As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Agents of SHIELD] Series finale August 12th

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    This actually makes me a little upset at how the two sides of the MCU, movies and TV, are farther apart and not more closely integrated.

Marvel's Agents of SHIELD will not address Avengers: Endgame events

http://flip.it/O07kZk

I'm also placing the blame squarely on this apparently long running and ongoing fight I just learned about between Fiege and Marvel CEO Perlmutter. One that Fiege clearly "won" when Disney stepped in and made Fiege/movie report to them and no longer directly to Marvel. New York still runs the TV side.

I went to watch Marvel movies because I enjoyed the TV show and I liked the interactions in season 1. I stopped watching the movies after they stopped being connected.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    I'm going to look at this as a case of the glass being half full as opposed to half empty; AoS being untethered from the big eventv(tm) means that the show's writers have a lot more freedom to play around with as well as a 5 year period where they can do whatever they want all of which can be ended by simply time skipping to the current time period.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    like 20% this trailer was Coulson angry strutting.

steam_sig.png
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I'm very much not feeling the Evil Coulson thing they seem to be going for. I feel like we got our fill of parallel worlds with last season's timey-wimey storyline and it wasn't particularly interesting then either.

• SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    But the turn the show took after Hydra was amazing.

More twists like that fed by the movies would also be amazing.

Alas.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I can't believe they couldn't even bother to let the TV crew know about a spoiler that's 20 minutes into the movie that would give them all the leeway in the world for Season 6.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I can't believe they couldn't even bother to let the TV crew know about a spoiler that's 20 minutes into the movie that would give them all the leeway in the world for Season 6.

Warning: Endgame spoiler!!!
    Fat Thor would have made this season.

see317 on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    @see317 Hey maybe don't post Endgame spoilers in this thread without explicitly tagging them AS Endgame spoilers?

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    see317 Hey maybe don't post Endgame spoilers in this thread without explicitly tagging them AS Endgame spoilers?

In response to a post that's clearly about spoilers in the movie? Figured that would be enough of a warning.

• GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    Watched the first episode. Maybe they split into a different multiverse during their time travels because it looks like no Snap happened(lame). Last season ended with Thanos arriving on earth and General Talbot needing more juice to go mano-a-mano. Then he catches a raw launcher from Quake and becomes a space explorer. And this season has no follow up. Did the Avengers win in the Agents of Shield-verse? I would think a bunch of people turning to dust would affect recruitment, but apparently recruitment of field agents is booming and status quo is mostly maintained.

https://ew.com/tv/2019/05/10/agents-of-shield-season-6-premiere-showrunners-interview/
    ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Last season we got a reference to the events in Avengers: Infinity War, but there wasn’t an MCU reference in the premiere. Can we expect any references or nods to Infinity War or Endgame in the new season?
    JED WHEDON: We are pre-Endgame.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: That means the season is taking place during the years with the vanished. Does that have any bearing on the story at all?
    JEFF BELL: We’re actually pre-Snap.
    WHEDON: For the multiple reasons, we had to do that. One of the main ones being that we were not positive when season 6 would air. We were pretty sure it was going to be in the summer, but if they moved us up to January and we had tied into in any way, it would’ve destroyed everything. So the safest course of action for all parties involved was for us to stay pre-Snap.

edited May 2019
    But in season 5 finale they were referencing the fact aliens were invading New York. The shadowy council of aliens were all in agreement that since Thanos' forces were there, earth was doomed.

Their bs spin in interviews is stupid. The Snap was basically days away at most, and the team have been futzing around for a year.

Geddoe on
    Yeah hey guess what.

This show aint MCU canon.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    The movies never acknowledged it, sure, but the show always tried to act like it was happening in the MCU. One way crossover, events would always trickle down, barring a few understandable omissions. This is the first real break where something has happened in a movie that needs acknowledging in AoS, and they weren't able to.

Oh brilliant
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I don't know. Comics are like this too.

If a big crossover event is happening and your favorite comic isn't in it at best it gets handwaved and at worst ignored.

