As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NBA] Thread: Dame Ascending to Final Form

• jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    What if...the Lakers get the #1 pick.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    New Orleans? Rigged.

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Pelicans get to ruin another kid's first 4-6 years in the league.

Goose! on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    The Pelicans....might be good next year?

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Only way this could’ve gone better for Celtics is if kings moved up to no. 2

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    Only way this could’ve gone better for Celtics is if kings moved up to no. 2

Don't worry, Danny's already looking to trade it for a first and 2 second round picks next year.

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Whooooo Grizzlies get no. 2 pick!

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Goose! wrote: »

God the Knicks are dumb. The star fucking thing has never worked. Nobody wants to play for Dolan.

this is extra funny now, though

RJ Barrett or Ja Morant will be a Knick according to the projections/mock drafts. So naturally I expect them to actually draft some guy I've never heard of that played in Europe. They're about 50/50 on those.

• NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Fully expecting the Lakers to trade that #4 pick for AD now.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    I am in a packed taproom and it's starting to turn a little angry.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Nirya wrote: »
    Fully expecting the Lakers to trade that #4 pick for AD now.

Isn’t it kind of at best a 3 person draft?

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    The Judge wrote: »
    I am in a packed taproom and it's starting to turn a little angry.

I was stuck with an obstructed Chili's view for the first 2.5 quarters but it's seemed like GS has had this game in hand since the tip?

• burboburbo Registered User regular
    Can we please get Steph to rock the baby at Dame so he will play a little d and get engaged with game?

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    burbo wrote: »
    Can we please get Steph to rock the baby at Dame so he will play a little d and get engaged with game?
    Maybe he'll listen to Mark Jackson ragging on the Blazers the whole game later and that will motivate him for game 2

Seriously, fuck mark Jackson

Even though my team is dropping a steaming turd in this one, it's so obvious how much more fun gsw will be if durant leaves

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Even though my team is dropping a steaming turd in this one, it's so obvious how much more fun gsw will be if durant leaves

That's what jumped out at me about Game 6 of the Houston series. I'd forgotten how much fun the pre-KD GS was.

edited May 2019
    Its ridiculous how the announcers are raving about the Oracle crowd. This is, BY FAR, the quietest, shittiest crowd the blazers have played in front of this postseason. Aside from Steph threes, they made practically no noise until the game was a blowout. Roaracle is long dead.

burbo on
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Seriously, fuck mark Jackson

What's funny is that Mark Jackson legitimately hates the Warriors for firing him. He rags on them every chance he gets.

Yeah, I've seen that. It kind of feels like he was over compensating for that criticism.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin

Have to imagine the Blazers are exhausted, they just got done with a long seven game series two days ago.

• KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    Its ridiculous how the announcers are raving about the Oracle crowd. This is, BY FAR, the quietest, shittiest crowd the blazers have played in front of this postseason. Aside from Steph threes, they made practically no noise until the game was a blowout. Roaracle is long dead.

My friends report back that the watch-along crowd at Oracle was still good. Maybe they need to pipe in some of that noise.

• KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Kasyn wrote: »

My friends report back that the watch-along crowd at Oracle was still good. Maybe they need to pipe in some of that noise.

I have no idea what the ticket prices were but I can easily see a big chunk of regular fans getting priced out.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Yeah unless you are a longtime season ticket holder you are priced out of Warriors playoff games.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    There is no comparison to the 2014 crowd. That arena was rowdy as hell and it was awesome.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    Kelor wrote: »

I have no idea what the ticket prices were but I can easily see a big chunk of regular fans getting priced out.

I def think that's a part of it. Rich folks are notoriously bad sports fans.

I think another big part of it, and something I've observed in the warriors fans in my life, is that they just become spoiled by success and feel entitled to it. They won 3 of the last 4 titles, a game 1 wcf against an exhausted portland team just isnt exciting to them anymore.

It's amazing how much expectations affects the experience of fandom (look at the philly fans in here for a prime example). The warriors have stacked the deck so egregiously with their team building that expectations are basically "greatest team of all time or bust". As a result, I think both the players and the fans are unable to actually experience prolonged joy, their emotions are going to mostly just be limited to relief, smug satisfaction, and bitter vindication.

I thought I saw this dynamic play out in the celebration after the title victory last year. I had never seen a championship winning team with less joy. They just looked like they were people going "we did it! This is what we wanted, right? We worked hard for this, didn't we? This is a great accomplishment, isnt it?"

For a long, stupid analogy, I think KD is kind of like a gamer who chose to play Bloodborne because he thinks he's a good player, he heard it was hard, and he wanted to test his skills against that challenge. He fought his way through the game, overcoming each obstacle, getting better and better, never summoning an ally. But by the end, he just could not beat the Orphan. He tried a handful of times, growing increasingly frustrated until he decided, "fuck you Orphan, I'm summoning all the allies i can get" and them easily beat it down, conquered the challenge, and won the game. But then he's asking himself, I beat the game, I used only the mechanics provided, I'm a really good player, why is everyone saying I didn't REALLY beat it? Why do I feel like I didn't really.beat it?

