As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Formula One & motorsport] Round 16, Russia: In Soviet Russia, V12 drives you!

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I'm buying my tickets for COTA when I get paid tomorrow, so I'll be at the US GP this year if anyone else is going.

Probably going to get upper level grand stand tickets for turn 12 (end of the straight).

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Mercedes went out and set a 1:15.511 on the Monaco tires at the Barca test today. Testing times, I know I know...but that's just a tenth or so off Bottas' pole lap. In race trim according to reports. And they got in 131 laps of testing on new parts. Not looking good for a fight back from the field at Monaco.

I'm very torn. On one hand I am a Mercedes and Hamilton fan, so of course I want them to win...but I also think about the health of the sport. Frankly, I hope they go win all 21 this season (as crazy as that sounds, right now it doesn't seem completely impossible) just to punctuate the point that the 2021 rules package has to take a big swing at things.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Tickets bought. Turn 12, section 6, row 31. Gonna be crazy to watch them coming down the straight full beans, then machine gunning down six gears to make the hairpin corner.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Hit that apex:

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Still a better ride than this year's Renault

W Series is back this weekend and will be coming to you from former F1 track, Zolder in Belgium. Hopefully you guys outside the UK will have better luck finding streams and/or broadcasts this time around.

• TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    W Series is back this weekend and will be coming to you from former F1 track, Zolder in Belgium. Hopefully you guys outside the UK will have better luck finding streams and/or broadcasts this time around.

The good news is that it looks like the races are hosted on SBS On Demand for a year so even if i can't watch it live again it'll be chilling out there

steam_sig.png
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I think I'm going to go to the 2020 Melbourne GP. Or Spa.

My inlaws are from Belgium and they usually come to see us and we go to see them once a year. Either track is a possibility.

SPA, for the love of all that is good and proper, SPA!

edited May 2019
    I think I'm going to go to the 2020 Melbourne GP. Or Spa.

My inlaws are from Belgium and they usually come to see us and we go to see them once a year. Either track is a possibility.

SPA, for the love of all that is good and proper, SPA!

Melbourne for the party atmosphere (the city loves kicking the season off), Spa for literally everything else ever.

Not that I've made it to either, but still.

I remember reading about this one dude who'd saved up for like five years to go to every race in a season. The season he actually did that was 2010 - he could hardly have picked a better year to do it! He ended up making friends with guys at the then Virgin Racing team (new that year) so they'd let him hang out in the garage and have good access and whatnot. Pretty awesome thing to do, but not cheap!

Jazz on
    edited May 2019
    Going to Spa and doing a camping weekend is on my racing fan bucket list. That and Monaco (the opposite of a camping weekend) are near the top of the list.

GnomeTank on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Fuck camping. Camping sux, toilets and soft beds 4eva

My bucket list racing event would have to be camping and drinking loads of beer with random Germans at the Nurburgring Nordeschlifer 24hr. From what I've seen of that race on stream and the VLN series, it's really focused on fan interaction. During the opening lap procession they allow people to be right up onto the track limit (behind a cordon, of course) so you're literally arms length from cars as they warm up their tyres. Gotta give that a go!

steam_sig.png
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Eh, I like Kimi arguing with his own teammates better.

steam_sig.png
    I really can't get over how badass the Formula E cars look this generation. I like them a lot more than the F1 cars, as weird as it is to say.

I mean look at this. It's the Batmobile.

rfy6rcgwbt5d.jpeg

W Series:
    A bit processional after the safety cars, but holy shit, an absolutely epic scrap between Chadwick and Powell in the closing stages. Some of the best racing I've seen in a while. Well worth sticking around for.

Flawless drive from Visser too, she was basically untouchable today.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

rfy6rcgwbt5d.jpeg

Looks awesome, and also a great example of a Formula car with WAY less downforce than an F1 car, but still at the cutting edge of technological development. Also, more overtaking.

SBS On Demand dropping the ball re: W-Series once again. Even the inaugural TCR Australia race that was there yesterday is gone. Hope they both come back!

steam_sig.png
    edited May 2019
    W Series
    What's with the green flag bring deployed behind the grid before all the cars were on the grid? He walked in front of a car flapping his flag! Come on mate, switch on.
    Must have been heart-breaking for both reserve drivers DNFing, one in her home country too. Really hope they get another chance right away in Italy.
    Despite the shortened race due to back-to-back DC, I thought it was good! Plenty of action around 2-3 and 4-6 with Kuyama racing up the order to finish 8th after another poor qualifier.
    Was fantastic to see Chadwick and Powell have such a heated contest towards the end there, in such evenly matched cars in a track supposedly without many overtaking opportunities! Nuts to that, they made plenty of room for themselves as they went past each other, really good
    A fine but not particularly showy outing for Garcia but she's still in the title fight

As for the next round in 3 weeks time, I've never seen a race at Misano before so does anyone know what we can expect?

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2019
    Here's race 1 from last years F3 race 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sq-5sY8fL4

It seems like pretty decent racing with several decent overtaking corners

Edit: This morning McLaren was given Penske's setup sheet by team Penske and a new suspension package from Andretti Racing, and without any testing Alonso might have just barely qualified for the Indy 500. 4 more qualifiers to find out, and 2 must be slower.

Edit: 2 more, and both need to be slower

Edit: And McLaren fails to make the Indy 500. Alonso will have nothing to do next weekend...

Veevee on
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Billy Monger has won his first race since his crash, only 2 years is an incredible turnaround and a truly inspirational achievement.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    edited May 2019

rfy6rcgwbt5d.jpeg

Looks awesome, and also a great example of a Formula car with WAY less downforce than an F1 car, but still at the cutting edge of technological development. Also, more overtaking.

Also slow as a city bus relative to an F1 car. The reason they don't create enough turbulent air to disrupt the car behind is that they are not going fast enough to do so. If they were going 300 kph, they would have huge dirty air wake behind them. Look at low down force IndyCar packages for the 500. They still create immense turbulent wake behind them. They just happen to be so low drag naturally that the draft effect down the straights far outweighs time lost in the corners because the cars aero push so bad following to close to another car.

GnomeTank on
    280km/h is not that far off 300km/h, though I'll grant that the tracks don't allow that speed very often

280km/h is not that far off 300km/h, though I'll grant that the tracks don't allow that speed very often

The tracks they race at have almost no high speed corners, and in fact have a lot of low speed, right angle, corners, because they are city center street circuits. If they raced at full size F1 tracks, they would have plenty of dirty air related problems.

GnomeTank wrote: »

The tracks they race at have almost no high speed corners, and in fact have a lot of low speed, right angle, corners, because they are city center street circuits. If they raced at full size F1 tracks, they would have plenty of dirty air related problems.

They'd run into the issue of topping out their max speed which is why they don't race at traditional tracks with long straights

steam_sig.png
    Triple world champion Niki Lauda has died at the age of 70.

I'm gutted. It had been so great to have him back in the paddock in recent years at Mercedes. He was one of the earliest drivers I remember admiring as a kid, too.

What a huge loss. RIP.

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    vezs9cmuwgjm.gif

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
    Sad news about Niki.

But in other news, this article about McLaren's complete and total f***-up at the Indy 500 is great.

steam_sig.png
    @Drovek might want to do something about that mahoosive GIF - as gorgeous and appropriate as it is :)

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    @Drovek might want to do something about that mahoosive GIF - as gorgeous and appropriate as it is :)

Don't drink and giphy.

(Can't find any frikken way to use a smaller version, hold on.)

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    edited May 2019
    :+1:

Just didn't want you getting in trouble and eating an infraction.

I do think it was perfect for the moment, though. <3

Jazz on
    edited May 2019
    Watching a few videos for F1 2019, and it is looking really good. Here's a 4K video of catalunya in the rain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnRhwNCN3zA

My one complaint is the top left UI isn't the broadcast position tower graphic. Not having that is inexcusable (but I'm still planning on pre-ordering it soon)

Veevee on
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    I dig how the volume of water on screen changes depending on how close you are to the car in front, and how the drop fall shifts depending on whether you are turning or not.

Good Christ, that is startling. Okay, I'm impressed.

xrfrtkaqitif.jpg

edited May 2019
    Don't look at the FP2 results if you were hoping for a non-Silver Arrow win. It's not pretty (or it is, if you're a Merc fan like I am...but also, still not pretty).

As I said before, their dominance in sector 3 at Spain was a bad sign for everyone else at Monte Carlo. Mercedes car is so locked down in slow speed corners, it's absurd. They've taken their greatest weakness and made it a strength.

GnomeTank on
    Claire Williams has said "Ferrari's 'silly' rules veto has to end", and has been backed up by various team principals from Red Bull, McLaren, and Renault.

She's not wrong, IMO.

This discussion has been closed.