It's a lot of work if not impossible to make SO many evolving stories not only happen but also be consistent across all of them.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Geddoe wrote: »
    But in season 5 finale they were referencing the fact aliens were invading New York. The shadowy council of aliens were all in agreement that since Thanos' forces were there, earth was doomed.

Their bs spin in interviews is stupid. The Snap was basically days away at most, and the team have been futzing around for a year.
    There's always the chance the season could fit within that tight space of days. There was a show called 24 where every episode covered an hour in a 24-hour period y'know!

Also it's Agents of SHIELD, a Marvel property; comic books have never been shy about time shenanigans.

But at the end of the day... the details will get flubbed once in a while and if you've been a comic book fan long enough you kinda learn to just let shit slide once in a while.

Edit - Oh also there's the whole communication difficulty without giving shit away, RE: film makers letting TV show makers in on what they need to know. Ever play Telephone?

Henroid on
    There's no chance it could fit. Without going into spoiler territory, the first episode is very clear on the time since the early Infinity War skirmish in New York.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Watched the premiere
    Great, another season of "Fitz and Simmons can't be together".

sig.gif
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    The episode by itself was alright, but if they are saying the Snap didn't happen here then the show is officially no longer MCU canon, and that's very disappointing.

• ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    https://www.tvguide.com/news/marvels-agents-of-shield-season-6-takes-place-before-thanos-snap/
    Even though the timeline is now seriously wonky, the producers are confident that fans will be forgiving — and they may even find a solution to the problem in the endless Marvel mythology.

"I live in a world where there's enough Time Lords and Chronicoms that live on the internet that they'll figure it out and explain it back to us," Loeb said. "It does work, you just have to sort of figure it out."

Okay, this is just insulting. 'It does make sense, we just don't know how. If it fucks up the canon somehow that's on you, not us.' Just fucking admit the show isn't canon anymore, don't somehow make this our fault!

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Honestly, all they need to do is say

(Endgame Spoilers)
    Black Widow got in touch with Mack or May (probably May since they are on each other's speed dial) and they know what's going on so they are focused on what SHIELD can actually do and leaving snap-related stuff to what's left of The Avengers.

Of course, going forward, if there's no background details 'saying' that half the life on planet Earth is gone, you're still stretching it more than you should, but, uh, *hand wave motions*.

sig.gif
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Scooter wrote: »
    The episode by itself was alright, but if they are saying the Snap didn't happen here then the show is officially no longer MCU canon, and that's very disappointing.

S.H.I.E.L.D has effectively not been a part of the MCU since season 2. I don't feel the show benefits much from saying the name "Thanos" once per season, so if they just ditch the conceit entirely, whatever. I just want to watch my cool comic book action spy show, I don't care if they pretend it has anything to do with the other cool comic book properties.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Honestly I wish Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. didn't go so full-bore into all the Inhumans stuff per se. I like Quake as a character but I feel like the show really honed its storytelling when it's about a bunch of normal, highly-trained people trying to contain superpowered threats. Now it feels like a mash-up of overdramatic character conflict coupled with Star Trek solutioning (replace "tachyon warp core emissions" with "Inhuman power X").

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Honestly I wish Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. didn't go so full-bore into all the Inhumans stuff per se. I like Quake as a character but I feel like the show really honed its storytelling when it's about a bunch of normal, highly-trained people trying to contain superpowered threats. Now it feels like a mash-up of overdramatic character conflict coupled with Star Trek solutioning (replace "tachyon warp core emissions" with "Inhuman power X").

Which is funny, because early on in the show's life the two most common complaints were:

Where are the people from the movies?
    Why are we watching normal people and not people with powers who go on epic adventures?

I agree that they've turned too hard in the other direction, but yeah... be careful for what you (in the royal sense) wish for.

This was the first premiere I felt disappointed in:
    Like what was mentioned above, Fitz and Simmons are separated again. They've gone to that well too many times IMO.
    Evil not-Phil Coulson is just... eh. I'd rather they leave him off screen for several episodes before revealing him if they were so determined to go that route.
    I don't remember... could the Bus fly in space last season? Regardless, I'm not a huge fan of the interplanetary stuff on the show.
    The Yo-Yo/Mack thing (or, really, non-thing) felt superfluous. If everyone's a super capable professional, why does this kind of low level personal shit matter?

