As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Sysadmin] Routing to null

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Nobody here shits on VMware in general, but whenever one of our crappy legacy applications decides to throw a tantrum, one of the applications guys is all "IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG WITH VMWARE!??!?!"

No, Brad, VMware is not the reason Lotus Notes 1993 is shitting itself today

Speaking of lotus notes... the last big upgrade I did I pretended that the lotus notes CD was lost when our systems crashed and I didn't have a backup of it and took the verbal abuse from my boss and the office manager about how she had to waste a few hours of her time recreating templates for patient forms in word so I would never have to deal with lotus notes (I think we had 94 or just lotus notes 4?) again.
    This sounds like you mean Lotus 1-2-3, not Notes. Notes/Domino is a database platform, not a document editor. (Well, around the fairly recent Notes 9, they integrated a customized OpenOffice into the Notes client, but I’m sure that’s not what you meant.)

I’m going to say it again: Notes is fine! Microsoft did a damn good job convincing people otherwise right about the time that most of the worst things about Notes were gone. Many many golf course decisions with slimy reps.

When did Notes stop sucking?

Because I used versions 6 and 7 up through roughly 2009 and it was a garbage fire

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    We don't actually use Lotus anything here. I was using it as a euphemism.

Dude just pretend. I'm going to.

I use Lotus all the time. It's sweet for time management.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Entaru wrote: »
    I am listening to the VMware admin at my old job talk shit about the cloud without an understanding of anything he is saying.

I work with a guy who shits on VMware all the time whenever someone mentions it, and has never, ever, in his entire life, ever worked with it.

So what I'm saying is that the universe is in balance.

I don't have an inherant issue with VMware. It does it's job quite admerably.

I just think this dude put all his eggs in one basket and now sees a world where VMware is less dominant and is freaking out about it.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Nobody here shits on VMware in general, but whenever one of our crappy legacy applications decides to throw a tantrum, one of the applications guys is all "IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG WITH VMWARE!??!?!"

Speaking of lotus notes... the last big upgrade I did I pretended that the lotus notes CD was lost when our systems crashed and I didn't have a backup of it and took the verbal abuse from my boss and the office manager about how she had to waste a few hours of her time recreating templates for patient forms in word so I would never have to deal with lotus notes (I think we had 94 or just lotus notes 4?) again.
    This sounds like you mean Lotus 1-2-3, not Notes. Notes/Domino is a database platform, not a document editor. (Well, around the fairly recent Notes 9, they integrated a customized OpenOffice into the Notes client, but I’m sure that’s not what you meant.)

I’m going to say it again: Notes is fine! Microsoft did a damn good job convincing people otherwise right about the time that most of the worst things about Notes were gone. Many many golf course decisions with slimy reps.

Oh maybe, I don't remember.

It was just awful. There were some word pieces and excel file like things?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

Oh maybe, I don't remember.

It was just awful. There were some word pieces and excel file like things?

That's 1-2-3.

Notes was a whole email & collaboration platform.

Besides email, the big draw of Notes was that you could build and publish your own Notes applications. If you wanted a database-driven collaboration app but you didn't want to pay a real developer to make a real program you could hack one together on Notes

