As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Slay the Spire] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    PSA: Don't Slay before you're fully awake.

I got through two acts in pretty good shape despite a Runic Dome that was the best of a very bad lot in Act 1, then promptly started Act 3 on the hardest possible path because I wasn't paying attention and wanted to save and exit out. I'm gonna give it a shot but I'm guessing this run will end on the second Elite of this line, and if not, the one right after it.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    This, clearly, is not the Runic Dome run I mentioned, which went about as anticipated after that brain-fart.
    81CD48631D3762CCA85E44373B3E7F0818A9B8F5

I have rarely been able to justify JAX in a Silent deck, but this one had no real problems there.

Had a nice moment against Awakened One where I was being a good boy and holding my powers until it became clear I should just dump them so I had a reason to play Defends!

E: I still say Broken Crown's fine if you're off to a decent start as far as core build-around cards, btw. This deck got a lot of use out of shops as far as finding things it needed til the last one, where I grabbed the Apotheosis and Prism because they were the least-useless things there.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Auralynx wrote: »
    This, clearly, is not the Runic Dome run I mentioned, which went about as anticipated after that brain-fart.
    81CD48631D3762CCA85E44373B3E7F0818A9B8F5

I have rarely been able to justify JAX in a Silent deck, but this one had no real problems there.

Had a nice moment against Awakened One where I was being a good boy and holding my powers until it became clear I should just dump them so I had a reason to play Defends!

E: I still say Broken Crown's fine if you're off to a decent start as far as core build-around cards, btw. This deck got a lot of use out of shops as far as finding things it needed til the last one, where I grabbed the Apotheosis and Prism because they were the least-useless things there.

At least when i'm arguing against/wincing about Broken Crown after act 1, it's very much from a "Kill the heart on a20" perspective. It's rare i've got a deck where i'm like "Yeah, this can do it", and taking Broken Crown cripples my ability to find cards to develop it, or see rares. (But it's totally possible to rely on shops instead.)

Edit: That feel where on the one hand, the store had corruption and dead branch, and you only had the gold for Corruption. (Exactly the gold).

Oh, and since i should explain: Exodia is a nickname for the Juggernaught/Feel No Pain/Corruption combo. Barricade and Dark Embrace are optional, but make it stronger. Next to corruption/dead branch, it's probably Ironclad's silliest combo, letting you defend very easily while still doing huge piles of damage. (Playing a skill that makes block and exhausting it will do at least 14 damage with an upgraded Juggernaught and Feel No Pain in play. You can see how this gets very silly, very fast)

The Zombie Penguin on
    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Oh hey, I was just coming in here to say I just took a broken crown on Act 2 boss.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Arrgh. Three loses v today that all hurt. The worst was a falling back on autopilot... Which caused echo form to kill me against the heart ;.;

On the flip side at least I'm more often getting deeper with my runs and making stuff work!

edited May 2019
    I know I'm not the first one to see it, but for anyone who's forgotten: this is what it looks like when a Dead Branch / Kunai deck gets out of hand:
    BD589830300B98670FEBE24C3B034DFEA0C24274

And that's A20 complete with all 3 characters!
    E58A73F18F78E3554DF246C709E2C2CBC47A4D47

I did miss the code for run before this one, which tanked in Act 2, but if I'd been paying attention, it's got a potential Toy Ornithopter / White Beast Statue / Alchemize combo.

E: Nevermind, it's in the run history. LTHEILB28DFX; go up the leftmost path. I don't fully understand how shops work across seeds, but I got the Toy Ornithopter offered at the second shop, which was a ? right before the final bonfier.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I just can’t get past ascension 10 I guess

What's got you stumped? Can you identify any areas that keep killing you or show is some decklists that have failed?

To memory, a10 is the point where you Get ascenders bane in your deck. It's at this point that card draw and card manipulation start becoming much stronger

I'm sure you can get past it though, dood!

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    When it rains, it pours:

moxuxmwz0fq5.png

Looks like all my free time is about to be....Slain!

habzbuvlws07.png

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    Going to have to ask for a new company phone for entirely unrelated reasons. Frantically googling which iPhone has the best battery life.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    Guess I’ll finally get some use out of that battery pack I bought ages ago!

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

What's got you stumped? Can you identify any areas that keep killing you or show is some decklists that have failed?

To memory, a10 is the point where you Get ascenders bane in your deck. It's at this point that card draw and card manipulation start becoming much stronger

I think my main problem is that either my deck isn’t getting the ability to scale fast enough or if I can scale it takes too long to set up and I end up taking hits.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

I think my main problem is that either my deck isn’t getting the ability to scale fast enough or if I can scale it takes too long to set up and I end up taking hits.

Around A10 was a big hump, iirc. I think once I got the hang of it I was able to get from 10-ish to 18 pretty easily (which is where the next big hump is), so hopefully that'll happen with you too!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile

I think my main problem is that either my deck isn’t getting the ability to scale fast enough or if I can scale it takes too long to set up and I end up taking hits.[/quote]

Well this is where deck lists etc would be helpful - show is runs you think should have won, or felt like went well only to crash and burn.

The thing with scaling is that there is a ton of ways to do it, but some ways are a lot better than others.

Like Kunai/shuriken are a way to scale, but they're actually pretty slow ways to achieve scaling. But If you can hit the 3 attacks per turn threshold reliably, they're not bad.

Contrast say, Demon Form. Even on a20 heart kills, a single demon form is capable of being enough scaling by itself.... If you can get it in play reliably. If you can't? It's a dead card.

The other thing is scaling is mostly something you care about for boss fights, and some elite fights. For everything else, front loaded damage is more valuable.

Consider say rampage. But itself, it's seemingly unimpressive. But it's enough scaling on its own, unupgraded, to take down Champ. And then you can add weird tricks like dual wield on rampage spoke things further.

Scaling also doesn't haven't to be infinite. When Dover and I did the a20 tutorial and scored the Dover his first win, the decks scaling was pretty flat. It had an inflame, it had a rampage, it had a giryia... But really what it did was just abuse pocket watch to play high impact attacks repeatedly.

Like accuracy is scaling. It's shitty, slow, niche scaling... But it does scale your deck (if your deck uses shivs)

(That's a common trap I think people fall into, the 'but this could do <xyz> crazy infinite damage thing!'. You... Don't need that. You need to be able, at most, to do 200 damage a turn for 4 turns without dying. And that's the hardest challan in the game.)

One other thing to think about is identifying how your leveraging your scaling. A demon form or otherwise slow strength deck really likes stuff like sword boomerang or heavy blade. A limit break shenanigans deck doesn't give a shit - when even your strikes are doing over a hundred damage, who cares?

You can make similar cases for poison (catalyst as an accelerant, catalyst/nightmare combo decks, and raw poison dumping are all very different ways to use poison as scaling)

Probably also for orbs, but defect scaling is so weird and crazy and often something you fall backwards into

Hopefully this is all helpful!

First A20 Defect heartkill on some jank ass Dead Branch deck.

I restarted the Giant Head fight more times than the Heart fight, which seems weird.

?imw=1024&imh=576&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=true

I bought Dolly's Mirror to use on my Genetic Algorithm when it was at, like, 20 something, cause why not

I should mention I don’t restart fights unless I legitimately made a mistake like clicking end turn when I still have energy

I’m having trouble scaling Defect properly btw, I don’t have issues with Silent (my best character) or Ironclad

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    0i4rt696o7ct.jpg

Like I give a fuck.

lqloaccwdl0u.jpg

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I should mention I don’t restart fights unless I legitimately made a mistake like clicking end turn when I still have energy

I’m having trouble scaling Defect properly btw, I don’t have issues with Silent (my best character) or Ironclad

Most consistent way to win with Defect is to go all-in on Orbs and Powers. If you get bad luck and just aren't offered that, I tend to have a lot more trouble winning.

