As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PC Games - Void Bastards, Outer Wilds, Draugen & Atmocity out today!

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    i don't really understand what the john wick game is. is it a...tactical turn based thing with one character?

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    i don't really understand what the john wick game is. is it a...tactical turn based thing with one character?

Seems to be, yeah

Which honestly sounds ideal to me

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    It definitely looks like it captures the feel of the John Wick fight scenes better than a third/first person shooter could

• ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Satisfactory for $20 bucks is an incredible steal. Hell I would have paid more than $30 for the amount of time I've spent with it. A great game as-is and not even done yet.

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    I just saw a twitter post saying it would be more moral to pirate games than to buy them from Epic

That sure is a take

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Is there any like security reason not to use the epic store at this point?

The only reason I haven't is cause I'm lazy but there is stuff on sale I want

As long as they aren't more likely get my credit card number stolen than steam I'll probably install it when I get home

2x39jD4.jpg
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I just saw a twitter post saying it would be more moral to pirate games than to buy them from Epic

That sure is a take

26 And it came to pass, when Gabe had finished all these sayings, he said unto his gamers,

2 Ye know that after two days is the sale of the equinox, and the steamy storefront is betrayed of its exclusives.

3 Then assembled together the developers, and the journalists, and the hardcore gamers, unto the master of the epic games, who was called Sweeny,

4 And consulted that they might take the steamy storefront by subtilty, and kill it.

14 Then one of the gamers, called Nubass Icareanot, went unto the developers,

15 And said unto them, What will ye give me, and I will deliver Gabe unto you? And they covenanted with him for thirty percent off hot exclusives.

16 And from that time he sought opportunity to betray him.

• expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »

As long as they aren't more likely get my credit card number stolen than steam I'll probably install it when I get home

I think it's hard to say. They've been lazy about other aspects of stuff that consumers CAN see, I personally shudder to think about what things I can't see look like.

Like, there's only so many times you can say "Whoops, yeah, we shouldn't have done it that way or done that at all, but we were just in such a rush to get the store setup that we cut some corners. We'll totally fix it now that we got caught." before I start doubting that there's a single area where you haven't rushed and cut critical corners.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I know when the game store first started getting big a lot of people reported security issues from bots trying to hack into Fortnite accounts, but I feel like that's died down a bit - I know I got hit with a login attempt a few weeks back, and it emailed me to check if it was me and prompted me to turn on 2FA. So I felt okay entering in my credit card info for today's sale, at least.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
    expendable wrote: »

I think it's hard to say. They've been lazy about other aspects of stuff that consumers CAN see, I personally shudder to think about what things I can't see look like.

Like, there's only so many times you can say "Whoops, yeah, we shouldn't have done it that way or done that at all, but we were just in such a rush to get the store setup that we cut some corners. We'll totally fix it now that we got caught." before I start doubting that there's a single area where you haven't rushed and cut critical corners.

the storefront itself is still a mess

like there's no real way to view a list of all the games, or by category, you can search for a specific game and that's kinda it

but that's somewhat mitigated because they only have ~50 games for sale

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    7 dollars for Hades is absurd

That is probably Supergiant's best-playing game by a mile and it is an absolute must play

6F32U1X.png
    Brolo wrote: »

like there's no real way to view a list of all the games, or by category, you can search for a specific game and that's kinda it

Also no cart at least from what I can tell from buying things today

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »

Also no cart at least from what I can tell from buying things today

PII aspects aside, I have yet to hear that people with Fortnite playtime *aren't* getting 2FA spam from people trying to get into their accounts.

That's the only reason I'm trying to (mentally) jump through a way to make purchases with some sort of GC or burner credit card number.

I did see that you can tell it not to save your credit card number but up to you how much you trust that on the backend.

