As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This Diablo thread is like 800x600, bleh

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Oh wow, next week! Also good because these kept starting the night of my Friday off, which was useless in terms of extra play time.

And confirmation of more DBs from challenge rifts, AND 10k Inarius stayed in. :+1:

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    What are people thinking for their first class?

Not sure what to go with this time around. Will probably make multiple classes eventually. Monk starts with Sunwuko which is a good starter. Wiz starts with firebird which is not that great for starting off... so while I will make a wiz, probably not first.

Inarius could be interesting as a starter with these buffs. Might have to start with a necro.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    What are people thinking for their first class?

Not sure what to go with this time around. Will probably make multiple classes eventually. Monk starts with Sunwuko which is a good starter. Wiz starts with firebird which is not that great for starting off... so while I will make a wiz, probably not first.

Inarius could be interesting as a starter with these buffs. Might have to start with a necro.

I'm going to go...

Yeah nobody will be surprised what I start out with.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    I picked necro because I mostly liked Rathma except for the 4pc, and now LoN can more than replace it, along with Inarius and Death Nova buffs to check out.

That said, LoN versions of Darts, Orb, Rapid Fire, and Blessed Shield also sound pretty good. How much of that I actually get to will depend on how much variety I want in the bounty grind.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    I was planning on this being my Monk season. I hope I have time.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Managed to finish the "Get a stash tab" tier of the Season Journey the night before the season ended, so that's nice.

I like D3 as a sit-back-and-watch-stuff-explode game (so, no grift pushing for me), so I've enjoyed the simple rotations of the two builds I played for the last two seasons: Multishot Demon Hunter (keep one buff up, right-click to erase screens, occasionally use one of your other powers to move faster or something, it doesn't even matter because Multishot is OP) and Immortal King-Hammer of the Ancients Barbarian (summon your posse as the start, keep three buffs up, play whack-a-mole with your hammer). By contrast, I leveled an Arachyr-Firebats Witch Doctor on my Switch last season, and it felt very awkward; although all the skills effects had synergy with each other, I felt like spells in the actual rotation were getting in the way of each other. The primary spell is Firebats, which you want to be channeling, but you also want to be using Hex and Locust Swarm and Haunt all the time to buff your defense and offense, and keep Soul Harvest topped up, and it basically felt like at any point I was casting X but I was supposed to be casting Y and Z instead. Maybe I was just doing something wrong.

Which Haedrig's Gift for Season 17 would you folks say provides the more laid-back playing experience I'm hoping for? I was thinking of leveling a Crusader, and a thorns build does seem entertaining, but what I'd really like to try is either the Hammerdin or Blessed Shield builds; maybe I should just wait until one of those is the free set for Crusaders?

Delduwath on
  • Options
    I'm not so sure about crusader builds but the Necro haedrig reward set, Inarius, literally has a build called "lazy mancer"

• Options
    That would have been my first choice, but I already have a non-seasonal, fully kitted-out Lazymancer that I played a whooooole bunch of when the Necromancer pack came out. Granted, I think it's being buffed this patch, but I feel like it'll be something I've already experienced a lot of. I was hoping to try something that I haven't put much time into (so, a Crusader, Wizard, or Monk).

Actually, maybe I'll play the Necro on the Switch (where I don't have one yet) and one of the others on PC.

• Options
    Monk's free set is Sunwuko, which has some pretty good "laid back" builds - check out Wave of Light builds. There are a few variants but overall they are pretty similar.

• Options
    Ya, I couldn't get into firebats either. Ring of Emptiness is cool in Jade, but I find it annoying elsewhere. Wondering whether or not you're doing damage properly is a bad time.

Thorns crusader is pretty laid back though, and with the LoN season you can work toward Blessed Shield with that, which is probably even more laid back. Hammers is kinda spammy and fragile.

• Options
    Does Blessed Shield not need to be backed by a set? That's interesting; maybe that'll be the gameplan.