When I got out of Notes support, I was hearing a lot of hype about how much better version 8 was gonna be, but by that time Exchange and SharePoint were up to 2008 and open-source CMSes like WordPress and Drupal were fully in swing so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    Hey Scripty friends. I'm trying to figure out why this is only returning the results from my system despite my system not even being in the list of processed objects.
    Import-module ActiveDirectory
    ##get groupmembers
            $computers = Get-adgroupmember "Adobe"
            $computers | Select-object -First 5 | Foreach-object -process { invoke-command $_.name { 
                ##Declare Variables
                 $Prop64 = 'HKLM:\Software\Policies\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\DC\FeatureLockDown\cServices'
                 $Prop32 = 'HKLM:\Software\WOW6432Node\Policies\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\DC\FeatureLockDown\cServices'
                #Query Reg
                $bUp64 = (Get-ItemProperty $Prop64 -name bUpdater).bUpdater
                $bAds64 =(Get-ItemProperty $Prop64 -name bToggleAdobeDocumentServices).bToggleAdobeDocumentServices
                $bWc64 = (Get-ItemProperty $Prop64 -name bToggleWebConnectors).bToggleWebConnectors
                $bUp32 = (Get-ItemProperty $Prop32 -name bUpdater).bUpdater
                $bAds32 =(Get-ItemProperty $Prop32 -name bToggleAdobeDocumentServices).bToggleAdobeDocumentServices
                $bWc32 = (Get-ItemProperty $Prop32 -name bToggleWebConnectors).bToggleWebConnectors
                #Write Var to Hash
                $ResHash = [ordered]@{
                    "Hostname" = $computers.name
                    "Updater64" = $bUp64
                    "Updater32" = $bUp32
                    "Document Services64" = $bAds64
                    "Document Services32" = $bAds32
                    "Web Connector64" = $bWc64
                    "Web Connector32" = $bWc32

}
                #Out to CSV

$results = @()
                $results += New-Object -TypeName PSObject -Property $ResHash
                ##$results | Export-Csv -Append \\LocalShare\$system.csv
            }
        }
      $results | Out-GridView  

I feel like this is probably a common pitfall in powershell, but I don't know what to google to resolve my problem :/

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Guessing that your local system doesn't have the requisite AD tools installed. If you just run Get-adgroupmember "Adobe", does it return anything?

• Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    Guessing that your local system doesn't have the requisite AD tools installed. If you just run Get-adgroupmember "Adobe", does it return anything?

Yup, returns the full object... Well the first 5 because I'm still testing and I don't want to run it against the whole collection yet

so notes is basically foxpro, nice

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

Yup, returns the full object... Well the first 5 because I'm still testing and I don't want to run it against the whole collection yet

@Bendery It Like Beckham are you sure that the invoke-command is successfully running the commands against the remote systems? I think it generally uses -ComputerName to specify the target system. You could verify by having the script write the output for the system name and each of your variables as it runs.

I get errors from different PScomputers so I'd say I'm executing against it. The script runs just fine against my local system, so I think maybe I need to be getting the outstream of each PC and writing it locally, but that barely makes sense as I type it.

edited May 2019

There's nothing wrong with your script. You're running into a weird interaction between invoke-command and get-item/get-itemproperty/get-childitem that I don't fully understand. Basically, you can't use get-item (and it's cousins) inside of invoke-command on registry keys on remote PCs. It only returns local values, as you've observed.

Instead of using Get-ItemProperty and Invoke-Command, try querying the Win32.RegistryKey provider directly:
    $RemoteRegKey = [Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey]::OpenRemoteBaseKey(Localmachine, $RemoteComputerName)

Google "Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey" for more examples.

Feral on

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    You're resetting the $results list to an empty list every time you go through the loop on line 28.

Declare it before the foreach-object.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    Vowels, you're a treasure

Basically, you're running into this bug:
    $Computer = Get-ADComputer some-other-PC
    Invoke-Command -ComputerName $Computer.Name -ScriptBlock { Write-Host $ENV:computername }

#This returns the remote computer's name, just like you expect.

Invoke-Command -ComputerName $Computer.Name -ScriptBlock { Get-ChildItem C:\ }

#This returns the contents of the remote computer's C: drive, just like you'd expect.

Invoke-Command -ComputerName $Computer.Name -ScriptBlock { Get-ChildItem HKLM:\Software }

#This returns the contents of your local computer's registry. Why? Because fuck you, that's why.

Feral, you're something like a treasure but saucier

Aioua wrote: »
    You're resetting the $results list to an empty list every time you go through the loop on line 28.

Declare it before the foreach-object.

Oh yes that too. I missed that.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019

There's nothing wrong with your script. You're running into a weird interaction between invoke-command and get-item/get-itemproperty/get-childitem that I don't fully understand. Basically, you can't use get-item (and it's cousins) inside of invoke-command on registry keys on remote PCs. It only returns local values, as you've observed.