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I've got a trustworthy backend

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular

gurl you got a thicc infrastructure

YaYa wrote: »

gurl you got a thicc infrastructure

my pipeline is tight and needs to be filled up with regular content updates

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    who among us doesn't love infrastructure

• DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular

Very jealous of this

• expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

I like big infrastructure, I cannot lie

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular

It's been well established that those hips don't lie.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

any red-blooded american

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    that's not true, americans love their stupid fuckin' eight-lane highways

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    that's not true, americans love their stupid fuckin' eight-lane highways

so long as it's crumbling

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular

D2 was disappointing for me but

Fuckin' that line is great

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Hell, I liked Destiny 2 a fair bit but that line still stands out as a high point.

it's the best piece of writing in the game by a huge margin, and Lance Reddick absolutely made a lunch of it

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Hades sounds great but I don’t play early access games and I don’t really want yet another installer on my computer and also I’m not the biggest fan of Epic’s money hat exclusivity strategy.

But also I’m not the biggest fan of steam.

And I do like Supergiant in general.

So I will probably just wait.

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Looking at game due for release on steam on may 20 called
    Sometimes to Deal with the Difficulty of Being Alive, I Need to Believe There Is a Possibility That Life Is Not Real.

It's made by folk who make trippy art installations.
    Reminds me of a 3D
    game, game, game, and again game

VayBJ4e.png

7JeFXAr.png

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    You can refund all preorders on the Epic Store
    What about preorders?
    You can cancel your preorder and get a refund at any time before release. After the game is released, you can request a refund within 14 days if you have not played the game for more than 2 hours. For purposes of this policy, “release” includes any playable version of the game, including beta versions.

So, you can kind of risk-free preorder? You have two weeks/two hours after release to decide whether you like it or not.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    So... Hades.

I loved Bastion so much that I played through it three times in a row. The gameplay is great, the story is great, the music is brilliant.

Then I loathed Transistor intensely because the gameplay alternated between frustratingly miserable and incredibly boring and the story was eye-rollingly stupid. And Pyre seemed ok but I sucked at it so refunded after about an hour because I didn't have any fun.

How does it fall on that scale?

Aistan on
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    So... Hades.

I loved Bastion so much that I played through it three times in a row. The gameplay is great, the story is great, the music is brilliant.

Then I loathed Transistor intensely because the gameplay alternated between frustratingly miserable and incredibly boring and the story was eye-rollingly stupid. And Pyre seemed ok but I sucked at it so refunded after about an hour because I didn't have any fun.

How does it fall on that scale?

I describe Hades as the gameplay of Bastion with the story of Transistor and the Characters of Pyre.

It plays a lot like Bastion does, that sort of top-down real time action. Different weapons, special powers, dashing, that sort of thing. Except it's wrapped in a very clever and well executed roguelite kind of style, where every time you die you go back to the House of Hades and have to begin anew.

Except going back to the house isn't that bad a thing. The characters there have new things to say to you, the currencies you earn during a run can unlock new weapons or permanent boosts for you, and aspects of the story itself progress. You get 10 minutes or so to just relax and recompose yourself before you go back out.

It's an extremely satisfying game to play through from top to bottom.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Story of Transistor isn't promising. Do you at least know who the person talking to you via narration is in Hades?

I might pick it up then just wait for it to be done. My track record with roguelikes is that once I finish the game i'm done and will never touch it again. Even if all the content isn't out yet. That's what happened with Dead Cells and Crypt of the Necrodancer.

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Story of Transistor isn't promising. Do you at least know who the person talking to you via narration is in Hades?

I might pick it up then just wait for it to be done. My track record with roguelikes is that once I finish the game i'm done and will never touch it again. Even if all the content isn't out yet. That's what happened with Dead Cells and Crypt of the Necrodancer.

You knew in Transistor too though right?

But there isn't a constant narrator like there was in Bastion... There's a narrator who pops in occasionally for some parts but it's mostly just talking to the other characters in the game, or your protagonist himself talking about stuff.

I say story of Transistor because imo Transistor has the most compelling narrative structure of all the games. That's just my personal view though! In essence a lot of the motivations of characters and details of past events that have led up to the current situation are fed to you bit by bit as your progress through the game. It's very non-linear, and that's kinda what I loved about Transistor's narrative design.

• HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Never mind, just check Brolo's post above that I missed.

HiT BiT on
  • HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    And cross quoting from the G&T Steam thread:
    SteevL wrote: »
    In other non-Steam related news, you can get Steep for free on Uplay:

57597f6a0c8ee468458b4567.jpg?sw=220&sh=440&sm=fit

HiT BiT on
    i wonder what steep is like now

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular