As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DnD 5E] You can't triple stamp a double stamp!

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Abbalah wrote: »
    Xagar wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Well this is significantly less useless than the previous classes, but I'm super disappointed at all the "+1" class features. Oh, I can choose to either deal damage or heal with a feature. The only bit that grabbed my attention was the robo mind subclass.

I love that I gave the last version a bunch of shit for adding a new spell that's just "Hex/Hunter's Mark, but now for a third class!" and then the rework not only kept that part the same but also added a new subclass that smites like a paladin, a feature they also already handed out to warlocks.
    94upz9qeu9xi.png

the smite OR heal on the robot pet is more interesting

• LindLind Registered User regular
    So any hype for this weekends DnD event?

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Lind wrote: »

What dnd event?

• SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    The Descent. All sorts of video content to push the new release. Looks like it'll be Planar/Blood Warry.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
    Sleep wrote: »
    Lind wrote: »

What dnd event?

http://dnd.wizards.com/dndlive2019

• joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    New content. I'm running the Starter Kit. Glances over at every 5E book published on my shelf...

i-GdN3nbt-2100x20000.jpg

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    The Descent. All sorts of video content to push the new release. Looks like it'll be Planar/Blood Warry.

Someone over on ENWorld had an interesting prediction:
    So, guys, today's Dragon Talk had a Lore You Should Know talks about the Blood War, and it was very interesting.

Perkins goes into how the Devils need to collect souls to fight the Blood War, and nonchalantly drops the example of how on Avernus an entire city might be sucked in from the material plane for troops.

He then later mentioned how they at one point planned a counter-balance to Out of the Abyss where Asmodeus offered deals to surface cities to protect them from the demons in the Underdark.

I predict that the AP will involve a Diabolical plot to suck Baldur's Gate straight into Hell... descending into Zariel's realm, as it were.

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    That would make it the fabled high level campaign, then?

• SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I'm not going to sit and watch an entire weekend of twitch D&D shows (however much I dig some of the players and sure it would be entertaining) but this tease is annoying. Effective, but still annoying.

All we've gotten is a name and ONE piece of art with a blind angel lady. I need more.

I think the actual announcement is today at 4pm PST so it'll be all over the web after that.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    I'm not going to sit and watch an entire weekend of twitch D&D shows (however much I dig some of the players and sure it would be entertaining) but this tease is annoying. Effective, but still annoying.

All we've gotten is a name and ONE piece of art with a blind angel lady. I need more.

I'm unfortunately on call for work this weekend, which means I have to stay near a laptop in case I have to do my job.
    So, it's not like I want to stay at home and watch an entire weekend of Twitch D&D, but...

• ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    (Sorry if this is technically off-topic})

So it turns out the animated Dungeons and Dragons show is a big thing in Brazil, to the point that Renault is going all-out on it for a car commercial:

youtube.com/watch?time_continue=18&v=vuoIY1NIEkQ

The casting is just phenomenal though, dude on the left totally captures everything about Eric in a single look:

3ltp4634kq7o.jpg

Chiselphane on
    edited May 2019
    (Sorry if this is technically off-topic})

So it turns out the animated Dungeons and Dragons show is a big thing in Brazil, to the point that Renault is going all-out on it for a car commercial:

youtube.com/watch?time_continue=18&v=vuoIY1NIEkQ

The casting is just phenomenal though, dude on the left totally captures everything about Eric in a single look:

3ltp4634kq7o.jpg

This is amazingly good

I am jealous of the nerd that got to suggest this and actually have them do it.

Sleep on
    edited May 2019
    I think the actual announcement is today at 4pm PST so it'll be all over the web after that.

Apparently a bookstore chain leaked the adventure's title earlier today.

It's called:
    Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus

Hexmage-PA on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

Apparently a bookstore chain leaked the adventure's title earlier today.

It's called:
    Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus

There are still bookstore chains?

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Hey, so, Dwarven Forge sent out an email to backers of previous tilesets to let us know about an upcoming kickstarter for a new set.

That just so happens to have its demo / prototype set used in this weekend's D&D: The Descent.

Spoiler for the name / theme of the set:
    It's called Hellscape, and features all kinds of lava and built-in LED effects.

Looks pretty badass.

edited May 2019
    D&D news (and a ton of YouTube videos)!

vrksr08k7rr4.png

New adventure in the Nine Hells on September 17th!
    The biggest and most exciting announcement of the weekend is, of course, the next D&D storyline! Last year’s storyline was a saga set in the city of Waterdeep, comprised of Waterdeep: Dragon Heist and Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage. This year, D&D is taking a trip to Avernus, the first layer of the Nine Hells. The celestial-turned-archdevil Zariel is enacting her long-awaited vengeance upon the city of Elturel, and a group of unlikely adventurers have been pulled into the struggle!

