As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

QUILTBAG: Hi gay, I’m Dad!

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I didn't even know until last week Arthur was still ongoing but this is pretty sweet!

The plot summary for this sounds like exactly the sort of misunderstanding shenanigans I would expect an episode structured around a wedding would go, which is good, actually.

• LoisLaneLoisLane Registered User regular
    So I want to get into fetlife but I'm terrified of getting murdered, kidnapped, etc. I've been reading online guides but none of them are really all that assuring to me. How did those you fetlifers get used to meeting anonymous people for sex?

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Going to munches and newbie friendly parties/events first so the only people I hook up with from fet are people I've met and interacted with first in some capacity

Edit like fet probably isn't much worse than other online hookup sites and meeting somebody at an event and getting along doesn't necessarily mean they're actually decent but still

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    My employer has a mandatory anti-bullying course for new employees, and one example of bullying they use is refusing to use someone's they/them/theirs pronouns. I'm so happy and proud!
    That's pretty fucking awesome and I hope that gets standardized across every place of employment.

My workplace recently had their yearly sexual harassment training come up, and it included a misgendering example. I was proud to see it.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I didn't even know until last week Arthur was still ongoing but this is pretty sweet!

The plot summary for this sounds like exactly the sort of misunderstanding shenanigans I would expect an episode structured around a wedding would go, which is good, actually.

I watched it and this is the worst these kids have ever acted.
    They assume the person Ratburn is marrying is a pushy lady( actually his sister Patty helping to plan the wedding) and out of fear he'll become an even stricter teacher they decide to break them up.

Like they do realize it's not important what they think but it's at the absolute last minute. They actually meet his fiance pretty early on. I think they should have used him a little more.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular

Eeeeeeeee
    Thank you so much @Blackhawk1313 !!!!

Wearing them tomorrow to first day of new job!

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

Eeeeeeeee
    Thank you so much @Blackhawk1313 !!!!

Wearing them tomorrow to first day of new job!

Hot af

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    those are pretty awesome shoes

• Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Glad they both arrived ok, and look awesome! Was beginning to worry when the ship date kept shifting right but hey, perfection takes time I suppose.

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    so i've known that i'm bisexual for a while and i've felt pretty comfortable with it? i haven't talked about it a lot with people, especially my family, because it hasn't really come up. Like, i'll tell people if asked, but i'm not always volunteering it

but now i've got a boyfriend, and i guess it's time to tell my family

well, i've kinda got two boyfriends, and a girlfriend who they have already met, and honestly the poly conversation is probably the thing i'm more uncomfortable talking about rather than being bi

i might just start talking with my siblings a bit first. I think my parents are good and understanding and supportive but i'm just nervous to actually say it

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    why does the media always try and find the most unflattering photos of her possible

(also the same for like, any trans person, person of colour, etc)

• TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    You know the answer.

• credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    hm I have the opportunity to walk in the DC pride parade with my company which is sponsoring

on the one hand, ew; on the other hand, the company has actually been better at creating queer community for me than anywhere else except for this thread, and I'm also like, hm well if my trans friends from my office are going, maybe I could go with them? But also I don't really want to be a corporate tool; but also I do work for a megacorp and can't really pretend I don't

not really sure; I guess first let's see if any of my trans colleague friends are going to go

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    fucking infuriating

• GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    How is that anything but deliberately cruel. Fucking ghouls.

edited May 2019
    Today was a real shit day serving on the grand jury. Obvs I can't say any specifics, but let's just say I wish I could smash the patriarchy right now.

On the bright side, though, I got texts back from my trans niece on the way home and she told me she's out at work. We had a nice little chat and bonded over Steven Universe. It improved my day by a lot.

Cambiata on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    She is going home to the halls of her ancestors, where Keyboard Cat, Longcat, Ceiling Cat, Happycat, and so many others await her in Lolhalla.

YL9WnCY.png
  • WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    Something tells me you've posted in the wrong tab there, Sterica.

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Grog wrote: »
    How is that anything but deliberately cruel. Fucking ghouls.

As Adam Serwer says, the cruelty is the point.

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    My new company has a strong Diversity and Inclusion department and I plan to join the LQBTQ+ group.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I've been playing the Metroidvania called Timespinner on PS4.

Its the most LGBTQ friendly game I think I've ever played. Most of the characters fall into one of those categories and they don't make a big deal about it and just talk about it like normal conversation.

There isn't a ton of dialog in the game but what if there is really good.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I need (want, whatever) to come out at work, but I keep putting it off because I want the impossible. Which is to not draw any attention to myself or tell anyone my business. Uggh.

• ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    The company I work for (big supermarket) sent out rolls of rainbow stickers that we could put on our nametags for IDAHOBIT.

It's better than nothing, I suppose.

At least now I can have a legit queer symbol displayed front and centre while I'm at work!

• MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    So during today’s all-company meeting people in the pride affinity network we’re going crazy with delight because the executives involved introduced themselves with pronouns. I might just be in a super bad mood right now due to other stuff, though, because I am sitting here thinking that they are being heaped with effusive praise for literally the cheapest form of trans inclusion they could have provided. I’ll be impressed when they offer insurance that covers transition expenses that aren’t restricted to items that are already affordable out of pocket or that a lot of trans people feel ambivalent about.

MsAnthropy on
    Luscious Sounds Spotify Playlist

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    The company I work for (big supermarket) sent out rolls of rainbow stickers that we could put on our nametags for IDAHOBIT.

