As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFBE] - Katy Perry finally ending soon. Banner is a trap!

ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
edited September 2019 in Games and Technology
y5g9crza5vp7.png

What is Final Fantasy Brave Exvius?
A mobile game for iOS and Android, produced in collaboration between Square Enix (Final Fantasy et al) and Gumi/Alim (responsible for Brave Frontier). The game’s story is based around a young knight named Rain and his friend and stepbrother Lasswell, who one day encounter a strange sight: a young girl trapped in a crystal. Following her words, they encounter the power of “Visions,” or the ability to summon warriors from other places and times to assist in battle.

Note to new or returning players
You can now make 7 star units with dupe 5 stars, and it means that you can spend even more resources failing to get OP units! Whooo!

I've played Brave Frontier and liked/hated it. How does this compare?
Final Fantasy Brave Exvius is an expanded spin on Brave Frontier, with whom it shares some similarities. It's another gacha game, meaning you will earn in-game currency, coming in the form of Friend Points and Lapis, to summon new units on a seemingly unfair spreadsheet of hidden factors that emerge in the form of unique characters, and many familiar to the world of Final Fantasy. This game, though, adds the usual Final Fantasy elements of equipment and materia, giving a surprising depth to the gameplay as units can be mixed and matched with different abilities and stats boosted or modified.Each unit can equip up to 6 types of equipment and 4 materia, but each unit also has limitations and advantages to what they can equip and use.

You mentioned Final Fantasy characters? I love Final Fantasy!
FFBE has a wide variety of characters from Final Fantasy, with its own beefy roster of unique names original to FFBE. Characters from Final Fantasy 1 all the way to 15 and even outliers such as Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy Type-0 are represented. We have pretty much all major FFs represented at this point. Yay!

The roster of characters in game is a mishmash of various Final Fantasy games and units exclusive to FFBE, although most people care about the FF characters. As previously mentioned, characters are added to the gacha, usually alongside special events that tie into the game they're from (unless it's just more FFBE exclusives). Unlike other games of this type, the rarity isn't just in the higher rank of the unit, but also the characters themselves.

Further, different units are good at different things. Some are chainers, some straight damage or support, healers, and so forth. Good units often do a useful mix of those abilities.

Here's a link to a site that will update regularly as the global version gets more characters, and ranks the units by various categories to back up the reasoning for their position in the tier list. Unit Rankings

I'm new, and got a bunch of these characters out of my first 11-pull. Are any of these good? I love Shadow/Sabin/Penelo!

Unfortunately, your Shadow/Sabin/Penelo are some of the worst characters in the game. Yes, they are beloved Final Fantasy characters, but that doesn't exclude them from being King of the Trash Heap. Someone has to be, right? A lot of early characters are mainline Final Fantasy units, but by nature of power creep, they’ve been long overshadowed by new units. Different units are powerful or weak in different ways, and just because a unit is popular in their original Final Fantasy series doesn’t mean they will be useful in FFBE.

However, FFBE is unique in that many older units are perfectly viable. Good team composition and strategy can make mid-tier units very good, and sometimes spending a bit of time thinking through a tough fight can result in eeking out a well-deserved win. Many players are F2P (they spend no money) and have a good roster of units, or are otherwise able to tackle some of the hardest content in the game.

If you're just starting out and want to know who to look for, note that as we are 18 months into the game, the hardest content tends to require some fancy gear and "rainbow" base units. If you see a rainbow crystal, rejoice, for it will grant a 5* base unit, which range from useful to very powerful and can easily secure a spot on your team! Now, get 2 of them!

The state of the game:
Pull for 5 star units, as they have the best future, and most, when they get to 7 stars, will carry your team.

Helpful Links:

ExviusWiki: Best source for Global version information, with maps for exploration dungeons, quest guides, and unit details.

Final Fantasy Brave Exvius Reddit: The reddit community for FFBE, containing info and updates for both the Japan and Global versions. Check here if you want to know what kind of stuff we'll get 5-6 months in advance since Japan gets it first. Also contains useful player-submitted guides, and has a Wiki which is up to date with the current state of Japan's game, so you can look ahead at unit enhancements and trust masteries, that sort of thing.