The rest of the warriors are more like people who did beat the game, trampled the orphan, and experienced that elation. They came back to it, deciding they were going to win on a no deaths run, to really show their skills, but they got killed when the last boss had one hit left. Suddenly, the game gets patched and it adds a new overpowered KD ability that needs every fight in the game. They use it, of course, but their overreliance makes their skills go dull, they aren't the masters of dodging, timing, and spacing they once were. They dont need to be, they just need to use their muscle memory and their new KD ability to sail through everything. They can beat the game whenever they want now, but their too soft to even want to retry their no deaths run, and they find themselves yearning for the classic build that was brutally difficult, but forced the best out of them.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    ::slow clap::

• IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Oh lord is someone going to step up to speak at KD's HoF induction ceremony and say "You cheated not only the game, but yourself. You didn't grow. You didn't improve. You took a shortcut and gained nothing."

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    The Warriors fans in my circles definitely haven't had their excitement diminished by their success, though the first one was uniquely awesome for them. It really is mostly that the games have both gotten considerably more expensive, and that the team has caught the interest of bandwagoners, diluting the good crowd they used to have. Oracle was nuts during the early run, even during regular season games, it was a lot of fun. Especially when the Clippers were in town, at the height of the bad blood between those two squads. Great stuff.

I do agree there is a little bit of something to it regarding KD, but it's not that it causes everyone to get worse. It's that Steph and Klay are (rightly) considered the native sons of the team, and KD will always be viewed as a guest. Not that he's not appreciated, but for most of the fans I know, Steph or Klay getting hot will always be more hype than anything KD can hope to do, as outrageously talented as he is.

Man, it really is a bummer though that they're going across the Bay. That crowd is going to be even worse. I know they're not the Oakland Warriors, but the East Bay Warriors fans are a large part of why Oracle's crowd was so good back in the day.

Hone
    Ilpala wrote: »
    Oh lord is someone going to step up to speak at KD's HoF induction ceremony and say "You cheated not only the game, but yourself. You didn't grow. You didn't improve. You took a shortcut and gained nothing."

Haha, they probably don't need to. The (assumed) fact that he wants to leave is already acknowledgement that he knows it in his heart.

edited May 2019
    The Warriors fans in my circles definitely haven't had their excitement diminished by their success, though the first one was uniquely awesome for them. It really is mostly that the games have both gotten considerably more expensive, and that the team has caught the interest of bandwagoners, diluting the good crowd they used to have. Oracle was nuts during the early run, even during regular season games, it was a lot of fun. Especially when the Clippers were in town, at the height of the bad blood between those two squads. Great stuff.

I do agree there is a little bit of something to it regarding KD, but it's not that it causes everyone to get worse. It's that Steph and Klay are (rightly) considered the native sons of the team, and KD will always be viewed as a guest. Not that he's not appreciated, but for most of the fans I know, Steph or Klay getting hot will always be more hype than anything KD can hope to do, as outrageously talented as he is.

Man, it really is a bummer though that they're going across the Bay. That crowd is going to be even worse. I know they're not the Oakland Warriors, but the East Bay Warriors fans are a large part of why Oracle's crowd was so good back in the day.

My first NBA game ever was at Oracle, and it included multiple loud and deafening standing ovations to see Earl Boykins score 30 on KGs Timberwolves for like a 30 win Warrior team. It really was a great place to watch a game.

Rich people ruin everything.

I also don't necessarily really think that Steph and Klay are worse, per se, I mean, look at Game 1. I think it's just that what everyone, particularly professional athletes, want to get out of their work or their passion, is to get into a state of flow. Winning is fun, losing hurts, but it's really that flow state that we are chasing. And the thing about flow, is it requires someone to be challenged to 90-95% of their capacity. I think that with KD on their team, they never really get challenged enough to experience that consistently, and it ends up less satisfying for everyone as a result.

burbo on
  • XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Hawks get two picks in the top 10

if they can't find a SG this year I dunno

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    What do people think of the lottery system? As someone who doesn't really follow basketball, it's kind of fascinating. Your the worst team but you end up picking 3rd. If I was a Knick's fan I'd hate it, but for a Pelican's fan, they have to be rejoicing. You now have a shot at keeping AD or having a great building block if he leaves. Doesn't seem like it really discourages tanking that much and with so little top NBA talent available, really does just feel like a lottery.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I like it because you can theoretically be just out of the playoffs and still get the number one pick. Tanking isnt a guarantee of the best pick.

• EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    I feel like the old weighting was more fair. In general I like the concept of the lottery, though.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    just means that there are more teams who will tank.

getting the 8th seed is a disaster for your franchise.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Yeah it’s supposed to prevent teams from trying to win as little as possible, but it’s just moved tanking upstream

This discussion has been closed.