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    I think I’ve won with a Claw deck, like... once

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    After an awful lot of failures to launch in Act 1 recently, I got something together that was working out pretty well. Nightmare -> After Image along with Fan and Kunai saw me even perfect The Champ for the first time in ages. I almost died to Reptomancer right afterwards, but didn't, and had a pretty good clip through Act 3 otherwise. But I died against the second boss (Time Eater) after Deca + Donu left me on less than 10 health. I feel like it might have gone differently if I'd have had a good Nightmare target anywhere in the first few turns, but there was never a good chance to play it and it took me about 2 turns longer to kill them than I could afford (I took a good 40-50 damage in those last two turns). With no margin of error going into Time Eater he cleaned me up the moment I got a bad hand (I was going to struggle with his reset point anyway unless I got really lucky with my relics triggering or a good turn to set up Nightmare -> Dexterity+ or something). Still, at least I wiped right at the end~

This will presumably jinx it but I have an A20 Heart attempt w/ Prism on Ironclad that's looking promising at the start of Act 3 saved for after work. Pray for Power high-rolls; it's got Frozen Egg too.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

This will presumably jinx it but I have an A20 Heart attempt w/ Prism on Ironclad that's looking promising at the start of Act 3 saved for after work. Pray for Power high-rolls; it's got Frozen Egg too.

No matter what happens, i wanna see a decklist doood.

(Also i'll be back to streaming this game soon all - between health and a bad set of runs in the game, i hit a bit of burn out. Also i got Disgea 5 and well, uh *POINTS AT AVATAR* i might be a fan of this series, ya know?)

Oh, also Jorbs is working on Overexplain runs again, which is cool!

Here's the vod for his attempt at a Defect A20 overexplain run - it ends up splattering against the champ, but it's damn interesting and with some really deep exploring of class concepts.

Definitely recommend giving it a look. I do wish he did a bit more turn-by-turn commentary, but the indepthing on card evaluations is really great.

So far it's gotten me two Turbos, an Adrenaline, and a Glacier, which in a Barricade / Unceasing Top situation has been good. I'm locked out of shops since the Prism because Ectoplasm was my best bet put of Act 1.

I think I still need a Caltrops or Limit Break if I'm gonna beat the Heart, though, so again, pray for a high-roll.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I had to uninstall this because I kept playing it instead of doing things I was supposed to. "Oh I'll just start a game a play a few floors then do that thing." ... 2 hours later. It's the first time I've had to do something like that since WoW.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    edited May 2019
    Yay! Managed another Asc 20 win with Silent. Poison deck again, but it had Kunai and Blade Dance/Cloak and Dagger as its only means of defensive scaling - the fight against the Time Eater was really tense, but I ended up only taking about 20 damage from him. Some highlights included: being so starved for opportunities to upgrade cards that I never got around to upgrading Neutralize, and despite having Paper Frog, only having Neutralize and Crippling Cloud+ as sources of Weak.

mysticjuicer on
    narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    Darn. I took a random stab at going for sub-20 minutes this morning. Good effort, but finished at just over 25 minutes. Shit is definitely hard. I can see shaving second off here and there to add up to the odd minute, but I think otherwise you just need to get lucky with pathing letting you avoid most fights and just chunk through stuff. Like, getting two Maws in Act 3 definitely slowed me down a smidge. :P

Darn. I took a random stab at going for sub-20 minutes this morning. Good effort, but finished at just over 25 minutes. Shit is definitely hard. I can see shaving second off here and there to add up to the odd minute, but I think otherwise you just need to get lucky with pathing letting you avoid most fights and just chunk through stuff. Like, getting two Maws in Act 3 definitely slowed me down a smidge. :P

I'd have to dig a bit tp find the run but I think I got it on Asc 1 w/ Searing Blow Ironclad all-in.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Ascention 0 ironclad run with an early whirlwind is an easy sub 20min run

I finally beat A10 with Defect, and had a very good Silent run with Kunai and Shivs but it ended in failure and since then I’ve had terrible luck and can’t find poison for the life of me

I'd have to dig a bit tp find the run but I think I got it on Asc 1 w/ Searing Blow Ironclad all-in.
    Ha, this almost worked, getting me 22 minutes. Unfortunately I encountered a bunch of mobs and it just took time to punch them all down without having found any AOE stuff. But a +8 Searing blow hitting for over 80 is definitely good fun. :P

edited May 2019
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Ascention 0 ironclad run with an early whirlwind is an easy sub 20min run

The other thing it might be - I'll check now - was something with an early Immolate. Similar proposition.

