As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Purple mattress?

PeenPeen Registered User regular
Hey y'all. We're starting to think about replacing our 11 year old pillow topped memory foam mattress and I've heard good rumbling around Purple as a brand. I went and laid on one and it seems ok but I was curious if anyone here has one and has opinions?

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    I know a couple of people who tried them and for one didn't find them comfortable. They ended out returning it and buying a Tuft & Needle and really liked it, so on their advice that's what I ended out going with.

Both people said that there's an odor to the mattress when first unwrapped that was very strong and the guy who kept it ended out getting used to it and likes it now but complains it can get warm.

I'd just recommend saving whatever packaging it comes with and be prepared to return it.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    I know a couple of people who tried them and for one didn't find them comfortable. They ended out returning it and buying a Tuft & Needle and really liked it, so on their advice that's what I ended out going with.

Both people said that there's an odor to the mattress when first unwrapped that was very strong and the guy who kept it ended out getting used to it and likes it now but complains it can get warm.

I'd just recommend saving whatever packaging it comes with and be prepared to return it.

I got a couple of shredded memory foam pillows and I can definitely vouch for the odor thing being an issue.

Luckily after washing and drying the pillows a few times the odor is gone entirely.

I'm not sure how you do that with an entire mattress though.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Purple mattress isn't shredded memory foam, though. The top layer is a kind of rubbery matrix thing, though I guess the rest is solid memory foam, but solid and shredded don't smell the same, IMO. My husband and I have a couple of their pillows (which are all the rubbery stuff, no foam), and it took a while to get used to them, but I definitely do like the pillows. The thing is, they're very heavy, I assume a mattress with a topper of the same material would be quite heavy as compared to the Tuft and Needle or Casper variety. Don't know if that affects your opinion of the mattress or not, but thought I'd mention it in case it does.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    we got a Casper mattress and love it. CR rated them one of the best ones
    if you are a costco member they have had a deal with them and some others too

costco also has their own private labeled one. nova something or another that is supposed good too.

For us we didn't want something we couldn't lay on. Fortunately Casper has a physical location near us . Their pillow is awesome too.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    I also have a Caspar mattress, its been solid enough for us to use it on our wooden slats without a box spring.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    never heard of Purple, but we have a Tuft and Needle that is amazing! It's a shame they're no longer inexpensive though =/

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I've got a purple mattress; it's great for both sleep and sex. I basically just picked randomly between the 3-4 better known internet mattress retailers to get it, because they all have basically the same price and make the same claims about their mattress vs. the other ones.

I also got their sheet set; they're some of the most comfortable sheets I've ever slept on but started developing holes alarmingly quickly, so I can't really recommend them

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Xaquin wrote: »
    never heard of Purple, but we have a Tuft and Needle that is amazing! It's a shame they're no longer inexpensive though =/

Lucky you. I got blitzed pretty hard by their YouTube ad campaign when they first came out; as a result I was intruiged, but then couldn't trust any YouTube reviews of it saying it was good.

Delzhand how was the smell / when did you get it? The reviews I do not trust say it was something they have since fixed, but my bed-mate is very sensitive to smells.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Fuck me, wrong name. @Dehumanized

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I bought the mattress a couple years ago so I can't exactly recall, but I barely remember it being an issue and only for maybe a couple days. I did have my bedroom windows/doors open to let it air out faster though.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    My fiancé and I got one and she loves it. I personally don't care because I can sleep on anything but she says that it definitely helps her insomnia. It was a bit pricey but we needed a new mattress anyway and it made her happy which was worth it.

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

Lucky you. I got blitzed pretty hard by their YouTube ad campaign when they first came out; as a result I was intruiged, but then couldn't trust any YouTube reviews of it saying it was good.

Delzhand how was the smell / when did you get it? The reviews I do not trust say it was something they have since fixed, but my bed-mate is very sensitive to smells.

our casper smelled maybe for a week tops but we also had a waterproof protecter on it (non-casper) that may have made it last longer

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Purple / Casper mattresses smell pretty badly of volatile organic fumes for the first few days. You will need to air it out for a week or so. Ours is very comfortable but my biggest disappointment is how hot the mattress can get. That was definitely not advertised in any way.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    They specifically sell it as good at remaining cool, because of the cell structure of the top layer. It's disappointing to hear that it gets hot.

Thanks everyone, this has been helpful!

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    I own a Casper as well and love it. I bought in early, in 2015, and it's been great since then. I will note though that it was a bit too firm for my taste (back then they only had 1 firmness) but they sent out a custom latex topper for free that is pretty great and sleeps fairly cool. Casper by itself should do the same as it's topped with perforated latex, which is nowhere near as hot as memory foam can get.

• Options
    yea i don't think the casper sleeps hot at all and I like to be cold when I sleep

camo_sig.png