This adventure spans levels 1 through 13, starting with low-level adventures in Baldur’s Gate, the dark and gritty metropolis which lead designer Adam Lee describes as “the Gotham [City] of the Sword Coast.” Starting a campaign in Baldur’s Gate is wildly different from starting a campaign in bright, shiny Waterdeep, and it perfectly suits a campaign that is destined to go straight to Hell. Introducing more than just the city of Baldur’s Gate, this adventure also opens up the massive sandbox environment of Avernus.

The adventure promises a deep story filled with unforgiveable betrayals, unspeakable evils, and a fallen angel. Those who dare venture into the Nine Hells can fight to bring redemption to Avernus, or give in to corruption themselves. Baldur’s Gate: Descent into Avernus is available for pre-order on the D&D Beyond Marketplace now, and releases in stores on September 17th, 2019. A limited-edition, game store-exclusive cover by Hydro74 features the skull-shaped icon of Bhaal that is now inexorably linked with Baldur’s Gate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-yBdYnphH8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BRSeZtcXhE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbh4UifImPg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=319xVTRMFGM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcjfGEqUc0E&list=PLPjdPog_vKX0e9mxL6UHPx_OTqjGFZR6v&index=8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7iI4Ajyyig&list=PLPjdPog_vKX0e9mxL6UHPx_OTqjGFZR6v&index=6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMYoNJFi5N0&list=PLPjdPog_vKX0e9mxL6UHPx_OTqjGFZR6v&index=4

xxs4scvgcs3v.jpg

"Infernal War Machine" mini!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6b9NCD5504

2jrd4grut7s5.png

New Starter Kit with a single-player variant mode!

xzjrdehtkgbt.jpg

Official Rick & Morty D&D adventure!

And there's still a mystery announcement on Sunday! Holy shit!

Hexmage-PA on
    Additional details:
    •"It's a trip to Hell! It is D&D meets Mad Max Fury Road with a bit of Dante's Inferno." - Chris Perkins.
    •Starts in Baldur's Gate (which is Gotham to Waterdeep's Metropolis) and goes to Hell, literally.
    •Will involve the Blood War and Outer Planes, starting in Hell. "You can only go up from there, right?" - Chris Perkins.
    •Kate Welch implies there will be new character creation options for characters from Baldur's Gate, while Perkins confirms characters and even groups can have "dark secrets".
    •"There's something in Baldur's Gate that teases what's to come." - Perkins
    •Crawford states that resting and death saving throws will have different rules in Avernus.
    •Perkins talks about Warlords, creatures who live in Avernus and have carved out a living in the desert of destruction, including the Infernal War Machines.
    •Welch confirms iteration on the vehicle rules from Ghosts of Saltmarsh to create more options for creating more vehicles.
    •Player Characters can become Warlords in Avernus according to Welch.
    •Per Perkins, there are vehicle customization rules for the Infernal War Machines, but there's a catch. "It's not all fun and games in Hell."
    •Machines in Hell are powered by souls, so Good characters will have to deal with the moral questions of consuming even evil souls.
    •New rules for Deals with the Devil that ties into the dark secret rules, per Welch.
    •"Personal Hell" is a big part for big NPCs and PCs alike.
    •Per Crawford, there are many characters who are not demons, devils, or corrupt souls. However, Avernus itself corrupts by its nature so even refugees from other planes who are there may have become evil as the plane infects them.
    •Zariel is on the front lines of the Blood War. "So you can get to meet her and pick her brain?" "Or maybe she'll open your skull and pick yours."
    •"She [Zariel] is a final boss kind of thing." - Welch
    •Inspiration from the MCU and other sources for sympathetic antagonists, making Zariel's motivations understandable and making you ask "Would I have done the same?"
    •The adventure is built for any kind of party, but the idea behind the Dark Secret mechanic is to bind the party together. Perkins admits he's not a fan of Evil Parties, but that the mechanics of the adventure most feed to that.
    •Devils and demons are more likely to make deals with players because, in Hell, dead means dead for them.
    •The adventure is written with brand-new DMs in mind to make the transition to multi-planar adventures as easy and painless as possible.
    •A brand new Infernal language font was created for the adventure (and was used on the water bottles given to attendees).
    •When asked what their favorite tidbits are to close out the interview, "Abyssal Chickens can be familiars." - Perkins "I can't follow that!" - Welch
    •"The art in this book is not like others. It's crazy." - Perkins. "It's crazy!! If you see something that feels like a giant wound creeping out of the earth...go check it out!" - Welch Her description of that section made for the grosses Google search the artist ever had to make.
    •Jim Zub talked about the currency of Avernus, the "Soul Coins" - the physical representation of souls traded, bought, or sold.
    •There will be a tie-in comic series that involves characters from Baldur's Gate (including Minsc and Boo) going to Avernus.
    •"Books can be weapons." - Zub
    •The Dice Set (mentioned above) for this adventure is custom dice in a velvet-lined box usable as dice trays and includes a map of Avernus that's about 11x18 sized with other tiles involved for monster types, and a cypher key for translating Infernal to Common.
    •One of the cards included is a description of the food. After the MC Anna Prosser rolled, Perkins informed her that her food was delicious but every morsel had a face and screamed as it was consumed. Someone watched Nightmare on Elm Street 4: Dream Warriors before writing that bit
    •They hired a puzzle designer to create legitimate puzzle boxes usable with the adventure, with a challenge to those at the event to solve it in under an hour.