E: Here we go. Remembered wrong, they're Asc 0. Asc 1 is more fun due to the extra bosses, but that's not an advantage for speeding.
    B67708032CE15C8BA5420BE6138713698045A7FD

Also this one, where I got a late Dead Branch and spent a few seconds too long churning Corruption'd skills:
    946CBB20DE82CC4C724A9BCC5E5A53D03DF5E05E

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

edited May 2019
    I pulled it off, but oh man did we go different directions. XD
    cnnacdre2fvy.png

With pocketwatch and the self-thinning of Carnage and Ghost Armor, I drew my deck every turn, played Armaments+ and Searing Blow.
    I almost killed Time Eater on turn 1. A few more potions probably would have done it. :P

ArcticLancer on
    Nah, look at that deck again - it's a dynamic Exhaust-to-Draw thing. You just churn via Corruption / Dark Embrace / Headbutt / Draws to get Searing Blow back. :P

Nice job tho!

kshu0oba7xnr.png

I still need to get the speed run achivement at some point...

For now though?

Ahhh. a break was just what i needed and this run was just buttery smooth as a result. 2 perfects (Slime Boss and Time Eater. Amusingly, both were T4Ks to boot), 2 champions.
    B64E7D4B4437FFCFB314FAF175A665330B22F596

Whetstone from the Whale hit a pair of strikes, which made taking a super elite pretty breezy. Floor 1 Noxious fumes was also great. Floor 4 catalyst was a gutsy pick, as was Floor 7 Nightmare.. but at that point i had Snecko Skull as well. Decided to just go all in at that point, took a second Noxious fumes on floor 14 after i'd bought crippling cloud on floor 13...

Worth noting the run did die to gremlin nob, but that's what faerie in a bottle is for. Undying! Embrace fairy-based undeath. It's filled with glitter and brain-eating. Also that second noxious fumes was much less about the poison stacking (Frankly, it was overkill if anything), and much more about making sure i'd be able to draw and play Noxious Fumes asap. This could have VERY easily been a 1 Fumes deck if i'd seen some different options.

Act 2 was mostly "So uh, how do i survive exactly?" - Took Bloody Idol to give me some sustain since i had no defences at that point and was relying on comboing out to score wins. Council of Ghosts on Floor 30 semi-solved the defences issue, and Runic Pyramid was a windmill slam as a result. Otherwise i picked a path with lots of campfires so i could get in upgrades on my Nightmare and Both Catalysts. Really didnt feel the need to fight many elites in A2.

This also made me swear at the orb walkers when the fuckers tried to give me a Dead Branch as my reward. Screw you, jerks! Act 3 scored me an Apothesis and a Panic button, and later on a malaise and well, at that point it was all over - hence the huge pile of elite fights (it was also the best path for campfires and let me dodge hallway fights, which would have been rough for this deck - elites were a lot easier than say, Triple Jaw Worms)

Realistically, the deck had a decent chance of dying to the heart due to bad draws. 28 max hp is uh... Basically nothing. This is part of why i took a very early Acrobatics (F18), and later on a Prepared+, as well as going for the Adrenalines - Sure, i had Choker to play around, and i definitely let energy go to waste a good few times. Totally worth it to let the deck dig through and find what it needed - Same reason i prioritized getting my Apparitions upgraded, even when i had Apothesis.

So yeah! that was fun. We're not going to talk about how many enemies got 5k poison on them. it was quite a few though!

Geez. Sub-35 on a heart kill is a pretty speedy run, my dude.

edited May 2019
    Geez. Sub-35 on a heart kill is a pretty speedy run, my dude.

Yeah I had a good laugh when I saw the time.

Sadly, my defect run afterwards got eaten by the champ - two eggs (molten + toxic), a dead branch, glacier, dark orbs and electrodynamics.
    But no focus, no orb slots, no loop and no creative Ai meant it just didn't scale.

I wonder if I was supposed to go for a much more active evoking strategy, rather than try and stall a dark orb? Probably. Games hard!

The Zombie Penguin on
    Ack, darn, so close to a heart kill!
    (Honestly, not really, I only did about 550 and the deck was just missing SOMETHING to actually enable a heart kill. It scales way too hard for what I had)

But it feels good to have gotten a solid A20 win again for the first time in too long~
    mywaj9rdug2z.png

I might be curious to know if someone could manage a heart kill on that seed. ;P