Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

PC Games - Void Bastards, Outer Wilds, Draugen & Atmocity out today!

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »
    I've got a trustworthy backend

gurl you got a thicc infrastructure

my pipeline is tight and needs to be filled up with regular content updates

YaYaCrippl3milskigodmodechrishallett83
  • ShortyShorty JUDGE BROSEF Registered User regular
    who among us doesn't love infrastructure

Tube wrote: »
    I was legit hoping that Shorty was somehow mistaken and the world wasn't that fucked
    MorivethBroloTynnanLuvTheMonkeyTofystedethStiltscursedkingDiarmuidcB557PeewiCrippl3Lord_AsmodeusBobbleVeaglemilskiOlivawgodmodeSorcechrishallett83
  • DiarmuidDiarmuid Registered User regular

Very jealous of this

Broloel_vicioBobble
  • expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

I like big infrastructure, I cannot lie

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
    Brolo
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular

It's been well established that those hips don't lie.

Brolo
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular

any red-blooded american

that's not true, americans love their stupid fuckin' eight-lane highways

I was legit hoping that Shorty was somehow mistaken and the world wasn't that fucked
    godmode
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular
    that's not true, americans love their stupid fuckin' eight-lane highways

so long as it's crumbling

KwoaruYaYaSirEtchwartsKristmas Kthulhudarunia106StiltsKarozMidnitecB557Crippl3BobblemilskiOlivawgodmodechrishallett83
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular

D2 was disappointing for me but

Fuckin' that line is great

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
    TofystedethShortyMorivethDyvim TvarMr Sparkles
  • MorivethMoriveth Just my luck! There's a phone between these rocks! Registered User regular
    Hell, I liked Destiny 2 a fair bit but that line still stands out as a high point.

ShortycB557TofystedethCrippl3Stilts
    it's the best piece of writing in the game by a huge margin, and Lance Reddick absolutely made a lunch of it

Dyvim TvarTofystedethQuantumTurkStiltsOlivaw
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Hades sounds great but I don’t play early access games and I don’t really want yet another installer on my computer and also I’m not the biggest fan of Epic’s money hat exclusivity strategy.

But also I’m not the biggest fan of steam.

And I do like Supergiant in general.

So I will probably just wait.

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Not on Any Podcast or Affliated Don't Even Own a MikeRegistered User regular
    Looking at game due for release on steam on may 20 called
    Sometimes to Deal with the Difficulty of Being Alive, I Need to Believe There Is a Possibility That Life Is Not Real.

It's made by folk who make trippy art installations.
    Reminds me of a 3D
    game, game, game, and again game

VayBJ4e.png
    TofystedethBrolo

7JeFXAr.png

cB557Metzger MeisterBobbleironsizideMugsleychrishallett83
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    You can refund all preorders on the Epic Store
    What about preorders?
    You can cancel your preorder and get a refund at any time before release. After the game is released, you can request a refund within 14 days if you have not played the game for more than 2 hours. For purposes of this policy, “release” includes any playable version of the game, including beta versions.

So, you can kind of risk-free preorder? You have two weeks/two hours after release to decide whether you like it or not.

• AistanAistan Registered User regular
    edited May 16
    So... Hades.

I loved Bastion so much that I played through it three times in a row. The gameplay is great, the story is great, the music is brilliant.

Then I loathed Transistor intensely because the gameplay alternated between frustratingly miserable and incredibly boring and the story was eye-rollingly stupid. And Pyre seemed ok but I sucked at it so refunded after about an hour because I didn't have any fun.

How does it fall on that scale?

Aistan on
    steam_sig.png
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    So... Hades.

I loved Bastion so much that I played through it three times in a row. The gameplay is great, the story is great, the music is brilliant.

Then I loathed Transistor intensely because the gameplay alternated between frustratingly miserable and incredibly boring and the story was eye-rollingly stupid. And Pyre seemed ok but I sucked at it so refunded after about an hour because I didn't have any fun.

How does it fall on that scale?

I describe Hades as the gameplay of Bastion with the story of Transistor and the Characters of Pyre.

It plays a lot like Bastion does, that sort of top-down real time action. Different weapons, special powers, dashing, that sort of thing. Except it's wrapped in a very clever and well executed roguelite kind of style, where every time you die you go back to the House of Hades and have to begin anew.

Except going back to the house isn't that bad a thing. The characters there have new things to say to you, the currencies you earn during a run can unlock new weapons or permanent boosts for you, and aspects of the story itself progress. You get 10 minutes or so to just relax and recompose yourself before you go back out.

It's an extremely satisfying game to play through from top to bottom.

BrolocursedkingKwoaruMahnmut
  • AistanAistan Registered User regular
    Story of Transistor isn't promising. Do you at least know who the person talking to you via narration is in Hades?

I might pick it up then just wait for it to be done. My track record with roguelikes is that once I finish the game i'm done and will never touch it again. Even if all the content isn't out yet. That's what happened with Dead Cells and Crypt of the Necrodancer.

steam_sig.png
    Story of Transistor isn't promising. Do you at least know who the person talking to you via narration is in Hades?

I might pick it up then just wait for it to be done. My track record with roguelikes is that once I finish the game i'm done and will never touch it again. Even if all the content isn't out yet. That's what happened with Dead Cells and Crypt of the Necrodancer.

You knew in Transistor too though right?

But there isn't a constant narrator like there was in Bastion... There's a narrator who pops in occasionally for some parts but it's mostly just talking to the other characters in the game, or your protagonist himself talking about stuff.

