As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Forget your New Year's diet in the [Bad Food] thread

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    These days I tend to use my pickle juice for Kool-Aid, but I have had the pickle juice brined chicken, and yeah, that can be damn tasty

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Yo I hear we're talking about books in this thread.

What do y'all season your books with? Is ketchup okay yet, or should I stick with 57 and garlic butter?

You can probably get pretty good chips by battering the pages (uncoated if possible) and deep frying it

Peas on
  • Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »
    My wife has OCD (complete with diagnosis) and she thought it was funny. /shrug

It was also apparently founded by a woman with OCD and the website says they donate a portion of each sale to the foundation for children with autism for whatever thats worth
    It's good that it's founded and run by someone with OCD, but as for the donations it really depends on what the foundation is, cos most of the well known ones like Autism Speaks are complete trash and actively harm autistic people :/

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    These days I tend to use my pickle juice for Kool-Aid, but I have had the pickle juice brined chicken, and yeah, that can be damn tasty

AAAAAAHHHHHHH

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    chromdom wrote: »

AAAAAAHHHHHHH

https://youtu.be/pDmbQEo-7dU

edit:

https://youtu.be/OJzjFlrQzBQ

Peas on
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Not quite. I like pickles too much to make Koolickles. I take the leftover juice when the pickles are gone, dilute it about 50/50 with water, strain, and mix up in some flavored powder.

It's sweet, a little spicy, garlicky, and salty and it is a great refreshing cold summertime drink.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    American chop suey has its own Wikipedia entry:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_chop_suey

I grew up eating a very slightly less removed version at my grandparent's house that didn't use tomato or elbow macaroni but did use a lot of canned veggies.

I don't remember my parents ever serving any meals that were particularly bad to my friends, my mom is a good home cook and makes some great food. My dad does like taking a dill pickle spear and wrapping it in deli ham and a slice of American cheese and just chomping on that as a snack, but I'm pretty sure he never offered one to a friend of mine.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    jgeis wrote: »
    American chop suey has its own Wikipedia entry:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_chop_suey

I grew up eating a very slightly less removed version at my grandparent's house that didn't use tomato or elbow macaroni but did use a lot of canned veggies.

I don't remember my parents ever serving any meals that were particularly bad to my friends, my mom is a good home cook and makes some great food. My dad does like taking a dill pickle spear and wrapping it in deli ham and a slice of American cheese and just chomping on that as a snack, but I'm pretty sure he never offered one to a friend of mine.

My wife's entire family was super into "cheese pickles", which was new and super weird to me at first but... They ain't terrible.

Also, it's somehow comforting to know my mom didn't pull the chop suey thing out of thin air!

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular

chickles?

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

sweet mother of moses

also if anyone wants recommendations for a best-of of vintage cookbooks, both horror and classic varieties, hmu in the new thread I guess, since Jedoc already did a bang-up job of summarizing some of the history and giving nonfiction recs

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    the chicken thighs were pretty nice, but not super out there. Subtler than i would have expected for pickle juice.

Also, they were kinda small so i turned on thigh into a parma and that was pretty tasty

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »

chickles?

Don Chickles.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Whaddayou laughin' at, ya hockey puck?

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    My brother's taking me out for a late birthday meal tonight at one of Bristol's best restaurants. I am hype.

I know that's the exact opposite of this thread's purpose but there isn't a good food thread.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    My brother's taking me out for a late birthday meal tonight at one of Bristol's best restaurants. I am hype.

I know that's the exact opposite of this thread's purpose but there isn't a good food thread.

All of SE++ is the [Good Food] thread so you're alright

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Today I truly feel 30, because my office brought in a bunch of ice cream and pastry's from Mike's and I have absolutely zero interest in eating something with that much sugar in the middle of the day. I used to have such a sweet tooth!

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    The food was so good. I fully intended to be one of those people who take photos of all the food, but every time a course arrived I thought "Ooh that looks tasty!" and ate it before remembering.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    ^^ not unrelated, I’ve found it. The worst thread:

At our house, "pasta a la dan" is pasta + tomato paste + ketchup + cream + grated cheese of some sort; those are core ingredients, then possibly also cream cheese + potentially cheeze whiz + perhaps some worcestershire sauce / bbq sauce / whatever else might make it a bit more interesting. (the kids like it, I'm fine with it, and it reheats well for lunch the next day)

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    That is

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
  • Options
  • Options

That's the sweet meats bucket.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Man I dodged a bullet the worst I ever had to deal with at a friends house is his mom making baked Ziti and finding out Ziti is awesome

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    I mostly had sleepovers when friends were having birthday parties so I only really dealt with pizza.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I went to a friend's house in 7th grade and his mom made what she called Jewish Lasagna (they were Jewish so this wasn't, like, some antisemitic bullshit). It was basically normal lasagna in that it was tomato sauce on lasagna noodles with ricotta, but notably it also had pine nuts and bay leaves in it.

It was fuckin' gross and I was not tactful enough in my youth to hide my dissatisfaction, so after they all ate we went to Dick's.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Bay leaves, as in... like, to eat?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Going over to other people's houses and dealing with their weird food habits when you're spending the night or just staying for dinner is only about marginally less frightening than your parents leaving you at checkout while they 'run and grab something quickly'.

As an adult I know I can say "what the fuck are you doing?" but as a kid if someone pulled that sweet milk shit on me I'd probably be scared out of my fucking mind to say anything.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Has anyone else had ginger ale mixed with milk? I recall my mother giving me that when I had the flu as a kid, and I recall it as not unpleasant, even though it's a combination that I would question as an adult. Went well with good ol' Saltine crackers.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Going over to other people's houses and dealing with their weird food habits when you're spending the night or just staying for dinner is only about marginally less frightening than your parents leaving you at checkout while they 'run and grab something quickly'.

As an adult I know I can say "what the fuck are you doing?" but as a kid if someone pulled that sweet milk shit on me I'd probably be scared out of my fucking mind to say anything.

my dad did the grocery store checkout line ditch to me all the time, god damn it. And half the time he wouldn't make it back in time.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    My mom would make me go get the thing, because children are servants.

• Options
    at least that way you don't have to deal with the stares of the 5 people waiting behind you and the register clerk as you stand there like an asshole with no money

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    Has anyone else had ginger ale mixed with milk? I recall my mother giving me that when I had the flu as a kid, and I recall it as not unpleasant, even though it's a combination that I would question as an adult. Went well with good ol' Saltine crackers.

That's basically what an egg cream is

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    huh if you watch the steam rising from the duck and beans during the video you can see when he cuts, sometimes he's splicing every single word with cuts, that's kinda weird now that I'm paying attention to it.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    huh if you watch the steam rising from the duck and beans during the video you can see when he cuts, sometimes he's splicing every single word with cuts, that's kinda weird now that I'm paying attention to it.

Yeah he'll sometimes cut several times in one sentence. Still enjoyable to watch. Wanna try that duck, sausage, and bean main course.

• Options
    kilnbornkilnborn Registered User regular
    Today I truly feel 30, because my office brought in a bunch of ice cream and pastry's from Mike's and I have absolutely zero interest in eating something with that much sugar in the middle of the day. I used to have such a sweet tooth!

Welcome to adulthood.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I am over 30 and I would've eaten all the pastries and been annoyed that other people were eating my pastries they're mine all mine.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    D6q_ppvWkAAvKe4.jpg

I'm going to do it

I'm going to eat the Eurovision burger

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    please enjoy this Eurovision coke in the meantime

D6rAna-XYAAlajp.jpg

wY6K6Jb.gif
This discussion has been closed.