As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cyberpunk 2077 - It Can't Get Darker Than Night City, Right?

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    CDPR have recently stated that CP2077 will be out before 2021 and that it will not be Epic store exclusive. Although considering they own GOG I suppose that last bit was kinda a no brainer.

So my money would be on 2020.

As to whether it'll be cross-gen? I'd say yes with a caveat. The caveat being that I don't really expect the game to release at the same time as the next-gen, but I do absolutely expect CP2077 to be a launch or near launch game for next-gen consoles.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    No need to worry about consoles with stadia.

You should see a doctor about that.

What would a doctor know about more than one stadium?

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Yeah, any concerns this is going to be an Epic exclusive are pretty moot. I really doubt CDPR would go and hand their next huge release to a direct competitor when their store is just sitting there.

I'd be more surprised if it turns up there at all considering how Epic have been hurting their store.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I guess the calculation will be if not being on Epic would cost them too many sales. I'd like to think not (especially given that they'll be on so many other storefronts, not least GOG for 100% definite, and doubtless Steam) but they know that (or will know that) better than I ever will.

Unless Epic has just pissed them off that much. Or does in the next however long.

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    There is zero—zero—chance in hell that not being on the Epic store would have a meaningful impact on sales. I’m sure there are a few douchebags from the 90’s who are all “Epic or die!” because I live in a world where Trump was elected president. But that’s like ... what, three, four guys? Tops?

This game will make fucking bank, and it will do it without Epic exclusivity.

Fawst on
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    There is zero—zero—chance in hell that not being on the Epic store would have a meaningful impact on sales. I’m sure there are a few douchebags from the 90’s who are all “Epic or die!” because I live in a world where Trump was elected president. But that’s like ... what, three, four guys? Tops?

40% of Fortnite players only have the Epic store.

Their demographics are not what you think they are.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited March 2019

However, how many Fortnite players will jump over to a 50+ hour long mature single player RPG?

Also those exclusivity deals have doubtless cost CDPR quite a bit.

And like people keep saying to those who don’t want to install Epics launcher - what’s another storefront? Just sign up to GoG.

-Loki- on
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular

Source?

Anyway, if 40% of them only have the required store to play free Fortnite, i.e. aren't invested in PC gaming at all (and the system reqs for Fortnite are surely going to be lighter than 2077), it's probably not much of a loss.

s7Imn5J.png
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

Wait, how would they know... oh.

Source?

Their launcher told them what's on their players PCs.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    And that right there is why I refuse to install the Epic launcher. They are being totally brazen about just how much data they're harvesting from users and selling to TenCent.

• SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Their launcher told them what's on their players PCs.

Yeah I was just looking for where they offered stats, though. I did find Sweeney saying half their userbase never had Steam, which isn't quite only having the Epic launcher but is close enough considering these Fortnite kids probably aren't playing WoW/Overwatch/legacy GoG titles etc. Anyway, a large chunk of their base likely being minimally invested in PC gaming to the point of having only played a free-to-play game and possibly having bought the single BattlePass along is probably not much of a market to capitalize on (yet).

That said, it seems kind of irrelevant, because not being an Epic exclusive doesn't mean it can't be on the Epic store. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't sell it there as well as everywhere else, considering any sale there is a bigger cut for them than any non-GoG outlet.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
    edited March 2019
    That said, it seems kind of irrelevant, because not being an Epic exclusive doesn't mean it can't be on the Epic store. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't sell it there as well as everywhere else, considering any sale there is a bigger cut for them than any non-GoG outlet.

So it could come down to ‘you’ve cost us a bunch of money by holding back x games as exclusives, now it’s our turn’.

This game is going to sell boatloads, and it doesn’t need the Epic store to do so.

-Loki- on
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019

I wouldn't buy it on Epic, just like Metro Exodus.

Bigity on
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

I just Googled this. Holy fuck. How. . .are publishers still on board with this?

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
    edited March 2019
    ED! wrote: »
    Donnicton wrote: »

I just Googled this. Holy fuck. How. . .are publishers still on board with this?

