As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] 'Look, I'm a stamp!'

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

Wow that is a great deal.

Arkham Asylum for $4.75!

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    And it's not even Tuesday.
    It's always Tuesday in steam chat
    64754BCC0F476F6F956CD60D6E15079EC6D3B603

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    https://imageform.se/steamworld-quest-pc-release-date/

Image and Form is doing an art contest for Steamworld Quest. They will select 3 winners to receive a steam key. Looks like they are accepting art from any Steamworld game as well, though they would prefer Quest stuff.
    I did my submission today! Its the shopekeeper from Steamworld Quest which I havent played yet but hey he looks cool and most people would probably focus on the protagonists so this is a good way to stand out.

Spoiler tags for those who just wanna scroll on by.
    vGqT8r3.png

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Hey, Duskers is pretty fun!

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    My foray into Dead or Alive 6 ranked matches has seriously screwed up my Steam recommendations. First it was "Funbag Fantasy", now its recommending all kinds of weird hentai shit.

Look Steam, I read it for the articles play it for the combat mechanics, okay?! The breast physics are entirely incidental! If I were some sort of boob-obsessed pervert, why would I have picked Bayman as my main??

Nice Disguise.

I see you are a man of Culture as well.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Re: Epic

How are they so bad at this?

I don't think you guys are being very fair to Epic. If Steam was easily duplicated we would be having dozens of knock-offs. If anything Epic is showing people that its not easy and making it unlikely to see a bunch of versions of steam. I don't even mind that they only have a few things i want to play...that means my library is more or less intact with Steam forever.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    oh no. A store without a freaking SHOPPING CART is objectively shit.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »

I don't think you guys are being very fair to Epic. If Steam was easily duplicated we would be having dozens of knock-offs. If anything Epic is showing people that its not easy and making it unlikely to see a bunch of versions of steam. I don't even mind that they only have a few things i want to play...that means my library is more or less intact with Steam forever.

they don't even have a shopping cart.

• Options
    Qanamil wrote: »

Do they really need a shopping cart when they only have like 1-3 games on it you want to buy? Most people don't buy multiple games at the same time anyway. Later, sure...for now, its hardly a game breaker.

• Options
    Right now during the sale the lack of a shopping cart is a big annoyance for people, since the entire point of the sale is to get people to buy more than they would otherwise.

Other than that not many of Epic's problems have been on the consumer end really. It's a lot of stupid shit that is baffling to watch, but in the context of a free launcher that you never have to run when you're not playing a game it's barely an inconvenience.

Would be funny if they crashed and burned despite all their money dump trucks just due to sheer incompetence. It's 2019 you morons, people have figured out how to do a digital storefront by now.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular

Do they really need a shopping cart when they only have like 1-3 games on it you want to buy? Most people don't buy multiple games at the same time anyway. Later, sure...for now, its hardly a game breaker.

Short Answer: Yes

Longer Answer: Yessssssssssss

Complete Answer: Yes, it's good to have a shopping cart to be able to buy more than one game at a time in a single transaction. Buying multiple quick transactions, such as buying some games when they're on sale, is going to trip bank/credit card fraud checks if not Epic's fraudulent activity checks themselves. That the Epic Launcher still doesn't have a shopping cart (and one is Six Months out on their published roadmap) is inexcusable when they're also doing a storewide major sale.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

I buy multiple games.

Wait, are you Randy Pitchford?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I know of at least one person whose Epic account got locked for "suspicious activity" because they made several purchases in a row. During the sale.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    What's funny is Tencent (which owns 40% of Epic) has their own super successful digital game store they are planning on expanding worldwide.
    WeGame is an upgraded version of TGP (Tencent Games Platform) that already has more than 200 million active users (compared to Steam's 125 million) and over 4.5 billion downloads, and is widely considered as a direct competitor to Steam.
    The launcher (early access) includes features like user reviews, genre tags, and cloud saves and an offline mode for some games.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I don't care about buying 1 or more games, but a Shopping Cart should be a standard at this point. I mean, buying things on the Internet has been a thing for almost 20 years now.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    What's funny is Tencent (which owns 40% of Epic) has their own super successful digital game store they are planning on expanding worldwide.
    WeGame is an upgraded version of TGP (Tencent Games Platform) that already has more than 200 million active users (compared to Steam's 125 million) and over 4.5 billion downloads, and is widely considered as a direct competitor to Steam.
    The launcher (early access) includes features like user reviews, genre tags, and cloud saves and an offline mode for some games.

The PUBG vs Fortnite battle royale enters a new phase! I wonder if Tencent will censor everything on their new platform like they've been doing recently to make it communist China friendly:

6bhd88a59xw21.gif

Zavian on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I don't care about buying 1 or more games, but a Shopping Cart should be a standard at this point. I mean, buying things on the Internet has been a thing for almost 20 years now.

Epic's not the only one - I know Origin and Oculus both lack carts, too, but I do wonder why they bother to have sales events.

When Steam has a sale and it's not 1,783 items, I might browse through and put a bunch of things that look interesting in my cart, then cut it down to a dollar value that looks reasonable. When buying without a cart, every time I complete a transaction and go back I think, "Do I really need to buy this, too? I'll probably never even play it." I usually fail that save after one or two items.

Which, whatever. I have too many games and probably don't need to buy more. But I don't see how this helps them.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

The PUBG vs Fortnite battle royale enters a new phase! I wonder if Tencent will censor everything on their new platform like they've been doing recently to make it communist China friendly:

6bhd88a59xw21.gif

I know it seems stupid but I think the death animation is another angle to market vanity items.

Stripper poles every time my character dies.