Instead of using Get-ItemProperty and Invoke-Command, try querying the Win32.RegistryKey provider directly:
    $RemoteRegKey = [Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey]::OpenRemoteBaseKey(Localmachine, $RemoteComputerName)

Google "Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey" for more examples.

there's the thing where you can't get remote resources when you're already remote, but I don't think this is that, I'm like 90% sure I've gotten stuff from the local registry on a remote machine, but it woulda been back in the powershell 2 days...
    edit: oh it's some other weirder bug and not that 'security' feature

also on line 17 you probably want $_.name instead of $computers.name

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    Thanks! That makes a ton of sense.

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    That_Guy wrote: »
    One of my clients called to report the internet was down again. It would appear the fiber got cut again. For those of you keeping score at home, the fiber for this site has been cut 5 times in as many months.

Where is it being cut? Side of the building? A squirrel on the line? Is it two dudes in a van that totally work for the power company?

It's being cut all over the fucking place. See, this site is half way up a mountain. Western North Carolina is a very rural area and there isn't much telco development. There wasn't even DSL service up there. Most people out that far are lucky to have phone service. Reliable internet service is just a pipedream. My client had to pay AT&T around $100k to run fiber up there to replace a gaggle of bonded t1s. The contractors buried cable wherever they could. That means running it along the roadway. Mountain roads need a lot of maintenance and Buncombe county has been pulling in record tax revenue so there has been a lot of much needed roadwork going on around there office. It's been a lot of repaving and digging culverts so the new roadway doesn't wash away like the last one. You got these 200lb gorillas behind the controls of a 10 ton CAT and where the rubber meets the load, my fiber line breaks. I'm actually on a first name basis with one of the local techs. Every time it gets cut I call the 800 number and talk to Bob from Inda to open a ticket. I immediately call the local guy, tell him what's going on to jump start the repair locally. Those poor guys must be sick of hearing from me. Every time this happens it takes em around 6-8 hours to fix it. I can only imagine the mind numbing tedium it is doing this to every fiber in the bundle, for hours on end.

Well it's fixed now so I'm going to bed.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    huh so that's how they splice fiber optics

BahamutZERO.gif
  • RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    so notes is basically foxpro, nice
    Like, kinda? As an administrator who was a developer in a past life, I like the way Notes design works. Basically, you create a form (think, like, a Fill-in form in PDF) and then it creates the database based on that form. You add a name field to the form, and now your database has a name “column.” It’s not really a relational DB system, but it can sort of emulate that with some work (and it can work with a real DB like Oracle or DB2 on the backend).

This is a double-edged sword, right? It’s so easy to create a DB this way, a typical sysadmin will just slap something together and call it a day. I’m not going to claim that I’m some god-tier designer, but I polished up a number of the databases the previous sysadmin had created. They now work (for the most part) fairly seamlessly on the web and in the client.

When I started here, we were on Notes 6.5 with some 7. Those releases were mostly fine, but 8.5.3 is really where things got cleaned up and they worked through the Java glitchiness. Yes, I said Java, and I hate it too, but it works in such a way that you only notice it that there is a Java layer on the UI because of the RAM utilization. (Incidentally, this is what allowed them to easily integrate OpenOffice into the fat Notes client.) I’ve been using Notes 9 for a few years, but I think 10 is out now so I should probably give that a shot soon.

Notes is in a weird place, because IBM was genuinely trying to get it back in the zeitgeist with Verse (kind of like Notes on some collaboration steroids). It’s a pretty neat layer for people in big corporations who work on teams or whatever, but it’s too little too late I guess. They recently announced the sale of Notes (and I think Verse) to the Indian company that has been developing the product for a while. We don’t know whether that’s going to be a good thing or a bad thing, but at least IBM is continuing to be the vendor to customers (for now).

TLDR — THE NOTES DEFENDER HAS LOGGED IN

RandomHajile on
    that almost feels like foxpro meets access meets crystal reports or something

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    that almost feels like foxpro meets access meets crystal reports or something

That sounds like you're trying to summon an elder god. And hey, guess what: In my experience Notes is great for that!