At least now I can have a legit queer symbol displayed front and centre while I'm at work!

tuozbwqn5nvu.jpg

00nwa576pxlm.jpg

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    OMG!

My new insurance covers GCS!!

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019

tuozbwqn5nvu.jpg

00nwa576pxlm.jpg

....is it bad I kinda want one?

Edit: to be clear, my name is not Neil

Fencingsax on
  • jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    I'm really really struggling right now.

I have a job offer. In another country. Which I really want to take. It would be cool as heck to go work somewhere else for a bit.

But. The more I read about healthcare there, the more it becomes obvious that taking this job basically means putting my transition on hold for however long I'm there. Because it's even more gatekeep-y than where I currently live.

I was just starting to build some momentum, and now I .... Ugh. I want to cry. This is a really hard decision and I can't make up my mind.

And now i've just turned to self hate again because obviously the fact that I didn't immediately turn it down means I must just be a fake trans, cos I don't want it badly enough.

God I hate this. Why does it have to be so hard. Why.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    hm I have the opportunity to walk in the DC pride parade with my company which is sponsoring

on the one hand, ew; on the other hand, the company has actually been better at creating queer community for me than anywhere else except for this thread, and I'm also like, hm well if my trans friends from my office are going, maybe I could go with them? But also I don't really want to be a corporate tool; but also I do work for a megacorp and can't really pretend I don't

not really sure; I guess first let's see if any of my trans colleague friends are going to go

If you March with your company, it helps reinforce that it's important they continue supporting it.

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    @jaziek Izzy

If the new job pays well enough you could look into whether accessing healthcare in Belgium would be an option for you

In Ghent they require about five consultations before you can start HRT but my personal tally might already be somewhere above 20

• GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    jaziek wrote: »
    I'm really really struggling right now.

I have a job offer. In another country. Which I really want to take. It would be cool as heck to go work somewhere else for a bit.

But. The more I read about healthcare there, the more it becomes obvious that taking this job basically means putting my transition on hold for however long I'm there. Because it's even more gatekeep-y than where I currently live.

I was just starting to build some momentum, and now I .... Ugh. I want to cry. This is a really hard decision and I can't make up my mind.

And now i've just turned to self hate again because obviously the fact that I didn't immediately turn it down means I must just be a fake trans, cos I don't want it badly enough.

God I hate this. Why does it have to be so hard. Why.

That's a really tough choice to make and unfair that you have to make it.

At the same time, you're not a fake trans.

Having to make difficult decisions does not disqualify you, putting medical transition on hold for any reason does not disqualify you, not knowing exactly what you want does not disqualify you.

• jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Platy wrote: »
    @jaziek Izzy

If the new job pays well enough you could look into whether accessing healthcare in Belgium would be an option for you

In Ghent they require about five consultations before you can start HRT but my personal tally might already be somewhere above 20

@Platy As far as I'm aware in NL you can't bring in medicine from other countries, at all, even in the union. So like.. it just seems impossible.

jaziek on
    Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
    edited May 2019
    schuss wrote: »

If you March with your company, it helps reinforce that it's important they continue supporting it.

I don't think I will; plus the gay consultant group is huge and the parade has been quite full the past couple years
    I am going to be a panelist for a company pride event though

"don't worry, you only should say what you're comfortable saying"
    lol
    as if just existing as a trans person day to day weren't uncomfortable for me every single day, let alone talking about it at all, ever, with anyone
    there's such a lack of understanding there...
    but whatever, it's a perspective I think should be heard, and it would be good for me to talk about these things to become less uncomfortable with them. How to frame my narrative in a way that is true but doesn't make me terribly vulnerable in a corporate setting should be....interesting.

credeiki on

I don't think I will; plus the gay consultant group is huge and the parade has been quite full the past couple years

lol
    as if just existing as a trans person day to day weren't uncomfortable for me every single day, let alone talking about it at all, ever, with anyone
    but whatever, it's a perspective I think should be heard, and it would be good for me to talk about these things to become less uncomfortable with them. How to frame my narrative in a way that is true but doesn't make me terribly vulnerable in a corporate setting should be....interesting.

Props to you for stepping up. As a regular straight white dude, it always stuns me all the people that don't take a second to think how fucking hard being trans is from any number of angles.

lol

Props to you for stepping up. As a regular straight white dude, it always stuns me all the people that don't take a second to think how fucking hard being trans is from any number of angles.

I'm also a "regular" person...there's just some social interactions that stress me out.

Doesn't keep me from being a normal white collar professional whose main concerns are my career trajectory and my abysmal LoL elo :P I think people not in the community have a 'trans narrative' or 'trans experience' in mind and I can tell you, what you have in mind is almost certainly not relevant to me.

lol

I'm also a "regular" person...there's just some social interactions that stress me out.

Doesn't keep me from being a normal white collar professional whose main concerns are my career trajectory and my abysmal LoL elo :P I think people not in the community have a 'trans narrative' or 'trans experience' in mind and I can tell you, what you have in mind is almost certainly not relevant to me.

Trans people are just people. Specific narratives around groups that paints with a broad brush are likely inaccurate. Trans people shouldn't have to March or agitate for things, they should just be treated with respect and acceptance like one should treat everyone.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Marching as part of your company at a (let's face it) corporate advertising event is essentially doing PR work, so I would recommend only doing it if 1) you are comfortable having your identity being used to promote your company and 2) you get paaaid.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

This discussion has been closed.