I really hope this arc doesn't linger too long.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Finally watched it. I liked it, but yeah, I'm just considering this separate from the MCU at this point. There's no way to fit it in the timeline logically for me at all, especially with what happens at the beginning.

Random observations:
    • I hope they're going to reunite Fitz and Simmons quickly and wrap up the whole Deep Space SHIELD thing within a few episodes.
    • On the other hand, Fitz will be addicted to Space Heroin, so that'll be something that probably needs to be solved. Maybe Deke will know all about that by the time they reintroduce him to the show.
    • I wish I hadn't watched the scene that introduces Clark Gregg's new character a few weeks ago. Looking forward to finding out this group's origin.
    • I'm glad this will be a shorter season.

edit: one more thing
    I wonder if Enoch survived the ship being cut in half? Seems like he could have.

SteevL on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »

Which is funny, because early on in the show's life the two most common complaints were:

Where are the people from the movies?
    Why are we watching normal people and not people with powers who go on epic adventures?

I agree that they've turned too hard in the other direction, but yeah... be careful for what you (in the royal sense) wish for.

This was the first premiere I felt disappointed in:
    Like what was mentioned above, Fitz and Simmons are separated again. They've gone to that well too many times IMO.
    Evil not-Phil Coulson is just... eh. I'd rather they leave him off screen for several episodes before revealing him if they were so determined to go that route.
    I don't remember... could the Bus fly in space last season? Regardless, I'm not a huge fan of the interplanetary stuff on the show.
    The Yo-Yo/Mack thing (or, really, non-thing) felt superfluous. If everyone's a super capable professional, why does this kind of low level personal shit matter?

I really hope this arc doesn't linger too long.
    It's not the Bus, it's the Zephyr. The new one they built that has like a gravitonium drive and stuff.

steam_sig.png
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Thanks, I forgot they did that :)

I haven't seen the new season yet, and I suppose I'll get to it....

But I gotta say the lack if cohesion between Movie and TV departments, fueled by the bad blood I suppose, has really soured me on the whole thing.

Like.... I Iove Coulson and May, but if they are going to pretend Infinity War and Endgame did not change the world? Fuck them, I'm not sure I care anymore.

I love the characters, so I'll watch. Well some of them. Some of the time.

• Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    MCU tie-in, Endgame, and Far From Home spoiler-trailer commentary
    I think there's basically three routes one could take to rectify this (the show-runners are either being disingenuous to conceal a later surprise / avoid Far From Home spoilers or are uninterested in this now):

1. This is one year post-Snap, and the Snap happened. As luck would have it, none of the recurring characters of Agents of Shield vanished. At a dozen or so people, that's around a 1/4096 chance. While stupidly low, there have been a number of more improbable things that have happened. Also a dozen might be overshooting it, and the chance is only 1/256 with 8 people.

2. This is post-Endgame, and some characters are 5 years older compared to the rest of the team than before. The search party were Snapped out, and it wasn't practical to launch the search efforts until after they returned (or Jemma is the one who forced it to occur, but she had to return first).

3. Far From Home is officially bringing the multiverse front-and-center of the MCU, so that's definitely a possibility now. It won't even matter if some characters and/or shows are from different universes because they're all colliding now, and things are going to get weird. I don't think the title is simply a reference to Europe vs the States.

I think we can actually take our cues from this based on how Far From Home works. Spider-man is clearly still the same age as several of his classmates, and he has a 5-year skip, so they must have been Snapped out too. So, is his class now half of the former class mixed with people who were 5 years younger but are now the same age? Or are they going to do something super weird and multiverse-collide post-Endgame into the immediate aftermath of Infinity War to avoid the half 5-year-skip situations?

Fleur de Alys on
    Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    My thoughts on the show, until it says otherwise.
    I'm just assuming that it is one year post snap and it just happened that none of the major characters were dusted.