Because they keep getting away with it. And a lot of gamers just don’t care that they’ve installed actual spyware.

-Loki- on
  • lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    More beating of the drum that E3 will be big for CD:
    "Last year's E3 has been the most important one so far throughout the whole of CD Projekt's history. But this year's one is going to be the most important one ever. We have really prepared a strong show."

Maybe a release date.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I just saw Battle Angel and it definately had moments, especially during Motorball and the bounty bar scene where I was like, "yep this would fit right into Cyberpunk 2077."

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    And that right there is why I refuse to install the Epic launcher. They are being totally brazen about just how much data they're harvesting from users and selling to TenCent.

Woah. Holy crap. I had installed it because Supergiant Games' Hades is an Epic exclusive, and I LOVE that studio, so I bought Hades... but uh. I haven't played it yet as I've been doing other stuff, soo uninstalling I guess! Jeez!

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
    https://kotaku.com/as-cyberpunk-2077-development-intensifies-cd-projekt-r-1834849725

Cyberpunk development picks up, CDPR promises to treat workers more "humane". With "optional" crunch as opposed to "mandatory" crunch.

Of course, anyone with literally any corporate experience can tell you this is buzzword for "even if we aren't going to fire you for it, we're very likely to come down on you in other ways instead". But Marcin does an admirable job of dancing around the subject when pressed about exactly that.
    Footage of the upcoming role-playing game Cyberpunk 2077 has blown away fans so far, but coupled with that hype is a burning question: Are workers at CD Projekt Red, the Polish studio behind the game, ruining their lives to make it? The developer best known for The Witcher series has cultivated a reputation for crunch—asking its employees to work nights and weekends for weeks or months at a time—but studio management now tells Kotaku they want to improve their work-life balance, even if they continue to feel that crunch is a necessity.

“We’re known—let me be humble for a moment here—we are known for treating gamers with respect,” said Marcin Iwiński, the company’s co-founder, in an interview with Kotaku this week. “This is what we’ve been working hard toward. And I actually would [like] for us to also be known for treating developers with respect.”

One of the ways the company plans to do that, Iwiński said, is through a “non-obligatory crunch policy” that isn’t brand new but that the Warsaw-based CD Projekt Red plans to push harder. He wants to make it clear to Cyberpunk 2077’s developers that even when the studio asks them to work on nights and weekends, it’s not “mandatory.”

“We’ve been working toward it for some time already,” Iwiński said. “We’ve been communicating clearly to people that of course there are certain moments where we need to work harder—like I think the E3 demo is a pretty good example—but we want to be more humane and treat people with respect. If they need to take time off, they can take time off. Nobody will be frowned upon if this will be requested.”

Of course, anyone who’s worked anywhere knows that a request from the boss doesn’t need to be “mandatory” for it to be something you have to do. When probed, Iwiński wouldn’t promise to limit crunch to certain periods or offer specific numbers, other than to say that he hoped making this public statement would help CD Projekt Red employees feel more comfortable telling their managers when they don’t want to put in extra hours. “I think this is the commitment we’re ready to make today, and we’ll be listening to people,” he said. “We definitely open a lot of lines of dialogue here, and we’d like to start with that.”

The rest of the article is Marcin defending crunch as a necessary concept, and other unrelated things like giving noncommittal answers on the topic of unions in the game industry.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Crunch is a concept that's gonna require a lot more than a few games companies to combat it.

Its prevalent in almost all industry

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Crunch is a concept that's gonna require a lot more than a few games companies to combat it.

Its prevalent in almost all industry

Unionize everything.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah I have to say crunch time is pretty much in any industry with development. Maybe things like financial institutions don’t have it as severe as the red tape on releases is strict enough it actually prevents crunch from being effective.

I don’t work in gaming but I’ve had strings of days where I start at 9-10 am and work till 5am the following morning and then back at work for 9-10am. Sometimes for 3-4 days in a row. I’m not even a developer. It definitely takes a toll, and I’m kinda useless for the days after that crunch as my brain is mush

Dixon wrote: »
    Yeah I have to say crunch time is pretty much in any industry with development. Maybe things like financial institutions don’t have it as severe as the red tape on releases is strict enough it actually prevents crunch from being effective.