Mysterious wormholes into the ground.

Magic floating pencil removes body

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Jesus that HUD...

Why does every new shooter feel compelled to cover your screen in shit?

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited May 2019

The first thing I bought on the internet was a pair of concert tickets in 1999. I remember that.

It felt like some kind of arcane sorcery.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Not buying Sundered for $5 is a crime you will go to prison if you don't this is a fact.

• Options
    Jesus that HUD...

Why does every new shooter feel compelled to cover your screen in shit?

Mobile edition

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Not buying Sundered for $5 is a crime you will go to prison if you don't this is a fact.

Well I'm not going to prison!!

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    FlorinFlorin Registered User regular
    Obligatory birthday gib, yay for another year gone forever.

signature.png

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

I buy multiple games.

What does the chief asshole from Gearbox have to do with Epic?

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »

I buy multiple games.

What does the chief asshole from Gearbox have to do with Epic?

I believe you were being called an Epic shill.

Pitchford has been shilling for Epic since BL3 exclusive deal was announced.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular

But Humble gave it to me for free.

• Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    Not related to Epic, and probably won't ever be, but the newest Touhou demo was just released on Steam. The full version is set to release after this summer's Comiket.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1079160/__Wily_Beast_and_Weakest_Creature/

Mentioning this because there's a fun story behind that demo: it originally wasn't going to be on Steam until Toby Fox told ZUN he wanted to play the demo, so ZUN decided to make it happen.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Hevach wrote: »
    Apparently the way they worked it, Epic footed the discount out of their cut so the developer cut wasn't changed. Might have just figured devs would enjoy the sales bump and not complain since it didn't cut into their per-unit revenue.

I don't see how that would work. Epic's cut is 12%, right? They're knocking $10 off $60 titles, which is more like 17%, and $10 off any title over $15 can't be coming from their cut.

Unless they're subsidizing it entirely and paying the devs full price beyond just mitigating their cut, but then it's like, you could probably afford to code a shopping cart so long as you're throwing money at sales and exclusives.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    They're straight up taking a loss to cover those sales. The $10 is out of Epic's pocket.
    But yeah I find it bizarre that a company running a retail storefront wouldn't get that publishers wouldn't all be keen on this. Like some of them might be fine with it, but to set it up in a way where people didn't opt in is wild.
    For the folks that did mind the only way for them to not participate was to be removed from the store for the duration of the sale.

It's perceived value stuff. That's why when Steam did their extra $5 off on them thing, it came off in the shopping cart rather than the site displaying those games as costing $5 less.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Given how this sale appeared out of nowhere, with none of the devs/publishers appearing to have been informed, I have to wonder if it wasn't a response to the store not taking off like they expected it to. Epic still seems pretty flabbergasted about the opposition towards their store. Like, they had some real "we'll be greeted as liberators" type thoughts when they went into this and that hasn't quite panned out like they thought.

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »

But Humble gave it to me for free.

That's fine the point is to facilitate ownership and playing of Sundered.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

The first thing I bought on the internet was a pair of concert tickets in 1999. I remember that.

Yeah. But was there a shopping cart?

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

Yeah. But was there a shopping cart?

Since I bought two (I went with a friend), I'm going to go with yes :lol:

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    When I am digital game shopping I tend to throw stuff in cart and keep browsing or sometimes sleep on decision to buy, then I rummage through it and toss everything I don't want.

• Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    Given how this sale appeared out of nowhere, with none of the devs/publishers appearing to have been informed, I have to wonder if it wasn't a response to the store not taking off like they expected it to. Epic still seems pretty flabbergasted about the opposition towards their store. Like, they had some real "we'll be greeted as liberators" type thoughts when they went into this and that hasn't quite panned out like they thought.

I'm not sure why they'd expect it to take off. Overcoming inertia is hard and having product to sell is only part of the equation. A professional storefront with robust account security matters too. Tossing money around like they have without putting a lot of thought into the storefront looks amateurish. They look like they have no clue what they're doing and that doesn't exactly instill confidence. Sure you can buy stuff from Epic but is their digital storefront still going to be around in two years? Or will it fold due to their incompetence and you'll have to buy that stuff all over again.

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Poketpixie wrote: »

I'm not sure why they'd expect it to take off. Overcoming inertia is hard and having product to sell is only part of the equation. A professional storefront with robust account security matters too. Tossing money around like they have without putting a lot of thought into the storefront looks amateurish. They look like they have no clue what they're doing and that doesn't exactly instill confidence. Sure you can buy stuff from Epic but is their digital storefront still going to be around in two years? Or will it fold due to their incompetence and you'll have to buy that stuff all over again.

I’m not going to say it’s easy, but just as a point of comparison, the last payment solution I was involved in implementing was an off-the-rack third party job; it had a cart. It took a team of four or five maybe four weeks to code the integration and test it, and another week to put it live. Add vendor selection and analysis, it was maybe two months work.

Given the bodies they have available I’m surprised the cart is that far out; it’s a quick, low resource win. Which suggests the other components have been prioritised for being in worse shape.

It really is bizarre, given their resources, that they went live in this state. I assume there’s a lot of ticked off people at ground level trying not to say ‘I told you so’ to their bosses.

Anyway. Surviving Mars is pretty fun. I made a colony! Then a meteor storm eliminated half my oxygen production and now it’s more some buildings lined with a thin organic soup. Oops.

CroakerBC on
  • Options
    Hell I bought 3 games on this sale, two got through and one is in limbo. And I missed buying BL3 for VERY cheap thanks to the lack of cart.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    EA failing to limit a $20 coupon that let me get sabateur for free looks like small potatoes now.

This discussion has been closed.