I say story of Transistor because imo Transistor has the most compelling narrative structure of all the games. That's just my personal view though! In essence a lot of the motivations of characters and details of past events that have led up to the current situation are fed to you bit by bit as your progress through the game. It's very non-linear, and that's kinda what I loved about Transistor's narrative design.

• HiT BiTHiT BiT Fresh, straight from Pac-Man's 🍒 Registered User regular
    edited May 16
    Never mind, just check Brolo's post above that I missed.

HiT BiT on
  • HiT BiTHiT BiT Fresh, straight from Pac-Man's 🍒 Registered User regular
    edited May 16
    And cross quoting from the G&T Steam thread:
    SteevL wrote: »
    In other non-Steam related news, you can get Steep for free on Uplay:

57597f6a0c8ee468458b4567.jpg?sw=220&sh=440&sm=fit

HiT BiT on
    BroloDepressperadoCrippl3StiltsKristmas KthulhuOlivawSorce
    i wonder what steep is like now

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

It's been an uphill development.

el_vicioDarkPrimusDyvim TvarMidniteStiltsLord_AsmodeusBobbleSnicketysnickKristmas KthulhuOlivawgodmodeSorcechrishallett83
    Brolo wrote: »

It's been an uphill development.

tres ironic!

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister Registered User regular
    Oh come on now, you're turning a mountain into a molehill, it can't have been all that rocky.

el_vicio
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    My new favorite flex is gamers getting angry at Epic for having a sale, and saying they're "bribing" people to use the store.

97H9G7S.png PSN - Masked Unit | FFXIV - Laitarne Gilgamesh
    ChiselphanerhylithDyvim TvarMidniteStiltsBobbleKwoaruAl_watcB557Kristmas KthulhuAistanWheatBun01OlivawSorceVeldrin
  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular

you currently can't finish it. There's a terminal area but it isn't the final one.

I would agree with the non-linear aspect of the story working really well. The reasons why you're trying to escape Hades are revealed kind of slowly, and the relationships you have with other characters are revealed by:

- giving them gifts to make them like you (you also get modifiers to your runs by doing this)
    - talking to them on repeated runs

Like, one of the first "bosses" you face will show up in the house of hades when you come back if you defeat them on that run (because they're playing by the same rules you are), and that's the only way to further that story/relationship.

PoorochondriacStraightzi
    also your kinda grumpy brother shows up from time to time to 'help' you beat a room of enemies and then shows up back at the house at the end of that run where you can talk to him

a lot of the little incidental bits of storytelling are just marvellous

I just love the concept of "you're Zagreus, son of Hades, trying to escape the Underworld and all of your very large family are trying to help, while your dad is constantly a huge asshole to you"

Mahnmut
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Hades has such a great "dickhead dad" voice

It rules

cursedkingStraightziAnzekayMidnitewebguy20Kwoarumilski
  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    but i do like that the read on Hades is the traditional mythological one. he's just a grumpy bureaucrat, and his reasons for not wanting you to leave are (probably) going to be revealed to be legitimate if not just overly douchey bureaucratic ones.

it's very obvious that the other gods are being set up to be revealed as assholes as well.

• MvrckMvrck Registered User regular
    expendable wrote: »
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Is there any like security reason not to use the epic store at this point?

The only reason I haven't is cause I'm lazy but there is stuff on sale I want

As long as they aren't more likely get my credit card number stolen than steam I'll probably install it when I get home

I think it's hard to say. They've been lazy about other aspects of stuff that consumers CAN see, I personally shudder to think about what things I can't see look like.

Like, there's only so many times you can say "Whoops, yeah, we shouldn't have done it that way or done that at all, but we were just in such a rush to get the store setup that we cut some corners. We'll totally fix it now that we got caught." before I start doubting that there's a single area where you haven't rushed and cut critical corners.

It's worth noting that the whole back end is years and years old. It's been in use since UE4 launched, with it's Marketplace. The actual store is just something new bolted on. Now that doesn't mean they didn't cut corners, but the actual transaction system was launched years ago and not on the mad sprint they are on now with the storefront.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
    Hades has such a great "dickhead dad" voice

It rules

funfact, the voice of Hades is Logan Cunningham. Once again proving that if you didn't already believe it after Pyre, that the dude has incredible range

cB557Mr Fuzzbutt
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    On one hand, Free copy of Steep

On the other hand, have to open Uplay

dilemma

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    webguy20
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Which I could find the link now, but I got to head to work, but there was a quote from an epic employee about how their backend is still mostly manual, so they basically have a manpower limit on how many games and patches they can release on the service at any one time.

edited May 16
    On one hand, Free copy of Steep

On the other hand, have to open Uplay

no matter what I do play
    all I ever think about is uplay

Brolo on
    WiseManTobeschrishallett83
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Didn't see this posted, but Stories Untold is the new free game for the next two weeks on Epic: https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/stories-untold/
    It's a really cool narrative thing with 4 different stories using 4 different kinds of adventure/puzzle games. Though I do think the ending ispretty weak from when I watched someone stream it.

BroloKaroz
    edited May 16
    I am very hyped about necrobarrista, a game folks I know have been pouring their hearts into, set in australia's third least shittiest capital city

Anzekay on
    el_vicioKarozStiltschrishallett83
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    And cross quoting from the G&T Steam thread:
    SteevL wrote: »
    In other non-Steam related news, you can get Steep for free on Uplay:

57597f6a0c8ee468458b4567.jpg?sw=220&sh=440&sm=fit

All I can see when I look at this picture is
    circle_game-1.jpg

GUOZVYl.png
    Dyvim Tvar