• Options
    It doesn’t have a specific set bonus anywhere, so normally falls under Akkhan, just like Condemn. It fits very well with LoN because the weapon makes it free, so you don’t need the resource savings of Akkhan 4p.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    yeah i'm thinking it's time to roll up a crusader again this season

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    On Switch, did demon Hunter the last two seasons. Either going to roll my first monk or my first Necro ever this season.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I was considering Demon Hunter this season, but a lazy Necromancer sounds nice.

• Options
    I'm so disappointed that this season's theme will do nothing to benefit me. :(

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    New patch is out. My wife is working the whole weekend so that means me and my son should be able to play a bunch on the new season this weekend.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Tried an Inarius & Iron Rose build ( siphon blood spams blood novas ) and it's pretty fun and amusing... to a point. It's great around whatever GR will take you 5-6 minutes, and is still kinda cool for torments, but it sure seems like LoN will completely outclass it for higher GRs.

Both versions are extremely tough ( I had ~1bil w/ unity ), but LoN can fit extra bonuses, can use Scythe of the Cycle for more damage over the Fang, your toughness is more reliable, your damage bonus covers much more area, and you can fit... corpsewhisper + land of the dead + corpselance... how novel.

Noggin on
  • Options
    I think the nova builds are more starters than anything

• Options
    Ya, that's pretty much how it ended up. I was hoping for more, but it's still pretty good for what it is. Even then Inarius one.
    forty wrote: »

To go back a bit for this - Not necessarily. 750% per piece adds up quickly in some cases, so some builds don't need anywhere near 13 ancients to work. Blessed Shield Crusader is probably the most extreme example, which beats the damage of Akkhan-6 with only three ancients.

Ya, you'll have 12% damage reduction instead of 50%, but now you also have several slots freed up (and both rings in season) to make up for that with something else.

• Options
    Noggin wrote: »
    Ya, that's pretty much how it ended up. I was hoping for more, but it's still pretty good for what it is. Even then Inarius one.
    forty wrote: »

To go back a bit for this - Not necessarily. 750% per piece adds up quickly in some cases, so some builds don't need anywhere near 13 ancients to work. Blessed Shield Crusader is probably the most extreme example, which beats the damage of Akkhan-6 with only three ancients.

Ya, you'll have 12% damage reduction instead of 50%, but now you also have several slots freed up (and both rings in season) to make up for that with something else.
    Except I'm only going to be working on Monk sets this season.

• Options
    Rhykker's tier vid went up earlier and someone clipped out the list, spoilered for size:
    nB5Hy5El.png

Looots of solid options in the A-B range.

Big winners compared to last season are of course Vyr Chantodo, Dagger of Darts doc, Capt. America, Rapid Fire DH, and LoN in general.

• Options
    RussadRussad MARegistered User regular
    Man, I hate the conquests this season. Maybe I'll roll an HC char and try to do Superhuman.

• Options
    Yeah, they all seem pretty time-consuming. I usually barely have enough time to getone character to ~70 grift, I highly doubt I'll be able to gear up multiple characters to do the "Master 8 set dungeons" or "GR 55 with 6 sets". I'll aim for "GR 45 with no sets" (since that plays into the season bonus) and "50 million gold streak" (because the save-up-bounty-caches-and-open-them-at-once method takes a lot of time, but at least it's very predictable and is guaranteed to work).

I don't know if I'll be able to find another conquest to do in order to get the wings. Too bad; they look cool.

• Options
    RussadRussad MARegistered User regular
    I find an avarice ring, boon of the hoarder, and the cow level at TX to be way easier for the conquest than bounty caches, but YMMV.

I've really come around on Boss Mode - I used to think it was bad, but Shadow DH makes it trivial, and it only took me two attempts this time with a chicken doc. Doing the campaign in an hour needs a coordinated group and I've never bothered. Mastering set dungeons would be... less awful if you weren't punished for being too powerful, if you only needed one character to do it, and if they often didn't require you to have various peripherals. I tend to play one character, I don't want to have to farm up sets on an alt, and then also farm up other items that make the mastery work. The rest of the conquests are largely fine, I think.

• Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    What happened to skyrocket Vyr like that? I always liked that build.

• Options
    I know they buffed the shit out of the damage from the Chantodo's Resolve set bonus. I guess that was enough?

• Options
    Rhykker's tier vid went up earlier and someone clipped out the list, spoilered for size:
    nB5Hy5El.png

Looots of solid options in the A-B range.

Big winners compared to last season are of course Vyr Chantodo, Dagger of Darts doc, Capt. America, Rapid Fire DH, and LoN in general.

What is the 1-10? Top ten builds? Or are they supposed to all be in S Tier?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    His estimation of top 10 solo builds.

I believe he largely bases them on the current leaderboards, then factors in patch changes and season bonuses. LoN Thorns Necro and LoN Starpact are in a league of their own, each having world records over GR135.

edit: He may later call Vyr's S tier. Someone actually just posted a GR136 with Vyr Chantodo (8943 paragon...)

Noggin on
  • Options
    Ah ok. That makes sense then.

So what is this bazooka build?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Betsuni wrote: »

Masochism, via lining up every buff you possibly can to lob a massive star pact meteor, once every 32 seconds.

The perfect example of why top tier builds don’t necessarily translate to torment farming.

Noggin on
  • Options
    In the video, Rhykker described it as possibly the most technically challenging build that D3 has seen, where you have to have split-second timing on multiple inputs. I'm glad he said that (and I watched it), because that immediately let me know that I absolutely don't need to even read up more about it. I get annoyed by Convention of Elements, there's no way I'm going to do anything more involved than that.

• Options
    To be clear, I'm not even doing Convention of Elements correctly, I'm just letting it cycle and if it lines up, it lines up.

• Options
    Betsuni wrote: »

Masochism, via lining up every buff you possibly can to lob a massive star pact meteor, once every 32 seconds.

The perfect example of why top tier builds don’t necessarily translate to torment farming.

Oh for the love of God... Yeah not even going to consider that one. I'm with @Delduwath where if CoE matches when my firing the I get a bonus damage. I don't care if I'm not maximizing my damage output. Especially since I can't even watch the dang thing while killing monsters and trying to not die.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    If that's what it takes to get there, they can be 8 GR tiers better than everybody else IMO.

The Necro thorns build looks much easier to play but has its own horrible weaknesses what with being useless outside of obscenely high GRs.

• Options
    https://youtu.be/55ZQjwDLCP4

For anyone else going necro- the challenge Rift buff provides a new option for leveling.

Now that it’s 35 DBs, you can afford to max blacksmith, craft and upgrade a lvl 70 2h scythe, and extract it into the cube. This is mostly just a necro thing, because all 4 2h scythes have a damage multiplier, but arguably a DH could try the same thing with a dagger.

You might even get an ancient, at which point you’d potentially be better off holding it for 70 or trying to roll reduced level requirement on it (pretty easy if one of the secondaries is crowd control, roll the other).

• Options
    Today's the day!

Unfortunately I am working nights all weekend so I won't be able to start tonight. However I will be on tomorrow in the afternoon bugging people for powerlevels 8-)

• Options
    NukeInBootsNukeInBoots Registered User regular
    I am rolling with Crusader in HC this season. Shield build looks fun.. and well suited for conquests?

• Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    I'll be around if anyone is doing the speedrun thing, otherwise I'll putter along and do the story and soak up as much XP as I can until you regular GR running gods are set up.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    How do you folks typically level? Bounties, rifts/greater rifts, just going to crowded areas and getting massacre bonuses? Some mix of things?

I typically do bounties out of some (possibly misguided) thought that I'll be collecting mats and recipes so that when I hit 70, I'll be able to immediately make use of them, but maybe that's not very efficient. Maybe it'd be faster to do rifts and build up a grift key stash or something, and just do bounties at level 70 and some reasonable Torment.

This discussion has been closed.