I'm ok with that thinking and I quite enjoyed the first episode. I'm curious as to this evil Coulson and what dimension he is from.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I don't mind this being an offshoot series from here on tbh. The MCU connections were fun at first but now I'm just treating it like a comic book happening during a crossover event that stays doing its own thing. I'm here for the gang getting into weird hijinks and having fun character interactions and made peace with us never getting a Winter Soldier level event again years ago.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    How is AoS not MCU Canon when a character introduced in the fucking movies HEADLINES the fucking show?

I hate hate hate that they are trying to distance themselves from each other when we very purposefully have the show thanks to the popularity of Agent Coulson.

<nerd rage!!!>

• LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Shawnasee wrote: »
    How is AoS not MCU Canon when a character introduced in the fucking movies HEADLINES the fucking show?

I hate hate hate that they are trying to distance themselves from each other when we very purposefully have the show thanks to the popularity of Agent Coulson.

<nerd rage!!!>

because Ike Perlmutter still had (has?) control over Marvel TV and Feige wanted to get the hell away from Perlmutter as much as possible.

Ike Perlmutter, the ToyBiz CEO that got folded into Marvel's executives back in the day who is responsible for such brilliant decisions as "Stop making X-Men Merchandise, because Fox owns the movie rights" and, if memory serves, generally shoving the Fantastic Four out of being published because marvel also no longer owned the film rights.

As well as why it took forever to get films that weren't lead by white dudes, because Perlmutter also kept fighting against more diverse leading characters.

What I am saying here is Ike Perlmutter is very bad at managing a multibillion dollar collection of characters and their stories.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's always been a one way flow - stuff from the movies effects the TV shows but not vice versa.

This time, the movies couldn't even tell the TV show what was happening, so they are just separate now.

OR

The Kree time travel monolith thingy brought them back to an alt-universe where the Snap never happened.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    McFodder wrote: »
    Yeah, it's always been a one way flow - stuff from the movies effects the TV shows but not vice versa.

This time, the movies couldn't even tell the TV show what was happening, so they are just separate now.

OR

The Kree time travel monolith thingy brought them back to an alt-universe where the Snap never happened.

The only explanation I can think of to explain it, is a little hard to explain, but is based on your latter example. It's unclear if EndGame spoilers are fair game, so I'll just stick it all behind spoilers for safety.
    So, I see the only real explanation, is sort of a reverse time branch, of sorts.

lzo0927hbjxb.jpg

And the explanation is, the Agents of SHIELD we've been watching all along, is from the alternate timeline where the "snap" was undone, and two separate timelines have merged, those for who the snap happened, and those for who it didn't. The top line being the MCU, the bottom line being the AOSU.

It's a stupid f'n idea, and if that's what the AoS showrunners are thinking, they're stupid too. But it does give an explanation for HOW it could fit into a timeline, if you don't look at it too hard. But then again, no time travel holds up if you look at it too hard.

Not doing it. Not jumping through any mental hoops to justify the separation between TV and movies. I shall remain disappointed.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I’ll just assume that Thanos created an alternate universe with the snap and the Avengers managed to beat Thanos in Wakanda and reverse the snap.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    McFodder wrote: »

OR

The only explanation I can think of to explain it, is a little hard to explain, but is based on your latter example. It's unclear if EndGame spoilers are fair game, so I'll just stick it all behind spoilers for safety.
    So, I see the only real explanation, is sort of a reverse time branch, of sorts.

lzo0927hbjxb.jpg

And the explanation is, the Agents of SHIELD we've been watching all along, is from the alternate timeline where the "snap" was undone, and two separate timelines have merged, those for who the snap happened, and those for who it didn't. The top line being the MCU, the bottom line being the AOSU.

It's a stupid f'n idea, and if that's what the AoS showrunners are thinking, they're stupid too. But it does give an explanation for HOW it could fit into a timeline, if you don't look at it too hard. But then again, no time travel holds up if you look at it too hard.
    I... actually really like this a lot.

Yep, going with this one.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting