours of being crippled like this but not eliminated may have ranked as my worst gaming experience.

Sardakk N'orr may not be a terrible race, but it doesn't feel like you have anything fun or exciting you can do. Really wish I built that fleet one turn earlier.

38thDoE on steam

@MrBlarney Thank you so much for hosting, this seems like a ton of work to do and I appreciate I've gotten the chance to play twice online. Especially with a game so hard to get on the table.

38thDoE on steam

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    When I picked l1z1x I was really counting on getting some more tech objectives and not, resources, influence, lots of planets, more resources, more influence and well, that happened.

38thDoe wrote: Β»
    It was no problem in a play by post to continue, but if we were playing live having to endure 3-5 hours of being crippled like this but not eliminated may have ranked as my worst gaming experience.

Sardakk N'orr may not be a terrible race, but it doesn't feel like you have anything fun or exciting you can do. Really wish I built that fleet one turn earlier.

Having never played it it seems like a win more race that has trouble getting ahead in the first place.
    You also needed to hire new gunners for that PDS.

Good game, everyone.

I think he might mean the 3 way "trade" for my remove a counter AC. You had my ceasefire I couldn't touch you with such limited tokens+meager fleets.

Once Yssaril managed to play Imperial I was 99% sure the game was ending with him unveiling his flagship or blowing up mine.

If the three of you had worked out a deal to have Yssaril target you with Mageon Implants to get the card, and then have Muaat take it with the Yssaril racial, I would have attacked Muaat's homeworld. I would still have Emergency Repairs to combine with my racial tech to sustain 2 hits per dread. It would have been interesting! :P

I also would have left a ship or ships in Qucen'n - Rarron if Muaat had possessed more tactics tokens, or a deal along those lines had seemed even a little likely.

Phyphor wrote: Β»
    When I picked l1z1x I was really counting on getting some more tech objectives and not, resources, influence, lots of planets, more resources, more influence and well, that happened.

L1z1x was the best race available when you picked - I was hoping they'd come back to me somehow, but Location A was worth more to me than any race other than Yssaril so I had to pass on them.

Thank you yet again, MrBlarney. It is always a pleasure to play in one of your games and always greatly appreciated.

edited May 2019
    Good game, everyone.

I was really hoping you would attack me actually. I had a morale boost and a sabotage (I drew *3* of the 4 sabotages this game despite drawing fewer cards than anyone else somehow!), and I think that morale boost would have put the odds well into my favour (I think it's about a 25% swing to have a first round MB)...

Shame you didn't try it- I had the "destroy a flagship or Warsun" objective in my hand so I could have gotten a victory that way pretty easy.

e- Oh, I could have gotten the wormhole generator and moved to your home system with the warsuns and destroyers... if I had another tactics point

El Skid on
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Thanks for playing, everyone. And the game ended just in time too - I'm starting a new job tomorrow that'd keep me away from keeping track of things so tightly. Just a few notes for now...
    • Commiserations to 38thDoe, who had to endure a very annoying period of home system occupation. The "destroy an opponent's fleet with Space Cannon" secret objective was actually available for draw (after being drawn and discarded by El Skid), so there was actually a chance that this normally undesirable objective could have been completed.
    • I found it interesting how many of the duplicate Action Cards got distributed: Muaat got three of the four Sabotages, Letnev three Maneuvering Jets, and Yssaril got three Shields Holding and most of the Rider cards. (Although that's less surprising for Yssaril considering their bonus to card draws.)
    • Only one of the four "research technology" public objectives were drawn for the objective line, "Revolutionize Warfare". Unfortunately for L1z1x, this would only come out at the end of Round 7, probably too late to have been a lynchpin.

As it seems to be tradition now, I wouldn't expect the next Twilight Imperium game to be run until next year. (Unless someone else wants to give hosting a try.) After last year's game, I mused about running a different game like Root or Argent: The Consortium. Neither of these happened. But lately, I've been thinking about running a few different economic games. So perhaps that'll be served up for the rest of the year's forum game hosting on my end.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited May 2019
    Good game, everyone.

I was really hoping you would attack me actually. I had a morale boost and a sabotage (I drew *3* of the 4 sabotages this game despite drawing fewer cards than anyone else somehow!), and I think that morale boost would have put the odds well into my favour (I think it's about a 25% swing to have a first round MB)...

Shame you didn't try it- I had the "destroy a flagship or Warsun" objective in my hand so I could have gotten a victory that way pretty easy.

e- Oh, I could have gotten the wormhole generator and moved to your home system with the warsuns and destroyers... if I had another tactics point

I still had strong odds of winning an invasion of Muaat even with a sabotaged Repairs and you playing Morale Boost.

If you go just off of our ships available when I would have attacked, I had an 82% chance at victory thanks to Letnev Munitions Reserves. Morale Boost drops it to 66%.

edit: haha, whoops. I had forgotten to include the Letnev flagship on my side, and was running it with an extra cruiser instead. With the flagship included the odds of a Letnev victory would have been 99% even with Morale Boost played 1st round.

Ketar on
    Ohhhh I dunno if my calculations included munitions reserves. There would definitely be some interesting discussions to be had here- how much you could have committed to the attack without losing your home worlds etc. It's an interesting puzzle!

I had a sabotage waiting for any Muaat card play. It is all I had left in my bitter vengeful heart.

38thDoE on steam

Ohhhh I dunno if my calculations included munitions reserves. There would definitely be some interesting discussions to be had here- how much you could have committed to the attack without losing your home worlds etc. It's an interesting puzzle!

That was why I was pulling for an action SO when I played on the Imperial secondary. Anything at all that would have allowed me to go all out and win in a single battle and I would have done it even if it was only 50/50 odds.

• LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    Good game everyone. Thanks again for hosting MrBlarney makes my year every year.

I had a Public Disgrace in hand for that last strategy phase and could have forced Phyphor off of Warfare but forgot, that was my big flub. Still happy with scraping out 6 points in two rounds.

Yeah, after my slow start I was super happy to bounce into contention.

And of course thanks to @MrBlarney for yet again donating his time and patience and meticulousness to let us have fun! :)

Good game everyone. Thanks again for hosting MrBlarney makes my year every year.

I had a Public Disgrace in hand for that last strategy phase and could have forced Phyphor off of Warfare but forgot, that was my big flub. Still happy with scraping out 6 points in two rounds.

An initial attack against MR does the same thing since you have to also hold it and then I can follow up with homeworlds

• LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular

An initial attack against MR does the same thing since you have to also hold it and then I can follow up with homeworlds

I was actually surprised you didn't do it this way, that you don't have to take the turn to do Warfare and I don't have the turn to put my fleet into my home system. Not that it mattered :) I was hopeful I could deal with the closer fleet but I definitely couldn't deal with both

I was actually surprised you didn't do it this way, that you don't have to take the turn to do Warfare and I don't have the turn to put my fleet into my home system. Not that it mattered :) I was hopeful I could deal with the closer fleet but I definitely couldn't deal with both

My fleet had good odds vs letnev or muaat (depending on ACs) so I didn't think it really mattered what you had there and it's more fun to let you gather your fleet anyway

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: Β»

I think there's something to be said for being the weakest race and then getting all the Agenda's graciously bequeathed to you, but yeah, that early occupation looked painful and I'm sorry for being glib about your position early early game.

Yeah, N'orr are one of the weakest races and I'm sorry I stomped on your home planet like that. I was looking for any way back into the VP race, and that was a great opportunity to score a couple of VPs at very little cost to myself... If I could have scuttled that destroyer I totally would have, @38thDoe... :(