Thank you for collecting all that info.
    --
    Gah, levels 1-13 again!

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    --
    Gah, levels 1-13 again!

Versus?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    webguy20 wrote: »
    --
    Gah, levels 1-13 again!

Versus?
    My hope for a high level campaign. Atm only Mad Mage is written for high level players, everything else kinda stops around 15. Although I did read that maybe this is part 1 of 2, with 2 going up to 20.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    New thread title: Oh sweet I can finally play a Warlord in 5e!

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    @Denada

*fingersnaps*

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    New thread title: Oh sweet I can finally play a Warlord in 5e!

If I didn't know any better I'd guess Mearls did that on purpose... but wasn't Mearls like, totally absent at this?

Mearls is being hidden away due to his actions around the whole Zak Smith debacle.

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Why is hell always better than engineering than heaven? We never really hear of celestial tanks, but infernal engines spouting flame and lava powered by souls of the damned are a good bit more common.

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Why is hell always better than engineering than heaven? We never really hear of celestial tanks, but infernal engines spouting flame and lava powered by souls of the damned are a good bit more common.

Constant open warfare makes for a wonderful technological driver. Since the denizens of the Upper Planes are happy to just keep all that bottled up on the Lower Planes with little reason to intervene directly, there's no incentive to innovate on new warfare techniques.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    There's also a bunch of lawful & nominally good gods (and, of course, modrons) that hang out in Mechanus, and they kind of have the corner on the whole upper-planar tech angle.

• SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I was kinda hoping that a module that deals with the blood war and demons and fallen Angel's and whatnot would be a 10th level and up kind of module.

Give groups something to do once they're finished with the other published modules they've put out so far.

Steelhawk on
  • doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »

Constant open warfare makes for a wonderful technological driver. Since the denizens of the Upper Planes are happy to just keep all that bottled up on the Lower Planes with little reason to intervene directly, there's no incentive to innovate on new warfare techniques.

there's also the Tolkien-esque tradition of industrial advances spoiling and corrupting the idyllic country life

what a happy day it is
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    --
    Gah, levels 1-13 again!

on the upside, leveling up a Nine Hells campaign requires minimal effort

doomybear wrote: »

there's also the Tolkien-esque tradition of industrial advances spoiling and corrupting the idyllic country life

Congrats, the angels in my setting pilot mechas now.

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Over in the Glamjin’s Tower of Glory thread I’ve described an angel almost exactly like a UFO, wheel shaped, moving at speed doing near impossible manoeuvres and shooting laser beams.

Spoilers, no one from that campaign can read this:
    The next angels that turn up will be mechas, with floating shields and plasma swords orbiting around them.

jycafpr27g7u.jpeg

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    doomybear wrote: »

Congrats, the angels in my setting pilot are mechas now.

• IvelliusIvellius Registered User regular
    I mean...Jehovah in the Book of Ezekiel rides a "throne" atop spinning concentric "wheels" that are full of eyes and with four-faced four-winged entities flying it between the wheels. "Angels as UFOs" is pretty true to the source material.

Me elsewhere:
    Steam, various fora: Ivellius
    League of Legends: Doctor Ivellius
    Twitch, probably another place or two I forget: LPIvellius
    edited May 2019
    FYI the mystery announcement was an Eberron hardcover.

Hexmage-PA on
    I bet my group of murder hobos will love to invade hell.... in a year or so when we finish up the current campain.

• Nerdsamwich Nerdsamwich Registered User regular
    Looking at Solars and Planetars in my 3.x books, they're basically Gundams in everything but the cosmetic flourishes. I can totes see a little cherub sitting in a cockpit in the chest.

!

Inevitables! They're already crazy battle robots, it's not even a stretch to have it piloted by a modron or something.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
This discussion has been closed.