As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mario Maker 2] Final update on 4/22! Frog Suit! Overworld creator! And More!

MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice ActorKirkland, WARegistered User regular
edited April 2020 in Games and Technology
i42q7ibscdel.jpg

"Welcome to the Super Mario Maker 2 thread! Woo-hoo!"

This is your one-stop shop for all the PA forum levels you can shake a stick at. We can also use this thread to discuss older non-offshoot Mario titles, including Super Mario Maker 1.

If you'd like to view other people's levels, you can either manually add in each code as they get posted or enter one code and add that person as a favorite. Once you've got someone on your favorite list, you can just click on their name and pull up all their levels. To make this process a little easier, below is a list of names of PA people with at least one level they've created. Punch in the code and favorite them! If you'd like to get added to the list, simply PM me or @ notify me in your post.

ADD YOUR SUPER MARIO MAKER CODES FOR OTHER PA FOLKS TO PLAY!

We've got a google doc of backlogged levels by PA users. The thread can move fast, so check here for level updates in case you've missed any posts.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JKGoOqeAZT8DWu7sxodCbQ94F6y2pgITxJG-8Vwu3ss/

SUPER MARIO MAKER CHALLENGE!

Like in the last thread, I will create SMM Challenge event. Basically, every week a Judge will create a challenge with fun or unique twists for players to build levels around. The players will then upload their codes for everyone to try out. The Judge will play all the levels and determine a winner, who will become the new Judge and create the rules for the next challenge or let me someone else decide if they don't wanna be the Judge.

Here is the format for submitting levels to be judged and creating challenge guides for players to follow (simply copy/paste as necessary):

Judge Challenge Guide

[your name] presents:

The Mario Maker 2 Challenge Bash #x!

Brief one sentence challenge description

1-2 paragraphs of in-depth details here if necessary.

Challenge details:
  • Level Style: Any (SMB, SMB3, SMW, etc)
  • Level Theme: Any (Ground, Castle, Underwater, etc)
  • Nighttime option: Yes
  • Duration: Sunday->Friday dates
  • Submission Cutoff: Friday date
  • Winner Announced: Saturday date

Please only one submission per person, but feel free to tweak a level before the cutoff date. Just let me know if that works for all of you and good luck!

Player Submission Guide

Your name
Level Name
Level ID #
"@" judge's name
*optional screenshot*

Any notes or details necessary

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
Steam ID
Twitch Page
MNC Dover on

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I'm so going to torture you all with levels. This I swear

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    After watching somebody play a level based on Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes, where he relied on Twitch chat to tell him what was going on on the screen, I want to make a level based on A Way Out or We Were Here -- two paths through the level that take you through a series of rooms, with the hints for each path contained in the other path, so that two players need to work through it together. EDIT: Hopefully there will be Waluigi and Wario costumes for SMM2 so I can title the level, "A Waaaah Out".

WACriminal on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I got turned off hard from Mario Maker when Nintendo deleted one of my levels, that I spent several hours carefully crafting, for no apparent reason and wouldn't let me reupload it, even with edits. Yet Mario Maker was fucking clogged with terrible levels that so far as I could tell only got to stay up because a somewhat popular youtuber shit them out. Really going to take some convincing to get me to buy this one.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Tomorrow morning there is a Nintendo Direct that will go over Mario Maker 2 for 15 minutes.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    This is probably my most anticipated game of the summer, followed closely by Fire Emblem.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Things I'm hoping to hear tomorrow:
    - music selection, instead of it being locked based on background used
    - a way to filter out Kaizo style levels because fuuuuck that shit
    - Super Mario Bros 2 mode

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Humanity couldn't make good levels the first time around (I certainly can't), how are they going to do any better now?

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Announcement predictions for tomorrow:

-Multiplayer levels
    -Objective-based elements, such as "collect X coins"
    -Some sort of hook for the different pipe colors besides aesthetics

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Humanity couldn't make good levels the first time around (I certainly can't), how are they going to do any better now?

Slopes

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

I dont know if any are still up but mine were pretty good. Consistently upvoted and everything.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    Yeah there were a lot of really good levels on there based on what I've seen.

• akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    I wasn’t interested in this... Until I realized I could make “Baby’s First Platformer” levels for my 4yo.

I’m going to... The opposite of torture you. Imma make easy, silly fun levels.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
    edited May 2019
    akjak wrote: »
    I wasn’t interested in this... Until I realized I could make “Baby’s First Platformer” levels for my 4yo.

I’m going to... The opposite of torture you. Imma make easy, silly fun levels.
    I had my nephew design a level for Mario Maker. He insisted it be a water stage and hooo boy. It's not difficult, but it's actually not easy either.

Edit - This was about a year and a half ago when he was 4yo.