I don’t work in gaming but I’ve had strings of days where I start at 9-10 am and work till 5am the following morning and then back at work for 9-10am. Sometimes for 3-4 days in a row. I’m not even a developer. It definitely takes a toll, and I’m kinda useless for the days after that crunch as my brain is mush

Crunch is counterproductive.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    There is a difference between "We've done all we could, but not we have to buckle down and finish the project" type of crunch and Bioware Magic "Okay you have 12 months to build a game from scratch" type of crunch.

The first can and does happen in just about any industry (seriously ask a postal worker about Christmas). The second happens due to gross mismanagement and seems fairly systemic in the AAA sphere.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    Axen wrote: »
    There is a difference between "We've done all we could, but not we have to buckle down and finish the project" type of crunch and Bioware Magic "Okay you have 12 months to build a game from scratch" type of crunch.

The first can and does happen in just about any industry (seriously ask a postal worker about Christmas). The second happens due to gross mismanagement and seems fairly systemic in the AAA sphere.

Most industries can and will throw more bodies at the problem (like retailers in the run up to christmas hiring more people)

edited May 2019
    Maybe things like financial institutions don’t have it as severe as the red tape on releases is strict enough it actually prevents crunch from being effective.

Negative, at least in my experience with financial institutions.

They absolutely have a huge year-end data format event where the entire year is put through a strainer, audited, and cataloged. I am an IT guy by trade but I am very familiar with the hellish wringer I saw the other side of the building go through for End of Year.

The software support people for these institutions end up working 12-18 hour days for weeks leading up to it, and EOY itself is all-hands-on-deck for the banks and the software providers.

This does not include FDIC Audits, which is another nasty time for banks, especially with rule changes.

Sound a lot like crunch time? It absolutely is. And it's ingrained pretty firmly in corporate culture.

jungleroomx on
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Ah I didn’t even think of that side of it, always a crunch somewhere.

I still don’t agree it’s completely counterproductive. Depends on the context and how it is used. The stories we are hearing of in the gaming industry though where it continues for months at a time are destructive though. That’s just not sustainable.

Maybe things like financial institutions don’t have it as severe as the red tape on releases is strict enough it actually prevents crunch from being effective.

They absolutely have a huge year-end data format event where the entire year is put through a strainer, audited, and cataloged. I am an IT guy by trade but I am very familiar with the hellish wringer I saw the other side of the building go through for End of Year.

The software support people for these institutions end up working 12-18 hour days for weeks leading up to it, and EOY itself is all-hands-on-deck for the banks and the software providers.

This does not include FDIC Audits, which is another nasty time for banks, especially with rule changes.

Sound a lot like crunch time? It absolutely is. And it's ingrained pretty firmly in corporate culture.

I don't disagree in that context, but the reason for crunch in gaming however is not so much to make sure the gubment doesn't jump on your ass as it is that management would rather(hypothetical numbers incoming) work you twice as hard on a fixed salary to get a game out in one year than have to pay you for two years of reasonable hours - especially if it also means they can push you to make two games in two years(*cough*EA Sports) rather than one game in two years. There's a number of gross factors in play that enable this up to and including bad management, at-will hiring policies and the fact that corporations can write overtime pay out of existence with salary agreements.

Granted it's a bit different in Poland as according to the article CDPR workers do have to be paid overtime, but it also says because of the low cost of living there their salaries are not that great to begin with so they're not benefiting as much as you'd think. In the US however it's just insanity all the way down.

edited May 2019

I still don’t agree it’s completely counterproductive. Depends on the context and how it is used. The stories we are hearing of in the gaming industry though where it continues for months at a time are destructive though. That’s just not sustainable.

It's counterproductive because the more hours someone works in a week the worse they perform. Pretty sure it kicks in fast too.

Polaritie on
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2019
    Polaritie wrote: »

It's counterproductive because the more hours someone works in a week the worse they perform. Pretty sure it kicks in fast too.