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular

Not saying that isn't how the guys do it for @That_Guy but during the vid they comment that they have larger fusion splicers for ribbon and bundle cable. Otherwise, the method in the video would take too long and be too expensive to be practical.

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »

Not saying that isn't how the guys do it for @That_Guy but during the vid they comment that they have larger fusion splicers for ribbon and bundle cable. Otherwise, the method in the video would take too long and be too expensive to be practical.

The bundle splicer is usually inside a truck or trailer. With cut fiber lines it's not always possible to haul both ends to where it's parked. Considering it's always taken them around 6-8 hours to fully restore service I'm guessing the linemen around here aren't able to make use if it if they have one. I've never driven to where the cut happened to watch them but I imagine the guys in the video work in much the same way as the guys around here.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Motherofgod.jpg

That sounds excruciatingly tedious

Our new level 1 has contracted the spurious correlations disease. I don't think we have any option left except palliative care and hospice.

"You were doing work on the Spokane branch and they called yesterday to say their whole branch was running slow."

"Did you gather any info about the complaint?"

"No, I didn't because I wanted to check with you if what you were doing--"

"Don't assume that two things are related unless you have evidence that it's the case."

"I wasn't, I just was checking--"

"Don't 'check' with me until you've gathered info and you have evidence leading towards an explanation."

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    This company was damn lucky I was here to do the puppet upgrade to the latest version.

What a mess.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    In this case, the "work" I did involved changing the names on some shared printers and then updating the group policies to reflect the new printer paths.

That's not the sort of thing that would cause slowness all day.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    In this case, the "work" I did involved changing the names on some shared printers and then updating the group policies to reflect the new printer paths.

I mean, in theory it could if you did something truly bizarre. But this is why we give tier 1 and tier 2 a set of questions which minimally must be answered always before calling, because jesus folks just do some fucking basic troubleshooting and analysis.

What is this I don't even.
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

I mean, in theory it could if you did something truly bizarre. But this is why we give tier 1 and tier 2 a set of questions which minimally must be answered always before calling, because jesus folks just do some fucking basic troubleshooting and analysis.

Yeah, exactly.

We have an organizational anti-pattern of "you touch it, you bought it" that we're trying to break out of. Certain people will be like "you plugged in a printer at Bellevue two weeks ago? Well now every Bellevue ticket belongs to you!"

I'm exaggerating a bit. But only a bit.

Actually, on second thought it's less "you touched it, you own it"

and more

"Everything is network"

Bellevue's accounting application is slow? That must mean the network is slow! Give it to networking!

So I didn't get the job I really wanted, but a client just heard I was leaving and emphatically asked me to send them my resume

That feels nice

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Even then, I've found that you have to instill some type of confidence in them so that they start asking those questions. I handed all support for one platform over to an offshore consulting team, complete with years worth of exceptionally detailed standard work that I personally wrote to assist with about 75% of most of the received requests. I'm huge on documentation; never liked being handed shit that no one bothered to document. A few days would go by and I'd check in to see how things were going. None of the tickets had been touched. When inquired, they said they wanted to check with me as to what they should do first.

There was some culture differences for sure, but for fuck's sake... just try something. Try anything! What's the worst that could happen? You get it wrong? Yeah, that's part of troubleshooting. Don't wait 3-5 business days to ask me a question. Gather some intel and let's talk about afterwards. Seriously took 3 months to get their confidence level up enough to where they felt comfortable asking questions without consulting me first. After almost a year, they still need to ask me for help, which is totally fine because the system is nuanced. And now I'm trying to get them to do the same thing with another platform.

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
    I love when vendors and other companies do that kind of shit. Makes you really go "I guess I'm not really an impostor am I?"

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    No, you are, they're just really really bad.

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    LD50 wrote: »

In my case it's definitely this

Other people are good and valid IT professionals, though

LD50 wrote: »

I mean that still wouldn't make me an impostor since I'm better than they are!

This discussion has been closed.