Henroid on
  • IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    This is a release day purchase for me. My childhood notebook levels that had slopes will get new versions that have slopes.

Excited to find out what else I can achieve with the new tools!

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Preordered from Amazon Japan because I get a touch pen, a stuffed bob-omb, and a pencil case. Suck it nerds.

Number One Tricky
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Yeah, I made a few pretty good levels in Mario Maker 1 (if I do say so myself). But I wasn't going for ball-crushing hard, and I wasn't going for gimmick. My goal was simply to create authentic feeling Mario levels that were fun to play.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Remember the Super Mario Maker 2 stream will air at 3pm PST/6pm EST. Will post link before it starts.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Just because it's impossible to tell when any given person stopped paying attention, don't forget that that they invented the "Super Expert" difficulty midway through the game's run, which absorbed the bulk of the "full-time Mario hack streamer" levels. Expert felt legitimately challenging but still fair after that happened.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    I loved the first one, and the weekly competitions we did were super fun. I’m very much excited for a reason to get back into it.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I never got the first one, so I’m looking forward to trying to make some faithful Mario levels. Screw crazy levels, I want to make a bunch of ‘World 1’ skill ranged levels with silly names.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    Just because it's impossible to tell when any given person stopped paying attention, don't forget that that they invented the "Super Expert" difficulty midway through the game's run, which absorbed the bulk of the "full-time Mario hack streamer" levels. Expert felt legitimately challenging but still fair after that happened.

I don't understand why they were deleting levels in the first place (outside of offensive material anyways). Like sorry you aren't a popular enough creator and we can't afford this 14kb of server space, so you can't share this level with anybody and we already got your money so eat a dick. It's a shitty way to curate. I might hold off until I know if they are going to be shitty about level sharing again.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    Going live in 20 minutes!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    The biggest feature I hope they announce: Importing original SMM stages (and maybe some form of miiverse)

Secret guilty pleasure: overworlds and unique characters, so we can do SM2 style levels

Oh, and more dress-up options; I want the amiibo costumes to be in more than just the SMB1 style!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    Here we go!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    "and play the story mode"

wut

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    Looks like an almost intimidating number of new features.

Weird to see a "Boo" option to review a course. I think i prefer the either upvote or nothing approach.

Steam
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    omg....it's beautiful

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    As an all-digital user, the digital vouchers sound awesome!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    I need more info! I need more Nintendo games!!!

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    As an all-digital user, the digital vouchers sound awesome!

This is a REALLY good option if you think long-term. Like, I'm already thinking this + Link's Awakening, or Bayo 2...

Holy fuck that was a lot of content. Can't wait to piss off my friends! :)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Course tagging is absolutely something I wanted to see, but I have to wonder what their strategy is going to be for false tagging. Oh sure, my romhack level is totally a "puzzle"...

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
    Kupi wrote: »
    Course tagging is absolutely something I wanted to see, but I have to wonder what their strategy is going to be for false tagging. Oh sure, my romhack level is totally a "puzzle"...

creator + user voting on tags?

Cat Mario really seems to blow the design space wide open. It will be a challenge making a level that includes cat mario that he doesn't just destroy.

Steam
  • Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    Story Mode! I am all about that.
    Also, the true love of 3D World this game has makes 3D World Deluxe a near certainty, if it wasn’t already.

Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

Yeah down voting being an option means they need to have security in place for review bombing bullshit that toxic gamers feel the need to do.

Henroid wrote: »
    Yeah down voting being an option means they need to have security in place for review bombing bullshit that toxic gamers feel the need to do.

I think they would just auto remove down-voted levels, to get past all those bs trap levels that were all over the place last time. If that's the route they go, then maybe they could adjust the algorithm for review bombs (maybe weight "Boos" by the percentage of positive responses the user doles out), or something.

Steam
    OK that was incredible and I can't wait.

I hope the Multiplayer Co-Op doesn't require players to all be in the same zone at all times. It didn't seem to -- players were definitely offscreen from each other during the demo.

I think they would just auto remove down-voted levels, to get past all those bs trap levels that were all over the place last time. If that's the route they go, then maybe they could adjust the algorithm for review bombs (maybe weight "Boos" by the percentage of positive responses the user doles out), or something.
    Auto removing down-voted levels would be giving toxic assholes exactly what they want.

Auto removing down-voted levels would be giving toxic assholes exactly what they want.

I'm guessing the kind of levels that would be review bombed would be the ones uploaded by 'unpopular' youtubers or whatever, which should have some sort of critical mass of positive votes from their followers. The levels with a large number of up and down votes can probably be curated differently.

Steam
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    ...that was a bonkers amount of content, including a bunch of course features I don't think were in any other Mario game before.

And Koji Kondo with new music! This sequel is nowhere near half-assed.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293