I see this a lot and it's just not entirely true. You become less effective but you can still get stuff done at least to a point. That point will vary. I get more done in a 90 hour week than a 40 hour week, those extra hours may not be as effective as the first 40 but it's still more.

Crunch does work in terms of producing things toward a deadline and that's part of the problem. If it literally did not work like the claims about counterproductivity will have you believe, then it would not be a problem because it would not make sense to crunch.

It is terrible and everything but if June 20th is important then it doesn't matter if your workers are dead on June 21st.*

* To the management who doesn't care about their workers

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Honk wrote: »

I see this a lot and it's just not entirely true. You become less effective but you can still get stuff done at least to a point. That point will vary. I get more done in a 90 hour week than a 40 hour week, those extra hours may not be as effective as the first 40 but it's still more.

Crunch does work in terms of producing things toward a deadline and that's part of the problem. If it literally did not work like the claims about counterproductivity will have you believe, then it would not be a problem because it would not make sense to crunch.

It is terrible and everything but if June 20th is important then it doesn't matter if your workers are dead on June 21st.*

Yes, but if you have 2 people do 40 hour weeks, you would get more done than one person doing a 90 hour week.
    Crunch happens because management can't manage.
    They failed to allocate proper resources early in the project, misjudged how much time things would take, and did not prepare for delays.

We should stop crunching because it is inhumane, not because it's progressively less effective hours.

I'm not saying you said that but it's the extrapolated point from the counterproductivity argument.

Nyysjan wrote: »

Yes, but if you have 2 people do 40 hour weeks, you would get more done than one person doing a 90 hour week.
    Crunch happens because management can't manage.
    They failed to allocate proper resources early in the project, misjudged how much time things would take, and did not prepare for delays.

The thing is though, those two people working 90 hours would now get more done than if they went home after 40. Maybe we can get to 1% more on metacritic.

Yes it totally is a scoping and management issue. But in the end it just needs to be concretely outlawed by legislation. And whistleblower services, and unions. Because even working in a country where overtime caps are decided by law it still happens as soft pressure due to deadlines. There is no "good enough" when you run multiple year projects where everything is contingent on the status at launch, you push until the day of.

Launch dates will need to be able to slip, and they basically can't due to the structure of quarterly reports for these publicly traded companies. In the end this is a symptom of the market at large.

• NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    We should stop crunching because it is inhumane, not because it's progressively less effective hours.

I'm not saying you said that but it's the extrapolated point from the counterproductivity argument.

If i though arguments about humanity, morality or ethics would sway people making decisions, i would go for them.
    But if the management gave a shit about any of that, crunch would already be a rare thing, not standard practice.
    So instead, i argue that management is stupid and ineffective for doing it.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular

A big part of the counterproductivity is the risk of a notable error that needs correcting rather than raw work.

You get more done in a crunch week but all it takes is one person fucking up while sleep deprived to require another week of crunch.

But yeah, in general crunch stuff is just frustrating because players don't really have a huge number of options. Every triple A game engages in it in a way that I'm uncomfortable with so it's hardly a viable boycott.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Crunch is a purely destructive force and you lose more in rework than you gain in productivity.
    Self-driven crunch is fine (as you're excited about a problem and want to finish), but mandated slows down regular work too as if you're crunching it doesn't matter if you work quicker, you still have to be there.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    There are books full of psychology and business studies that show why crunch is unproductive. It is more evident in factory work - where mistakes end up in explosions and death - but this shit is known.

• BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular

Yup, crunch time is just a normal thing sometimes. Audit times, tax season, new software deployments, etc.

But I agree that alot of it can be avoided, and attempts should be made to do so effectively.

Personally, if I worked somewhere that required it all the time, I'd be looking for work somewhere else.

OTOH, I never got to tell my flight commander I wasn't going to come in after hours or on weekends to make the project deadline because the general wanted it done.

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »

The disgusting part about "bioware magic" regarding their most recent title is that there wasn't a need for crunch at all since that game began development in 2012.