Friend ID List!:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HfEIPxz_tV42C8dhfSiuVsWJ_f2YQhXiNg5BwiuJCik/edit?usp=sharing

To find your friend ID in the game, tap Home in the upper right corner (on most screens), then the Menu icon in the upper right, then Player Info on the left. Your ID should look like this in your little character card: 123,456,789. This is also where you change your greeting, and rename your character if you like. Adding friends is the only way to use your "guest character" limit break in combat, and only your current party's Leader is shared to friends. Remember to set a Companion Party from the Options in the Main Menu! This way, you will always have a party set up with a specific character that will be shared to your friends, and you should never ever edit that party except to change the Leader if you want to change who you share.

aqnn3q0cw6aq.png

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
Shadowfire on

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Did my Xenogears summons. Fused units. Got Maria's STMR (sexy) and No Good Jake's as well for IW to give to Citan which, again, it feels fucking wrong to give him a gun instead of a katana.

So the gun, Ultima Weapon, and Excalibur to run this time around. Should be a busy IW. Good thing they are giving us orb pots. :rotate:

• marajimaraji Registered User regular
    Excalibur (ffbe)
    Lion Heart x2
    Masamune (ffx)
    Asterisk
    Gilgamesh 2.0 katana, if can run it in time
    Lust Dagger
    Bowie Knife

... yeah that’s not getting done

• DK_AzraelDK_Azrael Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Hopefully I can clear Gilgamesh before IW ends, if I do my goals will be: Lionheart, Greg 2.0 Katana, Lust Dagger, and if I have time, I'll try to get better rolls on my Bowie Knives. It's going to be busy but I have almost 200 orbs, so lots of tries lol.
    Should be able to round out my Esther and Zeno builds with this, 3k+ on Zeno and 2.8k 2-hand Esther.

DK_Azrael on
  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Oh hey, some pretty decent buffs for Yego and Nagi. Big ones for Yego include changing her chaining family from PD to AT, and giving her more T-Ability uptime. Still not meta, but better.

Nagi is a pretty great hybrid unit, pretty much a more damaging Malphasie without the party support.

First run through IW got a grand total of 4% ATK. Not a great start.

Shadowfire wrote: »
    First run through IW got a grand total of 4% ATK. Not a great start.

I feel that, I've run Lionheart 3 times already and got the same roll all 3 times, which was the same roll I had before I started lol

Speaking of Gilgamesh 2.0, can anyone put up a Rainbow Whip unit this evening, I want to take a stab at him tonight after work.

DK_Azrael wrote: »
    Speaking of Gilgamesh 2.0, can anyone put up a Rainbow Whip unit this evening, I want to take a stab at him tonight after work.

Any specific unit you want? Want a physical damage dealer like Yun or a magic damage dealer?

• Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    my entire run through IW will be Bahamut's Tear until I get the rare with good atk values.

its gonna be boring.

Any specific unit you want? Want a physical damage dealer like Yun or a magic damage dealer?

I'm honestly not sure, I'm planning to take evade Sieghard, Esther, Zeno, LM Fina, and MS Nichol, any suggestions?

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular

I'd wait till tomorrow when it's half off energy. That's my plan.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    my entire run through IW will be Bahamut's Tear until I get the rare with good atk values.

its gonna be boring.

Same here but with Ultima weapon. First run was not a great sign though ha.

• Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    my first run through gave me 22% which is decent but man I'm aiming for closer to 40%

My first run through with Excalibur (FFBE) was 15% ATK and 10% HP. I...can do better.

Trajan45 wrote: »

I'd wait till tomorrow when it's half off energy. That's my plan.

700 NRG pots.

haha true. Though you know as soon as you spend them all, the story reset will come.

I'm honestly not sure, I'm planning to take evade Sieghard, Esther, Zeno, LM Fina, and MS Nichol, any suggestions?

I put up Yun for now, atk around 2100 and rainbow whip. Let me know if that works out.

• ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    Cruor wrote: »
    Oh hey, some pretty decent buffs for Yego and Nagi. Big ones for Yego include changing her chaining family from PD to AT, and giving her more T-Ability uptime. Still not meta, but better.

Nagi is a pretty great hybrid unit, pretty much a more damaging Malphasie without the party support.

One of the best buffs for Yego was just them releasing Sylvie. She can imbue earth and, if needed, provide AT frames. Yego being able to imperil earth by 100% is pretty good when you have another chainer with earth imbued.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Can someone see if you can see the old Gilgamesh trial? My coworker and friend cannot.

But I can. They see everything else though.

urahonky on
  • Joe Camacho MKIIJoe Camacho MKII Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Can someone see if you can see the old Gilgamesh trial? My coworker and friend cannot.

I can also see it.

steam_sig.png I edit my posts a lot.

Have they finished all the trials before Gilgamesh? There's some gating going on now based on progress.

Have they finished all the trials before Gilgamesh? There's some gating going on now based on progress.

They can see all the way up to the Machine (latest one I see too). It's very odd.

• ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    I can't see anything about Attack of Gilgamesh (the old one) being missing or being gated. Google searching only finds people not seeing Scorn of Gilgamesh, which is gated by the previous Scorn trials.

By trying to find anything about it, I ended up looking at the Gamepedia page for the old Gilgamesh trial. He has 1 million HP. It's so... quaint. How far we've come.

Yeah they are both in need of a decent Katana (one has Akstar at 6*). It's very weird.

It's in my list. Looks like I was wrong and the 1/2 nrg stuff started today.

Anyone want to throw up a CG Fina with Summer Whip would be awesome. I'll try Greg 2.0 again.

• JayceJayce Registered User regular

I don’t see original Gilgamesh either, even though I’ve cleared it. I also noticed that I still haven’t bothered to clear original Antenolla (never needed a Thorned Mace); maybe that’s why?

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    You have to do them in order. Dumb change.

• marajimaraji Registered User regular
    Yeah they are both in need of a decent Katana (one has Akstar at 6*). It's very weird.

Sakurafubuki is in the rewards for IW this time. :P

I can see it, FWIW

Trajan45 wrote: »
    It's in my list. Looks like I was wrong and the 1/2 nrg stuff started today.

Anyone want to throw up a CG Fina with Summer Whip would be awesome. I'll try Greg 2.0 again.

Mine’s up. Anything specific you want changed?
    83gw6zueqtnr.jpeg
    gfxls5stcu48.jpeg

edited May 2019
    Not sure, been awhile since I did Greg 2.0. Looks good to me.

EDIT: lol and right out of the gate, forgot about Genji Bow and party wipe turn 2. Really really wish they'd do some sort of friend improvement. Now I have to wait hours to try again.

Trajan45 on
    omglowhiyfqo.jpg

That'll do.

Second run of Excalibur (FFBE) : 15% ATK, 10% ATK, 15% HP.

Yes, ok, that's about as good as it can get without the rare. Moving on!

• Joe Camacho MKIIJoe Camacho MKII Registered User regular
    Guys.

I need to open some inventory space. Are the exclusive equipment for the FFXIV guys any good? I do have all of them, but don't really use them. I have a bunch of better equipment. I just don't want to sell it and later realize I need them for later.

Thanks for the help!

steam_sig.png I edit my posts a lot.
    Guys.

I need to open some inventory space. Are the exclusive equipment for the FFXIV guys any good? I do have all of them, but don't really use them. I have a bunch of better equipment. I just don't want to sell it and later realize I need them for later.

Thanks for the help!

Nope. When was the last time you used Y'shtola/Minfilia/Thancred? Sell that junk. Same for Shantotto's exclusive gear, if you still have that.

• TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    Poor Y'shtola. She was my main healer for a long time.

TeaSpoon wrote: »
    Poor Y'shtola. She was my main healer for a long time.

Same, I used her from the first FFXIV raid up until I pulled Ayaka off banner, well after her event. It still kinda sucks that they didn't give her a 7 star form.

These weapons from the raid are embarrassing bad rewards. No wonder Aldore can't beat Hess if these are the weapons their soldiers are using.

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    These weapons from the raid are embarrassing bad rewards. No wonder Aldore can't beat Hess if these are the weapons their soldiers are using.

Why ARE they so bad? Not meta, I get. But this would be bad a year ago.

Just like the bundles... They don't care anymore.

It makes sense to me. They are really easy to get, so they'll always be targeting newer players. Anything over 100 in a stat starts going TMR territory and those come from trials. Even the easter stuff was designed for a newish player who may have gotten Esther but didn't have any gear for her. No experienced player would use it.

I wish these events had a harder mode to them that had TMR level stuff, but then that would take a lot more work, and I'm not sure they aren't entering the life support stage.

Oh hey, threw some tickets at the banner and got MSNichol#1. A bit late, but cool.